Become a Patron!

Drago Egyptian Cotton Review

KoblinV3

Member For 1 Year
So I posted a thread on rayon not too long ago. I was using cotton again because I wanted to be able to pocket my mod/RDA without being worried about having a wet pocket. I started looking into cotton and the best types. I got some organic Japanese cotton and it worked pretty well. The taste was maybe a little better than my cotton bacon. Not a huge difference though.

I saw this Drago Egyptian cotton suggested by someone who said it was the best tasting cotton they had used with no break in period. Seemed too good to he true so I looked into it more. Turns out there seemed to be something to this claim of no break in period. So after watching a video I saw this guy who really seemed to know how to use it and wick it well I decided I'd try it. It's cheaper than Koh gen do and I think you end up getting a lot more from what I can tell.

So I wicked it and I prepped my mod by having it at a low wattage. I took out my squonk bottle and replaced it with a paper towel. I'm OCD and don't like to have cottony tasting juice seeping into my squonk bottle. I hate having to do this every time I wick. It's just annoying and I don't like having to feel like my squonk mod is in limbo while I get out any cotton taste. Plus I have to drip the whole time which means unless I'm very careful I can blacken my coils since they're hot.

Anyway I got the whole thing setup and took the first hit at 20 watts to really baby it. Tasted perfect. Zero cotton break in flavor. I was like okay well it's gonna happen at some point. Cranked it up 5 watts at a time... Literally zero cotton taste the whole time! I must've ramped it up in less than 40 seconds since every hit was perfect! The flavor on this stuff is noticably better than regular or organic japanese cotton IMO. The flavor is just flat out better and cleaner. It's much more absorpent and has like a natural scottish roll to it where you can get wayyyy more hits before you have to squonk.

This stuff is really something else. I mean even with rayon if it's wicked perfect there's still an ever so slight rayon taste before it's completely broken in. For me means having to do that whole process to not get rayon tasting juice in my squonk bottle which is time consuming and annoying for me.

I just can't believe how that this and Japanese cotton are the same material! I bet I could just run it at full wattage after priming and there would be no taste difference between the first hit and the 30th. I can't recommend this enough.

Here's the video so you can see what it looks like and how to wick it:

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Awesome review. I like it too. But man the ocd with you has got to be a pain. Dripping a squonk to not get cotton taste. Never heard of that one. What did you do with tank coils or did you ever used them.

Sent from my LM-Q610(FGN) using Tapatalk

KoblinV3

Member For 1 Year
Awesome review. I like it too. But man the ocd with you has got to be a pain. Dripping a squonk to not get cotton taste. Never heard of that one. What did you do with tank coils or did you ever used them.

Thanks man. I'll sometimes just fill my squonk bottle with like 2ml and then it's not as much of an endeavor. Mainly just annoying when I don't have time. It can be a pain sometimes but it also helps a lot more than it hurts.

I do RTAs but with those it's the same kind of deal as above. Just fill with a smallish amount of e juice and after it's broken in and you're good.

Haven't used RTAs in a bit though. I wanted a bigger mod for them since my pico 75w only does 22mm. I have goodies in the mail though and am definitely getting back into them. The rebel dna75c and the OBS Crius 2, Kylin Mini, and Augvape Intake are on their way! Went on a bit of a spending spree lol.

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So I posted a thread on rayon not too long ago in the general builders discussion forum. I posted this there too but I didn't know this forum existed and I feel like you guys in particular would be interested in this.

I started using cotton again because I wanted to be able to pocket my mod/RDA without being worried about having a wet pocket. I started looking into cotton and the best types. I got some organic Japanese cotton and it worked pretty well. The taste was maybe a little better than my cotton bacon. Not a huge difference though.

I saw this Drago Egyptian cotton suggested by someone who said it was the best tasting cotton they had used with no break in period. Seemed too good to he true so I looked into it more. Turns out there seemed to be something to this claim of no break in period. So after watching a video I saw this guy who really seemed to know how to use it and wick it well I decided I'd try it. It's cheaper than Koh gen do and I think you end up getting a lot more from what I can tell.

So I wicked it and I prepped my mod by having it at a low wattage. I took out my squonk bottle and replaced it with a paper towel. I'm OCD and don't like to have cottony tasting juice seeping into my squonk bottle. I hate having to do this every time I wick. It's just annoying and I don't like having to feel like my squonk mod is in limbo while I get out any cotton taste. Plus I have to drip the whole time which means unless I'm very careful I can blacken my coils since they're hot.

Anyway I got the whole thing setup and took the first hit at 20 watts to really baby it. Tasted perfect. Zero cotton break in flavor. I was like okay well it's gonna happen at some point. Cranked it up 5 watts at a time... Literally zero cotton taste the whole time! I must've ramped it up in less than 40 seconds since every hit was perfect! The flavor on this stuff is noticably better than regular or organic japanese cotton IMO. The flavor is just flat out better and cleaner. It's much more absorpent and has like a natural scottish roll to it where you can get wayyyy more hits before you have to squonk.

