Become a Patron!

ECF Refugee Thread All welcome

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I find that with a lot of different books as well. Wife does also.

Ah, not sure how I missed George fucking RR Martin. *chuckles* Probably was too busy with Anne Rice, Poppy Z. Brite and a few others not coming to mind, likely from their lack of good stories. One of those times book images was better than tell lie vision or movie ones, Lestat. Tom Cruise? WTF, who got that wrong? *lol*

Think I recall seeing a double feature in about 1974 at a main street old time matinee for neighborhood kids. The features were Bela Lugosi's Dracula & Max Schreck's Nosferatu . I then read Bram Stoker’s Dracula in the first grade, roughly 1975-76 or so, then forgot it, read it again later on.

I think the best Lastat I seen was Queen of the Damned. That was a good move. Love the music in it.

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
LOL your avatar reminds me of an english teacher I had in HS.
hahaha!
Yea, it's how I've been feeling lately. Big boss came in and told me I would have to remove the filters and get a doctor's note. I haven't taken them down yet...................................
Got home after work yesterday and my brother-in-law had come over and helped himself to food in my frig. And, left dog food in the living room. Well, I've told him 100's of times NOT to do that because I carefully monitor my dog's food intakes. He still does it. And this time, ants were all over. First time I've ever gotten ants in the house. Well, Mr. Freeman is old and cannot get up very well anymore and now, he has ant bites. I was LIVID. I'm going to have to find a new dog sitter for when I go out of town. And change the locks on my doors.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Ah, not sure how I missed George fucking RR Martin. *chuckles* Probably was too busy with Anne Rice, Poppy Z. Brite and a few others not coming to mind, likely from their lack of good stories. One of those times book images was better than tell lie vision or movie ones, Lestat. Tom Cruise? WTF, who got that wrong? *lol*

Geez, THAT's the damn truth. The ONLY time in that movie when Cruise was believable as Lestat was in the VERY last sequence, which wasn't even IN the book! That "I trust I need no introduction" was PERFECTLY Lestat... but Rice never wrote it, so how Lestat could it really be? Dark-haired, dark-eyed people are NEVER believable as blondes, it just looks weird... and he's at least FOUR INCHES too damn short! I thought Kevin Sorbo would have made a much better Lestat -- he's tall enough for one thing! -- and would have been believable as the "wolf killer" that attracted the attention of the vampire who made him. :facepalm:

The only person in that book who was cast accurately in the movie was Brad Pitt as Louis. I can understand why they cast an actress a bit older for what's-her-name, since in the book she was like 3 or 4 yrs old, and she did a good job... but the makers of that movie rode roughshod over the book, and I can't believe Rice allowed it. And yes, Stuart Townsend made a better Lestat... but still not fucking tall enough!!! If Townsend is 6 ft tall, I'm a monkey's uncle! Aisha Tyler was taller than him in 13, fer cryin out loud!

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Love Game of Thrones and it pisses me off at the same time :teehee:

I started reading the books. There was no gay scenes in it that I remembered yet hollywood decided to change that. I care less if anyone is gay or not. I really dont give a flying damn. My niece is gay and I always thought her wife is a wonderful gal and the best thing that ever happened to my niece. But damn, why the hell does Hollywood have to take an epic story like that and use it for their pro gay agenda? I always believe we all have the right to do whatever our heart desires as long as it not hurting anyone else. That does not mean I want a ring side seat to watch it.

For those who like to read, its a great series to dive into. A lot of difference between the show and the book and worth the read IMHO. The story line is epic and I have bought all seasons and am waiting on the last season being filmed now. HBO said this is the last season but they plan on 4 spin offs from GoT.

If they ever show up cheaply as ebooks (and I get a notification of that via BookBub), I might read them... but not the huge hardback tomes that my son owns, I'm not a freaking weight lifter! :giggle: I sometimes will still read actual paper books, but usually only if 1) they're in paperback, and/or 2) they're a continuation of a series I've already started -- the Outlanders are a good example of that last, though I was able to find the Lord John books in ebook format.

The gay stuff doesn't bother me at all... and since last night we started on the "Faith Militant" stuff, it makes sense they would either add or accentuate it, since homosexuality has LONG been considered "unnatural" and "blasphemous".

One thing they got right about it -- although some gay people are STRICTLY gay, there are plenty of others willing to temporarily (or even permanently) switch teams. When I was in my early 20s, I thought I was a lesbian... but I've only ever fallen in love with one female.... and quite a few males, especially including the 2 men I ended up marrying. I think it's because I've always thought that what was between a person's ears was FAR more important than what's between their legs.

