Become a Patron!

Don't let a 18650 drop below 3.7 volts?

I am brand new to vaping. a few weeks ago I bought a iStick PICO and bought a EFEST IMR 18650 2500 mAh 35A. I have been doing a lot of reading and I read that I shouldn't let it drop past 3.7 volts. With my PICO that's at like 3/4 of the battery bar. Am I right to not let it drop past 3.7 volts or can I use it until the low battery warning and then charge it? Does it matter? I am very confused.

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I am brand new to vaping. a few weeks ago I bought a iStick PICO and bought a EFEST IMR 18650 2500 mAh 35A. I have been doing a lot of reading and I read that I shouldn't let it drop past 3.7 volts. With my PICO that's at like 3/4 of the battery bar. Am I right to not let it drop past 3.7 volts or can I use it until the low battery warning and then charge it? Does it matter? I am very confused.
Don't use efest

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yes, it is okay to vape with a battery at 3.7, but the lower you run the batteries down and then charge, it shortens the life expectancy of the cell.

I usually charge when they're at 3.6-3.65.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Welcome aboard too.....:wave:

IMFire3605

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee

There is a lot that goes on, median running charge, or plateau, IMR/INR batteries operate at is 3.7 to 3.9v, 4.2v is highest fresh charge, 2.5 to 2.6 is the absolute lowest you can go, depending on the regulated mod, their chipsets are programmed 3.0 to 3.6v as lowest it will fire depending on the chip, average at about 3.2v with most manufacturers. So running the mod until that cut off does no really detrimental damage to a battery, myself on my mechanicals pull my cells at about 3.5 to 3.7volts due to vapor production decrease, my regulated mods I generally pull them at a range of 1/4 to 1/2 charge. Batteries are rated life times in charge cycles, these are full pull them from 2.5 up to 4.2v, this rating can be 200 to about 300 full charge cycles, charging at about 3.5 to 3.7volts is a half charge cycle, so you could potentially get 350 to 500 half charge cycles out of a battery, thus the 3.7v rating you have read. HTH explain it better for you.

Mojoe1976

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I also use a Pico for my everyday mod. It's a great little device congrats. Now I have to ask if anyone can tell me at what point on the battery indicator I should charge my battery? I have always just switched them out at the low battery warning. Is this a bad practice? It's no big deal for me to change them out sooner since I usually have 4 extra on me.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I also use a Pico for my everyday mod. It's a great little device congrats. Now I have to ask if anyone can tell me at what point on the battery indicator I should charge my battery? I have always just switched them out at the low battery warning. Is this a bad practice? It's no big deal for me to change them out sooner since I usually have 4 extra on me.
you can let it go until it dies. most mods have a battery cut off that is way higher then the battery can handle itself.

Slurp812

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I run them dead also. Getting a few % more life out of a $6 battery is the least of my concerns. I want to make steam!

Don't use efest

Its the only battery I have. Why shouldn't I use Efest. I have seen a bunch of comments that say not to use them but no reason WhyEfest are not good to use. I got the battery from the local vape shop when I bought my Mod. Its my first one and I am still trying to figure everything out. I have been watching Mooch videos on batteries.

There is a lot that goes on, median running charge, or plateau, IMR/INR batteries operate at is 3.7 to 3.9v, 4.2v is highest fresh charge, 2.5 to 2.6 is the absolute lowest you can go, depending on the regulated mod, their chipsets are programmed 3.0 to 3.6v as lowest it will fire depending on the chip, average at about 3.2v with most manufacturers. So running the mod until that cut off does no really detrimental damage to a battery, myself on my mechanicals pull my cells at about 3.5 to 3.7volts due to vapor production decrease, my regulated mods I generally pull them at a range of 1/4 to 1/2 charge. Batteries are rated life times in charge cycles, these are full pull them from 2.5 up to 4.2v, this rating can be 200 to about 300 full charge cycles, charging at about 3.5 to 3.7volts is a half charge cycle, so you could potentially get 350 to 500 half charge cycles out of a battery, thus the 3.7v rating you have read. HTH explain it better for you.

Thank You for that link. That is the kind of info I have been looking for. I have spent hours reading tons of garbage and that thread answered a ton of my questions. Thanks alot

Mojoe1976

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Its the only battery I have. Why shouldn't I use Efest. I have seen a bunch of comments that say not to use them but no reason WhyEfest are not good to use. I got the battery from the local vape shop when I bought my Mod. Its my first one and I am still trying to figure everything out. I have been watching Mooch videos on batteries.
Efest doesn't manufacture their own batteries. They buy seconds or rejects from other companies like Samsung and rewrap them. They are rejected for a reason and they could be dangerous. It should be illegal.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Because eFest re-wraps seconds from the actual battery manufactures (Sony, Samsung, LG, Panasonic) and grossly and maliciously inflates their actual capabilities. Example is those so called 35a batteries are actually 10a batteries

Bottom line, only buy Batteries on Mooch's recommended battery list . And only buy from reputable sources not Amazon or eBay due to fakes being sold there, pretty rampant actually. Good sources are IMR Batteries and Liion Wholesale

Dreamject

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
No. Usually mod let you discharge to 3.0, 3.1, 3.2, 3.3 volt. Absolutely zero is 2.5v, but in less than 3v battery gives less Amp, as I know.
Li-ion battery has 2 «period» of charge: before 50% it charges more fast, then slower and slower.
So, if you want to charge fast and give your battery more life you should not charge it full. For example, my Lenovo laptop it battery-life optimized mod limit battery charge to 60%.
I use it in my home, and an autonomy is not important for me, so, i chosen 60% limit mod.
In vape an autonomy is more important, batteries are cheap and easy to change, so, don't worry and just use it, IMHO :) (but you can get 0-50% more quickly, than 50%-100%, if use enough input Amps)

