ECF Refugee Thread All welcome though - The Sequel

Discussion in 'Non-Vaping Related' started by The Cromwell, Sep 3, 2016.

1. AndriaD

AndriaD Shine on, you crazy... VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 3 Years ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    Woe is me, my PC won't boot, guess I need a new HDD? So I won't be around much till I get this resolved. :mad::xD::gaah::cry:

PC-less and infuriated
    Andria

2. Atchafalaya

Atchafalaya VU Donator Platinum Contributor Member For 2 Years ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    THAT SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chopdoc and AndriaD like this.
  3. AndriaD

AndriaD Shine on, you crazy... VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 3 Years ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    Yes it does, have to buy a new HDD *AND* new Winblows, so it'll have to be Win 10 I guess, and that REALLY sucks. And if you can't see that emoji, imagine all those in my previous msg.

Andria

4. Atchafalaya

Blog Posts:
    Yeah I finally had to get Windows 10.

5. AndriaD

Blog Posts:
    I found win 8.1 pro full edition 64 bit on Amazon for $109 so i guess that's not too bad, if I end up needing to do that. And I saw that my phone's emojis don't show up here. So here's a big ol fuck you to all this high tech shit that's fucking with me! :finger:

Andria

Atchafalaya likes this.
  6. The Cromwell

The Cromwell The Frugal Vapist VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    How about the little battery in there?
    Does it even do the POST?

Atchafalaya likes this.
  7. The Cromwell

The Cromwell The Frugal Vapist VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    I am still on 8.1 with my $399 spotted cow desktop from Wally World.
    5 years now? Maybe 4 I dunno right after win 8 came out though.
    And I upgraded to 8.1, but skipped the free upgrade to 10.

8. Atchafalaya

Blog Posts:
    Yeah. Cromwell's right. Does it even go through post? Any beeps? Do you hear the hdd spinning? Can you get to the bios?

The Cromwell likes this.
  9. The Cromwell

Blog Posts:
    Cromwell is always right.
    Except when he is wrong :oops:

JuicyLucy and Atchafalaya like this.
  10. Atchafalaya

Blog Posts:
    :stars: :zombie:

The Cromwell likes this.
  11. Atchafalaya

Blog Posts:
    Neither is "white sausage" passing mine! Been watching Lucy's video. :eek:
    It's very interesting Lucy! Other than the sausage lol

JuicyLucy and chopdoc like this.
  12. The Cromwell

Blog Posts:
  13. Atchafalaya

Blog Posts:
    OMG. A city that's just a little north of where I work is planning on Banning smoking in cars. And guess what else? Yes you guessed it. And one of the bitches that wants to do it actually smoked for 30 years.

JuicyLucy, chopdoc and The Cromwell like this.
  14. Atchafalaya

Blog Posts:
    Communism sucks

chopdoc and The Cromwell like this.
  15. Atchafalaya

Blog Posts:
    BTW it's Nollanville City Council in Texas. In case anyone wants to email them

The Cromwell likes this.
  16. The Cromwell

Blog Posts:
    Reformed smokers, etc can be hell.

The old I don't do it any more so no one can do it.

17. AndriaD

Blog Posts:
    I think so, at least till it tried to read the boot sector. The tech at microcenter said he thought the faint beeping almost certainly indicated a crashed hd. The good news I learned from him is that if I buy my new HDD from them and let them install it, they'll install my same licensed win 8.1 so I won't have to buy new Winblows. So there's an up side of I every saw one... I was gonna buy the hd from the anyway and let them install it, so not having to buy new window just underlines the wisdom of that!

Andria

chopdoc and Atchafalaya like this.
  18. Atchafalaya

Blog Posts:
    Yeah. Just like my sister.
    Andria that's great news.

chopdoc and The Cromwell like this.
  19. Atchafalaya

Blog Posts:
    How do I start a thread? I've never done it. I want to have people email these idiots!!!
    [email protected]

The City Council meeting last (Thursday) night started off with a diatribe against smoking.
    It turned out the council is considering an ordinance against smoking in vehicles in Nolanville.
    If that ordinance is passed, the locals would wait until they were out of town to light up. So what is the point of such an ordinance?

