Become a Patron!

Do I even need a Mechanical Mod

wizzard

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
With all the new devices Hana clones, Vaporshark DNA 3o and 40, Sigelei 20W and 30 watt variable wattage mods do I even need to look at mechanicals any more. These are regulated devices that provide protection and some go as low as .3 ohms so why even look at Mech mods any more? Are mech mods on there way out and why do I need one? I have an Atlantis and a Hana clone that works with the Atlantis. I have a few dripping atomizers at .50 to 1.00 ohm that works on my Hana clone as well. So what will a mech mod do that my Hana or the ones listed above not do? I am getting the Kanger sub tank and plan on using the 1.2 ohm coils so that will work with just about any regulated device. . I don't see a need for mech mod. Am I missing something?

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Everyone's taste in vape gear is different, I think for me the first type you mentioned are now the types that I myself use. Preferably the Istick and Shark on a daily basis. Having owned just about every type of mod that have come out in the last 4 years. The thing I have noticed is there are some that like the Mechs for the fiddle factor,Collectible value, and for sure the ascetics value. In a land so versatile and ever changing as vape gear can be, It is nice to see all the choices out there:)

Last edited:

Fictitious Character

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Things come in fads and phases. The current hot ticket vape gear is box mods a lot wants them in both regulated and unregulated form. I would not sell all your mech tubes unless you just are not into them at all. They will more than likely become in fashion again but fashion is only a part of it all as you want what you feel gives you the best satisfying vaping experience. and what feels the most comfortable for you as an individual.

I can say right now the selling of some authentic tube mechs takes awhile and the value has dropped a little but I believe that they may come back into mainstream style and for those that are really into them they will never go out of style. A few months ago ppl would be lining up to buy an authentic Paps and today they are a harder sell.

Now as for do you need them? Well that seems to just be personal preference. For me I am mostly a regulated guy I like the ease of them and like their form. The mechs are straight forward less stuff to break no boards to fry but regular voltage drop.

Just my two cents though as I have been contemplating this same thought for a little bit lately. But one thing is for sure and that is that there is something out there for everyone with no shortage of options atm.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
the latest regulated mods don't stay in favour for long. it's like a continual chase for the next VV/VW. And all my mechanicals, both clones and authentics, still work since the day i bought them. when i go low ohms on a mech and it heats up, i don't feel that worry i get with an regulated device.

when i look at the disaster pics on the forums it's nearly always with regulated that disasters occur. i mostly use regs'. my rdas are 1 -1.5ohms. but yeah there's def' a place for mechs. they still be working after the zombie apocalypse

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
i had a vv/vw one time.. but now i have forgotten how to even use one..
i will not trade or sell any of my mechs..
like Hobby.. the ones that mess up are the regulated..
gesh i think i am showing my vaping age here, Hobby :p

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i had a vv/vw one time.. but now i have forgotten how to even use one..
i will not trade or sell any of my mechs..
like Hobby.. the ones that mess up are the regulated..
gesh i think i am showing my vaping age here, Hobby :p
maybe lol

hey next on my list is a mini nemesis 14000 size. they're sweet.

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
i have an eyebox, a nemi 18650, my caravela, a mutant 26650 and my electric box lmao
think i want to wait.. next one i get will be dressy, like steampunk..

rdsok

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My main vape is always going to be a regulated mod of some type. Of the good ones that are out there... there are no real issues. The ones having problems are the newer chinese chips that haven't been proven yet and then sometimes it's just a minor issue. My Vaporshark DNA 30 with the Evolv DNA chip in it is flawless. The A-Mod ZNA 30 I have is just fine with the only niggly thing being it has to be woke up before you click and vape. The Smok BT50 is much the same as the A-Mod and needs woke up but other than that it's my still my second favorite over the VS for using it.