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Because eFest re-wraps seconds from the actual battery manufactures (Sony, Samsung, LG, Panasonic) and grossly and maliciously inflates their actual capabilities. Example is those so called 35a batteries are actually 10a batteries

Bottom line, only buy Batteries on Mooch's recommended battery list . And only buy from reputable sources not Amazon or eBay due to fakes being sold there, pretty rampant actually. Good sources are IMR Batteries and Liion Wholesale
Also illumn.com

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
In vape an autonomy is more important, batteries are cheap and easy to change, so, don't worry and just use it, IMHO :) (but you can get 0-50% more quickly, than 50%-100%, if use enough input Amps)

Advice coming from one who insists on using recycled 5 amp batteries from a laptop?

No!

Best advice is listen to us and get rid of those of those crap eFest batteries!

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
No. Usually mod let you discharge to 3.0, 3.1, 3.2, 3.3 volt. Absolutely zero is 2.5v, but in less than 3v battery gives less Amp, as I know.
Li-ion battery has 2 «period» of charge: before 50% it charges more fast, then slower and slower.
So, if you want to charge fast and give your battery more life you should not charge it full. For example, my Lenovo laptop it battery-life optimized mod limit battery charge to 60%.
I use it in my home, and an autonomy is not important for me, so, i chosen 60% limit mod.
Dude that's an explosion waiting to happen it's your face but don't tell others to do something crazy just cause you are

caihlen

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

What the fuck does this even mean?

Dreamject

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What the fuck does this even mean?
May be my dab English)
As I know li-ion charge is not linear, for example https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_station
they take about 20 minutes to charge to 50%, 40 minutes to charge to 80%, and 75 minutes to 100%.
Full discharge may be «bad» too, but keeping your battery full-charged is not good. Not only Tesla, every li-ion battery works so. I just wanted to say that it's not necessary to wait when battery is full-charged, even if you care about it

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
May be my dab English)
As I know li-ion charge is not linear, for example https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_station

Full discharge may be «bad» too, but keeping your battery full-charged is not good. Not only Tesla, every li-ion battery works so.
But that doesn't explain why u are ok using such a low amp battery in a device that takes high amps

Dreamject

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
But that doesn't explain why u are ok using such a low amp battery in a device that takes high amps
It can takes high Amps, I choose «low amps vaping» on «low amps battery».
Even I or somebody will try to set 120 W with these batteries, device just momentally say fuck you, «weak battery». Battery will stay cold.

Last edited:

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
It can takes high Amps, I choose «low amps vaping» on «low amps battery».
Even I or somebody will try to set 120 W with these batteries, device just momentally say fuck you, «weak battery». Battery will stay cold.
Good luck with that lol hope I don't see u on the news

Dreamject

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Good luck with that lol hope I don't see u on the news
Usually I can meet with something like this http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/alberta-father-calls-for-ban-on-e-cigarettes-1.3423099
It's a happy face of mech mod, Wotofo Phantom, user.
ty-greer.jpg

Dreamject

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What's wrong)? Did I started to speak about laptop batteries there? Why did you show typical mechmod guy? I don't get u.
wile-e-coyote.jpg

Jimi D

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I drain my batteries 3.2 to 3.4 volts. I have some thats over 2 years old too.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I drain my batteries 3.2 to 3.4 volts. I have some thats over 2 years old too.
Which is fine, just don't go below 3v, where things get dangerous is 2.5V.

Me, I typically pop them in the Charger around 3.6v, lowest I've let them go was down to 3.2v twice. One was on my Nookie V3 the other on my Pilak Panther, those mod's the voltage drop is so low you have to watch your batteries very close for I still got respectable hits from them.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
As difficult as it is we really need to watch out for the new Vapers coming in. The consequences of someone thinking it would be safe to use repurposed Laptop batteries ...................................... Oh how the media whores would have a field day ya know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wile-e-coyote.jpg
Pretty sure dude is just trolling.

Jimi D

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Which is fine, just don't go below 3v, where things get dangerous is 2.5V.

Me, I typically pop them in the Charger around 3.6v, lowest I've let them go was down to 3.2v twice. One was on my Nookie V3 the other on my Pilak Panther, those mod's the voltage drop is so low you have to watch your batteries very close for I still got respectable hits from them.
I've ran some down to 1 volt before. Those Samsung 25R's takes an ass kicking. Lol

frigusoris

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I can safely say that all batteries from any non major manufacturer (eg, efest, ect) are re-wraps that didn't pass first inspection. Are they garbage cells just waiting to blow up? Not at all. Those cells are fine for LOW DRAW applications like flashlights, power banks and the like.

For HIGH DRAW devices, like vaporizers, you SHOULD be using quality, proven hi amp draw cells. No, you don't HAVE to, but understand the risks of asking more of a battery than it can handle. PLEASE people, for the love of yourselves if not vaping in general, purchase quality cells. Even brick and mortar shops will only charge you 15-20 dollars a battery. Less than a bottle of juice...

If you want to make use of old laptop batteries and cheapo cells, turn them into a power bank to charge your quality cells. Anyone looking to use laptop cells safely is more than welcome to PM me and I can help you out.

Please people, Safety First!

VU Sponsors