Become a Patron!

ECF Refugee Thread All welcome

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Almost! And this Friday... IS PAYDAY!!!!!!! yahoo! :D And this one really will be the 12-day pay period, so DOUBLE YAHOO!!! :giggle:

Andria
I wish I had a Friday. I own my own business, so I'm pretty much on the clock all the time, lol

Mondays, Fridays, never meant much to me. Spent 30 years going to work of Thursday afternoon and a week or two or even at times 4 weeks later coming home on a Thursday morning. Now that I am retired every day is like "what day is it?" :p

scwcustoms63

Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Mondays, Fridays, never meant much to me. Spent 30 years going to work of Thursday afternoon and a week or two or even at times 4 weeks later coming home on a Thursday morning. Now that I am retired every day is like "what day is it?" :p
I always have issues with what day it is, lol. I stay so busy, I never know one day from the next. But, busy is a good thing

firechick

Member For 4 Years
Coyotes are open game here. No license, no permits and no bag limit. You see them, you kill them. We are getting completely overrun here in Georgia. And before you start bashing me, remember, I didn't write the laws, lol. But, I do have to follow them. I am also licensed through the Georgia DNR for nuisance wildlife control. If I have one, and don't euthanize it, I can lose my license.
Our area had several packs one year. To hear them all making a racket at the same time was pretty cool and also unnerving for those who raise sheep and goats. We had several dozen in just a very few square miles. They had large hunts a couple years in a row and they are at a normal level again.

You need a hunting license but their aren't many rules about coyote hunting here either. It's mostly done at night. I was just amused by how a handful of animals caused such a stir the sheriff actually made a joke flyer about it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

scwcustoms63

Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Our area had several packs one year. To hear them all making a racket at the same time was pretty cool and also unnerving for those who raise sheep and goats. We had several dozen in just a very few square miles. They had large hunts a couple years in a row and they are at a normal level again.

You need a hunting license but their aren't many rules about coyote hunting here either. It's mostly done at night. I was just amused by how a handful of animals caused such a stir the sheriff actually made a joke flyer about it.

Yeah, we have a LOT around here. My neighbor has a den behind his house at the river, but he won’t let anyone hunt them, or trap them. He’s a tree hugger. I got news for him, once it’s reported, he won’t be able to stop DNR from eradicating them from his property. They pose an immediate threat being so close to people. They are so close to the houses, that on any given day, you could walk behind his house and smell them. It’s a horrid stench. Also, since they are on his property, and he was officially notified by me about the problem. So, if they attack anyone around here, he will, and can be sued. I don’t think he really understands the severity of the situation. I have shot a few of them in my front yard over the years. I haven’t seen any in a while, but I know they are still there from all the racket they make at night. If I do see them up here again, I will kill them, then call DNR and make him (the property owner) do something about them.

Last edited:

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Coyotes are open game here. No license, no permits and no bag limit. You see them, you kill them. We are getting completely overrun here in Georgia. And before you start bashing me, remember, I didn't write the laws, lol. But, I do have to follow them. I am also licensed through the Georgia DNR for nuisance wildlife control. If I have one, and don't euthanize it, I can lose my license.

We saw a coyote pup running around having a good ol time in our neighbor's yard a couple years ago. To us, we just thought it was a dog... but when our cat caught sight of it, she hightailed it for the cat cave (under my husband's bed). She KNEW it wasn't any dog! :giggle:

Doesn't bother me that GA has open season on coyotes, but I wish to hell they'd give an open season on fucking Great Horned Owls! We had to start being VERY careful to get our cat in before dusk, when we saw her being stalked by one of those fucking huge owls -- she thought she was stalking it! :facepalm:

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yeah, we have a LOT around here. My neighbor has a den behind his house at the river, but he won’t let anyone hunt them, or trap them. He’s a tree hugger. I got news for him, once it’s reported, he won’t be able to stop DNR from eradicating them from his property. They pose an immediate threat being so close to people. They are so close to the houses, that on any given day, you could walk behind his house and smell them. It’s a horrid stench. Also, since they are on his property, and he was officially notified by me about the problem. So, if they attack anyone around here, he will, and can be sued. I don’t think he really understands the severity of the situation. I have shot a few of them in my front yard over the years. I haven’t seen any in a while, but I know they are still there from all the racket they make at night. If I do see them up here again, I will kill them, then call DNR and make him (the property owner) do something about them.

BTW... how big do the full grown coyotes get? Our son swears up and down that he saw WOLVES on this lonesome country road between Winder and Lawrenceville... but I find that very hard to believe. I'm thinking, "large coyotes."