This stuff is really something else. I mean even with rayon if it's wicked perfect there's still an ever so slight rayon taste before it's completely broken in. For me means having to do that whole process to not get rayon tasting juice in my squonk bottle which is time consuming and annoying for me.

I just can't believe that this and Japanese cotton are the same material! I bet I could just run it at full wattage after priming and there would be no taste difference between the first hit and the 30th. I can't recommend this enough.

Here's the video so you can see what it looks like and how to wick it. Also he shows how many hits you can take before it dry burns. It's a lot!

My brother listens to that kind of music.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm interested in trying some of tjis stuff. Thanks for your review.
It's actually pretty good. Smoke and vape.com I think is where I got mine. Letitia9 put me on to it. Learning curve on getting cotton through the coil. Just use less than you think and tweezers

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
I'm interested in trying some of tjis stuff. Thanks for your review.
Messy pita to prep but lasts longer than KGD and it loves juice. Like rayon it does take a touch longer to saturate the wick. I personally wouldn't try it in any coil smaller than 3mm, breaks pretty easy until you get a feel for it.

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm glad you found a wicking material you like KoblinV3 :). I've tried a lot of different wicking materials over the years and have gone back to Japanese cotton for the most part now, with the very occasional use of some Rayon when that seems appropriate for me. The cotton as I use it does not require any break in period. The Rayon sometimes does, but I only use it when I need its benefits and am willing to put up with the minor drawbacks I experience from it.

I think wicking is an art, and there are a lot of wicking materials out there that can be quite good to vape if they are done right.

Vape on my friend :cool:

KoblinV3

Member For 1 Year
Messy pita to prep but lasts longer than KGD and it loves juice. Like rayon it does take a touch longer to saturate the wick. I personally wouldn't try it in any coil smaller than 3mm, breaks pretty easy until you get a feel for it.

I just experienced that earlier. I wicked a 2.5mm and I was like man that guy was right. Way more prone to breaking than typical cotton in that small of a coil. I managed but I had to use a second piece because I wasn't expecting that.

KoblinV3

Member For 1 Year
I'm glad you found a wicking material you like KoblinV3 :). I've tried a lot of different wicking materials over the years and have gone back to Japanese cotton for the most part now, with the very occasional use of some Rayon when that seems appropriate for me. The cotton as I use it does not require any break in period. The Rayon sometimes does, but I only use it when I need its benefits and am willing to put up with the minor drawbacks I experience from it.

I think wicking is an art, and there are a lot of wicking materials out there that can be quite good to vape if they are done right.

Vape on my friend :cool:

Thanks me too. It really is an art. What kind of japanese cotton do you use? I think I might get some KGD just so I can do some scottish wicks. Maybe more useful in builds that are smaller than 3mm in ID than the drago cotton since it's easier for it to break or stretch when the coils are that small.

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Sorry about going off topic but, is this ok to vape on?
41jKAycOccL._AC_SY400_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/ORGANIC-Cotton-Makeup-Puff-Medium/dp/B000TCD51A

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks me too. It really is an art. What kind of japanese cotton do you use? I think I might get some KGD just so I can do some scottish wicks. Maybe more useful in builds that are smaller than 3mm in ID than the drago cotton since it's easier for it to break or stretch when the coils are that small.

I've had great results with KGD. Most of my builds are 3mm ID and I'm loving it in these. I do not roll Scottish wicks, I just make wicks with the cut cotton as it is with a bit of fluffing as needed. I think I stuff a bit more cotton in my coils than most people do, but no idea if that's true. If my coils spit as I vape them, I figure I didn't put enough cotton in them and next time I push more in there.

billythetroll

Member For 3 Years
So I posted a thread on rayon not too long ago. I was using cotton again because I wanted to be able to pocket my mod/RDA without being worried about having a wet pocket. I started looking into cotton and the best types. I got some organic Japanese cotton and it worked pretty well. The taste was maybe a little better than my cotton bacon. Not a huge difference though.

I just can't believe how that this and Japanese cotton are the same material! I bet I could just run it at full wattage after priming and there would be no taste difference between the first hit and the 30th. I can't recommend this enough.

Here's the video so you can see what it looks like and how to wick it:

I've been vaping on cotton man cotton and it's the best I've ever had but to me there isn't enough of it, it's 12$ for a small amount and I vape alot.I was going to get this cotton (the one you're writing about) around the same.time.you wrote this.my question to you is #1 is there a lot of this stuff in the pack?by asking "alot" I'm meaning compared to a pack of cotton bacon and #2 is this stuff just cotton byproducts like Japanese pads or is it straight up made for us?

KoblinV3

Member For 1 Year
I've been vaping on cotton man cotton and it's the best I've ever had but to me there isn't enough of it, it's 12$ for a small amount and I vape alot.I was going to get this cotton (the one you're writing about) around the same.time.you wrote this.my question to you is #1 is there a lot of this stuff in the pack?by asking "alot" I'm meaning compared to a pack of cotton bacon and #2 is this stuff just cotton byproducts like Japanese pads or is it straight up made for us?

