Become a Patron!

Ears won't stop popping and crackling! Please help

JimboConn

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just got first set up 8 days ago started notice constant ear popping as I got used to the vape I tried all different inhalation methods and airflow adjustments ear popping went away after 2 days finally no problem for a week very good vaping ensued I came to love the setup now again yesterday thru to now my ears won't stop popping again after every pull off my vape...WTF guy at shop said he hears simalar complaints and that it should go away but it's getting worse it's not any infection it's def vape or juice related anyone experience this and will it stop or must I go back to nasty Marlboros? Any responses appreciated . BTW hello all I'm new here and new to Vaping. I really don't wanna have to give it up. Thanks

JimboConn

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What's you're set up?
Smoking vapor mi-one...I never Vaped so I didn't want to invest that much in a big one...Turns out this thing packs a punch in the amount of vape I can pull...But like I said even if i go light something def is efffecting my ENT ....Maybe it's heat but then I Google all this stuff about PG being toxic to the ear..But I don't see how that would cause the immediate popping crap..So yes I'm ranting small unit I think it is 11Oo mah coil is 2 or 3 ohms...First few days were really hot and harsh thought that was reason but then I started getting nice strong hits and no problems no problem back and I wish I knew WTF it is from.
Thanks

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I understand you feeling like ranting, I'm sure you're frustrated with it. Have you seen a doc about it? That would rule out anything that might be going on coincidentally.

I hit the google just to see if there was much about it. I saw other forums where people talked about it, so you haven't been alone there. A couple things I read said they cleared up in a short while, so hopefully that's where you'll be, too. Several of the things I read mentioned people vaping higher VG ratios. Many people are sensitive to VG, just as many are sensitive to PG. Experimenting with your juice ratio is one way to narrow it down, But honestly, a Dr's opinion will be your best bet, just to play it safe

How long since you quit smoking?

BTW, we don't want you to go back to smoking either, so I hope you figure it out.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I came across something about PG causing ear issues in some people.Never had any problem myself, but then, Ive never used more than 30pg. Usually I use 20/80. Im not sure what you use now, but 30/70 should work in most tank style atomizers. Even epens. OR 20/80 and add 1 or 2 drops of distilled, bottled or even tap water per ml of ejuice. This will thin the juice for wicking, without the pg issues. 2 drops per ml is 10%, so maybe try 1 drop per ml to start.

You should also do more research into pg and vaping and how it affects the ear. What I saw stated it can, but not how. It is the how we need to find out about, so I'll check into it a bit more as well.

Edit...
I have found info stating the way you vape may cause ear popping. Do you inhale quite hard when you vape? This would reduce air pressure in the ear and cause popping. So a slower, steadier pull might help.

Last edited:

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Are you being sure to stay well hydrated? PG and VG both will dehydrate you (they're both alcohols), and being dehydrated can cause all sorts of side effects. It causes me to have snot rocks (hard chunks of snot) that causes coughing until expelled where the nasal cavity drains into the upper part of your throat (yeah, perhaps over sharing a tad, but it is what it is). I dunno if being dehydrated will affect the ears or not (I never noticed it) but everyone is different.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If memory serves me correctly, @HeadInClouds had mentioned that high PG levels caused him tinnitus, which is one of the reasons he went to max VG.

JimboConn

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
If memory serves me correctly, @HeadInClouds had mentioned that high PG levels caused him tinnitus, which is one of the reasons he went to max VG.
Yea I have always had tinnitus don't know yet if vaping is making it worse but there's lots of stuff on interweb about PG as an ear toxin the thing is popping is caused by fluid in ear tubes which is connected to sinuses and all that so I don't see the tinnitus ear popping connection I'm just upset that I seem to be the only freaking person in the world w this annoying issue..Figures I've been an outcast all my life anyway oh well maybe I'll just chew nicorette for the rest of my life...I just wonder if I'm inhaling wrong or taking in too much?

