Become a Patron!

ECF Refugee Thread All welcome

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Banana puddin all gone now! :gaah:

And I doubt if the groceries have restocked. Last trip to wally World heard several women grumbling about no pudding for nanner puddin.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Mornin' fuggers. Weather fit for DUCKS here... or maybe FISH!!! :facepalm:

Andria

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Man, I got shit to do and don't feel like it, lol

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
It got pretty damn nasty here yesterday and now they are worried about flooding. Some areas got 7+ rain last night.

Same here, we still have a flash flood warning till about 10pm. And this morning, apparently lightening struck in the backyard of the street just behind ours, and brought down a couple trees, with an UNGODLY noise -- scared poor Tuxie right into the cat cave, and even Annabel, usually not a scaredy-cat, hid under the spawn's bed for a while.

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
It is snowing here

I'm tempted to think "Lucky!"...but then I think about the idiots here in the south who absolutely cannot drive even in fucking RAIN, but who THINK they can handle snow, ice, apocalypse... and I think maybe we're lucky to be getting rain and not the white sort of precip. :facepalm:

Andria

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
It got pretty damn nasty here yesterday and now they are worried about flooding. Some areas got 7+ rain last night.

Our power went out yon 'round 1-2 am. Got it back around 12 - 12:300 this afternoon. Wife drew up an AEP map showing hella area that got knocked out from wind and trees. Said they had over 300,000 customers without power just in our sector, who knows how many down VA way looked twice the size of us on the map. Bet them linemen (line people ifin I needz to be all PC an wut.) are loving the extra $$$s coming in.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I'm tempted to think "Lucky!"...but then I think about the idiots here in the south who absolutely cannot drive even in fucking RAIN, but who THINK they can handle snow, ice, apocalypse... and I think maybe we're lucky to be getting rain and not the white sort of precip. :facepalm:

Andria

Send 'em up here to WV. We train NASCAR drivers and we get snow often enough to keep folks on their toes, even the butt ends of lake effect blizzards at times.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Send 'em up here to WV. We train NASCAR drivers and we get snow often enough to keep folks on their toes, even the butt ends of lake effect blizzards at times.

Well, the biggest problem is that there is pretty much ZERO infrastructure to deal with white precip here, except on the interstates -- the surface roads, you just have to wait till they melt. But folks from up north are CONVINCED that they "can handle it." I have to keep reminding my husband (from Missouri!) that the problem isn't the frozen shit on the roads... it's all the assholes on the roads who leave their cars right there, and walk to wherever -- you cannot drive when the roads have turned into PARKING LOTS.

Andria

Last edited:

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Well, the biggest problem is that there is pretty much ZERO infrastructure to deal with white precip here, except on the interstates -- the surface roads, you just have to wait till they melt. But folks from up north are CONVINCED they they "can handle it." I have to keep reminding my husband (from Missouri!) that the problem isn't the frozen shit on the roads... it's all the assholes on the roads who leave their cars right there, and walk to wherever -- you cannot drive when the roads have turned into PARKING LOTS.

Andria

My kids learned to drive up here and can navigate anything - but you certainly can't control other drivers

When youngest first moved to Seattle and there was an inch of snow, her boss was stunned when she walked in the door for work on time that morning :giggle:

She was the only one besides the boss that came in that day, lol

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Our power went out yon 'round 1-2 am. Got it back around 12 - 12:300 this afternoon. Wife drew up an AEP map showing hella area that got knocked out from wind and trees. Said they had over 300,000 customers without power just in our sector, who knows how many down VA way looked twice the size of us on the map. Bet them linemen (line people ifin I needz to be all PC an wut.) are loving the extra $$$s coming in.
My lectric did not even flutter.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
My kids learned to drive up here and can navigate anything - but you certainly can't control other drivers

When youngest first moved to Seattle and there was an inch of snow, her boss was stunned when she walked in the door for work on time that morning :giggle:

She was the only one besides the boss that came in that day, lol

One other thing to keep in mind, beyond the total lack of snowplows and salt trucks, is our topography -- it's very hilly and the roads are curvy; if you're used to snow/ice in some flat place, it won't translate well to our topography AT ALL. In Jan 2011, we had the biggest snow I've ever seen in metro ATL, 9 inches of snow... which wouldn't have been THAT big a problem if it had just turned into slush and melted as it usually does, here... It turned slushy all right, but that night, it froze HARD, like 22 degrees... and nobody went anywhere for nearly 2 weeks. My husband couldn't even make it off our street, due to the hill and having to make a turn; no way to get traction up that hill, with ice frozen to the road 6 inches deep. Same story here, though the hill here isn't quite as steep, it's longer. Old-growth trees, so they shade the road in many places... which means, it won't melt for awhile.

It's usually best to just stay home and wait for the melt -- most of the time, it doesn't take very long; 2-3 days tops. That shit in 2011 was RARE.

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Lucy has landsildes and such complicating her driving..

But yes frozen rain is even dangerous to try to walk on.

It sure is; I think freezing rain is about the worst thing that ma nature throws at us, here in N GA.

But I brought up the topography angle because I *did* learn to drive in snow and even on ice, when I lived in MI -- but MI is flat as a pancake! Same for most places on the plains, in the central US... so even if you are an expert at driving in, say, Nebraska... it won't do you a lick of good in N. GA snow/ice... because no one is plowing/salting the roads, and you simply won't find any big flat places here, except maybe the interstates -- and those ARE maintained, due to fed DOT money. But you have to get to them, for that to do you any good, and at some point, you have to exit.