Well, I-14 runs through town. Can you imagine the amount of money that could be made on I-14? At the minimum, it would take one cop on eastbound lanes and one cop on westbound lanes 24-7-365.

Figure a minimum of two tickets per hour per cop. That’s 96 tickets per day times 365. That’s 35,040 tickets per year.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    News channel 25 KXXV
    NOLANVILLE, TX (KXXV) -

One Central Texas city wants to tighten up its smoking restrictions.

"I started smoking when I was in high school. Everybody smoked. My parents smoked, all their friends, everybody smoked, including my friends in high school. We didn't know any better," Joan Hinshaw, a Nolanville city Councilmember said.

Hinshaw smoked for 30 years before quitting.

"I wish I'd known then what I know now," Hinshaw said.

That's why Hinshaw is fighting to revise the current smoking ordinance for Nolanville along with the rest of the city council.

The revisions of the smoking ordinance are: To ban smoking in public areas, require a separate ventilation system for smoking sections in restaurants and make it illegal to smoke in a car where minors are present.

"Smoking in a car, you're really concentrating smoke in a very small area and children don't have the power to tell you to quit smoking," Hinshaw said.

"As a child, I asked my dad to stop and it never happened. He always told me he'd stop whenever he wanted to," Lynn Bilberry, another city Councilmember, said.

But not everyone supports the changes to the law.

"The way I see it, as long as you're not bothering anybody and you know, somebody hasn't said like 'hey I have asthma or I'm allergic to cigarette smoke,' what I do in public, they shouldn't be able to control that," Jeremy Bankirk said.

The new smoking policies will include all forms of tobacco, even E-cigs.

"We have a lot of people who drive through our town on I-14 and 439, and we're not looking to make millions of dollars off of this each year," Bilberry said.

There will be a probationary period before citations are written after the law goes into effect.

"We're gonna give people time to get used to the law, and if Nolanville becomes known as a place where you can get ticketed for smoking with children in your car, great," Hinshaw said.

There is a public hearing about the smoking ordinance is on July 19.

Copyright 2018 KXXV. All rights reserved.

chopdoc likes this.
  20. chopdoc

chopdoc VU Donator Gold Contributor Member For 3 Years ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:

Atchaffy, they can not enforce a city ordinance on a federal highway. It would never stand up in court. I really dont think they can enforce it anyways. I can understand them doing it for when kids are in a car but its unconstitutional to tell grown adults they can not do something that is legal just because they dont like it. Adults have the option of deciding not to ride with someone because they smoke where kids dont have that option so a law against smoking in a car with kids would be hard to fight, but this here wont fly.

Atchafalaya likes this.
  21. Atchafalaya

Blog Posts:
    Nolanville is dirty and underhanded. Even people in Germany know about Nolanville. They'll write the tickets first and then you'll have a battle to face to not have to pay. I emailed Debadoo and she's going to see about speaking at the next council meeting. Grrrrrrrr

chopdoc likes this.
  22. chopdoc

Blog Posts:
    Mornin yall and GFY :p

Gotta send lil boy Rascal home soon. He done pissed me off! Girl doggy that the neighbors moved out and abandoned is in love with Rascal and he is in love with her. She is coming into heat and Rascal is hot to trot and wants out every 10 minute because she might be in the yard ready to have sex with him, or so he thinks. Last few days that lil puppy boy has been throwing his puppy boy tantrums because he thinks I need to take him out 20 times a day. Not gonna happen. So gonna send him to his mommy's for a few weeks until she goes out of heat and he learns what side his kibble is buttered on :teehee:

inspects, AndriaD and Atchafalaya like this.
  23. chopdoc

Blog Posts:
    Thats how things work Atchaffy. These dumb asses will pass the ordinance, they will write a couple tickets and then someone will take it to a federal court, have an injunction issued that will stop them from being able to write any more tickets until the constitutionality of it can be determined, and then it will be strucked down. With the interstate, that is federal land I believe and they cant enforce a city ordnance on federal land, they dont have the jurisdiction for it.

