Become a Patron!

DNA40 chip Hana Modz VS ? chip SMOK XPro M80

Woodsman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have both the DNA40 based mod, and the mystery chip (XPro) mod. My tank is a SMOK Gimlet Clouds (0.2 ohm coil, Ni200). I also have a Hana Clone, which likely has a clone of the DNA40 chip inside it. Here is what I have observed (all devices set at 430 degrees and 25 watts):
DNA40 Mod: Coil heats rapidly then shifts to Temp Protect mode, hovers around 6-7 watts.
DNA40 clone Mod: Likewise, but shifts to TP mode even faster.
XPro: Coil heats slowly, takes forever to shift into Temp Protect mode, but, in the end, supplies a much more powerful vape than the DNA40 mod (especially the clone mod). Conclusion:
I would choose the XPro first ($60).
Authentic DNA40 second (Hana Modz, Vapor Shark, Vapor Flask, a couple others..all $200 or more).
Clone DNA40 last (Hana, V Shark, V Flask..all about $60)
I think the SMOK XPro M80 is a "sleeper" that is much better than anyone realizes, and eventually will be even better as it is upgraded via its USB connection).
NOTE about photo: this is the XPro with my Micro GDC 1.8 ohm tank (running at 6 watts, no temp control, 70VG/30PG juice). At present I have my Gimlet Clouds Tank (GCT) connected to the XPro...smok in alaska.jpg

Woodsman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
And here is the SMOK XPro with a Kanger Mega Aerotank (steel tube option, 1.8 ohm coil, running at 6 watts with 70VG/30PG juice)...smok kanger.jpg smok kanger.jpg smok kanger.jpg

Tom_Pulliam

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Interesting perspective I haven't heard a lot of positive feedback about the SMOK Xpro M80

Woodsman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just read the thread about the XPro (in this section) and realize I have been premature to give the XPro five stars...or have I? SMOK has fixed the temp control problem (but I didn't know that before I gave it kudos). SMOK is an oddball company, but I believe they have a noble intent. And I enjoy their version of Chenglish, which I call "Smokenese"

vapadam

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
No!
Smok have taken the piss with their latest products, using us as beta testers.
I own the x pro m80(updated) and the gimlet tank, the gimlet tank coil heads are rubbish they hit temp protection instantly on vs rdna40.
These nickel coils suffer the same problems as the kanger ni200 heads, the coil does not make a solid connection with coil head its just held on by the rubber grommet and pin.
The m80 temp control does not work.
They rushed both these products out without testing them.
Will never buy smok again.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The M80 temp control does not work indeed. Check out this video, 21 minutes in:

Fictitious Character

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No!
I own the x pro m80(updated) and the gimlet tank, the gimlet tank coil heads are rubbish they hit temp protection instantly on vs rdna40.
These nickel coils suffer the same problems as the kanger ni200 heads, the coil does not make a solid connection with coil head its just held on by the rubber grommet and pin.
Yep so many paying beta testers. Not just with Smok, Evolv, Sig, p4y, ect, ect, ect.

Woodsman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I still like my XPro but won't bother with the upgrade from v0004 to v0005 since it still doesn't pass the dry burn test. Guess I'll wait for upgrade to 0006 or even 0007...or whenever it passes the dry burn test. In the meantime, I still use it on temp control with a gimlet cloud tank and get a decent vape. HOWEVER, since I do own an authentic Hana Modz V4 (plus two HM clones which work fine so far) AND I have 100 feet of 28 guage Ni200 wire AND I have organic cotton AND I have two RTAs and one RDA, it is past time for me to build my first deck!!

Woodsman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No!
Thanks...I thought it was the fault of the DNA40 mod but you say it is the GCT coil...well, I already blew my budget so I'll work with what I have. I'm thinking the Kanger Subtank with OCC Ni200 coils would have been a better choice...not sure if you were referring to the Kanger Ni200 coils that fit the Aerotank...As for SMOK, I decided to go with them because I like their mission statement, but might shift back to Kanger later on.

Woodsman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There may yet be hope for the XPro...the video review shows the XPro failed the dry burn, while the DNA40 passed the test. However, at 21:30 on the video, the reviewer tends to believe that the upgraded (from v0004 to v0005) XPro has at least a partial capacity for temperature control. I have the v0004 version which I will not update to v0005. I will wait for v0006 or later before I update. While I wait, I will vape in temperature control mode with my SMOK Gimlet Clouds Tank (GCT). If you don't hear from me again, please send contributions to my memorial fund c/o vapingunderground. Thanks!!

Woodsman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
On a side note, I looked up and found out that Kangertech (founded in 2007), Smoktech (founded in 2010), and Aspire (founded in 2013), are all located in Shenzhen (Shen the Hen) southern China near Hong Kong. Google maps street view of the Smoktech area (Langshan 2nd Road, Shenzhen China) show parks and people recreating...not just a foul industrial area. Like I said, "on a side note"...
And on another side note, did you know that a Chinese man of my age invented the personal vaporizer (http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/10/01/china-e-cigarette-inventor-fights-for-financial-rewards/)? So, I feel okay about the Chinese cashing in on his invention (meaning if my hard-earned money goes to China, that's only fair...but only for this product).

