Become a Patron!

E-cigs not the answer for Australian smokers

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The World Health Organisation has warned that countries with a good record in tobacco control — and yes, that’s us — need to be particularly cautious about the risks of e-cigarettes. And these risks are not only about the gateway to smoking.

Fuckers should be strung up in public square by their genitals.

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Let’s continue to do what works to get Australia’s smoking rate down below 10 per cent in the next five years.
Without any decent alternative like vaping? Good luck with that.

Smokers are paying their tobacco tax.
Some are, but many are not. Australia has the highest cigarette prices in the world due to that tax, but these guys conveniently ignore that Australia also has the huge black market for cigarettes as a direct result of that tax. This makes it a pretty safe bet that smoking is seriously under-reported.

Last edited:

SpectoVia

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU SWAT
Interesting that the article does not identify that the writer, Maurice Swanson, is the Chief Executive at National Heart Foundation Western Australia. Was he expected to say anything positive about vaping? With smoking on the decline, these anti-smoking groups need their next herd of sheep to lord over with their nanny-statism. When the writer states that "Smokers are paying their tobacco tax", it can reliably be inferred that they believe that vapers are not paying their appropriate tax. Any time a politician or a political wonk cites "taxes" in a debate about vaping, rest assured that they are just looking to replace revenue loss in one area (smoking) with a new revenue stream.

https://www.atr.org/new-york-governor-andrew-cuomo-proposes-new-vape-tax-budget-request

https://www.vaporfi.com/blog/public...vape-tax-in-washington-state-begin-this-week/

http://delawarepublic.org/post/vape-stores-wary-newly-proposed-tax

Check the proposed laws in your state and let your legislators know how you feel.
I know everybody can't live in a free state like Tennessee. derp

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wow..that is really impressive that only about 2% of young Australians smoke...you gotta hand it to them they've done a great job of getting rid of smoking.

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Wow..that is really impressive that only about 2% of young Australians smoke...you gotta hand it to them they've done a great job of getting rid of smoking.
I would wager that they (Australia) uses different criteria for their stats on the percentage of "young people who smoke" than we do.

Last edited:

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I would wager that they Australia uses different criteria for their stats on the percentage of "young people who smoke" than we do.
still, they have been very effective, but one wonders ...at what price.

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
still, they have been very effective, but one wonders ...at what price.
I'm not convinced. It's kinda like the stats that show infant mortality being higher in the US than in some less-developed countries; they are misleading at best. Everything depends on how you define the terms. Things like what age group does "young people" encompass, and what exactly constitutes someone who "smokes"?

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm not convinced. It's kinda like the stats that show infant mortality being higher in the US than in some less-developed countries; they are misleading at best. Everything depends on how you define the terms. Things like what age group does "young people" encompass, and what exactly constitutes someone who "smokes"?
all I know is I have a couple of Australian friends, and from what I hear their health care system is a joke as bad as the NHS in Britian.

VU Sponsors