Become a Patron!

ECF Refugee Thread All welcome

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Yeah it's looking like it might not bother us much, if at all; it seems to be circling towards heading thru Mississippi and heading towards Oklahoma. I guess the okies might glad of the rain, but not if it brings damn tornadoes with it.

Andria

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Morning y'all. What a weird ass storm. Now the projected path goes thru MS and Arkansas, and then takes a sharp right for Ohio and extreme W Kentucky? Say WHA??

No rain here, so my cat is happy. :D

And BTW, GFY! :D

Andria

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Grew up on a farm and we had some electric fences. Had a blast with them. :teehee: Took me no time at all to figure out if I grabbed someone by the arm or hand and with my other hand grab the electric fence I would only feel a tingle but the one I grabbed would get the shit shocked out of them. Then a few of my pals back then and me figured out that with a chain of people its even better. The longer the chain the worse the last one got nailed :giggle:

Yeah, I never denied being a real wild kid :shades:

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
At times you just get frickin blind sided.

My mom came back to my place last night and tells me my sister died. Year and a half older then me, heart attack got her. Damn :(

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years

My mom came back to my place last night and tells me my sister died. Year and a half older then me, heart attack got her. Damn :(

Man on man - so so so sorry :hug:

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Hate to hear it, choppy. :hug:

Andria

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Heard from the coroner earlier. She had hypertensive cardio disease with coronary insufficiency. The exact same thing that gave me a heart attack a couple years ago and has me disabled today. I told that girl a few times to get her ass in and get checked. She had the same body style as me and my dad so it was not a stretch to think she needed checking out by a cardiologist too. Yet she was like me there too and never went.

scwcustoms63

Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile

I really don't know what to say, other than i'm sorry to hear about your loss, and you and your family are in our prayers. I know it's never easy. I am still trying to get my head and heart straight over the loss of my Mom. Anyways, prayers are headed your way.

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Heard from the coroner earlier. She had hypertensive cardio disease with coronary insufficiency. The exact same thing that gave me a heart attack a couple years ago and has me disabled today. I told that girl a few times to get her ass in and get checked. She had the same body style as me and my dad so it was not a stretch to think she needed checking out by a cardiologist too. Yet she was like me there too and never went.
I just can't imagine what you are going through. Wish there was something I could do.

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I just can't imagine what you are going through. Wish there was something I could do.
Appreciate it Atchaffy :) Been pretty much numb today trying not to think. Been on the phone a lot today and everyone knows how much I abhor being on the phone. Few times I wanted to smash it against the wall just because I had more than enough of being on the damn phone. You of all peeps know how hard it is to keep me on a phone mre than 5 minutes :teehee: But if my mom or one of my nieces needs to talk they know I will be there for them.

I hear that. Also feel bad for Choppie's mom - outliving a child is a cruelty

Mom said earlier that she knows it is true, she is gone but its not real yet. Said that she was suppose to have gone first. My heart is breaking for her.

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Appreciate it Atchaffy :) Been pretty much numb today trying not to think. Been on the phone a lot today and everyone knows how much I abhor being on the phone. Few times I wanted to smash it against the wall just because I had more than enough of being on the damn phone. You of all peeps know how hard it is to keep me on a phone mre than 5 minutes :teehee: But if my mom or one of my nieces needs to talk they know I will be there for them.

Mom said earlier that she knows it is true, she is gone but its not real yet. Said that she was suppose to have gone first. My heart is breaking for her.
Yes I know sweetie. I'm praying for your whole family. You hang in there. Hugs from Texas. BIG HUGS.

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Yes I know sweetie. I'm praying for your whole family. You hang in there. Hugs from Texas. BIG HUGS.