24. Atchafalaya

Blog Posts:
    Well it makes me want to scream, cry, all of the above. Andria is right. Those young cloud blowers are screwing it all up. :( Because they stand on the corners of stores (at least here) and blow huge clouds when people are walking in with their kids. It's giving vaping a bad wrap.
    Anyway, I want people to FLOOD them with emails. Even if we can't do anything about it, we can make life miserable for a while. :devil:

inspects, The Cromwell and chopdoc like this.
  25. chopdoc

Blog Posts:
    I hear ya girl but in situations like this I try to remember what I heard many years ago. Something like %98 of everything we worry about never comes to pass.

inspects and Atchafalaya like this.
  26. Atchafalaya

Blog Posts:
    Well. It didn't work. I posted in several threads asking for emails and was turned down by quite a few people. I guess people don't care that much anymore. My last day for vaping is August 22. Done with the WTA and only taking a few puffs a day. <------ hey, that rhymed.
    I'll still pop in here every now and then.

27. The Cromwell

Blog Posts:
    Damn will miss you Atcha.

On the emails.
    I wore myself out with polls, surveys, emails and even calls about vaping for 3 years.
    Just too old to keep it up. And the industry does not seem to care much either.
    I lost the faith.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018 at 6:44 AM
    inspects, chopdoc and Atchafalaya like this.
  28. Atchafalaya

Blog Posts:
    Yea I did too for a while. Until I saw the news last night. Now, I feel ashamed of what I wrote on that other thread about overweight people. I was just trying to make a point that people should live how they want without being judged.
    I have to quit vaping. I was recently diagnosed with emphysema and can hardly breathe at night. :( I'll be around. For sure! I love you guys.

29. The Cromwell

Blog Posts:

over weight people...

I am off to Wally world in a few minutes to take the wife unit and SIL shopping....

SO SO sorry about your Emphysema diagnosis.
    Yep I agree you should quit vaping.
    Me I just suffer from general old age deprepitancy. Lungs still in good shape amazingly enough.

30. Atchafalaya

Blog Posts:
    Have fun!

inspects and chopdoc like this.
  31. The Cromwell

Blog Posts:
    And Please do hang out with us!

32. Atchafalaya

Blog Posts:
    I will

inspects, The Cromwell and chopdoc like this.
  33. chopdoc

Blog Posts:
    I gotta side with Bob here. Emailing and all that dont work. You can send a million emails but if they dont read a single one and care less about them, then whats the point.

34. chopdoc

Blog Posts:
    If ya dont Im gonna stop letting you steal all my FB memes :teehee:

35. AndriaD

Blog Posts:
    Y'know... just because you beat the *chemical* addiction doesn't do a damn thing for the behavioral -- and that's a LOT harder to beat, for ANYTHING.

Andria

Atchafalaya, chopdoc and inspects like this.
  36. AndriaD

Blog Posts:
    And BTW, I have a working PC again, but now I gotta reinstall all my programs, and get this damn browser to stop underlining shit it doesn't recognize. Idiot programs. :gaah:

$39.95 yesterday for the diagnostic... $208-some odd today... So that $280 I paid on my Visa at the end of last month just about got eaten up, but thank god I made it, or I wouldn't have been able to afford a new HD and hardware/software installation. Fri 13 came a day early for me. Fucking karma, though I don't really know for WHAT, but I'm sure I musta done SOMETHING.