Andria

scwcustoms63

Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
We saw a coyote pup running around having a good ol time in our neighbor's yard a couple years ago. To us, we just thought it was a dog... but when our cat caught sight of it, she hightailed it for the cat cave (under my husband's bed). She KNEW it wasn't any dog! :giggle:

Doesn't bother me that GA has open season on coyotes, but I wish to hell they'd give an open season on fucking Great Horned Owls! We had to start being VERY careful to get our cat in before dusk, when we saw her being stalked by one of those fucking huge owls -- she thought she was stalking it! :facepalm:

Andria
Well, unfortunately, Owls are considered raptors, and are pretty much protected nation wide. Along with hawks, falcons and eagles of any breed. Don't ever shoot one to protect your animals. If you do, don't get caught. That's prison time.

scwcustoms63

Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
BTW... how big do the full grown coyotes get? Our son swears up and down that he saw WOLVES on this lonesome country road between Winder and Lawrenceville... but I find that very hard to believe. I'm thinking, "large coyotes."

Andria
Coyotes will never get as big as wolves. They are around the size of a border collie, and usually real skinny. 18-44lbs for the males, and 15-40 lbs for the females. Average for both is between 25-35lbs. Some get up to 40+. Just depends on if food is readily available. Average about 25 inches tall at the shoulders. Wolves get MUCH bigger. No wolves in Georgia by the way. Wolves are mostly in the NW through to the SW region of the country, with very few in the NE region.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Well, unfortunately, Owls are considered raptors, and are pretty much protected nation wide. Along with hawks, falcons and eagles of any breed. Don't ever shoot one to protect your animals. If you do, don't get caught. That's prison time.

Yeah I called the GA DNR when we saw that one, and had heard it, or possibly others, and got that news. Totally asinine; our cat is not "just an animal," she's a member of the family! We also have barred owls round here. :facepalm: In North Lawrenceville, we often saw golden eagles.

Andria

scwcustoms63

Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Yeah I called the GA DNR when we saw that one, and had heard it, or possibly others, and got that news. Totally asinine; our cat is not "just an animal," she's a member of the family! We also have barred owls round here. :facepalm: In North Lawrenceville, we often saw golden eagles.

Andria
I completely understand, but it is what it is. You may just have to keep it inside if they are that bad. We had a VERY small dog, 4lbs, and we constantly had to watch the hawks when she was outside.

scwcustoms63

Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile

Andria
I just saw the Golden Eagle part. It's not common at all for them to be in Georgia. They are extremely scarce down here in the SE region. Mainly NW-SW. They breed in extreme NW Canada and Alaska.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Coyotes will never get as big as wolves. They are around the size of a border collie, and usually real skinny. 18-44lbs for the males, and 15-40 lbs for the females. Average for both is between 25-35lbs. Some get up to 40+. Just depends on if food is readily available. Average about 25 inches tall at the shoulders. Wolves get MUCH bigger. No wolves in Georgia by the way. Wolves are mostly in the NW through to the SW region of the country, with very few in the NE region.

Ok, I didn't think so. What if coyotes managed to get into dog food or something, could they get bigger? Because I've seen some Norway rats that got into some dog food on a regular basis, and they were the size of domestic cats.

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I just saw the Golden Eagle part. It's not common at all for them to be in Georgia. They are extremely scarce down here in the SE region. Mainly NW-SW. They breed in extreme NW Canada and Alaska.

Well, the two we saw, at separate times, were birds a good bit larger than well-fed seagulls, and were a lovely golden color. The area we lived in, in N. Lawrenceville, was EXTREMELY wooded -- one day I looked up, while sitting out on the carport at that house, and saw a 10-pt buck staring at me from the front yard, HUGE animal, with the enormous shoulders, almost a hump; a real stag!

Andria

firechick

Member For 4 Years
We had a yellow colored fox that used to pull scraps out of the local butcher's ice pile in the field. It would toss them in the air and chase around with them like a dog playing with a toy. Fun as hell to watch! They don't dump ice anymore and I miss seeing that.

Our coyotes are average size. Food is plentiful and shelter isn't hard to find around here. Some years they reproduce heavily and some years you hardly hear any around. We have a LOT of rabbits, squirrels, and twin/triplet fawns around this year so I expect more fox, bobcat, and coyotes next year. They have a cycle with their food sources. If rabbits, squirrels, and stray cats are scarce we won't see many. When the prey is abundant, we see an upstick in the predators the next year andthey prey numbers drop as a result. The next year, fewer predators.

We have been seeing bald eagles the last few years too. There weren't any here in my youth but the state has been trying to bring them back. The farmers take extra measures during lambing season but there isn't much you can really do but try to have a balance with the wild things and keep the babies in a barn.