Thanks boo :)

Things are moving on. Life goes on. Its still surreal and I am still numb but it is what it is. The family decided to go with cremation. My brother in law wanted a huge funeral with all the trimmings. Yet of course no one has any money to pay for it and she had no insurance. We, my mom and me suggested cremation for $1500 and they agreed thats all they could afford so my mom and me will pay for that and her hubby and kids will take care of the burial plot and headstone. Sunday there is a viewing for an hour but I will not attend. I have no desire to have my last memory of my big sis laying on a table dead. No thanks. My mom is kinda the same way but feels she owes it to my sister to go so the ex will take her Sunday and my mom will decided then if she wants to see her or not.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Things are moving on. Life goes on. Its still surreal and I am still numb but it is what it is. The family decided to go with cremation. My brother in law wanted a huge funeral with all the trimmings. Yet of course no one has any money to pay for it and she had no insurance. We, my mom and me suggested cremation for $1500 and they agreed thats all they could afford so my mom and me will pay for that and her hubby and kids will take care of the burial plot and headstone. Sunday there is a viewing for an hour but I will not attend. I have no desire to have my last memory of my big sis laying on a table dead. No thanks. My mom is kinda the same way but feels she owes it to my sister to go so the ex will take her Sunday and my mom will decided then if she wants to see her or not.

They never look right, after death; my mom passed on the 14th and the funeral was the 18th, and my stepfather and I had the casket opened one last time to say goodbye, and it was really hard to see my mom's body there at all. The tissues just dry and collapse after death, no matter how good a makeup job the undertaker does. I knew that would be the case, so I more or less expected it, but it really upset my aunt, her sister. She doesn't really know much about the physical processes involved, so she was really surprised and upset by the obvious changes. The only real benefit to actually seeing it is that it provides that absolute closure, no doubt about it whatever, this person is gone, completely. :sad: I guess it kinda bridges you from denial to true grief. It's hard to believe when someone you love who's always been there is just gone, but having seen that, you have no doubt.

Andria

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

I couldn't see my dad either.
I think it's a great idea not spending a lot of money on a funeral. I don't want anyone to spend a lot on me either. Your sisters in heaven now so it doesn't matter where or how she's buried. My opinion the grave site is just for loved ones. Sudden death like that is very difficult. You get blindsided. There's no preparation. My heart goes out to you and your family. I wish I was closer so I could give you a great big Atchafy hug.

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Andria, your very right. I have never seen anyone look like themselves after they died.

You too are right Atchaffy, spending a lot on a funeral is really a waste of money. My final wishes for the last decade is no funeral for me.

The really really fucked part of this whole nightmare is tomorrow they will lay my big sis out on a table for a quick family viewing before she will be cremated. Tomorrow is also my big sis 55th birthday. Life is cruel.

Last edited:

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Andria, your very right. I have never seen anyone look like themselves after they died.

You too are right Atchaffy, spending a lot on a funeral is really a waste of money. My final wishes for the last decade is no funeral for me.

The really really fucked part of this whole nightmare is tomorrow they will lay by big sis out on a table for a quick family viewing before she will be cremated. Tomorrow is also my big sis 55th birthday. Life is cruel.

A lot of people say that, "no funeral". The thing that isn't taken into account at all is that a funeral ISN'T for the person who died, it's for those who are left behind! :facepalm: It's a rite of passage, a formal goodbye in which all who cared for that person can mark their passing and commence their grieving. Saying you don't want a funeral is the very height of vanity and self-centeredness, since you won't be there at all, only your empty physical form, which needs to be formally "put away" in some fashion, whether burial or cremation. It's a HUMAN thing, to say goodbye to someone we love. Without it, there is only emptiness.

to all those who say "I don't want a funeral" (including my husband!), I say GET OVER YOURSELF AND THINK OF OTHERS!

Andria

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

¡ɟlǝsɹno⅄ ʞɔnℲ o
פ

Why? Simply because. :) It is just one of those days.

The thing that isn't taken into account at all is that a funeral ISN'T for the person who died, it's for those who are left behind! :facepalm: It's a rite of passage, a formal goodbye in which all who cared for that person can mark their passing and commence their grieving. Saying you don't want a funeral is the very height of vanity and self-centeredness, since you won't be there at all, only your empty physical form, which needs to be formally "put away" in some fashion, whether burial or cremation. It's a HUMAN thing, to say goodbye to someone we love. Without it, there is only emptiness.

