Become a Patron!

DNA 40 repair advice

wizzard

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Received this as a Christmas gift. Tried to screw on an atty and it starts then stops. Tried many different atomizers and clearos.. Looks like the 510 connector is defective. So my question is where can I get a connector and how hard are they to change out? Is there someone that does this type of repair that is a VU member? Or a shop that does this type of repair that it can be sent to? It was a gift and it was purchased from China so I need to try to get a new connector installed. Any help would be appreciated.
Steve

Attachments

• connector problem 2.jpeg
    connector problem 2.jpeg
    40.2 KB · Views: 47
  • connector.jpeg
    connector.jpeg
    31.4 KB · Views: 44
  • connector1.jpeg
    connector1.jpeg
    56.9 KB · Views: 46

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Bought directly from China? Vendors will usually handle it since it's so soon after buying it but when you deal direct with China it could be a nightmare .

There should be info on how to fix it yourself on the web, this is not hard at all.

wizzard

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have looked around the web and can find any info on how to remove and replace. Also looked for this type of replacement but can't locate either. Hoping someone here can lead me in the right direction or hook me up with a sh0p that can replace it. I am not real good at this type of thing.

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I would send a PM to Scuba Matt , he knows a lot about this stuff and knows good links for it .

Dan DePippo

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
You might want to try posting in the mod general discussion forum. I'm sure someone will be glad to help

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Sure thing pal , if he doesn't know i will find the info somewhere , just have to run out now.

wizzard

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks I started this same post in the mod general discussion forum so moderators please remove this post in this forum.

CgS_Drone

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Unless I am missing something it doesn't look anything more than the standard press in 510 connector. It would require removing the glue around the base and removing the soldier from existing 510 unless there is enough wire that you could cut it off and put in a new 510 connector.

You can youtube video's on people making up box mods the connector would be the same as they use.

Go to 14 minutes 20 seconds

As far as the 510 connector, they are cheap. I picked some up off of ebay.

510.jpg

Last edited:

CgS_Drone

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
If you didn't want to have to soldier to the shell on the connector you can buy them with wire already soldiered on and make a soldier splice further down.

pre-soldiered 510 these have 18ga wire already on them, if you take the time and do a search on there you can find all kinds of them already soldiered, some with heavier ga wire. I cannot see what your wire ga is on yours already.

wizzard

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just bought the presoldiered with the 18 ga wire. It looks like my wire is 18 ga. The only problem may be the 510 connector on my mod looks to have a lip that keeps it sitting on the hole in the device. Where the one you linked to above does not have that lip. . I just bought it so we will see. I hope it is tight enough to fit the hole and not fall through. Thanks for the help.
Steve

CgS_Drone

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
If you look close the one's I link to actually have the lip, it's just hard to see where they are silver. They will be the same as the one in your picture.

wizzard

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Great that is the one I bought and I just cut the wires inside and will just splice them back together. I should be able to do that with an crimp type electrical connector so should be pretty easy.

CgS_Drone

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I honestly believe you would be better off putting heat shrink tubing on then slide it out of the way and soldering the joint then sliding the shrink tubing over the joint and heating it so it isolates the connection but the crimp may work fine for you. Which ever way you go make sure you isolate that connection well so there are no shorts.

Last edited:

VH fan

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks for helping with this CgS Drone . I was hoping the OP could get this taken care of somehow.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Don't use another brass, fixed pin connector. Remove old connector. Get a m10x1.0 tap. Get a fatdaddyvapes 510 with 22mm washer. Thread hole and screw in fdv connector. Solder positive pin and install in bottom of connector. Now you have a stainless steel connector with a spring loaded pin. Don't replace junk with junk.

CgS_Drone

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Don't replace junk with junk.

The one he is getting is actually stainless steel, looking at his pic he has very limited space so I kept it to that. Yes he doesn't have a floating pin this way but he doesn't have to make room for the fdv. Tapping out the hole could drop a shaving in there so unless he is willing to remove the board he is taking a chance. I kept it as simple for him as I could and still get him up and going with a better 510 connector than he has already.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You don't have to make room for it. It goes where the old connector does. And I see a chip cradle so moving it and/or cleaning up shavings should be easy. A fdv connector is the way to go.

CgS_Drone

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Either way he will be better off and get his device up and running.:)

Wizzard let us know how it turns out.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
One of the things I love about the hana style box is the fact that it almost seems made to accept a fdv 510. Since the stock connector is shot, now is the time to do it right and install the last connector that box will ever need. The integral landing pad along with the sprung pin will provide a more consistent electrical connection as well as much better physical support for the atty. At this point there is no reason not to put the best connector in the box. Especially when it's so easy to do. Put another fixed pin piece of junk in there or install a proper connector. Your choice. Good luck.

wizzard

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well I have already ordered the stainless one so when it arrives I will just see how it goes. Fortunately I have enough. Other mods that if this one don't work out I am still good.

wizzard

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
As far as the FDV CONNECTOR does it come prewired? The connector I ordered is wired and all I have to do is splice.

wizzard

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I meant presoldiered leads coming from the connector. After looking at the FDV connector the hole on the one I have would have to be drilled larger. I am not going to do that. I am trying to keep everything intact except to replace the 510. I am not removing the board or chip. I have a connecter on the way I feel will fit and I have a plan. If I mess up I will just toss it and move on. What is sunny is there is a QC sticker inside the box. Had that person just tried to screw on an atomizer they would have immediately noticed there was a problem. But that did not happen.

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
With the fat daddy you can just run the 10x1.5 tap without drilling I've done 5 cana boxes that way just take it slow. You can't use the provided nut the box is to thick so you need to tap it.

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm just trying to help, but if you want to hammer in another fixed pin connector instead of screwing in a better one and then splice wires someone else selected instead of soldering the stock wire..... Well, it's your stuff.

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I highly doubt your in nj but if you are I have a spare 510 for a Hana I could put in for you no charge.

VU Sponsors