Become a Patron!

Do You Peel Off The Outer Layers Of Your Cotton Squares?

Do You Peel Off The Outer Layers Of Your Cotton Squares?

• Yes

Votes: 23 60.5%
  • No

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • What's A Cotton Square?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

CrazyChef

Custom Hand Crafted Coils - PureCoils.com
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
If so, why? Or why not?

Discobob

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I do sometimes not sure why though, it seems to make it a bit more uniform in the roundness and is prettier....not sure on the difference if any but depends on how OCD im getting on my wicking.

nabibrian

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes, I peel the outer layer off.
For me it gives more of a cottony feel and seems to soak up and hold the juice better IMO.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I peel off one side fold it onto these side that's not peeled and then roll it.
Doing that seems to give it some stability, and it makes it fluffy like a fluffy pillow :)

bondo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I rarely use pad cotton anymore but when I did I always made sure to "comb" the ends out after trimming.
I noticed that pad cotton tends to compress on the ends when trimmed and caused more dry hits.

Vaperjim

Not here for the Drama!
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes. Because I saw some guy on YouTube do it a while back and he spoke with authority. Now I'm scared if I don't do the peel he'll get me when I'm sleeping. That, and it seems the thing to do.:)
Pretty much why I do it too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Yes. Because I saw some guy on YouTube do it
That's why I put up this poll, because I saw it on YouTube also and was curious how many others do it.

I had to rewick this morning (previous wick was a tad too tight). So I figured I'd try it. I honestly can't really tell much of a difference, though. I'm using the Kanger RBA in my subtank mini, and there has to be at least a little "tension" on the juice holes or they'll leak (found that out the hard way...). So it might be a moot point for the Kanger.

Maybe I'll notice a difference on one of my RDAs.

Last edited:

Squonk

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hey Chef. I feel the main reason to do the peel is to remove the compressed outer edges. I have a Subtank plus, with that and my few other rtas I always fluff my cotton well with a piece of leftover Kanthal. Fluffed cotton really holds the juice and in my opinion helps to alleviate leaking. Lots of fluffy cotton is my motto. I have the original style RTA base in my Subtank which has the juice channels at the bottom of the base, so I make sure the cotton touches the base and then I move the cotton, after wetting ,to open up the channels.

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've tried it both ways and can't say I noticed much of a difference, if any. What it's come down to for me is, if I think I cut too wide of a strip of cotton, I take the outside layer off lol :D

Cheers,
Steve

Last edited:

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Oops - I think I should have posted this in the General Discussion forum. I was in the DIY section and posted here without checking first.
@Whiskey can you move me please? Thank you.

MercuryVaper

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I do, but for no good reasons. I saved the outer shells up and rolled them and wick with them just to see if I can tell any difference, Nope, not to me. Same taste, great wicking. Fluffy innards just feel good when wicking.:rolleyes:

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I always do. I sometimes wonder why I do it. I think it's just a habit I picked up early on that never really did me wrong. But I have had problems with wicking when I got lazy and didn't peel before cutting. I've always done it that way, so I'm geared towards always doing it that way, and with that comes certain expectations, which may in fact, be completely imagined, along with the perceived results. I've never given it any thought before.

I think it really all comes down to your wicking technique. Personally, I think the outer, compressed layers of wick do me no good, so I discard them, but perhaps that only works better for me because I learned to wick with those outer layers gone. It's possible that the only thing that really changes significantly is how one estimates the appropriate amount to cut.

Sometimes, I think it's an OCD thing. In my mind, they shouldn't be there and they just have to come off. I feel anxious leaving them on. I also bite my fingernails and chew on plastic bottle cap rings impulsively, though.

I have a buddy who never peels his squares, but he seems to get similar results, even when we build the exact same coils, though our techniques for fluffing, inserting, and positioning wicks are also very different.

Last edited:

MrGrimR

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I used, but the reality atleast in my world was that it made the wick to thin and not as efficient. To me the outer layer is the thickest and holds more liquid than the inner layers and thus would be better. Even if the outer layer didn't wick as well, the inner layers who do the wick work and then transfer the liquid to the outer layer as the vaping process starts.

Manimal3497

Manimalizer
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
At first I didnt peel them but then I seen Scuba wick an atty with it and he peeled them so then I peeled them. Now I am debating weather or not to peel them or not. lol.

CrazyChef

VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I tried it a couple of times. I'm sticking with the outer layers attached.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I only peel a layer as a full thickness sheet is too thick for even my 3mm i.d. coils..im using koh jen do cotton...i just work out the flats after a cut.

Lefty

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Depends entirely on what I'm wicking. If I want a fully fluffed wick I'll peel it. If I want it to hold it's shape I don't. In the Rose V2 I peel it and set the center aside and just use the woven layers to form a wick that is easily separated into two at the ends and that can easily be used to fit into and fill the four juice feeds without fouling the threads. Wicks great by the way. Never a flood or dry hit. On an Erlkönigin I trim the rest off at the curve and run only the top woven layer down the channels. Ditto on the leaks and dry hits.

Last edited:

Squonk

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Depends entirely on what I'm wicking. If I want a fully fluffed wick I'll peel it. If I want it to hold it's shape I don't. In the Rose V2 I peel it and set the center aside and just use the woven layers to form a wick that is easily separated into two at the ends and that can easily be used to fit into and fill the four juice feeds without fouling the threads. Wicks great by the way. Never a flood or dry hit. On an Erlkönigin I trim the rest off at the curve and run only the top woven layer down the channels. Ditto on the leaks and dry hits.
I have a ERL clone. It can be a PITA to get the wicking right, so I'm gonna try this. Thanks for the tip.

Analias

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Yup. I'm a pad peeler. I too believe everything I see on YouTube. Gospel truth! I also fluff the ends after cutting. Found that I can use the peels to slip into the sides of Nautilus and Atlantis coil rebuids, that tiny space between the inner and outer pieces of the coil housing. If and when I can ever be bothered to rebuild Aspire coils again.

VU Sponsors