And black bears are showing up again these days. Had one cross the road in front of me last year and lots of locals are posting security camera pics of them on decks getting into bird feeders and even swimming in the lakes. We can hunt them now so they must be abundant enough.

I wouldn't trade it for city living for anything.

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
We have them too. One was in my driveway about a year ago! And you see them dragging deer carcasses off the highway.
:eek:

scwcustoms63

Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Well, the two we saw, at separate times, were birds a good bit larger than well-fed seagulls, and were a lovely golden color. The area we lived in, in N. Lawrenceville, was EXTREMELY wooded -- one day I looked up, while sitting out on the carport at that house, and saw a 10-pt buck staring at me from the front yard, HUGE animal, with the enormous shoulders, almost a hump; a real stag!

Andria
Golden Eagles are a lot bigger than Turkey Vultures. They are big enough to carry off a baby deer. They have a wingspan of 6-8 feet. They are massive.

Attachments

• Golden Eagle.jpg
    Golden Eagle.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 8

scwcustoms63

Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
We had a yellow colored fox that used to pull scraps out of the local butcher's ice pile in the field. It would toss them in the air and chase around with them like a dog playing with a toy. Fun as hell to watch! They don't dump ice anymore and I miss seeing that.

Our coyotes are average size. Food is plentiful and shelter isn't hard to find around here. Some years they reproduce heavily and some years you hardly hear any around. We have a LOT of rabbits, squirrels, and twin/triplet fawns around this year so I expect more fox, bobcat, and coyotes next year. They have a cycle with their food sources. If rabbits, squirrels, and stray cats are scarce we won't see many. When the prey is abundant, we see an upstick in the predators the next year andthey prey numbers drop as a result. The next year, fewer predators.

We have been seeing bald eagles the last few years too. There weren't any here in my youth but the state has been trying to bring them back. The farmers take extra measures during lambing season but there isn't much you can really do but try to have a balance with the wild things and keep the babies in a barn.

And black bears are showing up again these days. Had one cross the road in front of me last year and lots of locals are posting security camera pics of them on decks getting into bird feeders and even swimming in the lakes. We can hunt them now so they must be abundant enough.

I wouldn't trade it for city living for anything.

Yeah, You couldn't pay me enough to live in the city! lol

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Im a lot like Andria in this regard, my pets are family and I will protect them. Thats why around 10 years back I picked up a Gamo air rifle. It will shoot a pellet a lil faster than a .22 rifle and yes, it will kill. If a predator is threatening my pets, I will get it out. If that dont work I can always bust out the .54 Sharps carbine I have :p It has a 1000 yard effective range with that bad boy :D

scwcustoms63

Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Im a lot like Andria in this regard, my pets are family and I will protect them. Thats why around 10 years back I picked up a Gamo air rifle. It will shoot a pellet a lil faster than a .22 rifle and yes, it will kill. If a predator is threatening my pets, I will get it out. If that dont work I can always bust out the .54 Sharps carbine I have :p It has a 1000 yard effective range with that bad boy :D
Just don't get caught shooting a Raptor. Whether you kill it or not, or even miss it completely, it will be jail time and steep fines. I will protect my fur babies too, so I totally understand. Just FYI

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Just don't get caught shooting a Raptor. Whether you kill it or not, or even miss it completely, it will be jail time and steep fines. I will protect my fur babies too, so I totally understand. Just FYI

We just make sure to get Tuxie in WELL before dusk... and I never let her out before 10am anymore, after the cardinal murder and red feathers ALL OVER the garage. Gotta let the birdies do their birdie thangs in the mornings, before there's a sneaky black cat hunting them. :D She's pretty good about coming in when my husband gets home from work, shortly after 5pm, since he always gives her a handful of treats when he gets home. :D

Andria

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Look out Choppy, looks like a tropical storm headed your way this week.

Its forecasted to hit us dead on which means we probably wont get anything but maybe some rain :p

Looking at the radar there is a clockwise circulation at the texas/lousiana border and that means a high pressure. That I think will keep the storm east of us. Of the forecasted tracks they have two going right over my house and 4 going east of me but its over a day and a half away and the weather people are seldom accurate that far out. :D

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Will have to go over it a few tiumes as it got out of hand with all the running for SIL and such.
Any day it is not raining SIL has a doctors appt 1 hour away.
She had local doctors but moved to ones an hours drive away....

SIL is physical embodyment of Murphy?

View attachment 119018

PLUS

LOL, never thought of you as the leather daddy type

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
It looks like I lucked out. The storm is going further east than me and I should be ok. We will still get some weather out of it but probably nothing more than a few summer storms.

VU Sponsors