Become a Patron!

Dual Prebuilt Coil 0.14ohm on a single battery regulated mod okay?

Hello!

Newbie Vaper here.

I thought this build was okay but when I went to a vape shop and the guy saw I had a dual coil set up on my rda on a single battery -- he said it's unsafe or something without knowing what the actual build was. So I came here to ask if my build is okay.

I'm working on an IPV-D3S 80w single 18650 mod with safety features like Min atomizer resistance (0.15ohm) using an LG HG2, Radar RDA with dual coils which I bought pre-built (since I'm only new and don't really know yet how to build properly). Here are the specs of the coils:

0.27ohm
Half-Staggered Fused Clapton
Kernel: 26GA*32GA*24GA A1
Wrapped: 32GA A1

set two of these up on my deck and it read as 0.15 or 0.14 ohms then I wick with cotton bacon prime. I realize now that I'm at the minimum resistance level with this dual build. I usually vape this at around 70 watts

Is this safe?
I don't really care much that this drains my battery quickly. I have spares which I alternate using and charging.
If it's not safe, what are my options?

Should I buy pre-built coils which are 0.4oms or higher so the dual coil build would be 0.2+?
Or are dual coils really bad for my mod and I should either get a dual battery mod or get a single coil RDA?
Or could I just do a single coil on this dual coil deck Radar RDA?
I think building my own coil is not an option as of now since I don't have the time yet to learn all of that. Thanks.
All I really care about is safety. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
A trick with batteries is googling the name and Mooch.

Mooch tests cells to find their true amp limits and mah capacity.

So I google "LG HG2 Mooch" and within the first link or two:

upload_2018-12-6_4-34-22.png

So this means that this is a true to rating cell.

I have 10 of these and mostly use them in my regulated mods.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Is this safe?

You are perfectly safe.
As long as the mod doesn't get hot or put out any error codes.

It could wear out your mod faster since you are working it so hard.
It's always better on the chip and the cells if you are vaping a 200 watt mod at 70 watts as opposed to an 80 watt mod at 70 watts.

Last edited:

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Should I buy pre-built coils which are 0.4oms or higher so the dual coil build would be 0.2+?
Or are dual coils really bad for my mod and I should either get a dual battery mod or get a single coil RDA?
Or could I just do a single coil on this dual coil deck Radar RDA?
I think building my own coil is not an option as of now since I don't have the time yet to learn all of that. Thanks.
All I really care about is safety. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Welcome to the Forum by the way:wave:

Dual coils are fine for your mod.

There is an expensive and cheaper method.

The expensive method:

Catch a nice dual battery 150 watt+ mod on an online Xmas deal.
A dual battery mod will give you more power and allow you to use just about any coil that's out there.

Cheaper method: Go with the 0.4ohm (or even 0.5ohm) pre built coils because 0.2ohms to 0.25ohms will give you an excellent vape at around the 70 to 80 watt range that your mod is capable of.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
REGULATED if your battery CDR is higher than the max AMP draw of the mod, you are safe regardless the OHM. Mod won't fire a coil of too low an OHM or pulling too many amps.
Just a NOTE... remember when vaping regulated wattage and ohm are NOT determinative of the other.... .2 ohm in a mech will always be a vape that starts at around 85 watts and runs at 50 or so when you change the battery. regardless the build.... Regulated you use the wattage the composition of the coil calls for.... The More metal, in the coil, the more wattage needed to get it hot, always applies. Amounts and type of wire in the coil being the main factor to heat production and Wattage needs.

Welcome to the Forum by the way:wave:

Dual coils are fine for your mod.

There is an expensive and cheaper method.

The expensive method:

Catch a nice dual battery 150 watt+ mod on an online Xmas deal.
A dual battery mod will give you more power and allow you to use just about any coil that's out there.

Cheaper method: Go with the 0.4ohm (or even 0.5ohm) pre built coils because 0.2ohms to 0.25ohms will give you an excellent vape at around the 70 to 80 watt range that your mod is capable of.

Thank you sooooo much!!! Wow everything you said is exactly what I needed to hear. Yes, I think I will definitely with the higher resistance coils next time.

Just a follow up -- I noticed that the ohm reading on my build switches from time to time. Usually at the start it reads at 0.15 or 0.16 then after I vape a bit, it goes up to 0.20 and sometimes all the way to 0.23 then goes back down again after I let it cool off. Is this normal? I'm assuming it's part of the mod's safety features that it limits the resistance of the coil when it gets a bit too hot.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Thank you sooooo much!!! Wow everything you said is exactly what I needed to hear. Yes, I think I will definitely with the higher resistance coils next time.

Just a follow up -- I noticed that the ohm reading on my build switches from time to time. Usually at the start it reads at 0.15 or 0.16 then after I vape a bit, it goes up to 0.20 and sometimes all the way to 0.23 then goes back down again after I let it cool off. Is this normal? I'm assuming it's part of the mod's safety features that it limits the resistance of the coil when it gets a bit too hot.

Yes, that is normal.
As the wire heats up and cools down the resistance changes.

Mine will go from 0.18 to 0.22 all the time.

VU Sponsors