Become a Patron!

Efest battery problem, not charging correctly.... any soultions?

Blakeblood9

Member For 4 Years
hello, i have the purple efest 18650 25A 3000 mah battery to be exact.

one of the batteries says its charging as a nimh /nicd

and all my other efest charge as a typical li-ion battery.

The battery stops charging at like 1.79 volts while the other ones usally stop around 3 something

so one the batteries is permanently dead?

is there any fix with this or am i f***ed

IMFire3605

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
1) The battery may be a dud from the get go, don't use
2) Quit using Efest batteries, they are overspeced, Efest "DOES NOT" make their own batteries, they are re-wraps from the Big 4 actual manufacturers, so you never really know what actual battery cell is under the wrapper. 18650 25A 3000mah for example, the Big 4 do not even make a battery with those specifications, 25A @ 3000mah sounds like the battery could be an LG HG2 3000mah 20amp, Samsung 30Q 3000mah 20amp, or a Sony VTC6 3000mah 20amp, that 25A is the 1/2 second pulse rating not the Continuous Discharge Rating the actual manufacturer states the battery should be used at or below. There also are no 18650's on the market that exceed 30amp CDR limit, just physically can not be done in the 18650 format with current battery technology.

img_4813-jpg.643937

Above is a table of the recommended batteries for vaping specifically with valid trustworthy vendors that sell authentics, remember if the battery brand doesn't say it is from one of the Big 4 (LG, Samsung, Sony, Sanyo/Panasonic) don't trust it or buy it for vaping purposes.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sounds like a crappy charger... to me.... they should be being charged to 4.2volts as they are a 3.7volt nominal battery..... they should Both be thrown away along with the charger and replaced.

Fwiw I have Ben using 3 of those in a mech for 3 years now.... yes the EFEST is not really as good as th e label says..

But the are a good long running 15amp battery..

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The 1st question that comes to mind is how did a battery get down to 1.79 Volts to begin with.

Only BUY your batteries from trusted reputable suppliers like those listed by @IMFire3605

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
sounds like maybe the battery got ran down too far or just is bad.

Prolly a 15 amp battery with a 25 amp sticker on it.

Efest's 20A 3500 mah battery is just a 10 amp battery.
And their 35A 3000 mah is only a 15 amp battery..

Last edited:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What MOD runs batteries down below 3 Volts? That Kenny asshole is always spewing about being too close to 3 volts but below 2 volts?
I forget but I have heard of a couple that will do it. especially if you leave the battery in it for a couple of weeks.
If it gets below 1.2 volts the charger will think it is a 1.2 volt cell ie NIMh.
It is prolly just a bad battery and cannot be safely recharged up to 4.2 volts anyway.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
And you said I was ignored? But I never put a MOD away unless it is turned off. Interesting thing to check though.
I thought you might have something to contribute. But if you want to be ignored, fine with me.

If 5 clicks will turn a mod on it is never truly fully turned off.
It takes voltage/current in the CPU to count the clicks and the timing of the clicks.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I thought you might have something to contribute. But if you want to be ignored, fine with me.

You said I was ignored but you seeing my post proved that was BS.

A device can be in the off position and 5 clicks energizes the board so it is in the "Off" mode. Does that mean your PC is in standby when you think it is off because you hit the same switch? Think of a Laptop it is the same switch you hit to wake from standby as to power on it depends on the status of the board.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
OK no more poking the see ignored post for you.

Try to be nice and see what it gets you from some people.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
OK no more poking the see ignored post for you.

You arer the one who started being a dick not me. You involved yourself in another confrontation not me. I am an easy going person but I will not take shit from anyone and I have no patience for BS artists who seem to have every experience that they should be 1,000 years old. I call it like I see and you are not looking through my eyes.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
If you run a battery way too low, some chargers will assume they're a NiMh since they're in the 1.x voltage range. Theoretically another charger might be able to bring it back but I'd recommend just getting a new battery.

Many sincere thank's for bringing us back to the topic at hand!

Blakeblood9

Member For 4 Years
1) The battery may be a dud from the get go, don't use
2) Quit using Efest batteries, they are overspeced, Efest "DOES NOT" make their own batteries, they are re-wraps from the Big 4 actual manufacturers, so you never really know what actual battery cell is under the wrapper. 18650 25A 3000mah for example, the Big 4 do not even make a battery with those specifications, 25A @ 3000mah sounds like the battery could be an LG HG2 3000mah 20amp, Samsung 30Q 3000mah 20amp, or a Sony VTC6 3000mah 20amp, that 25A is the 1/2 second pulse rating not the Continuous Discharge Rating the actual manufacturer states the battery should be used at or below. There also are no 18650's on the market that exceed 30amp CDR limit, just physically can not be done in the 18650 format with current battery technology.

Above is a table of the recommended batteries for vaping specifically with valid trustworthy vendors that sell authentics, remember if the battery brand doesn't say it is from one of the Big 4 (LG, Samsung, Sony, Sanyo/Panasonic) don't trust it or buy it for vaping purposes.

damn, this very helpful, i can't thank you enough.

now my second question is why did the efest work for 5 months no issues than one day it wont charge correctly?
I forget but I have heard of a couple that will do it. especially if you leave the battery in it for a couple of weeks.
If it gets below 1.2 volts the charger will think it is a 1.2 volt cell ie NIMh.
It is prolly just a bad battery and cannot be safely recharged up to 4.2 volts anyway.

i left it charging over night and it got to 1.85v i took it off the charger and put it back on and it started charging as a li-ion and now is at 4.21v fully charged

and the battery has been working 6 months prior to this issue, am i safe?