JimboConn

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Are you being sure to stay well hydrated? PG and VG both will dehydrate you (they're both alcohols), and being dehydrated can cause all sorts of side effects. It causes me to have snot rocks (hard chunks of snot) that causes coughing until expelled where the nasal cavity drains into the upper part of your throat (yeah, perhaps over sharing a tad, but it is what it is). I dunno if being dehydrated will affect the ears or not (I never noticed it) but everyone is different.
Actually I really don't drink enough water my GF is always on me about that...thanx

JimboConn

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I came across something about PG causing ear issues in some people.Never had any problem myself, but then, Ive never used more than 30pg. Usually I use 20/80. Im not sure what you use now, but 30/70 should work in most tank style atomizers. Even epens. OR 20/80 and add 1 or 2 drops of distilled, bottled or even tap water per ml of ejuice. This will thin the juice for wicking, without the pg issues. 2 drops per ml is 10%, so maybe try 1 drop per ml to start.

You should also do more research into pg and vaping and how it affects the ear. What I saw stated it can, but not how. It is the how we need to find out about, so I'll check into it a bit more as well.

Edit...
I have found info stating the way you vape may cause ear popping. Do you inhale quite hard when you vape? This would reduce air pressure in the ear and cause popping. So a slower, steadier pull might help.
Yes I didnt see your edit I think maybe I do pull hard sometimes to get a big hit the nic fiend that I am so I'll attempt to be mindful of what you said and see how it works ty

JimboConn

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Edit...
Wait so I should try dripping water into my tank? How can I measure what's what I just buy 30 ml bottles 6mg first ingredients VG then PG no amounts listed then I just fill my tank to the line

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yea I have always had tinnitus don't know yet if vaping is making it worse but there's lots of stuff on interweb about PG as an ear toxin the thing is popping is caused by fluid in ear tubes which is connected to sinuses and all that so I don't see the tinnitus ear popping connection I'm just upset that I seem to be the only freaking person in the world w this annoying issue..Figures I've been an outcast all my life anyway oh well maybe I'll just chew nicorette for the rest of my life...I just wonder if I'm inhaling wrong or taking in too much?
I don't know the current PG level of your juice, but try a higher VG and see if it makes a difference. If one is sensitive, it could cause a myriad of issues.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Wait so I should try dripping water into my tank? How can I measure what's what I just buy 30 ml bottles 6mg first ingredients VG then PG no amounts listed then I just fill my tank to the line
1 drop - 1/20th of 1ml or 5%. You dont have to be totally exact. Say your tank holds 3ml.. just add 3 drops. Mind you, that is if you reduce your pg. Say 20/80 from 30/70. It will be trial and error, start with one drop, if that still seems to thick, try 3 drops per 2ml( =1.5 drops per ml), then 2 drops per ml.
Now this is only if taking longer puffs don't work. Could be that you are just sucking to hard. (get your mind out of the gutter).. lol.

juice sticking in my sinuses maybe
Do you exhale through the nose?
I actually do that on purpose, it helps with stuffy sinuses.. (for me at least- perhaps due to plastic surgery I had to have 20 yrs ago)

To be honest, It rather sounds like your inhale technique. You know, sucking to hard to get the vape. Try just doing mouth to lung like a cigarette.. fill your mouth, remove vape pen, then inhale, like you would a cigarette.

What I am really puzzling over, is a vape pen and tank don't produce as much vapor as say a regular box mod and tank or drip atomizer. So the PG would be quite a bit lower per puff.

I go through 10 to 20 ml of juice per day, when I used a pen i used maybe 5ml. (though I used a lot more nic per ml)
and yes....
Drink more water!!! Several reasons..

1 pg will make you thirsty and dry your nose, mouth, throat, and make you cough if you don't keep hydrated.
2 water helps the pg and vg dissolve back into the system, and helps you "bring up" the old crap that has been collecting over years of smoking. When I quit smoking, my sputum was greyish brown for weeks, now after 1 year, it is pretty much clear.
3 Water will help flush those toxins out of your system as well.