Andria

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I think it's because I've always thought that what was between a person's ears was FAR more important than what's between their legs.

I seem agreeable to that along with a sense of love is love & we all ought to live and let live. Have loved a few men, loved a few women. I've enjoyed sex for the sake of sex with both as well. My own preference is not splitting sex & love, like there to be both. I am in love with my wife, she is all the woman I need and at times I think "then some". *chuckles* No, I don't mean that in any way derogatory, even if it might read that way.

Might like to find a nice guy in adjunct of my wife. I do look. I'm not always a lush about it though and i suppose being mostly straight seeming, few pick up any ideas. Ultimately though I'm feeling drawn to Stoicism even regarding a sense of balance.

Don't seek for everything to happen as you wish it would, but rather
wish that everything happens as it actually will — then your life will
be serene. -- Epictetus

Make the best of what is in your power, and take the rest as it
happens. -- Epictetus

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
If you arrive late to work you must leave work early to make up the difference.
Gen X math.

That's right, just give my generation full credit for that crap. Think we rehashed a few generations back, come up with something else too. Check it out way down below.

The next generation is far, far, far worse. They got the "oh no, I can't come into to work today because I got a bone in my leg, ... and that's the best I can do for a paycheck," attitude.

Go Fuck yourself!

Ha! Like them apples you will. *chuckles* :) Yeah, my generation is full of contradictions. I think it comes from the delayed half life of all the Nevada testings & Hiroshima, Nagasaki. We're glowing renditions of being out standing in our fields, even if we're not standing in any field at present.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
It's true!

Uh huh, ageism. Been run off, or not even given the time of day to start working, from a few different jobs when they ask me age. At 46 they figure if you want a 'crew/line' job instead of a supervisor or manager job, a, you'll soon cause trouble in bucking for such a job, b, you're gonna cost them in overtime in order to be out paid over the supervisor/managers on 'straight' time instead of contract, c, you're insane, d, will require full time benefits, e, all of the above. They want high school kids they can fuck up and fuck over after 90 days and replace them with a, a fresh batch of high school kids, b, automation / robots, c, algorithms for AI / automation / both.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I seem agreeable to that along with a sense of love is love & we all ought to live and let live. Have loved a few men, loved a few women. I've enjoyed sex for the sake of sex with both as well. My own preference is not splitting sex & love, like there to be both. I am in love with my wife, she is all the woman I need and at times I think "then some". *chuckles* No, I don't mean that in any way derogatory, even if it might read that way.

Might like to find a nice guy in adjunct of my wife. I do look. I'm not always a lush about it though and i suppose being mostly straight seeming, few pick up any ideas. Ultimately though I'm feeling drawn to Stoicism even regarding a sense of balance.

I'm nearly 10 yrs post-menopausal, and the day I stop *looking* -- at either sex -- will be either the day I die, or go blind. I may not be able any longer, but I have a REAL GOOD memory. :D

Andria

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Same here sweetie. There are 4 of us where I work that do the same job. All of us are over 55. We've determined that our superiors shit on us more than the younger folks at work that do the same job.
It's true!

At times ya kinda have to look at it from other sides. Are they harder on ya because your older or are they leaning on you because they know they can count on you to get the job done and done right the first time.

I was fuming pissed at work one night. I been busting ass all week and get screwed with this delicate hard job while others are able to screw off. The later the night got the more pissed off I became. Finally finished, all ground checks good, time for paper work. I was doing my write up when my boss came in and thanked me. I was like huh? Boss told me I bailed them out because I was the only one on the base he knew who could do that job and do it right the first time. After that I kinda noticed even when I worked on other bases for other bosses it was the same thing, they relied on my skill and was becoming known as a top mechanic. And yes it was more work for me but also was a reason for pride.

Of course me being me knew right away that I was just handed a license to get away with far more shenanigans :teehee:

firechick

Member For 4 Years
I'm with ya on that chop. They work your ass because you'll deliver. Where I work during the day they crush the older folks with a demanding pace and long hours with more and more responsibility. They let the kids jerk off all day. I can look out on the floor and see 4 people in a huddle giggling and talking about personal stuff while 3 or 4 of their 8 lines are down waiting on them. Meanwhile, we are on mandatory OT for the foreseeable future. We all get the same raises and bonuses and there aren't any extra privileges for the hard workers, just more work and cleaning up after the slackers. These places are screwed when we're all gone. We have kids who whine about not getting promotions or more money when they don't even do their current jobs adequately. They'll be left with nothing but a crew who will sit around on their phones and watch it fall apart around them with their hands out.

