Become a Patron!

ECF Refugee Thread All welcome

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Just put me in a hefty lawn and leaf bag and sit me on the curb.

I'd like to be wrapped in linen or cotton and buried straight in the ground, and a sapling planted on top of me. Not sure that is legal anywhere in my state yet, hopefully I have time to look into it more :D

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Mum says she wants no fuss and no prayers. Just close family sharing memories, then adjourn to the pub lol

Funny you should say that, because that is kinda what I am going to change in my will, hopefully next month

When Mr Juicy's favorite cousin died last October, she was adamant about no funeral before she died. We were all cool with that - until she actually died.

No closure - and it didn't feel right at all.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'd like to be wrapped in linen or cotton and buried straight in the ground, and a sapling planted on top of me. Not sure that is legal anywhere in my state yet, hopefully I have time to look into it more :D
Not sure about no box but here in KY you can just do a plain wood box burial.
I suspect uppity places like Lexington require vaults and such...

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Funny you should say that, because that is kinda what I am going to change in my will, hopefully next month

When Mr Juicy's favorite cousin died last October, she was adamant about no funeral before she died. We were all cool with that - until she actually died.

No closure - and it didn't feel right at all.
Yep the funeral is all about those left behind not the one that died.
Although most like to pretend otherwise.

LynnNC

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My wishes are simple...I want to be cremated. No stopping at the funeral home or any kind of bs like that, just ship me to the crematorium, then go to the cemetery with a shovel, dig a hole at the foot of my dad's plot, put the box with the ashes in it in the hole and cover it up. At sundown(my kids wouldn't be awake at sunrise). The cost of a funeral is outrageous and I don't want my kids to have the burden of paying it.

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My wishes are simple...I want to be cremated. No stopping at the funeral home or any kind of bs like that, just ship me to the crematorium, then go to the cemetery with a shovel, dig a hole at the foot of my dad's plot, put the box with the ashes in it in the hole and cover it up. At sundown(my kids wouldn't be awake at sunrise). The cost of a funeral is outrageous and I don't want my kids to have the burden of paying it.

i buried my dad

i was meant to dig the hole, to save costs, but the groundskeeper said he got bored waiting that morning so just dug it

LynnNC

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i buried my dad

i was meant to dig the hole, to save costs, but the groundskeeper said he got bored waiting that morning so just dug it
The funeral director took a shovel and dug the hole that my dad's ashes went in. My mom insisted on a viewing and a funeral. After the funeral, he was shipped off to the crematorium and the funeral home picked up the ashes. We buried the ashes 2 days after the funeral.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
The funeral director took a shovel and dug the hole that my dad's ashes went in. My mom insisted on a viewing and a funeral. After the funeral, he was shipped off to the crematorium and the funeral home picked up the ashes. We buried the ashes 2 days after the funeral.

It cost us thousands to bury my FIL's ashes - and he already owned the plot

Mr Juicy and I decided to let our kids spread our ashes in the Pacific Ocean at their convenience once we are both gone. This will include his favorite cousin's ashes, as her brother didn't want them and didn't want to spread them anywhere :cloud:

LynnNC

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It cost us thousands to bury my FIL's ashes - and he already owned the plot

Mr Juicy and I decided to let our kids spread our ashes in the Pacific Ocean at their convenience once we are both gone. This will include his favorite cousin's ashes, as her brother didn't want them and didn't want to spread them anywhere :cloud:
Here the price is determined by how much the funeral home is involved. The crematorium is $1500 plus $250 for the cardboard box they put you in to contain the ashes as it burns. My next door neighbor did it with his son when he was found dead in his home. They had to have a funeral home to come and pick him up and take him to the crematorium. They went and picked up and buried his ashes on their own. The total was $2000. That total beats the hell out of my mom and brother's $8000 each funerals. My brother had life insurance which took care of his, my mom only had $3000 of hers covered. The other 5k fell on us and her estate.

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
don't know what dad's cost, i was an early teen

he lived in the middle of nowhere, so was cremated there and shipped to the city

so no viewing or anything

buried on top of his mum, and my mum will go in the same lot, despite never meeting my grandma, and the fact my folks had been split about ten years by the time dad died

mum prepaid hers

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Here the price is determined by how much the funeral home is involved. The crematorium is $1500 plus $250 for the cardboard box they put you in to contain the ashes as it burns. My next door neighbor did it with his son when he was found dead in his home. They had to have a funeral home to come and pick him up and take him to the crematorium. They went and picked up and buried his ashes on their own. The total was $2000. That total beats the hell out of my mom and brother's $8000 each funerals. My brother had life insurance which took care of his, my mom only had $3000 of hers covered. The other 5k fell on us and her estate.