If you don't like drinking water, you can make ice tea. I make 10L at a time, since the wife likes it. (saves me a fortune on pop) I'll post the recipe if you want it.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I am not just read the thread though he's got the ear crackling but no one seems to Kno a cause
Edit: it's got to be juice sticking in my sinuses maybe? Vapor I should say causing build up where there shouldn't be sucks cigarettes are nasty now that I've Vaped so seems I'm screwed
I found that thread too, but very few actual medical threads related to PG, VG, or vaping relating to ear disorders. Only 1 that was several years old, where they compared vaping to smoking.. such as "Smoking tobacco has an effect on hearing, therefore we can assume vaping does as well" At which point I dismissed the article.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
So more research..
It is pretty simple.. PG can cause permanent hearing loss. IF dripped directly into the ear as it acts on the auditory nerve.. SO.. giving up vaping would not cause a persons hearing to return. Any damage PG might cause, would have to be directly in the ear and non-reversible. So PG present in your blood stream after vaping would not affect your hearing.
What this tells us, is it is most likely not pg causing the popping, therefore it has to be something else. Since it was temporary, the other posts and articles suggest, that this will go away on its own in a few weeks. It is just a matter of changes in pressure in the inner ear, just like getting in an airplane or blowing up a balloon.

Now, of course I am not a doctor, but I am a monster for research. LOL.. Im that kid in 1st grade that was always last to finish "find the meaning of these words in the dictionary" mainly because... I kept reading all the other words and meaning on the pages By 2nd grade.. I was the first one finished. Already knew what was in the dictionary. LMAO.

JimboConn

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What this tells us, is it is most likely not pg causing the popping, therefore it has to be something else. Since it was temporary, the other posts and articles suggest, that this will go away on its own in a few weeks. It is just a matter of changes in pressure in the inner ear, just like getting in an airplane or blowing up a balloon.

Now, of course I am not a doctor, but I am a monster for research. LOL.. Im that kid in 1st grade that was always last to finish "find the meaning of these words in the dictionary" mainly because... I kept reading all the other words and meaning on the pages By 2nd grade.. I was the first one finished. Already knew what was in the dictionary. LMAO.
Thanks for the research yes It seems unlikely the pg would be causing ear popping this quick but I am also no doctor... Hopefully it will fade away soon and maybe my system is detoxifying...Thanks again!

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Have you ever vaped 50/50 juice? In my head this makes sense... if it got worse with 50/50 then it could be that PG is causing your issue. If the problem gets better, then you need less VG juice.

Like I said, in my head it makes sense.

JimboConn

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I understand you feeling like ranting, I'm sure you're frustrated with it. Have you seen a doc about it? That would rule out anything that might be going on coincidentally.

I hit the google just to see if there was much about it. I saw other forums where people talked about it, so you haven't been alone there. A couple things I read said they cleared up in a short while, so hopefully that's where you'll be, too. Several of the things I read mentioned people vaping higher VG ratios. Many people are sensitive to VG, just as many are sensitive to PG. Experimenting with your juice ratio is one way to narrow it down, But honestly, a Dr's opinion will be your best bet, just to play it safe

How long since you quit smoking?

BTW, we don't want you to go back to smoking either, so I hope you figure it out.
Been 12 days since I quit....
So get this I stopped vaping for almost 2 days and got by w some 4mg nicotine lozenges I .. The ear popping faded away and basically stopped completely today... I just took three pulls of 50/50 12 mg (went up so I'd vape Less) and immediate ear popping came back after swallowing or eating and also random crackling came right back also seems to be major discharge of fluid like I mean constant flow or nose dripping and mucus down throat....WHY ME!?!? Sucks I'm about to buy a pack of smokes...Maybe go to a doc like you guys suggest..I just don't get it

Reactions: Hhh

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Been 12 days since I quit....
So get this I stopped vaping for almost 2 days and got by w some 4mg nicotine lozenges I .. The ear popping faded away and basically stopped completely today... I just took three pulls of 50/50 12 mg (went up so I'd vape Less) and immediate ear popping came back after swallowing or eating and also random crackling came right back also seems to be major discharge of fluid like I mean constant flow or nose dripping and mucus down throat....WHY ME!?!? Sucks I'm about to buy a pack of smokes...Maybe go to a doc like you guys suggest..I just don't get it
12 days in man, don't give up.
Are you exhaling through your nose? Remember vapor isn't smoke, so as it cools, it condenses. If it condenses in your nose, it has to go somewhere. Seems to me I went through a couple weeks of that, but it helped clear my sinuses, so i counted it as a win.

And of course go to the dr.. you could have an ear infection..

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee

Dude you admit to "always had tinnitus" but now after a couple weeks you want to blame something unfounded about vaping - like PG being some kind of 'ear poison'? Really? This isn't something being reports by tens of thousand of vapers.