Mech mods are, as mentioned... mostly reliable with very little to be able to go wrong with them. Clean the threads and contacts often and you'll seldom have other problems. The only real problem you may have if any, will be likely to be the switch failing IF that style has a poorly designed one. Of course the real downside is the constantly dropping voltage as the batteries capacity is used up. So if you put an Atlantis with a 0.5Ω it starts out at a nice 35w of power but drops quickly as the 8.4a of power that takes to run... sucks the capacity out of the battery. To help avoid the quick drop... you need dual 18650's or 26650 batteries.

No matter if you go regulated or mech... there is also the inclination that we all seem to like to want the next best style that comes out. I think everyone should have one good one of each type... A solid mech with a good switch just because it can always work... and a good solid regulated mod because it's of consistent output that you can enjoy all through the battery charge.

Celtic Fog

Tir Na Nog
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I started with a regulated box mod, I was not interested in mech mods one bit....then my box mod started acting up due to the chip inside getting all assy. So, went to the local BnM looking for a replacement, they did not have a box mod that was in my price range and I needed to vape. So I made the plunge and got a Vanilla clone with a Plume Veil RDA...needless to say...I am now a mechy. I love the fact that there is no wiring that can go bad. I also love the fact that I can fiddle with them and extend and or upgrade its performance. Now I have 3 mechanical mods on my shelf and my wife has 1...we are looking for more already. I love them. I also have customized the appearance of most of them, by the end of the week, they will all be customized and one of a kind. The form/shape of them has been much more comfortable to me in the long run as well. My wife liked the box mods and ego's until she tried one of my mechs, now she detests the shape of the box mods. If I get a box mod in the future, it will be an unregulated one, less to go wrong. If you get box mods, you can paint them and sticker them up witch is cool, but you can't do things like this to them.
20141227_090915 (614x1024).jpg 20141121_202031.jpg Mishi's MOD.jpg

rdsok

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The right answer of which mod to choose... is to get the one that works for how you want to vape. There will always be mech and regulated mods and depending on your own habits, preferences and etc... there is no one right answer. I use a regulated because of the consistency of the vape I get. I keep a mech on standby because it will just work ( as long as the threads and contacts are kept clean ).

Mech mods became popular for two reasons... the reliability of no electronics to fail and the ability to have a higher output than the regulated mods had at one time. The later reason has changed now that powerful regulated mods exist. The reliability side of the discussion still favors the mechs but not by much IF you get a quality device.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Back in the day of blue foam and tea bags...(GET YOUR MIND OUT OF THE GUTTER!) mechs were just coming online so to speak. They offered HOURS of vaping time instead of minutes, some more ease of use and more bang for the buck so to speak.
While not everyone will enjoy or use a mech a journey through the land of fiddling with ones device is not needed. Even if going the box mod, regulated device or mech box a solid understanding of battery safety and amps is still a good solid base to have.

heinz.abednego

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Just got a white nemesis
It's still in the box it came in
Don't really care for it except that it looks nice tats it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4King

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Mech mod type for me, i like the way it look, can built coil, so aside from safety features of the box. They kinda alike for me. Since I don't go below 0.5 ohm. I don't worry alots either.
Got the slojo,nemmy, 2 zombie mod(all clone)

I wish i can afford an authentic JA victoria......it is soooooooooooooooo sexy.

I look in this section cuz i do want a cheap box mod to try and have, but still love and prefer mech mod

Last edited:

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I look in this section cuz i do want a cheap box mod to try and have, but still love and prefer mech mod
Yeah. Absolutely. Even though I've gotten very lazy these past few months since getting some mini nautilus' and reg' modboxes I still love my mechs. I first got hooked proper when I bought an authentic black hawk panzer.

I'm going to take the advice of @rdsok and give it a good clean which I still haven't yet got round to at all. This is what I like about mechs and rebuildables. I just like playing with them. @Celtic Fog you hit the nail on the head. You can do lots of things with mechs. And I only suffer with a bad battery drop off if I'm sub ohming. I can run a kayfun at 1.2 on an 18650 mech and wander into the city and vape for the day(ish). My fav mech is my brass sentinel m16.

