Become a Patron!

Earl Grey?

skocha361

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I drink hot tea on occasion and recently tried a b&m's earl grey (buckeye vapors if you know em). Holy mother of crap! I gotta figure out how to make this!

I think I saw HiC say tfa's earl grey is damn close, but I'd also like to try mixing one. Any tea drinkers had a go at this? Or know a good tea, lavender, orange peel, and sweetener to use? I'm a diy noob and would appreciate any advice.

thewaatt

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I've tried TFA Earl Grey alone at 6% and it was absolutely grotesque. Tasted like I had just chewed on a mouthful of tea bags. I had to clean my dripper with vodka and a combination of vinegar/baking soda to get rid of the lingering flavour. It's very overwhelming.

I haven't tried at lower percentages, but I imagine at 1-2% maximum, it might be palatable. FWIW, it does taste a little like Earl Grey tea, just start at low percentages and work your way up. It would probably combine well with other tea related flavours(creams or lemon, etc), but I haven't worked up the courage to use it again in any of my mixes.

FA Black Tea is a much better flavour to use when creating a tea base.

HeadInClouds

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Unlisted Vendor
IMO the ideal make-it-yourself Earl Grey would start with that FA Bergamot, FA Black Tea, optional FA Honey (flavors FA does better than other brands). I can't stand vaping florals, but I have their lavender, and it's just like the plants I grow. Maybe other brands are also good for lavender... I dunno!

All tea flavors I've used are strong. 2% standalone is probably sufficient for most. Adding 0.5% Bergamot would be about right. Honey - I'd make a separate bottle of that at 10%, then use that as your flavoring, around 1-2%. Yeah, it's that strong!

TFA's Earl Grey by itself at 2-3% is strong enough for me. It's just the tea and orange flavors. Making your own will beat it for flavor, but of course it's more effort.

skocha361

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Wow, thanks guys! VU community is tops!

Maybe I'll post a recipe in a couple months.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
I dont mind the florals.. have played with the black tea a bit..
but i also steep tea bags in tea, specially the sleepy time.. and enjoy that a bit..

to do it, take 1-2 tea bags and place in mug..
i use vg, but pg will work too.. mine just takes longer..
i put my mug full of vg and tea bags into another pot on the stove and let it simmer anywhere from 30min to a hour..
what is left from it, depends on what i used, anywhere from golden to a dark brown.. at about 30 ml..
i use anywhere from 2-8% in my juice..

if you want it stronger, there are a few ways of doing it..
longer steeps, or a mix of vodka or 151 white! rum at 25% with 75% pg/vg along with your tea bags..
placed into a crock pot for overnight on low heat..

skocha361

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks, Blue. That's what I ended up doing last night, with less finesse. Soaked in PG, nuked for 10 seconds, added PG, put in a hot water bath, and strained.

Just now tried it at 5%, and it's spot on! Needs a little sweetener for my taste.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
Thanks, Blue. That's what I ended up doing last night, with less finesse. Soaked in PG, nuked for 10 seconds, added PG, put in a hot water bath, and strained.

Just now tried it at 5%, and it's spot on! Needs a little sweetener for my taste.

keep experimenting, that's the fun of all this! :)

I drink hot tea on occasion and recently tried a b&m's earl grey (buckeye vapors if you know em). Holy mother of crap! I gotta figure out how to make this!

I think I saw HiC say tfa's earl grey is damn close, but I'd also like to try mixing one. Any tea drinkers had a go at this? Or know a good tea, lavender, orange peel, and sweetener to use? I'm a diy noob and would appreciate any advice.

I love Earl Grey its now my winter warmer tea, its one of those teas which flows warmth through your body. there is a compay I have ordered from a few times now which has a good selection, you should checkout their earl grey selection.

VU Sponsors