Become a Patron!

Do you encourage others?

This is something I am curious about. Do you find yourself encouraging others to make the move to vaping?

I find myself doing it a bit, usually by letting workmates try my vape - also at home with my sons mates, most of whom smoke. I have a couple of Vision spinners that i am more than happy to put a tank of nice juice on and let them at it.

pescadore

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have tried to get my son's friends to quit smoking and start vaping. I have loaned out a few devices but haven't had a lot of luck getting them to quit.

CgS_Drone

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I haven't encouraged others to switch to vaping, heck I still smoke cigs myself and vape. I figure if they want to take up vaping they know I do it and they will ask. However I do work with a guy that is trying to get away from carto's and me and another guy working with us are helping him find his gear and showing him how to make his own coils.

The other guy that we work with actually makes juice for a few of the local vape stores so he sells to him at very low cost. I DIY myself and will be taking him in some of mine this week as well. I have told the guy once he gets his gear I will give him a spool of kanthal and enough cotton to last him a long time. I made him up a coil jig and showed him how to wrap micro coils already.

Last edited:

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I don't actively preach it; but, whenever asked I do give as much info as possible. I even get people their first little starter setup if they express serious interest. -nothing expensive mind you, usually it'll cost me no more than 20$, and a small bottle of my own DIY. Afterwards I will send them to a shop. But I have been relatively successful in getting a few people off the smokes. I've found that the more you stay quiet and let interested parties approach you with it, the more successful they will be.

Cote-2006

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
I never encourage. I worked at a huge building and vaped in the smoking area. I would get questions and I would answer if I knew the answer. I also carried a kit of coil wire, ohm meter and different wicks and would rewick for my coworkers free of charge if their device allowed it. Whether I knew them or not (most I didn't) I also kept labelled juices at my desk for anyone to fill their tanks in case they ran out (free). But, I never actively encouraged it. When asked if I recommend it I tell them it worked for me but everyone is different. Not everyone can take to it. If you do buy an e-cig buy a descent economic starter kit. Try sample juices at the vape store and pick two or three in small bottles. Don't soak a lot of money in it. Many of the older smokers at work are vaping but, were worried because they still smoked. They smoked a lot less but still light up. I tell them there is no law that you can do only one. If you have cut down on the cigarettes and are happy then that works for you. But, there are some people at work that have this brow beating mentality and preach that vaping is the only way. Take every opportunity to jump into a conversation to promote vaping. I know their heart is in the right place but they were asking for tolerance while showing intolerance. Then there were a couple who dripped and were cloud chasers. Our smoking shelter is enclosed but open at the ends. I was so tired of their behaviour of making vapors look bad that I had to speak up. I told them it is rude and gave people a bad perception of vapors. I have an excellent rapport with the smokers and vapors in our building. And the two rude ones had nothing to say to me until one of their coils burnt out. It seems Mr Know-It-All doesn't know how to rebuild a coil. Got some respect that day (yes I recoiled and rewicked his tank but I said little to him). They are now good 'courteous' coworkers of mine. But, I am a funny little thing I guess. Whether we like it or not we vapors are ambassadors. Let's do it right as most of us do. Even if it means telling the rude and imposing vapors that, "Hey mate, the tide is against us and your behaviour gives them ammunition." But, I will say one thing, the vaping community in general is incredible.A family. Yes we disagree on issues but we stick together and are always willing to give a hand. Maximum respect to you guys my vaping family.

Last edited:

kimber

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I don't actively recruit but am very happy to explain how successful I've been with it. I've converted a few and I love that!! My most recent convert, a girl at work, tells me every day how amazed she is that she hasn't smoked in a month and thanks me daily as well. And I agree about this family,,, this is a great place to hang out and I've "met" several people that I consider genuine friends.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I'm an ambassador only. Although I do try to encourage my daughter. But she never listens, she's a nurse and has bought into the lies.

