Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
wait.
if current going in must equal current going out, how does a coil heat.
it must use something.
also, if the battery gets back all the current, why doesn't it stay charged forever?

Honestly a lot is explained in those links, and explained far better than I can put in writing.
In a nutshell, it’s The awesome power of physics. Bear in mind, voltage is pressure, Watts is power, amperage is current.
Wattage is voltage squared divided by resistance

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Ok, but the point of this thread is (or should be) to responsibly and realistically put the mind of our lady friend here at ease. Of course no vendor can guarantee with airtight certainty that NO sub par battery will EVER pass through their operation.

However, the one's she's using are models, and from a source that any veteran would without hesitation pronounce to be as SAFE as THEY would require for the type of vaping she's using them for. I didn't say they were the very best optimal choice, dialed specifically in for her requirements. I said they are SAFE, by Mooch's definition.

That's all she's worried about right now and it's not too much for her to hope to go to sleep tonight knowing that she can enjoy her vaping without any undue fear to the contrary.

She can learn more as she goes, while enjoying what she has. If she were to hand me her batteries and gear, I would use it all day every day with no more fear than I would have using my own. Who's with me?

I'm not correcting or yelling at you or anybody, but it does seem that this central point is being largely missed :)
That was also my point... to responsibly and realistically put the mind of the OP at ease by letting her know the fact that "a source that is known to sell only authentic quality batteries" is for the fairies. :p

Responsibly and realistically also by Mooch's definition, lithium ion rechargeable batteries are NOT safe. The CDR number was not picked because it is safe... rather, it was picked because it just seems a reasonable number to start to recommend to new vapers, and, to tell a person that it is safe is the exact opposite of both realism and responsibility. This has got jack nothing to do with undue fear. This is about knowing the risks, understanding the risks, and accepting the risks... in that particular order. But yeah, 45 watts on a regulated mod with 2 batteries equals 22.5 watts per battery so, because both the Sony VTC6 and the Samsung 30Q are reasonably safe up to 45 watts per battery, up to only 22.5 watts per battery these will be more than reasonably safe, but certainly not "safe".

susieqz

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
how do you know the 30q is good up to 45 watts?
what is the equation?
yeah, i know mooch said 30q is good to 45 watts, but how was that number arrived at?

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
how do you know the 30q is good up to 45 watts?
what is the equation?
yeah, i know mooch said 30q is good to 45 watts, but how was that number arrived at?
There is no formula we can do for working out the suitability of a battery. That's where Mooch comes in. He runs tests on the batteries based upon heat and amp draw. I know I will never be able to do that the way he does. So once we know what we need, he tells us which batteries meet those needs. And he does so with as good reliability as we could ever pray for.

Last edited:

susieqz

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
yeah, i watched episode 3 again this morn.
i saw what he said.
i was hoping for a formula.
i suspect a 10 amp battery would be fine for me, but
i haven't proved that.
i understand there are 10 amp batteries with a higher mah rating, so they could be superior for low watt vaping.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
with a single cell mod you can run as low as .42 ohms with a 10 amp cell.
With 2 cells down to .21 or a bit above.
Have to account for about a 10% efficiency loss in regulated mods in their voltage conversion circuitry.

so .45 or so for a cell and .around .25 for the minimum with 2 cells in the mod.

That is of course working the batteries around their maximum rating which I prefer not to do.

I used this site for those calculations using 4.2 volts as a highest current scenario.
http://www.ohmslawcalculator.com/ohms-law-calculator

susieqz

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
so, using a 10 amp 3500 mah battery would work for . 25 ohm or .5ohm coils at 40 watts n 20 watts respectively would work?
an extra 500 mah makes thhe 10 amp battery superior in my 2 battery mods..

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
so, using a 10 amp 3500 mah battery would work for . 25 ohm or .5ohm coils at 40 watts n 20 watts respectively would work?
an extra 500 mah makes thhe 10 amp battery superior in my 2 battery mods..
It should work but pushing a 2500 mah battery close to it's maximum output will likely yield less runtime than using a 20 amp 3000 mah cell.
Those MAH ratings are likely at 1 amp or so of current the harder you push a li cell the less capacity it has.

imho a 20 amp 3000 mah cell yields the best results for vaping at moderate wattages ie 20-40W than a 3500 mah cell unless vaping at VERY low wattages ie 10W or below.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
yeah, i watched episode 3 again this morn.
i saw what he said.
i was hoping for a formula.
i suspect a 10 amp battery would be fine for me, but
i haven't proved that.
i understand there are 10 amp batteries with a higher mah rating, so they could be superior for low watt vaping.
There is a formula. In fact it's the same formula that Mooch explained in the vid, but different... 15A × 3.2V × 0.9375 = 45W.
(A = amps, V = volts, W = watts.)
15A is the CDR of the Samsung 30Q (same as that of the Sony VTC6).
3.2V is the low voltage cut-off of most regulated mods.
0.9375 is assuming the efficiency of the regulated mod in question equals 93.75% efficiency, which is fairly optimistic because 90% efficiency is more common, but then again Mooch also said that he thinks the CDR of 15A is fairly conservative for the Samsung 30Q (and for the Sony VTC6) so, instead of saying up to 43.5W (i.e., 15A × 3.2V × 0.9) he simply says up 45W, as these batteries can indeed handle up to 45W each. I.e., the optimism cancels out the conservativeness here so it's incredibly realistic. It's also incredibly responsible because 45W is easier to remember than 43.5W, and, safety numbers only help the safety if people can easily remember them of course.

As for the ultra high capacity (10A) batteries, with 2 of them in a regulated mod it would be possible to vape at up to 40W, and, this would be within the recommended battery safety limit/guideline. But due to the enormous voltage sag that these 10 amp batteries have, with 2 of them at 40W their performance (specifically, the vaping time you'd get from them) would be worse, not better, when compared to using 2× Samsung 30Q or using 2× Sony VTC6. Around 35W or below (depending on how you vape) is where this story changes, as that's where these 10A batteries start to become the better choice.

Last edited:

susieqz

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
on the other thread, i ran the ohms law equations which say that 10 amps is fine, but
they don't include stuff like voltage sag, so what good is ohms law?
i won't be using 10 amp battteries, but i'm disappointed.
i worked hard to understand ohms law n i just wasted my time.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
on the other thread, i ran the ohms law equations which say that 10 amps is fine, but
Ohm's law is for calculating battery safety. Whereas the performance you'll get (in pure terms of the vaping time that they can offer before you need to recharge them) from the battery you select for vaping on a regulated mod is a separate story that involves, among several other things, the voltage sag of this same battery.

gsmit1

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No you didn't waste your time :)

Do you have an ohm reader?

VU Sponsors