So it was for my benefit to look in a box on my Grandma who got eaten away by Alzheimer's? It was for me to see a lady who I could not physically recognize? That's my consolation, my comfort? Sorry, you can keep that.

I am though comforted knowing in death she is at least no longer suffering. I kind of doubt her or my Pap's desire to have only small ceremonies, with little pomp, was at all self centered. My Grandma & Pap both lived as best they could to the lodestone of Jesus Christ in the King James Bible. They were humble so that others could see how it was to live humbly. They didn't preach or go judging others and harass them into being Christians.

It was rare too to hear either of them say to the other, "I love you." Rare because they lived love as they lived humility. You knew by their actions they loved one another. You knew too that they loved you by their actions. Every harvest season all the family was given vegetables, given venison of various kinds. We got clothes, shoes, school supplies, and when children come to an age where it got difficult to buy gifts to suit they give cash. We even got hugs at times. :)

They also helped others who didn't have it as well as us. I helped Pap and my uncle to fix up a house to at least be safely livable. This was done because my uncle had been in the 'Nam with this old Joe. He could walk and do up to a point and then he had to stop because pains physical, emotional, mental would catch up. My uncle did not directly serve with him but knew him from a short while that he needed transporting, then later back in the world at a temporary job. This guy had gone through all the aid the VA decided he was worth dolling out to help, and he had grown too proud to ask at any given. We helped because it's what people should do, it's ethical, moral, just, right. We asked nothing in return, only that he and his family live and enjoy best they could.

No, my Grandma & Pap were not self centered. Doubt they believe/d all there is, is nothingness or emptiness either. If they could have gotten by without any kind of funeral service, they would have done it. State statutes, policies kind of hindered their choices though. That and they already sold off their property, real estate to help cover their aging care in facilities ran by others.

I apologize if this reads as assailing you. Tried chomping against the ideas instead and hopefully have steered my expression of views toward the ideas well. If not I do apologize. It seems my bud @chopdoc is not alone in seeing family go onward recently. Grandma's funeral was Wednesday morning at 10 AM, in Virginia. She was put beside Pap in a cemetery abutting two or three different Churches on what is called Schoolhouse Hill in Timberville. They are both no more than a plot away from his brother, Harry, a gentleman that instilled an affinity for Sherlock Holmes in me.

Excuse me, have a few minor things to attend.

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
A lot of people say that, "no funeral". The thing that isn't taken into account at all is that a funeral ISN'T for the person who died, it's for those who are left behind! :facepalm: It's a rite of passage, a formal goodbye in which all who cared for that person can mark their passing and commence their grieving. Saying you don't want a funeral is the very height of vanity and self-centeredness, since you won't be there at all, only your empty physical form, which needs to be formally "put away" in some fashion, whether burial or cremation. It's a HUMAN thing, to say goodbye to someone we love. Without it, there is only emptiness.

to all those who say "I don't want a funeral" (including my husband!), I say GET OVER YOURSELF AND THINK OF OTHERS!

Andria

Thats one view point Andria, there is always many more poinnts of view.

My nephew we had to bury last year. The ex and me raised that boy since he was a wee pup. Abouut 5 years before he died he got into it with a gu, two of this guys buddies jumped in, the held my nephew while the guy he got into it twisted his neck, leaving him paralyzed from the neck down for the rest of his life.
For the next five years my nephew was an absolute prick. We all tried to take care of him. I spent thousands to give him a place right next door to his grandma where one of his uncles could stay with him and help take care of him yet the boy hated life and did not want to live and made sure everyone around him was miserable. He took a handful of pills and my ex found him in time and called an ambulance. Out of gratitude the nephew told his son who the ex absolutely adored that his aunt tried to kill him. It was a lie but the lil boy to this day hates his aunt because of what his dad told her. He ended up in a nursing home and somehow got his hands on a second fentanyl patch and thats what killed him, OD on fentanyl. We, the ex and me spent $10K on his funeral for two people to show up and a handful of family. Total waste of money.

