Become a Patron!

dropped my kangertech subox mini?

i've had my kanger for about a year and a half or so. i'm not entirely sure if that's too long to keep a mod before i should replace it, but as of late, the usb charging port has been kind of loose and makes a sound if i shake it and the connection is a bit weak so i have to position it in a way where it'll charge.
and then last night, i dropped my vape from the window sill onto the air conditioning/heater vent on the carpet. it's about a 2 foot fall?
the vape itself seems fine? but i'm just really worried about it blowing up in my face.
should i be worried at all?? i've had it for a while and i try to take good care of it, but sometimes i just drop it or it'll fall over on my desk.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
If that is the only mod you have, I'd be on a buying tizzy.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I would be pretty worried about charging it through the USB port especially if you are hearing sounds you shouldn't....Do you have a separate charger you can use to charge a battery with?..if no, I would recommend it highly

ChrisL

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I assume the Subox Mini uses a single 18650 battery? Get an extra battery and buy a separate external charger. Swap the battery when low. I wouldn't use the mini usb in your particular device. Might be a good time to upgrade. A ton of reasonably priced options out there. Good luck, and welcome to VU.

I would be pretty worried about charging it through the USB port especially if you are hearing sounds you shouldn't....Do you have a separate charger you can use to charge a battery with?..if no, I would recommend it highly
it's like.. the small metal piece inside is a little loose? i dont know if it should be a problem. it charges fine, i just have to find the "sweet spot"?
is any of this something i should be concerned about??

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
If the USB port is screwed up, it ain't gonna get any better, better buy a new mod. If you got a year + out of that you surely got your monies worth.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Just looked, it does take an 18650. Like mentioned above, buy a couple good batteries and a charger.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
it's like.. the small metal piece inside is a little loose? i dont know if it should be a problem. it charges fine, i just have to find the "sweet spot"?
is any of this something i should be concerned about??
Well, if its making a buzzing sound or some other sound its never made then yes I would be concerned about it..Could be a slight short of sorts and I really wouldn't take a chance with that...This is power going to your battery..if its not right im sure it can do some damage at some point..I would either replace the mod or get a different charger and charge the battery externally.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
You can buy a nice single 18650 charger from Nitecore for about $10.00 and just get a spare battery so you never run out of power when you need it or a spare to use while charging a battery...I wouldn't risk it with a bad USB port.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
i've had my kanger for about a year and a half or so. i'm not entirely sure if that's too long to keep a mod before i should replace it, but as of late, the usb charging port has been kind of loose and makes a sound if i shake it and the connection is a bit weak so i have to position it in a way where it'll charge.
and then last night, i dropped my vape from the window sill onto the air conditioning/heater vent on the carpet. it's about a 2 foot fall?
the vape itself seems fine? but i'm just really worried about it blowing up in my face.
should i be worried at all?? i've had it for a while and i try to take good care of it, but sometimes i just drop it or it'll fall over on my desk.
buy a new mod that thing has lasted longer than any Mod I have owned they are dirty cheap now adays

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thanks! :^) i used to have a segeli(sp?), but it requires 2 batteries and one of them died, so i've switched to using the kanger one i have
Man oh man, buy some batteries, they are cheap as shit....I bought 26 VTC5's yesterday, came out to about $5.50 each.

If the USB port is screwed up, it ain't gonna get any better, better buy a new mod. If you got a year + out of that you surely got your monies worth.
gotcha!
You can buy a nice single 18650 charger from Nitecore for about $10.00 and just get a spare battery so you never run out of power when you need it or a spare to use while charging a battery...I wouldn't risk it with a bad USB port.
buy a new mod that thing has lasted longer than any Mod I have owned they are dirty cheap now adays
what kind of mod would you guys suggest? i have a few coils for the subox mini left, but i also sort of want to try something new??
something with a similar type of feel in my hand and similar features like the usb charger and the led display?

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
also, how often should i be getting a new mod??
i know of friends who have gotten new ones like on a monthly basis?
Some of us are what I like to call "collectors"....I lost count how many mods I have, but I know I couldn't carry-lift them all if they were in a huge basket......:giggle:

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
also, how often should i be getting a new mod??
i know of friends who have gotten new ones like on a monthly basis?
A good mod will last you a good while although it's also smart to have a spare or 2 when things like this happen,

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
gotcha!

what kind of mod would you guys suggest? i have a few coils for the subox mini left, but i also sort of want to try something new??
something with a similar type of feel in my hand and similar features like the usb charger and the led display?
Are you in the USA?

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
lol I drop my mod 3 times a day. I tend to nap while watching tv and vaping. I've even dropped it in the bath tub. TWICE. Dry it out, still works.
The only way it will blow up, is if you damage the battery or the short circuit protection fails, which is why we recommend samsung, sony and lg. They vent but don't blow up. Now I don't know if you mod has a built in battery or takes replaceable batteries. Replaceable you can just buy a decent charger (nitecore is good and fairly inexpensive. xtar is better but more expensive and has features joe avg would never use, and if you wont use them, why pay extra for them, eh?)
As for loose usb.... if it charges it should be fine. If it won't charge.. well..

VU Sponsors