Andria

37. AndriaD

Blog Posts:
    Oh, and I fucking HATE the new firefox, which is the thing i can't make stop underlining shit, or suggesting shit, and it's driving me BATSHIT. I'm thinking firefox just shot itself in the foot by trying to be chrome and failing miserably -- I can turn that annoying shit off in chrome!

Andria

Atchafalaya, chopdoc and inspects like this.
  38. SteveS45

SteveS45 Diamond Contributor Member For 2 Years ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    From your previous posts and how much you know about PC's I am surprised you paid for diagnosis and you couldn't do it yourself. A 1TB drive is less than $100 these days.

Atchafalaya and chopdoc like this.
  39. AndriaD

Blog Posts:
    Ok, so now I'm in chrome, on my PC, and chrome is so sweet, saving all my stuff from one device to another. Firefox is a wannabe.

Andria

40. SteveS45

Blog Posts:
    You will find out what a resource hog Chrome is and how your search history is used when you do a little research............. Just my opinion from 1st hand experience you must keep in mind.

Atchafalaya likes this.
  41. JuicyLucy

JuicyLucy My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 2 Years ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:

Dang sweetie - going to miss you if you don't hang out anymore :blowkiss:

42. SteveS45

Blog Posts:
    Once they get the Emphysema properly taken care of I hope you can continue to vape because my Dad is not bothered by my vaping even though he is on O2 24/7 so with proper treatment you might be able to still enjoy vaping. Maybe not chain vaping but a few puffs a day, you will probably have to use inhalers which are PG. My thoughts and prayer are so totally with you my friend~!

Atchafalaya likes this.
  43. AndriaD

Blog Posts:
    I have had the most INFURIATING evening. I discovered that, rather than the win 8.1 I liked so much, the microcenter fuckers installed Win10! ARGH! I was gonna go back to microcenter tomorrow and raise every kind of hell, because not only is it not what I had before, I purposely bought this particular laptop BECAUSE it ran win 8.1 and not win10... and also it seemed that I couldn't get my dual monitor setup working properly... but after much pulling of hair, gnashing of teeth, and invention of new cusswords for both Microsoft and microcenter, I have FINALLY gotten my dual display to work properly -- wrapping the background images across both screens.

So I may just leave well enough alone and hope that with a new hd and win10, I really can get another 2-5 yrs out of this machine before something else goes kaput and/or microsoft obsoletes Win10.

But this means that not only do I have a shitload of programs to reinstall, I have to learn to navigate a new version of winblows... ARGH. This is what has caused me so much aggravation tonight, since I couldn't easily figure out how to get the background image wrapped rather than merely duplicated or trapping my mouse cursor in one display or the other. Infuriating.

Andria

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018 at 12:59 PM
    inspects, Atchafalaya and JuicyLucy like this.
  44. MyMagicMist

MyMagicMist Gold Contributor Member For 2 Years ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    It has shot itself in the foot a good bit in the recent past. A lot of its coding is bloated and no longer secure. Been using Pale Moon, Cyberfox, Waterfox, Vivaldi, Slimjet, Netsurf, QupZilla, Chromium here and leaning to affinity with cyberfox & Waterfox. Thinking with Firefox's last upgrade it may have lost me as a user, the coding issues and some user interface ones combined just make it untenable.

*best Ukrian accent* "In Mother Russia the Communism it does not suck, instead the Communism in Mother Russia, she bites it off for you."

Went throught that with Shrek, as little as he is, he tried mounting a Great Pyranees& Lab mixed bitch. He ended up outside for a whole week. Came in nearly starved. That helped ease my argument of "but it's not natural" when it came time to put the fix in. Not natural for them to be so all fired horny they rather not eat, either.

The funny aspect to it, the one pup Groucho, he always liked Shrek and seemed to look up to him as a "papa". I asked Grouchy if he listened to his little papa. Oddly enough here's little Shrek guiding big old bear Grouchy down to their pen. Grouchy didn't give him any gruff. Who knows? Maybe the little fella did manage to muddy his turtle. *grin*

For a while Mimmy attended a Southern Baptist church. As Mimmy went there, so too did a few of the family for a while. That's where I met Preacher Les whom I called father Les or father. Menonites do that as well as Catholics, not quite sure why but at any given Father Les had a similar saying.