The plot and actual cremation were already paid for. It was the cemetery's fees to dig the hole, concrete encasement policy, etc that ended up costing $3,800 - on top of the cost to fly his body 300 miles to the nearest crematorium; and he died here in Alaska, had his ashes buried in the plot next to his wife in California ... we were out close over $6 k by the time it was all said and done. Then, my BIL was the actual executor of the will and insurance beneficiary - we got seriously hosed

LynnNC

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The plot and actual cremation were already paid for. It was the cemetery's fees to dig the hole, concrete encasement policy, etc that ended up costing $3,800 - on top of the cost to fly his body 300 miles to the nearest crematorium; and he died here in Alaska, had his ashes buried in the plot next to his wife in California ... we were out close over $6 k by the time it was all said and done. Then, my BIL was the actual executor of the will and insurance beneficiary - we got seriously hosed
WOW!!!
The crematorium here is 35 miles away and the cemetery where my mom, dad and brother are buried is 2 miles away.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

yeah I kinda paid to have both of my wife unit's parents buried, etc....

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I've researched the high cost of dying extensively and am at the age where I have had to be involved in a lot of funerals

The absolute cheapest way to dispose of human remains is to donate the body to science - most medical schools will actually accept the body and return ashes of whatever they don't use to the closest living relative - so it's practically free if you don't insist on a "permanent resting place" such as burying them at a graveyard or placement in a columbarium - however, this doesn't fit in well with most American's notions on death and dying

Second is to prepay for your cremation - that beats inflation down the road - with the same stipulation. If relatives balk at no permanent resting place, let them pay for it or find a cheaper alternative, such as buying a memorial tile or having a tree planted in the name of the person

The third least expensive - and some would say more dignified but may also find it weird - is to hand make your coffin before you need it (saves huge bucks) and prepay for a plot and make damn sure the "at need" costs (digging the hole, etc) is included. This also beats inflation

After all the funerals and deaths I've lived through, you have expensive cluster fucks like my FIL (who really thought he had it planned out so there would be no additional costs or burden to his kids) to my grandfather's funeral, which he had planned down to a T - except for when he would actually die. When he did go, all we had to do was call hospice and pick the day. Everything else was truly taken care of financially and there were no family arguments over the casket, headstone, blah blah. He had already decided and paid for it.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
is a c-pap anything like a Pap smear?

No, it's air forced in through via the nose. It is what is done to help correct, in my case, a mild form of sleep apnea.The new endocrinologist I see, sent me out to a neurologist for it because I snore. Apparently lacking good sleep can lead to other detrimental health issues, anxiety, depression, stress, heart issues, high blood pressure, ... things one could suggest are all in our heads. Been a week or so using the c-pap & I notice a difference for the better. I cannot quantify beyond a subtle difference for the better yet. Though I'm not closing my mind to it having more potential.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
apparently scattering ashes is nothing like poetic

not a nice wooossshhh in the wind, more comes out in clumps like BOOF chBOOF

Wife says she wants so much of my ash remains for a necklace, not that she wears any necklaces as it is. My youngest brother wants a few ounces of my ash remains too, he wants to put me in some kind of pipe with some weird stuff and smoke me then, take some of me to a local chapter of a certain biking *ahem* club *cough* to let them ensure I get to Hell with all the other Angels, then he wants to scatter a small bit of me somewhere secret. If I have anything, wife gets first honor, then youngest brother, after that donate to charities. That's presuming my wife let's me retire. She's threatened to withhold retirement from me. I think she likes me being her little house bitch. :)

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I've researched the high cost of dying extensively and am at the age where I have had to be involved in a lot of funerals

The absolute cheapest way to dispose of human remains is to donate the body to science - most medical schools will actually accept the body and return ashes of whatever they don't use to the closest living relative - so it's practically free if you don't insist on a "permanent resting place" such as burying them at a graveyard or placement in a columbarium - however, this doesn't fit in well with most American's notions on death and dying

Second is to prepay for your cremation - that beats inflation down the road - with the same stipulation. If relatives balk at no permanent resting place, let them pay for it or find a cheaper alternative, such as buying a memorial tile or having a tree planted in the name of the person

The third least expensive - and some would say more dignified but may also find it weird - is to hand make your coffin before you need it (saves huge bucks) and prepay for a plot and make damn sure the "at need" costs (digging the hole, etc) is included. This also beats inflation

After all the funerals and deaths I've lived through, you have expensive cluster fucks like my FIL (who really thought he had it planned out so there would be no additional costs or burden to his kids) to my grandfather's funeral, which he had planned down to a T - except for when he would actually die. When he did go, all we had to do was call hospice and pick the day. Everything else was truly taken care of financially and there were no family arguments over the casket, headstone, blah blah. He had already decided and paid for it.

