The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Can you see me now???

LOL.
Yep see it now.
That is Louisville which belongs to Indiana regardless of state boundaries.

In my area they would have been in 4wd pickups and on 4 wheelers.
I have a neighbor who has bought 8 of those things for his grandchildren over the past few years.
He must have spent close to $100,000 on them.
Rednecks must have 4 wheelers even if on govt assistance of some sort.
And smartphones of course too.

btw I figure that finished that Hoveround.
So his trip to the liqueur store was problematic at best.

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Just watched Weather channel live coverage and they show it going eye right over miami and right on up FL and winding up in KY and missing the Carolinas.

Just educated guessing at this point though.

Lookout Andria!

Edit:
The eye is 27 miles wide but hurricane force winds extend far beyond that.

Really dont like the weather channel. Every single time there is severe weather they are doing stupid stories. Haven't watched them in years. Usually I like to see local morning weather and it has nothing to do with the weather girl that has the smokin hot body :giggle:

Also use the National Weather on NOAA dot gov as well as Aviation Weather Center which is also a dot gov site. The aviation weather site lets me see real time weather station reports in the form of METARs and can tell a lot from that info.

In all honesty, they dont know what a storm like that is going to do until it actually does it. As you said, its just an educated guess right now.

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Irma might even be a bigger bitch than Katrina... though the worst of Katrina's effects wasn't the storm itself, but the collapse of the levees. Looking at the map a minute ago on weather.com, I'd fear most for that little spit of land where Miami Beach sits... it could all be underwater.

Andria
You might be in for a lot of rain too Andria. Keep safe. Anyway it's just a quick flyby on my part saying hello to everybody. I've just been so incredibly busy lately. Love you all!

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Omg did you see that clip when Harvey hit? People didn't know who he was and they were honking horns LOL

One of those hurricanes Jim Cantore was standing out in the wind reporting on the storm and being a general asshole when a piece of tin damn near beheaded him. Many of us still curse that tin for missing :giggle:

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
kwYIJwXeSoev6HveEhM-cg.png

This is why I like aviation weather reporting over watching stuff like the Weather channel. A METAR is simply airport weather report and they are actually very easy to understand and gives you all you really need to know about area weather. Every airport in the word issues METARS so anyone can see what current weather is at any given place.

This METAR is from the Dominic Republic. The eye of the storm is just north of them yet their current winds are out of the north (360) blowing 15 knots and gusting 30 knots (36015G30KT). This also tells that the clouds are a few at 1400 feet, cloud cover is broken at 1500 feet and overcast at 7000 feet.

METARs are a pilots tool for flight planning but is free for anyone to use and easy to learn how to use them.

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
kwYIJwXeSoev6HveEhM-cg.png

This is why I like aviation weather reporting over watching stuff like the Weather channel. A METAR is simply airport weather report and they are actually very easy to understand and gives you all you really need to know about area weather. Every airport in the word issues METARS so anyone can see what current weather is at any given place.

This METAR is from the Dominic Republic. The eye of the storm is just north of them yet their current winds are out of the north (360) blowing 15 knots and gusting 30 knots (36015G30KT). This also tells that the clouds are a few at 1400 feet, cloud cover is broken at 1500 feet and overcast at 7000 feet.

METARs are a pilots tool for flight planning but is free for anyone to use and easy to learn how to use them.
That's really interesting.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
KPKB Our local METAR for you. If I'm recalling correctly main jet route 1149 runs by us. Got a chuckle once showing my mom ICBM styled satelite photograpy map of her house. Then, got a little befuddled and a touch startled seeing how Google's satelite imagery was the exact same as what I had shown her via *cough* another *cough* satelite's imagery. Did not quite register back then that such made sense with Google being an NSA subsidy. Any more now, I kind of somewhat expect that.