On the flip side, she allows me to vape in her smoke free home :)

I spend a lot of time answering questions that others have. And generally try to encourage them to find a B&M that will allow them to sample juices. before diving in and buying a setup. If they can't find a juice, they won't vape long. So it would be a waste of money to buy the setup first. IMHO

katykatkat

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I had been vaping for about a week when I showed it to a good friend. That day, we went to a local B & M and got her set up. It's been almost 3 months since either of us have smoked a cigarette. Encourage away!

Lost

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Have not, will not. Proselytizing aversion. I don't even like talking about vaping if someone asks. Not sure why... my self introspection hasn't taken me to an answer.

So this post isn't so grossly intellectual... I pooped today.

robot zombie

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If asked about it by a smoker, I try to briefly describe why I'm glad I made the switch, what it's done for me, and how it's blossomed into a hobby that I greatly enjoy. I try to make it a point not to be insistent about how much better it is than smoking. When someone asks you what you like about vaping, I think it can easily be very condescending to prattle on about how superior what you're doing is to what they're doing.

I find people tend to ask more questions when I frame it as a preference. I.e., "This is what I like and here's why I like it." rather than "This is absolutely better and here's why." I think it tends to make the conversation more casual and comfortable for them. It's less alienating... ...for both parties, really.

And it's not dishonest for me to say that it is a preference.

I do tend to tell people that if they're ever interested in giving it a shot, I can help them get started for very little money. I always have more than enough vape crap for two people, just to have the peace of mind that comes with knowing that I won't be running out of anything unexpectedly or being left out in the cold when a piece of gear fails on me. If it's someone I know I'll be talking to again, then I will lend out a suitable setup to them.

It's kind of cool to watch someone progressively fall into that groove, just like I did when I went through the stages. I've wound up letting people keep gear I've lent them just because of how taken they've become with it. It's mindblowing, just how fast some people can become fully-fledged vapers and start pursuing the habit on their own.

I just tend to be against proselytizing because I don't like being preached at, myself. I don't want people to get the impression that vapers are overbearing and unapproachable. I think it's disrespectful and rather presumptuous to assume that people can't or won't make their own choices. I really despise people who pity those that neither need nor desire pity. At the end of the day, the only way they're going to pick up vaping is by their own choosing! It's their decision to make, not mine.

I will never be the one to initiate the serious conversation about vaping. Instead, I tend to make it clear that we can have that conversation if they genuinely want to. It's pointless otherwise. We'd both just be wasting our time.

One exception is at work. People have to answer to me there and I use that to my advantage a bit. I'm pretty lenient, but they have to ask me before they can step out for a smoke. The amount of time it takes to smoke a cig is a petty trifle to me, but on principle I can't have my crew always doing as they please with the time they're given there without my approval - it just gets out of hand with some folks.

However, I tell them that if they want to bring a vape setup along, then they're free to vape discreetly while they work - no permission needed. There's no policy against that. At this point, half of the smokers in the building vape when they're on the clock. Not much of a stride, but it's a start, you know?

Last edited:

decisively_unsure

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I got encouraged by friends of mine who now all vape. Off the back of that a colleague did the same. It is a no brainer as it is even nicer than smoking and that is saying something!

msrfrog

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I have converted three smokers so far!

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
At times I feel like the shady drug dealer in those old school warning films from the 60-80's.
Esp. when running around with my mech mod.

I see way more vapers than smokers, and the smokers I do see do not look like they would be recptive nor able to afford a decent vaping rig.

scalewiz

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I had a good laugh at the shop today. I brought 2 mod/devices to work. Had to leave, but forgot and left one behind. It was a Chariot RTA, 24 ga SS coil at 0.4 ohms, 26650 in a Nemesis. When I got back, one of my cowokers' eyes were rather big and he told me of the story of him trying my mod for 'just a little puff'. Apparently he choked his head off and was totally amazed that that thing had such power!

Without me saying hardly anything, he proceeded to tell me that he needed to get him one of those things. His other friends had also told him of the need to not buy the little things, but to get a good, decent powered one from the start.

By just vaping, and not pressuring, it may just take a little time. Our example is the most genuine teacher.

VU Sponsors