IMO it sounds like you have a TMJ problem, of which popping or grating sounds when you open and close your mouth is one of the primary symptoms.

JimboConn

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Dude you admit to "always had tinnitus" but now after a couple weeks you want to blame something unfounded about vaping - like PG being some kind of 'ear poison'? Really? This isn't something being reports by tens of thousand of vapers.

IMO it sounds like you have a TMJ problem, of which popping or grating sounds when you open and close your mouth is one of the primary symptoms.
Dude I'm not worried about tinnitus I only brought that up because that's the most common thing you find when you Google "vaping and ear problems" if you had read my post I am solely trying to figure out why my ears are POPPING hence title of the thread I don't give a shit about tinnitus that's not my issue...And yes from what I read pg can only harm the ears if there's direct contact with the ear parts they found this out because it was an ingredient in ear drops that turned out to to be causing tinnitus and hearing loss...Anyway I don't know why I'm talking about it again it's not my issue! I didn't say I now have tinnitus from vaping and I didn't blame tinnitus on vaping read the thread but yea if u want Google pg it's been deemed by professionals as toxic to the ear... Anyway constant popping in my ears is all I wanted to find out about... tinnitus don't care I've had it since I was a kid

JimboConn

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
12 days in man, don't give up.
Are you exhaling through your nose? Remember vapor isn't smoke, so as it cools, it condenses. If it condenses in your nose, it has to go somewhere. Seems to me I went through a couple weeks of that, but it helped clear my sinuses, so i counted it as a win.

And of course go to the dr.. you could have an ear infection..
Yes I was exhaling through nose and I found this :
"Popping in the ears, without other symptoms, would be an unusual way for allergies to show up in a 19-year-old. I would ask your son about other symptoms: itchy eyes, runny, itchy nose, sneezing, nasal congestion, mucus draining down the back of his throat. It may be that the ear popping bothers him so much that he barely notices the other symptoms. Also, it seems to me that teenage boys I see in the office with their mothers often deny that they have any symptoms while their mothers are sitting next to them, rolling their eyes and nodding yes to every question. In other words, you may notice things that your son does not. Do you think he sounds congested much of the time, clears his throat a lot, or snores when he didn't before? If you or he think that any of these other things are present, then an allergy evaluation with skin testing for inhaled allergies (pollen, animal danders, dust mites, etc.) would be appropriate.

Also, it might be worth asking the ENTs who evaluated him if they saw any signs of allergy. Sometimes they do but simply neglect to mention it to the patient because they are more focused on problems that can be corrected surgically. People can also have symptoms of allergy but not have allergies — as can be seen with a condition called nonallergic rhinitis. In this condition, things like cigarette smoke, traffic fumes, and changes in temperature and humidity trigger inflammation in the nose and respiratory tract."

I'm not 19 im 34 and I've never had allergies I have been prone to ear/sinus issues due to deviated septum so maybe it has something to do with the heat coming in or like you said vape condensing going out...Yea I'm gonna keep going see if my body gets used to it definetly seems to be clearing me out ..But thanxs...Like I said the dude at the vape shop claims he's had ppl with the same issue who got through it...But according to the above article I found maybe my ear tubes are somehow being inflamed or agitated or fluid build up...we shall see.

""In theory, nonallergic causes of chronic inflammation of the throat and back of the nasal passages can also include drug use or exposure to volatile chemicals. As best you are able, make sure he is not smoking, snorting, or inhaling anything that could be causing his symptoms. Additionally, look into whether he is exposed to any solvents or volatile organic compounds at work or during hobbies.""

JimboConn

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yes I was exhaling through nose and I found this :
"Popping in the ears, without other symptoms, would be an unusual way for allergies to show up in a 19-year-old. I would ask your son about other symptoms: itchy eyes, runny, itchy nose, sneezing, nasal congestion, mucus draining down the back of his throat. It may be that the ear popping bothers him so much that he barely notices the other symptoms. Also, it seems to me that teenage boys I see in the office with their mothers often deny that they have any symptoms while their mothers are sitting next to them, rolling their eyes and nodding yes to every question. In other words, you may notice things that your son does not. Do you think he sounds congested much of the time, clears his throat a lot, or snores when he didn't before? If you or he think that any of these other things are present, then an allergy evaluation with skin testing for inhaled allergies (pollen, animal danders, dust mites, etc.) would be appropriate.