SirKadly

Squonk 'em if you got 'em
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
That is Louisville which belongs to Indiana regardless of state boundaries.
Hey now, we don't want Louisville! Sorry but Kentucky has to keep her problem child.
Besides, the people there don't like the proper pronunciation for the city. Everybody in Indiana knows it's Loo-ee-vill, but they insist on Loo-vull, so nope, they can't be part of my state.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Hey now, we don't want Louisville! Sorry but Kentucky has to keep her problem child.
Besides, the people there don't like the proper pronunciation for the city. Everybody in Indiana knows it's Loo-ee-vill, but they insist on Loo-vull, so nope, they can't be part of my state.

Down here they say it closer to how Kentuckians do; because OUR tendency is to want to say "loo-is-vill", but we know that's not right, so the "is" gets slurred to an "uh" sound similar to Kentucky-native. :giggle:

Andria

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
We will throw in both of our senators in the deal?

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Stan ton is how we would pronounce Staunton in VA, My wife from WV could not understand us laughing when she mentioned we'd go by StOUGHTon. We told her that we could not find StOUGHTon on a map but knew right where Stan ton was charted. :)

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
First Albums I can remember was Rush Moving pictures, Def Leppard Pyromania, J Giels Band and Ozzy Blizzard of Oz. First 45 I had was Claptons I shot the sheriff when I was maybe 10. Still have it and still pick on my mom for getting it for me :teehee:

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Still remember my first album buy: Rock of the Westies - Elton John

And yes, I still have it. Actually, one of my brother's co-opted it when I dropped out of the family, and he returned it and many others in the summer of 1997, lol

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
First albums.. hmm.. I think it was Deep Purple Machine Head, and The Who By Numbers. Of course I inherited quite a few from my mom when they got scratched enough: Rod Stewart's Greatest Hits (the one shaped like a whiskey glass); several CCR; The Guess Who's Greatest Hits; Meet The Beatles; Magical Mystery Tour. MMT is still my favorite Beatles album -- Penny Lane, Hello Goodbye, Strawberry Fields Forever, I am the Walrus (koo koo kachoob), and the immortal Fool On the Hill. And Blue Jay Way is good for a Jeopardy answer. :giggle:

Andria

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
One first album I got was a 1978 Highway to Hell by AC/DC, it got ruined from being left in a hot car, literally dripped out of the cardboard sleeve. Around that time it seemed cassette tapes started taken over the market. I began to gradually build a collection of Rush, which later wound up stolen. Also got hooked on Led Zeppelin, some Ozzy & Black Sabbath.

That from having grown up in home filled with the old classic Country music. There was always Hank Williams Sr., Patsy Cline, Statler Brothers, Johnny Cash, George Straight, Tammy Wynette and eventually Alabama. Saturday nights found us looking at tell lie vision to watch Hee Haw.

My taste in music has been rather eclectic, even like Classic at times. Beethoven, Bach and bit of Motzartare are nice. One form of music I've little enjoyment of is violent rap. Violent rap to me seems destructive of spirit. That may sound odd from one like me, there it is though.

Last edited:

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Down here they say it closer to how Kentuckians do; because OUR tendency is to want to say "loo-is-vill", but we know that's not right, so the "is" gets slurred to an "uh" sound similar to Kentucky-native.
Andria
You still use three syllables, so close enough. Natives of that city somehow compress it to only two syllables.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The second way, of course. Or more often than not, we just call it Indy.

Often Atlanta goes by "the ATL" which bugs the crap out of me at times. Of course there are various ways to say "Atlanta", only one of which is used by natives: "Atlanna", we kinda glide right over the 2nd T. Too many glide over the first one too, and come out with "Alanna" which just sounds weird. But we can discern Yankees simply by hearing them say "At-lan-TA". ;)

Andria

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Often Atlanta goes by "the ATL" which bugs the crap out of me at times. Of course there are various ways to say "Atlanta", only one of which is used by natives: "Atlanna", we kinda glide right over the 2nd T. Too many glide over the first one too, and come out with "Alanna" which just sounds weird. But we can discern Yankees simply by hearing them say "At-lan-TA". ;)

Andria
Some just seem to say Lanta.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
@AndriaD , looks like Irma is headed your way. OMG please be careful!