Blakeblood9

Member For 4 Years
If you run a battery way too low, some chargers will assume they're a NiMh since they're in the 1.x voltage range. Theoretically another charger might be able to bring it back but I'd recommend just getting a new battery.

read the post above this quote, i got it fixed but is it safe?

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i left it charging over night and it got to 1.85v i took it off the charger and put it back on and it started charging as a li-ion and now is at 4.21v fully charged
According to battery experts such as Mooch the battery is not considered safe to use.

Jon@LiionWholesale

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
now my second question is why did the efest work for 5 months no issues than one day it wont charge correctly?

If it was at 1.x volts, that 's most likely not the battery's fault. Most likely what happened is it was discharged too far. Either you left it in the device and it was drained beyond where it should be or it shorted to something while outside the device and discharged. These batteries are unprotected and you have to manually take them out at 3V or so, there's nothing stopping them from being used too long and going below 2V and then potentially being unchargeable.

read the post above this quote, i got it fixed but is it safe?

The battery may or may not be OK. It definitely will not perform quite as well. There are some internal protections that may be compromised. In summary, it's possible it's fine but it's also very possible that it's less safe now, so since batteries are a handful of dollars each I would highly recommend just replacing it.

IMFire3605

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
damn, this very helpful, i can't thank you enough.

I would not trust that battery under high amp loads at all. Once a battery goes below the 2.5v charge threshold you run the risk on the electrolyte inside the battery eating away at the cathode and anode terminals (the positive and negative inside the battery), a lot of times these are made of copper and when eaten away they become micro-particles, this can lead to internal micro-shorts and potentially cause a thermal runaway which you can not stop after it starts. Best bet for you right now is to wrap that battery end to end with electrical tape, take it to a local battery recycling drop off point, here in the US places like Best Buy and Home Depot have such drop off points, and next step would be to order replacement batteries. You might, key word might, but not suggested, be able to use that battery in an 18650 flashlight or such, but still with the risk of it having been internally damaged, I still would not risk it and just recycle the battery.

Blakeblood9

Member For 4 Years
If it was at 1.x volts, that 's most likely not the battery's fault. Most likely what happened is it was discharged too far. Either you left it in the device and it was drained beyond where it should be or it shorted to something while outside the device and discharged. These batteries are unprotected and you have to manually take them out at 3V or so, there's nothing stopping them from being used too long and going below 2V and then potentially being unchangeable.

The battery may or may not be OK. It definitely will not perform quite as well. There are some internal protections that may be compromised. In summary, it's possible it's fine but it's also very possible that it's less safe now, so since batteries are a handful of dollars each I would highly recommend just replacing it.

alright yeah he doesn't use his ecig at high watts so getting top notch batteries for the 200-400w junkies would not be his best of interest nor does he have the money for the investment so its his risk, im just asking for a friend.

but if he stays at 70-80 watts (which even one battery can easily handle) he should be fine?

The reason the batteries drained so harshly was that he left his alien ecig light on overnight.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
alright yeah he doesn't use his ecig at high watts so getting top notch batteries for the 200-400w junkies would not be his best of interest nor does he have the money for the investment so its his risk, im just asking for a friend.

but if he stays at 70-80 watts (which even one battery can easily handle) he should be fine?

The reason the batteries drained so harshly was that he left his alien ecig light on overnight.
Not sure that the battery that was drained so low would be good. It is a bit of a crapshoot, mark it and keep an eye on it.
if you see any strange behaviour out of it then recycle it.
If he has a voltmeter check it and compare it to the other batterys voltage after each use for a while. If too much different then he needs a new matched pair.

Jim_MDP

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
alright yeah he doesn't use his ecig at high watts ...

There is some debate over how much, how often, or for how long you CAN exceed a battery's CDR rating.

The highest amp draw on the battery, in a regulated mod occurs at the lowest charge state (and it's the opposite with a mech mod), so in broad strokes... 60 watts per cell will max out right around 20 amps at the very end.

I'm conservative on this issue so I never push mine above about 45w per cell as a regular, all day power setting (all are 20A CDRs, except the four newly discovered faked Samsung 25Rs :( ).

70W per 20A CDR battery is pretty far outside anything I would use, or recommend. Just call me Pussy Jim. :D

With a nifty authentic 30A CDR cell? Sure.
With an Efest... ever... at any time? Not a chance in hell. ;)

dr_rox

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You guys left out the possibility it is actually an 18650 NiMH battery. I have several. Maybe the re-labelers at efest efucked up?

Jon@LiionWholesale

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Yep some 20 amp labeled Efest cells were only 10 amp cells when tested by Mooch.

We've found it's pretty much a rule that Efest batteries are half the rating on the wrapper. That's why we only carry the 35A-40A batteries, since they're really 17-20A. The 20A labeled ones are downright bad.

VU Sponsors