Become a Patron!

ECF Refugee Thread All welcome

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just checked and the Dyson V6 weighs 4.5 lbs.
I wanted to get the shark but the wife is sucked in by commercials....

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
It is the Dyson V6.
Yeah it is good for linoleum or wood but useless for rugs and carpet.
wife wanted a really light weight one so she could use it..
LOL
What I figured before I got it. In the several months we have had it she has got it out to use maybe 2X and not even run the batteries down either time :)

Heck a few years ago our old vacuum died and she did not even know it had for 6 months....
She finally wondered why I was using a shop vac.

Oh, I have an old one that runs on a plug - its very good but the attachment is weak.

My old $50 dirt devil attachment worked better

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oh, I have an old one that runs on a plug - its very good but the attachment is weak.

My old $50 dirt devil attachment worked better
I have an el cheapo Sears Canister type that works fine. Works better then the Dyson actually. But the wife is more into the cool factor than I.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I just wanted one that wasn't a bastard to either push or pull, wasn't too noisy, but powerful, and HAD NO FUCKING CORD! And didn't require me to mortgage my offspring, which, sadly, the Dyson would have. :D I didn't even spend $700 on a dryer, think I got it for $300, when BestBuy was running a 25% off sale, and that awesome smooth-top stove I bought last summer, was regularly $899, but thanks to a tiny dent and tinier ding, I got it for $410. :) So there is no way I would spend $700 on a damn vacuum!

Andria

LynnNC

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Back in the late 90's I bought a rainbow vacuum with all the accessories for $2K. It was a lot, especially back then but as the lil lady said back then, she was going thru one or more a year. (god she drove me nuts with all the damn vacuuming) Rainbow contacted us maybe 7 or 8 years ago and a guy came out to the house and did a free service to it. Replaced a couple parts, tried to sell us a new one and left. I havent had to buy a vacuum since and it still works as good as the day it was new.
Same here choppy. The one I have belonged to my mom. She purchased it in 1994-5. I still use it and that thing will suck up everything and then some.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
This is the one I bought -- and notice it says $199? It was $197 when I bought mine Wed. night. :D :D :D

sharkvac.jpg

I looked first at the one that was $99, but folks said the runtime was shit, and the battery wasn't removable. This one has the "Ion" type battery pack, which is removable/rechargeable, which is a huge plus, and the reason I spent the extra $99 to get the 2nd batt and dual charger from QVC -- reg price on that is $129. :)

Andria

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
My buddy loved my attitude. I didnt know a damn thing about finish carpentry when I started with him but my drive and wanting to learn it all is what made me not only a friend but a valuable employee. Kids today dont have a clue. Too many times they got a prize just for showing up and have no drive to be the best they can be. Its sad. very sad. A lot of times I think ol John Wayne would roll over in his grave if he new what these youngsters are like today.

I agree the Duke would be rolling over. Recall watching Rooster and seeing that it was not an act with him, as he was squared off to his sons. He got out and kept going and if didn't like that you better move aside.

Finish carpentry has eluded me up to this point. Not anywhere near competent enough to do that and can admit as much. I got a general rough farming and tossing up pole structures carpentry from old mules. About the fanciest thing I was taught was mortise and tenon & some dovetailing, or rabbiting joints for use in like drawers or cabinetry. Been many a moon ago and I never really comfortable doing them. I can but there's likely better to do 'em.

I know, don't get better not doing. Need to get back to doing, really do.

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I agree the Duke would be rolling over. Recall watching Rooster and seeing that it was not an act with him, as he was squared off to his sons. He got out and kept going and if didn't like that you better move aside.

Finish carpentry has eluded me up to this point. Not anywhere near competent enough to do that and can admit as much. I got a general rough farming and tossing up pole structures carpentry from old mules. About the fanciest thing I was taught was mortise and tenon & some dovetailing, or rabbiting joints for use in like drawers or cabinetry. Been many a moon ago and I never really comfortable doing them. I can but there's likely better to do 'em.

I know, don't get better not doing. Need to get back to doing, really do.

I know how you feel Morely, many talents I wish I had simply eludes me. I do the best I can and thats all I can do :p

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I know how you feel Morely, many talents I wish I had simply eludes me. I do the best I can and thats all I can do :p

I know what you mean - I come from a family (on mom and dad's side both) of highly gifted musicians - some who are/were professional and made a living at it - I can barely rock a Kazoo and my voice is so terrible I won't even sing in the shower to myself :eek:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I know what you mean - I come from a family (on mom and dad's side both) of highly gifted musicians - some who are/were professional and made a living at it - I can barely rock a Kazoo and my voice is so terrible I won't even sing in the shower to myself :eek:
sounds like me.
Heck I never could even remember all the words to a song.
So playing notes and such is just impossible.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
sounds like me.
Heck I never could even remember all the words to a song.
So playing notes and such is just impossible.