I can't wait to retire. Thank God our 401ks aren't tied to the future productivity of the company.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

LynnNC

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Good morning peeps! Auto correct said perps. Lol Anyway, the car accident from February is almost over. Settlement check “should” be here tomorrow. I’ll finally be able to 1. get my daughter paid off, 2. put an end to collection calls and 3. get my car fixed the way I want it fixed. I. Can’t. Wait!! :)

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Boss told me I bailed them out because I was the only one on the base he knew who could do that job and do it right the first time. After that I kinda noticed even when I worked on other bases for other bosses it was the same thing, they relied on my skill and was becoming known as a top mechanic. And yes it was more work for me but also was a reason for pride.

I see your point. Although such a point as that only happened for me once, or was it only once?

Well, guess I could say my stepdad's father did similar in putting me to work out side the homestead at 15. A friend also took me to work with him at a big boss farmer's farm. That boss took care of me by paying me a few dollars over what was agreed. Also did fair turns at our county stock yards on weekend auctions as an extra hand.

Alright wise guy, knock off the lessons. *chuckles* :)

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Looks like Andria is getting some boomers this afternoon.

Off to mow wifes friends grass.
First day without rain in 4 or 5 days here.

All morning, actually, and continuing. I got woken around 8:30 by some huge booms, so I got up to use the bathroom, and surprisingly, was able to get back to sleep. But the booms and rain continue. Hope it's out of here tomorrow, since it's payday; I hate being out and about in the rain.

The thunderstorm last evening though... geezus pete, you'd have thought the world was ending. We were SMACK in the middle of one of those big dark red radar things, and though the rain petered out after a few minutes, the lightening and booms were godawful; both cats were completely beside themselves, hiding anywhere they could find a spot.

Andria

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I see your point. Although such a point as that only happened for me once, or was it only once?

Well, guess I could say my stepdad's father did similar in putting me to work out side the homestead at 15. A friend also took me to work with him at a big boss farmer's farm. That boss took care of me by paying me a few dollars over what was agreed. Also did fair turns at our county stock yards on weekend auctions as an extra hand.

Alright wise guy, knock off the lessons. *chuckles* :)

Had a buddy of mine come to the house one day and ask me how many days off I had left. I was working 7 days on 7 days off at the time. He was starting a finish carpentry business and asked if I would help him on a job. That turned into a 3 year gig of my working 7 days on helicopters, coming home, then working 5 to 6 days for him as a carpenter and then one day to relax before starting the cycle over again. At the time I was getting paid as much as a top carpenter, under the table just so I would keep working for him and I almost quit helicopters because I liked the work of running trim and installing cabinets and was getting paid more doing that then working on helicopters but 3 years worth I was also burning out on everything.
My buddy loved my work ethics because other guys around my age, I would make it a competition every day of who can run more chair rail or base boards or even crown. I was also sent to do jobs either by myself or take one of the guys with me. There is a outpatient surgery building not far from here that my nephew and me did all of it. Took us a week to blow it out and they loved it.
My buddy loved my attitude. I didnt know a damn thing about finish carpentry when I started with him but my drive and wanting to learn it all is what made me not only a friend but a valuable employee. Kids today dont have a clue. Too many times they got a prize just for showing up and have no drive to be the best they can be. Its sad. very sad. A lot of times I think ol John Wayne would roll over in his grave if he new what these youngsters are like today.

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Screenshot_1.png

Well yall I went ahead and splurged on myself today. 2013 LM650 with a Subaru 650 V engine and its a 4X4. I been wanting to buy a new one but the one I was looking at had a 277cc engine and not 4X4. After driving this one the new one paled miserably so I bought this one for $1K less than the smaller new one :teehee:

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Had a buddy of mine come to the house one day and ask me how many days off I had left. I was working 7 days on 7 days off at the time. He was starting a finish carpentry business and asked if I would help him on a job. That turned into a 3 year gig of my working 7 days on helicopters, coming home, then working 5 to 6 days for him as a carpenter and then one day to relax before starting the cycle over again. At the time I was getting paid as much as a top carpenter, under the table just so I would keep working for him and I almost quit helicopters because I liked the work of running trim and installing cabinets and was getting paid more doing that then working on helicopters but 3 years worth I was also burning out on everything.
My buddy loved my work ethics because other guys around my age, I would make it a competition every day of who can run more chair rail or base boards or even crown. I was also sent to do jobs either by myself or take one of the guys with me. There is a outpatient surgery building not far from here that my nephew and me did all of it. Took us a week to blow it out and they loved it.
My buddy loved my attitude. I didnt know a damn thing about finish carpentry when I started with him but my drive and wanting to learn it all is what made me not only a friend but a valuable employee. Kids today dont have a clue. Too many times they got a prize just for showing up and have no drive to be the best they can be. Its sad. very sad. A lot of times I think ol John Wayne would roll over in his grave if he new what these youngsters are like today.