This was my favorite cotton at the time I wrote this. The lack of break in really won me over. However the problem with it is the difficulty in working with it. At first it didn't seem so bad.

Then I started realizing just how much you end up wasting by having the cotton break apart too easily and just having it be uneven in thickness throughout the roll. I tried mutation x by cottonman which is very similar and easier to work with, but simply too costly.

Since then I've found my the same non-existent break in with KGD. The KGD wicks more quickly however and is EXTREMELY easy to work with. I love that you save so much cotton since you know exactly how much to cut with the squares too.

In terms of taste they're very close. Even if Drago did taste ever so slightly better I could not justify the cost and frustration of dealing with wicking it.

People say KGD is expensive but for the amount of squares you get it's really not. Even compared to Muji it's about the same cost considering how much more cotton is in the pads as well as the size of them.

My KGD is lasting me a really long time. It's great for RTAs too as it's easier to get the wicks the same thickness (just cut to the same size strips as best you can) and it wicks faster.

I didn't like wicking anything under 3mm with Drago as the cotton will break apart in the coil die to it's dryer lint consistency. Even 3mm wasn't the easiest. So all in all my advice would be KGD. I'd tried other organic Japanese cotton but this stuff is awesome in comparison.

My KGD also holds up to high heat extremely well. It lasts longer than every other cotton I've used with exception of Drago and Rayon. I would say give that a go if you're looking for the best stuff. I'm not sure what you mean about byproducts but make sure you remove the outer layer after you cut your strip of cotton!

You can get a lot of wicks out of one square. I forget exactly what I get out of it but like 5-6. If it's only 5 that's still 300 wicks for $12.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This was my favorite cotton at the time I wrote this. The lack of break in really won me over. However the problem with it is the difficulty in working with it. At first it didn't seem so bad.

Then I started realizing just how much you end up wasting by having the cotton break apart too easily and just having it be uneven in thickness throughout the roll. I tried mutation x by cottonman which is very similar and easier to work with, but simply too costly.

Since then I've found my the same non-existent break in with KGD. The KGD wicks more quickly however and is EXTREMELY easy to work with. I love that you save so much cotton since you know exactly how much to cut with the squares too.

In terms of taste they're very close. Even if Drago did taste ever so slightly better I could not justify the cost and frustration of dealing with wicking it.

People say KGD is expensive but for the amount of squares you get it's really not. Even compared to Muji it's about the same cost considering how much more cotton is in the pads as well as the size of them.

My KGD is lasting me a really long time. It's great for RTAs too as it's easier to get the wicks the same thickness (just cut to the same size strips as best you can) and it wicks faster.

I didn't like wicking anything under 3mm with Drago as the cotton will break apart in the coil die to it's dryer lint consistency. Even 3mm wasn't the easiest. So all in all my advice would be KGD. I'd tried other organic Japanese cotton but this stuff is awesome in comparison.

My KGD also holds up to high heat extremely well. It lasts longer than every other cotton I've used with exception of Drago and Rayon. I would say give that a go if you're looking for the best stuff. I'm not sure what you mean about byproducts but make sure you remove the outer layer after you cut your strip of cotton!

You can get a lot of wicks out of one square. I forget exactly what I get out of it but like 5-6. If it's only 5 that's still 300 wicks for $12.
Dyer lint consistency is exactly right. Great cotton but has a learning curve to use. Was a pain for me

Pastorfuzz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I use Cottonman also when I don't use Rayon.
Best Cotton I've ever used.
Give them a call. They will work out a deal with you for a large order.
I grabbed big bags of Mavaton Select and Carolina Blend from them.
If I remember right, I paid around $160 for 1/2 pound bags a year ago and still have a shitload left.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
I got a bag of this in a bin full of stuff I got from a guy on Craigslist and for me anyway, it works great.

What makes you prefer KGD? Just curious.
KGD is simply easier and faster to work with. The Drago shines for me best when dripping, seems more resistant to gunking at a higher wattage.

KoblinV3

Member For 1 Year
I use Cottonman also when I don't use Rayon.
Best Cotton I've ever used.
Give them a call. They will work out a deal with you for a large order.
I grabbed big bags of Mavaton Select and Carolina Blend from them.
If I remember right, I paid around $160 for 1/2 pound bags a year ago and still have a shitload left.

Yeah if you swing something like this it would probably be worth it. It does feel higher quality than KGD.

I do like KGD for it's fast wicking ability and the fact that it's easier to work with not only because of the squares but because all of the strands are lined up very neatly parallel to each other.

Also it's so much fluffier but that's both a pro and a con. Harder to work with but seems like that would be a good indicator as to the quality of the cotton. Smoothest and softest cotton I've used by far.

VU Sponsors