"98% of all of it like Jesus says will come to pass. If it doesn't you got my permission to eat a healthy dose of beans and deviled eggs. It'll pass then," he would tell folks worrying over stuff. Mimmy bless her, nearly cried she laughed so hard. That was a beautiful sight too, seeing and hearing her laugh. She didn't do it enough.

Ah, goodness 4 am. I should go rack out, or be up still, ... Alright, this Bozo is racking it. Nitol.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018 at 4:00 AM
  45. AndriaD

Blog Posts:
    Yeah, I haven't uninstalled it (yet), but I see that in the near future. This new Microsoft Edge, their new version of IE, might be worth checking out, but for the moment I'm still a Chrome gal, just love having all my bookmarks and settings available across all my devices.

Had a sheer heart moment a minute ago when I first sat down to the computer -- it was off, though I didn't turn it off when I went to bed -- just like Thursday "morning" -- and when I turned it on, the first thing it showed me after "Acer" was "no bootable device" -- OMFG! But the 2nd time, it booted... so I'm not sure what the deal is, but I do know I need to set the bastard not to turn itself off.

Andria

46. MyMagicMist

MyMagicMist Gold Contributor Member For 2 Years ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    In Linux/Unix there's a command called rm. The rm command ReMoves whatever you add as an argument. I.E, rm ~/testfile1.asc will remove the file testfile1.asc, an armored text file in your home directory. Well, in *nix you can assign the commands different fake names or aliases. A parameter of rm is -f so it will forcibly remove the file.

$ rm -f ~testfile1.asc

That removes the file no matter what. When I say removes, it fully removes it and doesn't mask it over with delete. I have even set up my rm command to call another program called shred. Shred re-allocates the data space a file took up, zeros that data out so as to free it for any other files. There's no data forensics that can recover a shred file as it fills in the data space where a file might have existed. Journal space in *nix sees it all as a file, ergo, where does one file start and another end?

At any given *nix folks remind fresh hackers. "Do not alias rm, your computer will do that for you. You'll wake one morning to run ls which LiSts the files in a directory. Unfortunately the computer will have aliased the followin to ls. $ rm -f / ." That is the command that wipes out the entire hard drive. Why does it do this? Well, it's a roving hacker joke embeded into the systems coding somewhere, is anyone's best guess. Never been able to track it down.

Most swear it's gremlin who is apt to help you by forcing you to keep your software concurrent. "Oh look, you have to re-install everything now. Guess you'll get newer versions of everything too. Score one for security!" :)

Computers are tools we've made, just like we made guns. Either one can be useful enough or take turn and be deadly. It's not the tool though at fault but the human operator. Inanimate objects have yet to be proven to have intention. Without intent a thing is merely a thing. Things do no harm. It's the humans creating them that visit harm, in making errors, in deliberate intent. I digress though.

Made up a nice 2*24 awg 30 awg Fused Clapton 6 wraps around 3 mm inner diameter. It fills up the Wasp Nano, reading out at 0.30 ohms +/- 0.02. Real good vape on it this morning. :)

We did extremely well on our two inspections this past week. :) The state inspector lady was scared to to inspect us, my house was that wonderfully clean and tidy. :)

Got word of some bad news this morning. One of wife's aunts died. She had been going to hospital for some heart issues. Her husband was up in OH driving water truck. He's ourfly boy having been Air Force. He is jokingly "Big Ugly", he chuckles and fires back "Big Scary" at me. Me and wife agreed he'll likely be beside himself.

If it's not one thing it's half a dozen more. She said, "hope this doesn't start a trend." I reminded her that life is what it is and naught we can do. I hope too it doesn't trend.