For myself, all my friends from my career live in other states. I am a recluse around the house. I always been a loner and yall here probably know more about me than most because I am not outgoing. Its not my nature. I like everyone pretty much but I am not out going and I know no one around here who would even attend my funeral except a few family members. Its just a total waste of money for them to have a funeral for me. Not when that money can help other live. They can have a memorial for me or even a crawfish boil in my honor. I dont care. But for a funeral, that just rubs across my grain badly. So call it selfless if you want but they are my convictions and based more on me wanting to take care of those I care about more than wasting money on something I view pointless.

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

The really really fucked part of this whole nightmare is tomorrow they will lay my big sis out on a table for a quick family viewing before she will be cremated. Tomorrow is also my big sis 55th birthday. Life is cruel.
Just remember it's not her. Just the body she occupied here on earth.

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Just read this Doc...I'm really sorry to hear this.

Choppy I hope all is better today for you. :blowkiss:
Harry did SO well in his first day of doggie school Saturday. He did all the commands I taught him in front of everyone. Even the instructors were impressed with him and asked me again if he really was only 10 weeks old. Now, if I can just get him to stop chewing me to pieces! lol

Last edited:

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
¡ɟlǝsɹno⅄ ʞɔnℲ oפ

Why? Simply because. :) It is just one of those days.

So it was for my benefit to look in a box on my Grandma who got eaten away by Alzheimer's? It was for me to see a lady who I could not physically recognize? That's my consolation, my comfort? Sorry, you can keep that.

I am though comforted knowing in death she is at least no longer suffering. I kind of doubt her or my Pap's desire to have only small ceremonies, with little pomp, was at all self centered. My Grandma & Pap both lived as best they could to the lodestone of Jesus Christ in the King James Bible. They were humble so that others could see how it was to live humbly. They didn't preach or go judging others and harass them into being Christians.

It was rare too to hear either of them say to the other, "I love you." Rare because they lived love as they lived humility. You knew by their actions they loved one another. You knew too that they loved you by their actions. Every harvest season all the family was given vegetables, given venison of various kinds. We got clothes, shoes, school supplies, and when children come to an age where it got difficult to buy gifts to suit they give cash. We even got hugs at times. :)

They also helped others who didn't have it as well as us. I helped Pap and my uncle to fix up a house to at least be safely livable. This was done because my uncle had been in the 'Nam with this old Joe. He could walk and do up to a point and then he had to stop because pains physical, emotional, mental would catch up. My uncle did not directly serve with him but knew him from a short while that he needed transporting, then later back in the world at a temporary job. This guy had gone through all the aid the VA decided he was worth dolling out to help, and he had grown too proud to ask at any given. We helped because it's what people should do, it's ethical, moral, just, right. We asked nothing in return, only that he and his family live and enjoy best they could.

No, my Grandma & Pap were not self centered. Doubt they believe/d all there is, is nothingness or emptiness either. If they could have gotten by without any kind of funeral service, they would have done it. State statutes, policies kind of hindered their choices though. That and they already sold off their property, real estate to help cover their aging care in facilities ran by others.

I apologize if this reads as assailing you. Tried chomping against the ideas instead and hopefully have steered my expression of views toward the ideas well. If not I do apologize. It seems my bud @chopdoc is not alone in seeing family go onward recently. Grandma's funeral was Wednesday morning at 10 AM, in Virginia. She was put beside Pap in a cemetery abutting two or three different Churches on what is called Schoolhouse Hill in Timberville. They are both no more than a plot away from his brother, Harry, a gentleman that instilled an affinity for Sherlock Holmes in me.

Excuse me, have a few minor things to attend.
They sound like they were wonderful people.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Disgusting baby red head Texas centipede in my kitchen sink yesterday morning. Blech!
View attachment 119449

Not sure it was that kind exactly, but I had to chase down some kiind of centipede in my bedroom a couple months ago -- chasing it down with RAID! -- and a marble ashtray. We may not use ashtrays for their intended purpose anymore, but the kind made of marble are damn handy bug killers. Could probably kill a RAT with this one, it weighs at least 5 lbs. :giggle:

Andria

Last edited:

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Worst pain you could imagine, getting bit by a centipede. I did, and I know a woman that has 6 kids. She said she would rather give birth to them twice, than to get bit by one of these again.
Yeah one got me as well. Took two weeks for the swelling go down. But I think the worst pain I ever had was from a tarantula hawk a year-and-a-half ago. I could not stop screaming it hurt so bad

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
They sound like they were wonderful people.