Woodsman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have both the DNA40 based mod, and the mystery chip (XPro) mod. My tank is a SMOK Gimlet Clouds (0.2 ohm coil, Ni200). I also have a Hana Clone, which likely has a clone of the DNA40 chip inside it. Here is what I have observed (all devices set at 430 degrees and 25 watts):
DNA40 Mod: Coil heats rapidly then shifts to Temp Protect mode, hovers around 6-7 watts.
DNA40 clone Mod: Likewise, but shifts to TP mode even faster.
XPro: Coil heats slowly, takes forever to shift into Temp Protect mode, but, in the end, supplies a much more powerful vape than the DNA40 mod (especially the clone mod). Conclusion:
I would choose the XPro first ($60).
Authentic DNA40 second (Hana Modz, Vapor Shark, Vapor Flask, a couple others..all $200 or more).
Clone DNA40 last (Hana, V Shark, V Flask..all about $60)
I think the SMOK XPro M80 is a "sleeper" that is much better than anyone realizes, and eventually will be even better as it is upgraded via its USB connection).
NOTE about photo: this is the XPro with my Micro GDC 1.8 ohm tank (running at 6 watts, no temp control, 70VG/30PG juice). At present I have my Gimlet Clouds Tank (GCT) connected to the XPro...View attachment 16750
CHANGE OF OPINION: Okay, I've heard the complaints about the XProM80, and I will admit that it is not as user-friendly as a DNA40 mod. Some users have crashed their M80s. I haven't crashed mine...yet. So, if it were me, and I had less than $100 to spend on a temp control mod today, would I choose the M80 for about $60, or would I choose a DNA40 clone? A month ago I bought two Hana Modz V3 Pack clones from 3FVape for $62 each. I have no complaints about them (the clone DNA40 seems to work just as well as the real DNA40 in my real Hana Modz). 3FVape is sold out of the Hana, but I see the same unit at http://vapingcheap.com/hana-modz-dna40-clone/ for a few dollars less. 3FVape has clone Vapor Flasks and Vapor Sharks for about $80 (ships fast, receive in a couple weeks). But if I bought the M80 I could have it in a week. Plus, I will need VCT5 or ? batteries for the not-M80 choices. And, the single 18650 in the V3 Pack clone needs to be charged more often. And then there's the question of the atomizer setup. Will I buy Ni200 and make my own coils for my RDA or RTA? Or will I buy Vaporshark coils for my Nautilus or Aerotank? Will I buy a Subtank with Ni200 coils, or will I buy a Smok GCT with Ni200 coils? I can't decide. Maybe you can. Maybe I would wait awhile......................................

Panther1911

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks for your review on the Smok GCT, i was planning on picking one up.......key word....WAS

Woodsman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for your review on the Smok GCT, i was planning on picking one up.......key word....WAS
The GCT is all I have tried. Maybe the Kanger Subtank is better. I don't know. Maybe the Vaporshark coils are better. All I know is what I have tried, and for me, the GCT works. I can chuck clouds with it.

Panther1911

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The GCT is all I have tried. Maybe the Kanger Subtank is better. I don't know. Maybe the Vaporshark coils are better. All I know is what I have tried, and for me, the GCT works. I can chuck clouds with it.

i have some ni200 OCC coils for my subtank mini, i have been using those with some success

Woodsman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i have some ni200 OCC coils for my subtank mini, i have been using those with some success
Probably not perfect, either. But I doubt that the GCT is better. Over time, cleaning and reusing prebuilt coils creates issues. Seems the only real consistent path to a good vape is the RDA, which I will build as soon as I find the box with my organic cotton!

Panther1911

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
i spoke too soon, had lots of trouble with it last night

Woodsman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i spoke too soon, had lots of trouble with it last night

Bummer about your M80...
Mine is still truckin, luckily. I've been using my Hana and Hana clones with my GCT, but right now I am using the M80 while my Hanas are charging. I press the M80 fire button, blow gently into the drip tip until I see some mist, then I do a direct lung hit until the display dims (that means the temp has been reached and the power has shut off). My M80 is set at 420 degrees and 22 watts. By the time the temp is reached and the power shuts off, I've reached the end of my draw. Now, if I wanted to chuck clouds, I would be disappointed.
So...the M80 works. Is it perfect? No.

Panther1911

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Bummer about your M80...
Mine is still truckin, luckily. I've been using my Hana and Hana clones with my GCT, but right now I am using the M80 while my Hanas are charging. I press the M80 fire button, blow gently into the drip tip until I see some mist, then I do a direct lung hit until the display dims (that means the temp has been reached and the power has shut off). My M80 is set at 420 degrees and 22 watts. By the time the temp is reached and the power shuts off, I've reached the end of my draw. Now, if I wanted to chuck clouds, I would be disappointed.
So...the M80 works. Is it perfect? No.

mine is a vapor shark rDNA40

i am considering just asking for a refund and getting a nice mech mod lol

VU Sponsors