Become a Patron!

Does this resistance seem correct?

Zyed

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ni200 24 AWG 4.0mm diameter 6 wraps (5 excluding half wrap [or is it 4 ?])

anywho, It's clocking in at .05 ohms on my ohm meter. It was .08 ohms but after moving the coil around a bit more with the jig it dropped to .05 ohms? Nothing is touching

after untightening and retightening the screws its still at .05 ohms now. I found this odd. The legs are bent inside where the screws are however, is this okay/normal for installing coils?

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Seem like you are using a mechanical mod but don't have the first clue wtf you are doing. You tell us!
What batteries are you using? What is the amp draw on your build. What does the battery stress test chart say about firing at that resistance? How long was it test fired for and how long were the rests between firing? How long does it take the battery to heat to 100C at that resistance?
Best help I can offer.. toss the mech into a drawer, buy a regulated mod before you become a youtube statistic.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Ni200 24 AWG 4.0mm diameter 6 wraps (5 excluding half wrap [or is it 4 ?])

anywho, It's clocking in at .05 ohms on my ohm meter. It was .08 ohms but after moving the coil around a bit more with the jig it dropped to .05 ohms? Nothing is touching

after untightening and retightening the screws its still at .05 ohms now. I found this odd. The legs are bent inside where the screws are however, is this okay/normal for installing coils?

If you are using NI200 wire which is nickel that is only to be used with temperature control then the ohms are normally low and the fluctuation in resistance is how the chip can measure the temperature and changes there of.

So if you are using NI200 wire in temp control mode then this minor change in ohms isn't a bad thing at all.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Seem like you are using a mechanical mod but don't have the first clue wtf you are doing. You tell us!
What batteries are you using? What is the amp draw on your build. What does the battery stress test chart say about firing at that resistance? How long was it test fired for and how long were the rests between firing? How long does it take the battery to heat to 100C at that resistance?
Best help I can offer.. toss the mech into a drawer, buy a regulated mod before you become a youtube statistic.

IF it's being used in TC that is. :eek:

Zyed

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

I'm using ijoy capo 100w. The amps range from around 15-20 amps which is safe for the 21700 the fires were around 2 seconds and only about 3 seconds between firing.

Zyed

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
IF it's being used in TC that is. :eek:
Yes I am using it in TC mode and the ohm reader measures it .05 ohms my mod measures .06 although the ohm meter might just be less precise than the mod and rounding it? I'm hitting it at 25W 430F max and its hitting smooth now

Zyed

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I am only using one coil in a dual coil tank although i blocked the holes where u feed the cotton to the reservoir with cotton so it wouldn't leak and that seemed to solve it. I don't see an issue with running one coil in this as the ohms are still read correctly and it hits just fine, right?

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Yes, the ohms will fluctuate a small amount between a mod and a tester because the resistance is so low it's harder for the devices to read.
Also since the ohms fluxuate then if the actual ohms are like 0.055 then it may bounce back and forth between ohms.
When firing it the ohms can (and should) change a small amount.
I don't see 0.03 in either direction as being a big deal since that how TC works.
The nickel's ohms change causing the chip to be able to read the temp.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I am only using one coil in a dual coil tank although i blocked the holes where u feed the cotton to the reservoir with cotton so it wouldn't leak and that seemed to solve it. I don't see an issue with running one coil in this as the ohms are still read correctly and it hits just fine, right?

No, running a single coil isn't a problem.
If that's how you like it then keep it that way.
It isn't any more or less safe in single or dual coil mode.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I'm using ijoy capo 100w. The amps range from around 15-20 amps which is safe for the 21700 the fires were around 2 seconds and only about 3 seconds between firing.
There we go.. I don't take chances with guessing what you might be using.. I assume the worst possible scenario.. Which would be a mech mod.
Since the mod allows that build in TC mode, you are perfectly fine. Mod also protects against shorts. TBH.. i never had much use for TC. I prefer the control I get from VW.

Zyed

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
There we go.. I don't take chances with guessing what you might be using.. I assume the worst possible scenario.. Which would be a mech mod.
Since the mod allows that build in TC mode, you are perfectly fine. Mod also protects against shorts. TBH.. i never had much use for TC. I prefer the control I get from VW.

I can understand that.

I am absolutely in love with the consistency of hits TC has to offer.

With wattage mode I hit it too rapidly a lot of times and my hits are not only inconsistent, but sometimes I even get dry hits or worst case scenario burnt hits! I fire my mod a lot when I do and having a maximum temperature allows me not to wait between hits or guess if it's been long enough for a good hit.

edit- on a side note I can't get the throat hit I like with TC, but it's consistency has me overlooking that factor

One last thing, is running a single coil in a dual coil tank okay to do as long as I can prevent leaking?
edit2- The Troll by motofo

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
One last thing, is running a single coil in a dual coil tank okay to do as long as I can prevent leaking?

Sure, it's ok to run a single in a dual coil RDA/RTA
As long as you do like your doing you'll be fine :)

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I can understand that.

I am absolutely in love with the consistency of hits TC has to offer.

With wattage mode I hit it too rapidly a lot of times and my hits are not only inconsistent, but sometimes I even get dry hits or worst case scenario burnt hits! I fire my mod a lot when I do and having a maximum temperature allows me not to wait between hits or guess if it's been long enough for a good hit.

edit- on a side note I can't get the throat hit I like with TC, but it's consistency has me overlooking that factor

Raise your PG% for throat hit. It is harsher than VG. PG = throat hit VG = smooth vape.

VU Sponsors