Become a Patron!

Do you need a license to sell E-liquid that contains nicotine?

DjSharperimage

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

I tried looking it up on the Pennsylvania Legislature website.
But the only laws that they list is about tobacco products,
which states that it's illegal to sell tobacco products to minors,
but there is nothing on there about selling e-lquids that contain nicotine.
I'm not trying to sell e-liquids to minors, I was wondering if I needed some kind of license to sell e-liquids to adults.

itsmenotyou

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

I tried looking it up on the Pennsylvania Legislature website.
But the only laws that they list is about tobacco products,
which states that it's illegal to sell tobacco products to minors,
but there is nothing on there about selling e-lquids that contain nicotine.
I'm not trying to sell e-liquids to minors, I was wondering if I needed some kind of license to sell e-liquids to adults.
The best thing to do would be talk to your local police cheif/rep and ask them just so your safe. They should know local and state laws. If you find out anything good. Let us know please.

sent from a dumb operated smartphone

DjSharperimage

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The best thing to do would be talk to your local police cheif/rep and ask them just so your safe. They should know local and state laws. If you find out anything good. Let us know please.

I'll try calling them tomorrow.
I'll keep you guys updated.

SailCat

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hey DJ - 'Saw your other post with the question about PG. You might consider getting more information on the bases and experimenting with myriad flavorings before looking into licensing. You may be getting ahead of yourself in a market that is already over-served. Many new entries are competing on price alone in order to elbow in.

There was a post here recently which demonstrated a gross misconception of the basic properties of PG and VG and this person is actually going into the juice business with what appears to be cheap, single-flavor offerings. Needless to say, the future for this sort of enterprise ain't bright.

There are many brilliant minds and talented mixologists here (present poster aside) who will share every aspect of creating terrific e-liquids. What you do with that information is up to you, but it's important to really know your stuff. The vaping community to whom one is marketing is becoming more enlightened and better educated every day. Thanks to venues such as this, we all communicate with one another.

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
To add on to @SailCat's post, the FDA deeming regulations, that are coming soon, will come down hardest on juice makers. You're looking at mandatory lab testing that runs thousands of dollars on every SKU in your inventory just to submit for FDA approval with no guarantee of approval. Unless you plan on closing up shop when the FDA shit hits the fan or you have the bucks, you need to look at this very closely.

The FDA is why I started DIY. I foresee commercial juice costing $50 or more for 30 ml and limited flavors. The bonus is I get tasty juice for pennies per ml. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

Chrispdx

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
As for regulations on vaping. I agree, a business attorney is a good place to start. But why not ask a local shop owner? If they are reputable they should be willing to give you basic advice.

Beyond that there are many entities that can play a hand in regulations for your state city and county. One place to check is your local food inspection group. Another is the the arm of liquor and tobacco. And the list can go on and on depending and where and how you are selling.

They other problem is that you need to stay on top of your local regulations since they are changing.

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
As far as what others have said, they have given SOILD information.

While I do NOT know Pennsylvania laws, my bet is you will need a business license, a sales tax license, and a tobacco license, in order to legally sell juice. You will have almost ZERO customers, if you don't sell juice with nic.

In the coming months, you will see changes coming that is going to make "home brew" type people put themselves at serious risks of running afoul of the law, if they are selling one drop of juice improperly.

itsmenotyou

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
As far as what others have said, they have given SOILD information.

While I do NOT know Pennsylvania laws, my bet is you will need a business license, a sales tax license, and a tobacco license, in order to legally sell juice. You will have almost ZERO customers, if you don't sell juice with nic.

In the coming months, you will see changes coming that is going to make "home brew" type people put themselves at serious risks of running afoul of the law, if they are selling one drop of juice improperly.
Check out indiana laws on juice making (for distribution) and you will understand why I pucker up whenever someone ask if they can buy some from me.

I'll break it down.
Must have
:Constant surveillance on your lab & storage area.
: keep a sample of anything over a liter for 3 years
:allow any "offical" to come rape your lab.
The list goes on lol

freemind

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Check out indiana laws on juice making (for distribution) and you will understand why I pucker up whenever someone ask if they can buy some from me.

I'll break it down.
Must have
:Constant surveillance on your lab & storage area.
: keep a sample of anything over a liter for 3 years
:allow any "offical" to come rape your lab.
The list goes on lol

Yeah, I know. I live in Indiana.
And your list is missing some things too. Like:
The "official" is the local sheriff. You have to have non porous lab surfaces (stainless steel), a locking door on the lab, no one with a felony may mix ANY juice, and you have to keep security footage for a LONG period of time. You will also need to lot code all your juice.

LOTS of requirement that will make it hard for stores to keep up with compliance.

itsmenotyou

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah, I know. I live in Indiana.
And your list is missing some things too. Like:
The "official" is the local sheriff. You have to have non porous lab surfaces (stainless steel), a locking door on the lab, no one with a felony may mix ANY juice, and you have to keep security footage for a LONG period of time. You will also need to lot code all your juice.

LOTS of requirement that will make it hard for stores to keep up with compliance.
Woohoo another Hoosier lol
and yep a few "local" (within 1 hour)shops have already stopped selling house blends because they cant mix here in indiana. Some of them mix in ky then being them to their shops just to wiggle in a loophole.

Now i will let the thread go back to what it was lmao

itsmenotyou

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
After July, they can't legally import them, without compliance.
Thanks for the heads up man. I'll let the shop owners know. Don't want them getting into trouble and bringing a bad name to vaping!

VU Sponsors