Andria

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
My lectric did not even flutter.

Figure you have by now, gotten a generator set back up and wired to a
dead man switch. Your power clicks off and the generator clicks on.
Think many feel helping our planet this late on seems useless. We're
lost and that's that.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
That shit in 2011 was RARE.

Was that the shit that came out of nowhere and froze the entire Eastern
seaboard solid?

I recall me and wife surviving a week without power during a freak ice
storm. First morning of it we woke to trees literally snapping clean in
two from being flash frozen solid. They sounded like shotguns going off.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
seaboard solid?

I dunno; it wasn't too long after xmas, I do recall. I know it was one hell of a snow machine; previously, the most snow I'd ever seen here was about 5 inches; that monster gave us about twice as much, and it was good snow too, not that wet icy shit we usually get.

But.. as novel as it is to snow that much here... or hell, to snow AT ALL... I'd be delighted if that NEVER happened again, because it's very hard to keep eating when the breadwinner misses a whole damn week of work. :mad:

Andria

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
seaboard solid?

No buddy, thats a nor'eastern they call it and they are right nasty storms. Only seen it once that I remember. A strong cold front came down and collided with a strong warm front and set off a massive weather event that left the east coast in snow for weeks. I was in the gulf of mexico when they collided and we had 120mph winds sustained for over 8 hours and close to 48 hours above 80 mph. Did sumptin real stupid in that storm and lived to tell about it. I went on the heliport and saved my helicopter. Damn near died from it but it was what it was. Back then I actually gave a shit :p

(that was the same storm the perfect storm movie is made from)

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
No buddy, thats a nor'eastern they call it and they are right nasty storms. Only seen it once that I remember. A strong cold front came down and collided with a strong warm front and set off a massive weather event that left the east coast in snow for weeks. I was in the gulf of mexico when they collided and we had 120mph winds sustained for over 8 hours and close to 48 hours above 80 mph. Did sumptin real stupid in that storm and lived to tell about it. I went on the heliport and saved my helicopter. Damn near died from it but it was what it was. Back then I actually gave a shit :p

(that was the same storm the perfect storm movie is made from)

Ah. Okay, that makes sense too as something I recall having heard back then. Might have been when dumb as rocks me grabbed unto frozen nylon rope line to pull down and secure our tarp roof covering. I still get bits of that stuff out of my hands on occasion. Eh, least it wasn't steal cabling line.

Pft, machines, things and the fucks you need to give them.

look-at-all-the-fucks-i-give-memes-1.jpg

Do it proper! :) :p

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Happy New Years Fugee's.

Tried to upload a cool New Years pic but VU is being a royal bitch tonight and said nope, not gonna upload it.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
:confetti::cheers: Happy New Year! :cheers: :confetti:Hope it's a great one for everyone. :) Looking forward to our new year here. Got some vague idea of some goals we're not admitting is forming a plan. We do not admit to having anything like that, we know better. :zombie::coffee2: :cloud: :cloud: :cloud: :luck:

LynnNC

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Good morning all and Happy New Year!!

I officially joined the ranks of retired on Dec.15th, 2018. SS check sucks but it’s enough to keep a roof over my head etc. Life was good until Dec 29th when my youngest decided to go to work at Walmart high, piss off the wrong customer who proceeded to complain and he was terminated. Sucks for him because he has a car payment and no money coming in. A hard head makes for a sore ass. :rolleyes: Now with the holidays over, I’ll be able to hang out here more while I look for a part time job to help make ends meet. :) I hope you all have a fantastic New Years Day!

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Good morning all and Happy New Year!!

I officially joined the ranks of retired on Dec.15th, 2018. SS check sucks but it’s enough to keep a roof over my head etc. Life was good until Dec 29th when my youngest decided to go to work at Walmart high, piss off the wrong customer who proceeded to complain and he was terminated. Sucks for him because he has a car payment and no money coming in. A hard head makes for a sore ass. :rolleyes: Now with the holidays over, I’ll be able to hang out here more while I look for a part time job to help make ends meet. :) I hope you all have a fantastic New Years Day!

Grats on the retirement Lynn! Sucks on the kid being a meat head :giggle: Yet at times it takes letting them screw up royally for them to learn those hard life lessons.

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Evening fugee's and thank god the new years celebrating is over. I was up real late with a scared to death pit bull puppy boy. Poor baby was so scared he was trembling as he glued himself to my side. I love fireworks and I love to go out and shoot in my back yard but I hate my dog being that scared of all the booms going off outside.

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Evening fugee's and thank god the new years celebrating is over. I was up real late with a scared to death pit bull puppy boy. Poor baby was so scared he was trembling as he glued himself to my side. I love fireworks and I love to go out and shoot in my back yard but I hate my dog being that scared of all the booms going off outside.

Throw a few firecrackers out the door every few days and he will stop being gun shy :teehee:

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Both our felines were completely wigged out. :facepalm: Then the dumbass spawn let Annabel escape his room, Tuxie goes running into the living room, turns the corner into the hall, wanting to go hide in the cat cave... and there sits Annabel in the hall outside the spawn's room.. Neither of them knew what to do about that. :giggle: There was some staring, a bit of hissing, but at least no cat brawling. :D

Andria

VU Sponsors