Always figured a burlap sack, $20 to some bum with a shovel, roll ya in on private land back out out of the way would be fairly cheaper. I know forensically that fire does not destroy evidence, water however will either destroy evidence or make it so distorted it may as well be destroyed. Also quick lye does wonders. Not sure why seem to know such things, kind of like how I knew from birth how to set up a basic Apache web server, knowledge "just there".

"Hey, how do you know how to access military grade communication satellites?"

"How do you not? I mean, I don't know how, I just know ..."

Today's word is fulcrum, it is the wedge used for torque with a lever.

Today's color is golden mustard. Today's knot is the rolling timber hitch.

Today's city is, Essex, PA. Today's secret key is ... Ha! Not so fast, I don't need my Zulu clearance revoked.

ooops, wrong buffer in the MDI

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Watched some good movies today. Saints & Soldiers: Airborne Creed, & Guardians of the Galaxy 2. Wife was a bit shocked I could recite the creed as they spoke it. Gee, I did spend time with a broken Airborne Ranger as a kid, no surprise I learn that. It was an interesting story yet I think it kind of fell short on full delivery of what the blurb read.

Guardian's had me bawling. Of course, now with Disney owning Marvel figure they'll be doing lots of feely good rainbow type of movies. Not exactly sure how I feel on that. I mean hey mind numbing Pharisee propaganda message of "accept the greater good" aside, it kind of makes me feel even more empty. But I might be 'going off the rails' yet again. Not sure, especially knowing I'm on point.

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
1dc39b34583f07d845f6e47528f48749.jpg

LynnNC

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Good morning fugees...no real work today just work at home. I need to mix some liquids later. Now it's :coffee2: to wake up. Have a great day all and don't forget to GFY twice since it's Sunday. :D

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

*grinning a droll sardonic grin* Ah, humor most fit for the gallows or gutters. *chuckles* You've earned an official Go Fuck Yourself. :) That's pretty flaky and dry humor. Poor guy. LOL

One of these last few Summers of mowing our bottom land on her dad's John Deer riding mower, had to get him. Come around and slowed with a "something isn't quite right" look on my face. He comes over by me.

"Aren't you glad I sometimes like it up the ass," I asked him then pulled off at full speed. He was in tears by the time I got back around to him. He hollered at me.

"Yeah, that damn Dear doesn't use lube either boy!"

After we had gotten all the, or at least most of the yard work finished that day we took his dad's pickup to old 21 Market. He told me to get 4 pony bottles of beer. Sat overlooking the bottom on the tailgate and had a sandwich and couple of ponies. Kind of miss those rare times, and even with the innuendo there was nothing sexual going on, just guys cutting up.

He has since lied against me, put untold words and attitudes unto me that I know well are not, were not there. Rough to overlook that to get back to the golden moments. When his dad died, I covered all reflected surfaces so he would not get trapped, I ate what little sin his dad had. First went into his dad's house that morning, it was him that told me, "I'll give you two a few minutes." He then left me with his dad in the bed, took everyone else outside. I bowed down and kissed his dad's forehead gently. I will honor any and all obligation to that grandfather, never in need of reminding.

Yeah, there's still crazy fucks like me in the World/s. Excuse me, need to go tend the housework lest I think too much and get trapped in my skull.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
apparently scattering ashes is nothing like poetic

not a nice wooossshhh in the wind, more comes out in clumps like BOOF chBOOF

BOOF chBOOF cracked me up. Remember that scene in The Big Lebowski when they try to dump the ashes in the sea and the wind blows it all back on them lmao

LynnNC

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
now the Super Moon I can appreciate.

Superbowl Sunday is a great day to shop at the home improvement stores.
I'll bet. I should be shopping the home improvement stores...I need to build a dog house. Right now my Rottie's residence is my big shed out back. He's not bothering anything in there but I have to leave it open for him and that's where my weed eater, lawn mower etc is being housed for the winter. I don't like it being open although I can't imagine anyone going in there to be met by a 125 lb mean looking BIG dog.

LynnNC

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've been rewrapping batteries today thanks to Mr Cromwell. I was surprised at how easy it was. And I didn't lose not one of those insulators. :)

LynnNC

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah did not have any extra insulators to send.
No worries! I just hold my finger over the positive end while using the hair dryer on that end. Once I got one side to curl over I spun the battery around and did the other side. It 'twas a piece of cake!

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
That's what using that Athena squonk mod does to my batteries. :( I hate it cause I really like the mod.

Do you need to file down the contacts a little?

I've had to do that with some of those little mech squonkers before

VU Sponsors