Become a Patron!

Double Ban = Double Win

Lost

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Woodworking Forum 1
I PM'ed an admin guy to ask if he could wipe my account. Lots of dick-swinging there, and vanity posts, and bitching about people with low post counts. Technically, the forum is meant to offer assistance for less-skilled people, but very few people actually help. Just a lot of posturing and ego-stroking between the veterans.

Woodworking Forum 2
Turns out the same admin guy is a mod at this second forum. And coincidentally, the same day, he sent me an unsolicited PM apologizing for the dick-swinging from this forum. I thanked him for the PM, and acknowledged my surprise that our paths had crossed like this.

Forum 1 Again
He told me he wouldn't wipe my account. So I went in and deleted all my projects and blog posts and most of the photos. He locked me out of my account before I could do any more "damage."

Forum 2 Again
He locked me out of this forum as well. Turns out I'm not the only one who has gone back to delete things. Quiet rebellion.

Thoughts on This Bullshit
VU is set up as a moderated free-for-all. You don't have to be here very long to realize that. BUT... at the same time... people get a ton of help here. No one cares about post count. It's close to bizarre.

Almost every other forum in existence has way more rules and expectations of civility. Dick-swinging stands out a lot more, and actually comes across as cringe-inducing/embarrassing. Looking back, I could have easily accomplished all those projects without joining. Worth a try I guess.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Hey now. She swore me to secrecy about that thing we did. So if you hear anything, it came from her, or one of her friends who joined in.
Well that's no way to pay respects to her memory on the day she was born. :cry:

We need dedicated dick-swinging and vanity post forums, so those that need it could find each other!
Mud Pit. It's very.... educational.

Jim_MDP

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Forum 1 Again
He told me he wouldn't wipe my account. So I went in and deleted all my projects and blog posts and most of the photos. He locked me out of my account before I could do any more "damage."
Forum 2 Again
He locked me out of this forum as well. Turns out I'm not the only one who has gone back to delete things. Quiet rebellion.

It can be disruptive to just delete huge swathes of posts (I am not referring to anything here) especially if the poster was prolific. Mod staff are generally loathe to do it.

And if there was a "rebellion" underway... perhaps he was trying to assess the situation before taking any action, or allowing wholesale deletions.

Not saying you weren't seeing a disaster in the making, just trying to see both sides.
Fora become very personal things for the Founders/Admins.

Lost

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
just trying to see both sides.

Other side is:

The guy is trying to reign in the dick-swinging... apparently on both forums at the same time.
Honestly, deleting content was a dick move on my part, but it wasn't on any threads. Just stuff I posted to show technical progress.

I do feel bad for him. The thing that tipped me over the edge was NOT that he said "No, I won't wipe you off the map." It was the reaction of members who were slamming him for trying to make the place more civil. And he was being really diplomatic about it.

I know mods get shit here too. Seems different here though, for reasons explained above.

Jim_MDP

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sounds like you're looking at all the sides as well... pretty piss-poor rant on your part. :p

As a side note... I'm not a big fan of this software's "eternal editing privilege" feature, or the staff allowing that setting.
I'm used to a few hours, give it a day or two if you must. But the ability to edit your post, or worse the title, indefinitely... is disruptive.

I'm fairly sure that every well written MA includes the fact that once you hit "Post Reply" you've placed any non-copywrited work into the public domain. And that once it hits the forum's servers... it's theirs to do with as they wish.

Like many, I've been a Net user since before the Web was birthed (actually watched it happen from my then DARPA/ARPA access), and the ability to just erase yourself from a public forum is something I'm not used to.

/OldFogey

:D

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Sounds like you're looking at all the sides as well... pretty piss-poor rant on your part. :p

As a side note... I'm not a big fan of this software's "eternal editing privilege" feature, or the staff allowing that setting.
I'm used to a few hours, give it a day or two if you must. But the ability to edit your post, or worse the title, indefinitely... is disruptive.

I'm fairly sure that every well written MA includes the fact that once you hit "Post Reply" you've placed any non-copywrited work into the public domain. And that once it hits the forum's servers... it's theirs to do with as they wish.

Like many, I've been a Net user since before the Web was birthed (actually watched it happen from my then DARPA/ARPA access), and the ability to just erase yourself from a public forum is something I'm not used to.

/OldFogey

We've actually been discussing this.

LMAO @ piss poor rant.

also... are you ever gonna come up with a custom title? Be sure to PM her if/when you do.

Jim_MDP

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It honestly never enters my mind.
If you (or Tyger, who I've heard "wants everyone to have an avatar) feel like finding it... maybe we can look into finishing the "neckbeard" avi someone started in "that" thread. :p

I usually use a US map of my RV travels, but that doesn't work in the round.
Perhaps I could resurrect an old, old Chalker's "Well World" one I used to use. It's a planet.

I really don't think the "GoatFucker" title idea would sit well with most new members.
I'm not a fan of the few new expletive niks either.
Something more subtle in mind? :D

Lost

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
maybe we can look into finishing the "neckbeard" avi

Yeah, it needs some work. The shoulders are still pixillated. Letters might be interesting...

Here's an unused one I was going to post after you came back from your spam ban.
VU Avatar Noob Male Hair Neck Shirt.png

Some level of facial detail can also be accomplished. Here's one from a joke post for BrewBear.
VU Avatar Brewbear Face.png

Jim_MDP

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
LOL... I forgot about the black Tee. :p

It's "de rigeur".

Check out the "How to Comp Vape" thread... a whole litany of disagreeable vaper characteristics.

VU Sponsors