I'm still glad for the explosion in regulated devices we're having as they're good for newbies. I feel I can steer them towards something that's going to live up to all my boasting about how good vaping is.

driver379

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Back in the day of blue foam and tea bags...(GET YOUR MIND OUT OF THE GUTTER!) mechs were just coming online so to speak. They offered HOURS of vaping time instead of minutes, some more ease of use and more bang for the buck so to speak.
While not everyone will enjoy or use a mech a journey through the land of fiddling with ones device is not needed. Even if going the box mod, regulated device or mech box a solid understanding of battery safety and amps is still a good solid base to have.
Blue foam and tea bags? I think I may have made the right choice waiting to quit smoking till I did.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I have some of everything....to suit my mood and the type of juice I've selected. Some juices are tank juices....some dripping...some only "work" in a gennie. Some are suited to a cooler vape....some like to be vaped warm to hot.......some like the abuse of sub-ohm and high power.

driver379

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I started with mechs I think my Overdose is my favorite I don't see it ever leaving. Right now I'm really liking this Vaporshark Rdna40.

driver379

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have some of everything....to suit my mood and the type of juice I've selected. Some juices are tank juices....some dripping...some only "work" in a gennie. Some are suited to a cooler vape....some like to be vaped warm to hot.......some like the abuse of sub-ohm and high power.
Yeah me too! I traded cigarette addiction for vape gear addiction!

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I actually failed to make a point just now. My ONLY issue with most regulated mods is that they insist on telling me how to build my atties. 99% of my builds at .17 ohms.....all of my gennie builds are .7 ohms....my SquapeR builds are normally around .5.

driver379

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I actually failed to make a point just now. My ONLY issue with most regulated mods is that they insist on telling me how to build my atties. 99% of my builds at .17 ohms.....all of my gennie builds are .7 ohms....my SquapeR builds are normally around .5.
This dna 40 is great. The nickel build I've got in this Lemo right now is .11 and just killin it!

Scuzzlebutt

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I think everyone has pretty well nailed it, it all just comes down to personal preference; the aesthetics, performance, voltage, resistance, etc. I know that when I first started vaping the regulated box mods, or regulated mods in general, were nothing compared to what they are now, and because of that I started on mech mods. I have a copper Fuhattan, and a black Fuhattan Apollo which I just got and I love it! I do have to say that I'm getting ready to purchase a box mod, and no, I'm not jumping on any kind of band wagon. I just know that for me I really like the battery life on a lot of these new devices coming out, as well as the ability to vape at a higher wattage that I just can't achieve with my mech mods. I'm definitely going to hold on to my mechs though!

Scuzzlebutt

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
This dna 40 is great. The nickel build I've got in this Lemo right now is .11 and just killin it!
I am just loving this Lemo that I recently got. At the moment I am just running it on a mech mod but I can't wait to throw this on a regulated device. Seems like you can really dial it in to the right amount of wattage for the resistance, and then vape there consistently. <===Another reason I'm going from a mech mod to a regulated box mod. Looking at getting the Sigelei 150w.

driver379

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I just got into the regulated to check out all the hype on the temp control. I have to say I really like it on all my tanks but the drippers still get the mech!

vaperature

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
One thing I have to say for my measly mech mod is that I love the fact that it doesn't have a ten second power cut off like my mvp2 or my c-twist does. I'm not familiar with all the more advance regulated mods so don't know if they all still have that but it's rather irritating to have your vape cut off just when your coils are starting to really heat up. Maybe someone can let me know if all these more advanced regulated mods have a cut off like that or not.

driver379

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
One thing I have to say for my measly mech mod is that I love the fact that it doesn't have a ten second power cut off like my mvp2 or my c-twist does. I'm not familiar with all the more advance regulated mods so don't know if they all still have that but it's rather irritating to have your vape cut off just when your coils are starting to really heat up. Maybe someone can let me know if all these more advanced regulated mods have a cut off like that or not.
The Vaporshark doesn't but I can't speak to the others.