Also, it might be worth asking the ENTs who evaluated him if they saw any signs of allergy. Sometimes they do but simply neglect to mention it to the patient because they are more focused on problems that can be corrected surgically. People can also have symptoms of allergy but not have allergies — as can be seen with a condition called nonallergic rhinitis. In this condition, things like cigarette smoke, traffic fumes, and changes in temperature and humidity trigger inflammation in the nose and respiratory tract."

I'm not 19 im 34 and I've never had allergies I have been prone to ear/sinus issues due to deviated septum so maybe it has something to do with the heat coming in or like you said vape condensing going out...Yea I'm gonna keep going see if my body gets used to it definetly seems to be clearing me out ..But thanxs...Like I said the dude at the vape shop claims he's had ppl with the same issue who got through it...But according to the above article I found maybe my ear tubes are somehow being inflamed or agitated or fluid build up...we shall see.

""In theory, nonallergic causes of chronic inflammation of the throat and back of the nasal passages can also include drug use or exposure to volatile chemicals. As best you are able, make sure he is not smoking, snorting, or inhaling anything that could be causing his symptoms. Additionally, look into whether he is exposed to any solvents or volatile organic compounds at work or during hobbies.""
I do have constant fluids draining down back of throat this was seen in MRI way B4 i ever Vaped ...i do also occasional snort my medication that's suppose to be taken orally ( which is prolly causing the excessive mucus drainage lol) well...Just being honest whatever ..But maybe these are all factors who knows I was just surprised no one else on the whole world wide web ran into this prob vaping...
BTW thank you everyone for your input it is very much appreciated... And I'll vape till it stops or a doc tells me I should stop

JimboConn

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thread went dead geez I wonder why...All day nausea and headache is this due to too much nicotine consumption?

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Thread went dead geez I wonder why...All day nausea and headache is this due to too much nicotine consumption?
Too much nic will do that, yeah.

Re: drippy nose - Some flavors give me more of a drippy nose than others. Other allergies as well will do it (of course) such as triggered by house pets, house that hasn't been vacuumed or dusted lately, etc. You'll also undergo some changes as you quit smoking (e.g. suddenly can smell things way better than you could before, including the people around you that didn't shower this morning) so I wouldn't be surprised if you become more sensitive to pollens and such as your nasal system wakes up due to quitting smoking.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Usually, I only exhale through the nose when I have nasal congestion. As noted, it moisturizes the nasal passage and I have found, it even flushed out "gross stuff" (not wanting to be to specific).
I have noticed, that I have less night time congestion than I did before vaping. My problem could have been caused by years of working in harsh paint fumes and dust . (I used a lot of industrial paints and thinners).

Yeah, the nausea and headache probably are from to much nic.. Drop your level by 3mg (at a time until your symptoms stop) to accommodate your vaping habit.

JimboConn

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Well kinda good news it's been a week and I did see a doc who told me I should stop vaping I took Sudafed for two days to get stuffiness out of my ear and which worked but the problem seemed to be in the juice I tried a much better quality juice that 70vg/30pg and problem almost completely went away I do still get occasional ear popping when vaping hard at work but all seems to be well...cheap 50/50 juice no good for me I seem to be the 1 in 1000 highly sensitive to pg..but hope this helps if any has this issue and thanks all again

Hhh

Member For 1 Year
Well kinda good news it's been a week and I did see a doc who told me I should stop vaping I took Sudafed for two days to get stuffiness out of my ear and which worked but the problem seemed to be in the juice I tried a much better quality juice that 70vg/30pg and problem almost completely went away I do still get occasional ear popping when vaping hard at work but all seems to be well...cheap 50/50 juice no good for me I seem to be the 1 in 1000 highly sensitive to pg..but hope this helps if any has this issue and thanks all again
I read your posts and i suffer exactly the same symptoms i stopped for 10 days and tried 50/50 and immediately had ear problem. .. i keept ignoring this and it develop dizziness and that does not only happens with me but with some people (1000 people you mentioned )and yes some juices are better than other may be the flavoring or the pg allergy am not sure can you tell me what you vape now working best with u

VU Sponsors