Well, I need to do some brainstorming free writing today. Got three different stories kind of back logged in the mind. Not good to simmer them down like that, or so the therapist thinks. ;) Besides my wife wants me to write out the story behind the phrase, "home is where the heart is". She thinks I can make it so frightening it'll chill the dead.

Y'all run 'er slow. :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :wave: :)

47. AndriaD

Blog Posts:
    Not sure what any *nix has to do with Windows, since winblows is nothing like them at all. I'm just crossing my fingers that i don't have some significant ROM failure that contributed to my HDD crash.

Andria

Atchafalaya, MyMagicMist and chopdoc like this.
  48. chopdoc

Blog Posts:
    mornin fugee's :p

Back in the late 90's I use to like to play around with Linux Mandrake and a few other flavors of linux. Back then you used the command terminal or in Windows logo the C:\ a good bit. Around 2004 I got hooked on Warcraft and went back to Windoze. Around a decade later I was talking with one of the newer guys on my crew and he was telling me how he cut the Windows ties and went full Linux Ubuntu.
    Debian is the most used variant of Linux and Ubuntu, Mint and other operating systems are based on the Debian flavor. Linux Mint which is based off of Ubuntu was what I picked to use. I tried others but Mint I liked the best. The user interface was very much like Win 7 without the bloat. Lightning fast and pretty much zero problems. Very little need to use a command interface (the ol C:\) and on the few occasions that you have to use it, usually a simple googe will find what you are wanting to do and give you the exact code you need. You just have to copy and paste, enter your superuser password and Linux does the rest. Pretty pain free. I had a couple problems that really kicked my ass but thats what forums are for and there is many of them out there with people who are happy to help. If you prefer the Win 10 way, then Ubuntu is for you.

Doing things like Morely was chattin about, like the "ls" command, I might of had to use that maybe once in the last couple years. Thats because Linux, especially variants like Mint and Ubuntu are way past that and its %98 graphic user interface just like windows. The best thing about Linux is its free. Wanna try it? simple. Down load the ISO image for any variant you want to try. Put it on a thumb drive or CD or whatever you want to boot from, make it bootable and then tell your bios to boot from it. Restart your PC and viola. Your running Linux. (really slow doing this on a CD) If you want it permanent, thats simple. Install it and linux will partition your hard disc with out harming windows and make it where when you turn on your computer you will have a choice, to load windows or load linux. Simple and easy to do.

inspects and Atchafalaya like this.
  49. JuicyLucy

JuicyLucy My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic VU Donator Diamond Contributor Member For 2 Years ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
  50. AndriaD

Blog Posts:
    Lotta quiet going on today. I've decided that Win10 doesn't seem as horrible as I'd heard; bluetooth works, which it never did with win 8.1 -- I can use my BT earbuds or speaker, though I've yet to try syncing that speaker when it's in the kitchen -- the PC is in the bedroom, and I dunno how well BT will work, 2 rooms away, though it's probably only about 15-20 ft.

The new drive, at 7200RPM, is noticeably faster than the old 5400RPM; Photoshop loads WAYYYYY faster than it used to. :) And since I was doing all this techie shit, I got my lost and found dept (my husband) to hunt up my old 25ft ethernet cable, so I could hardwire the PC to the router and see if I really get that 100mbits that I upgraded to, and yeah, it's actually more like 120mbits, so VU loads WAYYYYYY faster. :D Using wi-fi rather than the ethernet cable, I was only getting about 40mbits.

The only things I really dislike about win10 so far are mostly aesthetic; if you keep the taskbar at regular size, it's got that horrible search bar in it, and the only way to get rid of that is to make the taskbar icons "small", which equates to "these old eyes can barely make out what they are!" :facepalm: Yet the desktop icons are so large, with so much room between, they might as well be CGA -- I always resized them to be rather smaller than the default, and more closely spaced, but that's no longer an option. :(

Andria

inspects, Atchafalaya and chopdoc like this.