Slicknic

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Balancing needs and wants is a big challenge in life. (Well, it is for me anyway)
90% of the vape gear I have, I don't need. Maybe I'm not balancing my needs/wants correctly. :rolleyes:

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok. All the mech talk got me to get out my sentinel and vape my nautilus on it. It's at 1.8ohms. It was an effort (obviously) so I gave up. Threw it back on my T6 and whoosh! Vapeaway. Everything has its place hey.

driver379

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ok. All the mech talk got me to get out my sentinel and vape my nautilus on it. It's at 1.8ohms. It was an effort (obviously) so I gave up. Threw it back on my T6 and whoosh! Vapeaway. Everything has its place hey.
LOL I've been eyeing that overdose with the plume veil on it sitting over there maybe about time for a round or two.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
The only purpose my two tube mods have......platforms for my two gennies. With my normal build on rda's and Orchids.....I am vaping at an average of 30w on my mechs anyway...which is about the same average on regs....so it all comes out the same.

driver379

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The only purpose my two tube mods have......platforms for my two gennies. With my normal build on rda's and Orchids.....I am vaping at an average of 30w on my mechs anyway...which is about the same average on regs....so it all comes out the same.
Never went ahead an got the genny. I've hadem in the shopping cart before but they always seem to get booted out. I use my orchid on the mechs too I can't seem to get a nickel build with enough ohms in it for the 40.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Never went ahead an got the genny. I've hadem in the shopping cart before but they always seem to get booted out. I use my orchid on the mechs too I can't seem to get a nickel build with enough ohms in it for the 40.
My sweet spot with Orchids seems to be .17ohms with the coils set VERY HIGH.

driver379

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
My sweet spot with Orchids seems to be .17ohms with the coils set VERY HIGH.
I keep coming up about .06 with the nickel in there. There's just not enough resistance in it to make it happen dual coil.

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I keep coming up about .06 with the nickel in there. There's just not enough resistance in it to make it happen dual coil.
I have nil experience with nickel wire. I do not fancy how hot it gets.....same issue with G-Plat "Haywire"....sometimes it can just be TOO much.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Gennies take practice. I don't vision many new vapers will get them in the future. Vendors were really pushing the gennies when I started vaping so that's what I began with. No ohms checker lol. The thing used to flare up. It was a scary experience. Someone gave me this in the summer. I hadn't built a gen style for over a year I didn't get much success from this either (as in wicking). Maybe I did. Maybe I'm just spoiled by today's easy stuff and very forgetful.

JQyaPK5.jpg

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Gennies take practice. I don't vision many new vapers will get them in the future. Vendors were really pushing the gennies when I started vaping so that's what I began with. No ohms checker lol. The thing used to flare up. It was a scary experience. Someone gave me this in the summer. I hadn't built a gen style for over a year I didn't get much success from this either (as in wicking). Maybe I did. Maybe I'm just spoiled by today's easy stuff and very forgetful.

JQyaPK5.jpg
I still get a wee tear in my eye when I see a U-Wick....miss the AGA-T days indeed!

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I was always wanted regulated aside from the ego pen style batteries and finally got one in the form of an MVP 20 Watt but i also have a Nemesis Clone now to see if its something i would like..I can certainly see where some like them for the "fiddling" aspect as i had a lot of fun setting mine up and pressing that fire button for the first time..Definitely a different experience from a regulated box mod or an ego battery...Pick yourself up a mod just to say you have one and try it out.

.So many good clones on the market if cost is a concern or you just want to try out the experience without spending alot of money as ive done..I paid $16.19 for my clone and im pretty impressed with it but needs a fire button upgrade which will not be an expensive upgrade to have a good performing mod...Just remember not to go cheap on a battery and learn any risks that can be involved for your safety.
20150112_203849.jpg

Last edited:

VU Sponsors