2-3 different skillsets/abilities/parts of the brain. Remembering words is just memory. Playing any instrument other than a piano or the drums is about how well you hear and can reproduce tones. Singing is an actual learned skill, but it does require a good ear. I can remember words pretty easily because having a tune is like a mnemonic device; I have what my violin teacher called "the best relative pitch she'd ever heard" -- relative meaning if you give me a tone, I can find all the others. But singing? Well... I'm not terrible, I can carry a tune thx to my good ear, but I've never had any training; when speaking, I have a very mild/barely there southern accent, but singing brings it out, so that anything I sing sounds like a country song. :giggle: But my singing voice has changed a lot since i quit smoking. I got back some of the low-soprano that I lost in my teens, thx to smoking, but lost the deeper tones I gained as a smoker; I'm still more or less an alto voice, just slightly higher now. But sometimes the phlegm from vaping makes singing impossible.

Andria

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
And I gots no rhythm.
Can't keep something flowing that long, always interruptions :gaah:

Strange thing is all my musical friends say I have the most critical ear for music than anyone they know.
Input circuits work fine but output circuits are kibbitzed.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Also takes agility and coordination - reed instruments require a lot more stamina and good lungs to boot

And quite a few of the instruments that are activated by "wind" require you to not have buck teeth -- our son wanted to play the sax, but the "bunny teeth" he had as a child nixed that idea. He could have handled the flute and possibly the clarinet... but it ended up that our credit couldn't handle buying an instrument, at that point. But our son was very musically motivated -- he joined the chorus, since his vocal cords were already provided. I thought he was tone deaf, and the teacher would soon nix his chorus plans too... but it turned out that he just needed teaching; once he got that, he has a MARVELOUS voice. And pretty good acting skills too -- he played the old jewish man Tevye in his middle school's production of Fiddler on the Roof -- he even called up my ex and got some coaching on the yiddish accent. :giggle:

And his head grew sufficiently to make braces unnecessary, as I was fairly certain would be the case. I recall some pics of me around age 8 and my front teeth looked enormous -- but I never actually needed braces. Adult teeth almost always look funny in a child-sized head.

Andria

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I use Free Youtube Down loader and get all my MP3's from Youtube.

I use a site online that converts the video to mp3 format and I will save them, burn it to a CD and play it in the car for a year or two. Think last time I did it I was able to get fifty some songs on the CD.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I use a site online that converts the video to mp3 format and I will save them, burn it to a CD and play it in the car for a year or two. Think last time I did it I was able to get fifty some songs on the CD.
Ahh but you can get a thousand or more songs on a microSD card.
I just use 1 gig ones and can't fill em up.

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Ahh but you can get a thousand or more songs on a microSD card.
I just use 1 gig ones and can't fill em up.

Have a few thumbdrives with a couple songs on them lol

Prob with those is none of my vehicles will let me play music off of them. The mustang I use to have had a jack in the center console that would let me plug my phone into it. Used that a lot playing Pandora on it. Those 2 1/2 hr drives I use to have to make for going to work, that was real nice to have.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
One of the best features of the truck we bought in Dec 2016 is the 2 USB ports -- so not only can we charge phones and mods, we can also plug in thumb drives, loaded with music. Beats hell out of CDs!

Andria

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
One of the best features of the truck we bought in Dec 2016 is the 2 USB ports -- so not only can we charge phones and mods, we can also plug in thumb drives, loaded with music. Beats hell out of CDs!

Andria
Damn, never thought of that....:crazy:

Thanks for the info Andria...I'm a little behind times.....:teehee:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Have a few thumbdrives with a couple songs on them lol

Prob with those is none of my vehicles will let me play music off of them. The mustang I use to have had a jack in the center console that would let me plug my phone into it. Used that a lot playing Pandora on it. Those 2 1/2 hr drives I use to have to make for going to work, that was real nice to have.
I got a little FM transmitter/mp3 player that plugs in the cig lighter.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Damn, never thought of that....:crazy:

Thanks for the info Andria...I'm a little behind times.....:teehee:

Yeah it's got the usual "cigarette lighter" thingie, and an extra one of those in the front-seat console (between the seats in front) along with the 2 USB ports... and at some point I acquired a charger that plugs into that kind of thing, so I could charge my mods, and my husband could charge his cellphone, with those... but my phone uses a USB-C connector, so it's good that we also have the USB ports. :) The storage area in that console is a veritable NEST of USB cables, both the regular and the USB-C.. plus that lighter-gizmo, and 3 or 4 thumb drives. :D

Andria

LynnNC

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Good morning fugees! I’m enjoying my first official day of vacation. Actually I was off yesterday but still had to go in only to be sent back home. Yep, I actually danced my way out of the place! Lol One question though...how do y’all that do this every day do this? I’ve done everything that’s on my to-do list already and it’s only 10:38. And I have the rest of the week until next Monday to fill time. I don’t know if I’m going to make it. Lol

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Good morning fugees! I’m enjoying my first official day of vacation. Actually I was off yesterday but still had to go in only to be sent back home. Yep, I actually danced my way out of the place! Lol One question though...how do y’all that do this every day do this? I’ve done everything that’s on my to-do list already and it’s only 10:38. And I have the rest of the week until next Monday to fill time. I don’t know if I’m going to make it. Lol
Some of us are more efficient at doing nothing?

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ooohh yeah! One thing that’s going to help is when Laura’s friend comes to get Noah. He’s not a problem it’s just every time I get started doing something, he needs something. After he gets gone, I can get into some more labor intensive projects. :)
Yeah I kind have the same problem with the wife unit.
But no one is coming to get her....

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

1) I don't normally have a to-do list, unless it's xmas;
2) I sleep till 11-12-1 or so. :)
3) I read a lot and play on the PC a lot, and really don't give a single rat's ass about housework, other than laundry and meals/dishes.

I have several loads of laundry behind me whispering that they need to be done before the loads get any larger. I might do one of them today. ;)

The key is... SLACK. Don't worry about it. If it doesn't get done today, it probably wasn't that important, and there's always tomorrow.

Andria

LynnNC

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well..since Noah has left I've done my laundry so now all of my work clothes have been washed, dried, folded and put away waiting for next week. Changed the sheets on my bed and remade it. I've went and got dog food then fed and watered the dogs, fed and watered the cats, changed the litter boxes, and cleaned the counters and stove. Now I'm sitting here chilling cause it's hot as hell outside!

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I did something important today too: took the steaks out of the freezer for tomorrow! That was a head-slap moment, when I realized, hey, we're cooking out tomorrow, I better get those frozen slabs of beef out of the freezer if they're gonna be ready to grill! I meant to do it last night! But if they don't feel soft when I cook breakfast tomorrow, I'll take them out and let them stay on the counter for a while.

Andria

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A man is charged in connection with a shooting near a bingo hall.

Harvey+Kissick.jpg

Police arrested Harvey Kissick in the case. He faces two counts of assault.

The shooting happened sometime around 10 p.m. near Cave Run Bingo near Farmers, west of Morehead. The bingo hall was closed at the time.

The sheriff's office told WKYT people were setting off fireworks in a parking lot next to the bingo hall when Kissick came out of his home and fired at least two shots from across the street.

Two men were struck by the gunfire. Both victims were taken to the University of Kentucky Hospital.

A special response team with the Morehead Police Department responded to Kissick's home. He was arrested hours later without incident.

Police said alcohol, drugs or both may have been involved.

This was NOT me. They were not on my lawn.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
A man is charged in connection with a shooting near a bingo hall.

Harvey+Kissick.jpg

Police arrested Harvey Kissick in the case. He faces two counts of assault.

The shooting happened sometime around 10 p.m. near Cave Run Bingo near Farmers, west of Morehead. The bingo hall was closed at the time.

The sheriff's office told WKYT people were setting off fireworks in a parking lot next to the bingo hall when Kissick came out of his home and fired at least two shots from across the street.

Two men were struck by the gunfire. Both victims were taken to the University of Kentucky Hospital.

A special response team with the Morehead Police Department responded to Kissick's home. He was arrested hours later without incident.

Police said alcohol, drugs or both may have been involved.

This was NOT me. They were not on my lawn.

Skip to about minute 1:25...

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
We actually have pretty decent weather today; 85 right now, high of 87; 61% humidity -- which is damn low for July in ATL! The heat index right now says 92. I'll take it! We're gonna cook out, but that won't be till tonight. My husband says he's gonna mow the front yard.

Happy 4th y'all. Don't get drunk and play with gunpowder, for god's sake.

Andria

VU Sponsors