That's very true. My husband and I have a very different attitude to, and appreciation for, house painting -- though only indoor, as that's the only kind I've done. When I was still living at home with my folks, I guess i was about 22ish, I got a wild hair to paint my room; palest pink on 3 walls, deep dusty rose on the 4th, unbroken wall, and the same dusty rose on the outlet and lightswitch covers. My stepfather agreed, but he told me if I didn't do a good job, he would insist that I paint it back ivory, at my own expense. I agreed... and it turned out beautifully, even increased the amount my folks got when they sold that house... though I'd never painted anything. And when I wanted to repaint our son's room, my husband said fine, he'd pay for it, if *I* did the actual painting, he'd even move the furniture and stuff. Y'all saw how nicely that remodel turned out. Because both times I was painting, I took my time, and did a really good job. And I don't mind painting at all, I even enjoy it, though my right shoulder complains more now than it did when I was 22. :D But my husband HATES painting... because he's had some jobs doing it, and they want it to be done zip zip zip, no finesse, no pride in a job well done, just "done, done, and on to the next" as Dave Grohl puts it. And that drives him right up the damn wall. Really can't blame him.

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Well, good news. My husband applied for social security last month on my bday, since he was 65 and a half on that date... and we got the first "check" (actually a direct deposit) Wednesday... and today I got the Shark vacuum I ordered Wed night; last vac I bought was a DIRT cheap Eureka, 6 yrs ago, and it's about worn out -- I definitely got my $40 out of it. This time, our finances being in much better shape, I got the vac I wanted -- a cordless handheld very much like the Dyson that costs $700... but I got mine for $197 since I got a Shark. :D Also ordered a 2nd li-ion battery and dual charger from QVC, but they're sending it UPS, so I might get it by the end of next week. :facepalm: I love amazon, and free 2 day shipping is great, but they couldn't touch QVC's price for the dual charger/2nd battery multipak.

So, once the battery charges, I'll be a vacuuming fool... and not be driven out of my mind with a fucking cord to constantly yank out of the way! :stars2:

Andria

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have the Dyson. Wife just had to have it. Think I paid about 279 for it.
It light and handy. The drive for the beater bar is too wimpy though.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I have the Dyson. Wife just had to have it. Think I paid about 279 for it.
It light and handy. The drive for the beater bar is too wimpy though.

If you are talking about the one that goes on the hose attachment I totally agree - it is a nice vacuum though

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Back in the late 90's I bought a rainbow vacuum with all the accessories for $2K. It was a lot, especially back then but as the lil lady said back then, she was going thru one or more a year. (god she drove me nuts with all the damn vacuuming) Rainbow contacted us maybe 7 or 8 years ago and a guy came out to the house and did a free service to it. Replaced a couple parts, tried to sell us a new one and left. I havent had to buy a vacuum since and it still works as good as the day it was new.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Back in the late 90's I bought a rainbow vacuum with all the accessories for $2K. It was a lot, especially back then but as the lil lady said back then, she was going thru one or more a year. (god she drove me nuts with all the damn vacuuming) Rainbow contacted us maybe 7 or 8 years ago and a guy came out to the house and did a free service to it. Replaced a couple parts, tried to sell us a new one and left. I havent had to buy a vacuum since and it still works as good as the day it was new.

Is that the one you have to put water in the canister?

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you are talking about the one that goes on the hose attachment I totally agree - it is a nice vacuum though
It is the Dyson V6.
Yeah it is good for linoleum or wood but useless for rugs and carpet.
wife wanted a really light weight one so she could use it..
LOL
What I figured before I got it. In the several months we have had it she has got it out to use maybe 2X and not even run the batteries down either time :)

Heck a few years ago our old vacuum died and she did not even know it had for 6 months....
She finally wondered why I was using a shop vac.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
My new Shark weighs 7.3 lbs. So, I wouldn't call it *light*, but not terribly heavy either; there's some weight, but it pushes REALLY easily on carpet even at max power, and the beater brush running, and it does a good job on carpet and on our tile, so it seems a good investment. I'll just have to get my right arm strong again, as it was when I was gardening. :D

Andria

VU Sponsors