By the time it passes Macon-ish, it should be in Cat1 territory, and Macon is still quite a long way south of us, so it may be pretty wet for a couple days, but that's pretty much all we'll get around here. Providing it doesn't do something completely unexpected. My major concern is when there's a hurricane or tropical storm in the NE Gulf (from say, Mobile to Tampa), and off GA/SC in the Atlantic, at the same time.... then we might be talking about real flooding, as in 2009.

Andria

SirKadly

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
By the time it passes Macon-ish, it should be in Cat1 territory, and Macon is still quite a long way south of us, so it may be pretty wet for a couple days, but that's pretty much all we'll get around here. Providing it doesn't do something completely unexpected. My major concern is when there's a hurricane or tropical storm in the NE Gulf (from say, Mobile to Tampa), and off GA/SC in the Atlantic, at the same time.... then we might be talking about real flooding, as in 2009.

Andria
I expect you'll see more rain than you normally would. This thing is massive, I saw a picture comparing it in size to Andrew, which was a Cat 5, and the size difference was mind boggling. Irma has hurricane force winds and heavy rain extending much farther from the eye than any previously recorded hurricane from what I gather, so the rain and winds will hit longer than you might expect.

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I expect you'll see more rain than you normally would. This thing is massive, I saw a picture comparing it in size to Andrew, which was a Cat 5, and the size difference was mind boggling. Irma has hurricane force winds and heavy rain extending much farther from the eye than any previously recorded hurricane from what I gather, so the rain and winds will hit longer than you might expect.
It's bigger than Florida. I have a friend that lives in Port Saint Lucie and she isn't evacuating. I'm in shock because they're going to get hit head-on.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

You could be right, it's really a mind boggler of a storm. So the rain probably will be intense, but since we're NE of Atlanta, firmly into the hills, I doubt there will be any significant flooding around here; we're near the bottom of a hill (near a railbed), but not all the way down. And I've noticed that Gwinnett county takes VERY good care of our storm drains -- Gwinnett county has some of the highest taxes in GA, but our roads and sewerage systems are almost without parellel.

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I was just looking at our 5 day forecast, and it's supposed to be raining Mon and Tues... but what concerns me more is that on Monday, they're forecasting 33mph winds. I've experienced winds like that, in Detroit in the winter, and it's nothing to laugh about; it can knock you down if you're not braced for it. Really really glad my husband took down a bunch of small trees and limbs last weekend, that were overhanging the wires from our house to the street. THX, HON!!!

Andria

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I was just looking at our 5 day forecast, and it's supposed to be raining Mon and Tues... but what concerns me more is that on Monday, they're forecasting 33mph winds. I've experienced winds like that, in Detroit in the winter, and it's nothing to laugh about; it can knock you down if you're not braced for it. Really really glad my husband took down a bunch of small trees and limbs last weekend, that were overhanging the wires from our house to the street. THX, HON!!!

Andria
Just keep your eyes peeled on the weather. I wouldn't be surprised of anything after seeing what happened in Houston.:hug:

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Well, I finally have something I can vape other than my 2 Achilles; a user here whom I knew over at ECF just PIFed me a massive amount of atomizers and their paraphernalia so she wouldn't have to pack and move them, and in that haul were 2 Lemos... and I really like it! It builds almost exactly like a Kayfun, OR, you can put the wires thru holes under the screws, which my son likes, for his 26ga SS.... I'm using one of my perpetual standby coils, 29ga kanthal, 2.1Ω... and it's a really good vape!

Another user just PIFed us some MtL driptips she wasn't using, so I have a really nice looking new setup for one of my wrapped iPV Minis:

Lemo-newtip.jpg

:)
Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
This comes at a good time, as I've FINALLY gotten my strawberry & cream recipe below 25% flavoring! So I think I can go back to using a tank without having too much juice wastage, from gunk buildup. :)

Andria

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Morning fugee's

The good news is Cuba is ripping Irma apart. The next advisory I wouldnt be surprised if it was a cat 3 storm and with the eye being mostly on land in Cuba it probably will be down to a cat 2 when it goes back over water if it continues going west.

The bad news is the bitch hasnt turned yet. The farther west it goes the better chance it has to get over the warm gulf waters and rebuild quickly.

VU Sponsors