I know they were and know where ever they've gone now, if anywhere, they're still being wonderful. :)

I will not say there is a Heaven or Hell, nor will I say there is not either of those. I will say I'm not sure I know nor could ever know. From my own experience of dying as an infant all I recall is an unnameable but sentient darkness, or maybe there were sentient beings in the darkness. Beyond that I heard an androgynous voice say, "you have work to do." I've lived on since then. The darkness did not frighten me. Of course having been an infant, likely I had no reason to be afraid.

Can I tell anyone there is a God? No.

Can I tell anyone there is not a God? No.

I can say I don't know and don't think anyone can know. That however does not imply I disrespect what others might think or believe. I just think differently. I think (generalizing again as much as dislike doing it) most of us think differently from one another. That probably keeps the Earth going, too. :)

Some might say my way of thinking marks me as atheist. Well, I suppose if you want to say I'm an atheist you could. I think of myself as agnostic and possibly a heretic in the sense of the original Greek meaning of it, one who has a different opinion. Gee, everyone has a different opinion, no? ;) :p :)

As my mom said, "son, you're unique and so special, ... just like everyone else on Earth." That has kept me with feet of clay on the ground even if my head does float among clouds. :)

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
There's no doubt for me. I have had the Holy Spirit, the Great Comforter get me through the years. I have "heard" Him speak from within. I knew my mother would die at the age of 84. I knew my son would have a little girl. There have been many things "told" to me since I was a child. And I feel comforted that after this little whisp of a life, because of what He did, and nothing I did..or could do...........or deserve, I'll see my loved ones that have gone on from here again.
Harry licked my hand this morning instead of ripping it to shreds. One day at a time I suppose.
Happy Tuesday all! :bunny:

scwcustoms63

Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Yeah one got me as well. Took two weeks for the swelling go down. But I think the worst pain I ever had was from a tarantula hawk a year-and-a-half ago. I could not stop screaming it hurt so bad
Well, I was referring to the ones in Hawaii, sorry, which can get up to 12-16 inches long. It bit me twice in the same exact spot! It had wrapped my ankle like a constrictor, and bit the outside of my foot twice. The one that got me was around 9 inches. THAT fucker hurt!!! It felt like somebody was trying to cut my foot off with a blow torch! I haven't had the pleasure of getting bitten by a smaller one, like the ones around here, but i hear they burn like hell too. Also, I completely forgot about that damn tarantula hawk. That SOB is like a gun shot, lol!!!

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Yeah well he can still get to things trust me. But his favorite chew toy is me unfortunately

I know what ya mean girl, to this day I am still Rascals favorite chew toy and that lil shit head dont know what easy is. At times I think he is proud of himself when he makes his pops yell OOOWWW :teehee:

He has been at his mommy for over a week and was thinking of picking him up but I am probably gonna wait until the weekend. In the last 3 months he has been with me all but maybe 10 days to two weeks. I been trying to be fair with the ex because she loves him too. Plus this weekend was not a good week for me to be having him.

chopdoc

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Well, I was referring to the ones in Hawaii, sorry, which can get up to 12-16 inches long. It bit me twice in the same exact spot! It had wrapped my ankle like a constrictor, and bit the outside of my foot twice. The one that got me was around 9 inches. THAT fucker hurt!!! It felt like somebody was trying to cut my foot off with a blow torch! I haven't had the pleasure of getting bitten by a smaller one, like the ones around here, but i hear they burn like hell too. Also, I completely forgot about that damn tarantula hawk. That SOB is like a gun shot, lol!!!

Seen a guy offshore on an oil platform get stung by a short fuzzy thing like that. We had to medivac him to the hospital for it. The guy was screaming.

VU Sponsors