Become a Patron!

DNA 200 choices???

XVapeX

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Hello VU,
Sorry if this has been posted before, but I am trying to figure out what mod to get next for my birthday. I am between the Lavabox DNA 200 and the Reuleux DNA 200 and want to know if anyone has any experience with either? Pros/cons of battery life, finish, ease of use, etc. I appreciate any help offered!! Any other mod choice that's comparable please add as well!

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have both of them. I like them both. No question you will get longer battery runtime with the Reuleaux (3 x 2500 mah 18650's vs three 900 mah Lipos). No question that it is also heavier and less pocket friendly. They both work the same and so far I haven't had any problems with either one of them. They are the apples and oranges of DNA200 mods. Can't really compare them because they are made for different purposes imo.

Cheers,
Steve

Edit Since they both use the DNA200 chip, they operate the exact same way. I got my Lavabox when it was released, The Reuleaux just about a week ago. So far, so good though.

Last edited:
I have both of them. I like them both. No question you will get longer battery runtime with the Reuleaux (3 x 2500 mah 18650's vs 3 900 mah Lipos). No question that it is also heavier and less pocket friendly. They both work the same and so far I haven't had any problems with either one of them. They are the apples and oranges of DNA200 mods. Can't really compare them because they are made for different purposes imo.

Cheers,
Steve

Edit Since they both use the DNA200 chip, they operate the exact same way. I got my Lavabox when it was released, The Reuleaux just about a week ago. So far, so good though.
I always thought that Lavabox has 900 mah 3 cell LiPo battarey pack, so I do not really understand why it is 3900 maH.

XVapeX, I personally own Hcigar VT200, which has 1300 maH LiPo, and due to my experience battarey life is not enough even if I don't go over 70-80 watts. So if size and weight are not a problem for you, I would recommend to get Realaux.

By the way sorry for my English, it's pretty bad.

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I always thought that Lavabox has 900 mah 3 cell LiPo battarey pack, so I do not really understand why it is 3900 maH.

XVapeX, I personally own Hcigar VT200, which has 1300 maH LiPo, and due to my experience battarey life is not enough even if I don't go over 70-80 watts. So if size and weight are not a problem for you, I would recommend to get Realaux.

By the way sorry for my English, it's pretty bad.

I was trying to say it has three 900mah Lipos (3s). There is a space between the 3 and the 9. I'll edit the post to make it clearer. He was asking about battery life and I was pointing out one has three 2500mah 18650's (I'm using Samsung 25R's) vs three 900mah Lipo's (3s).

Edit. To make it crystal clear. The Reuleaux has approximately 27 watt hours (using Samsung 25R's). The Lavabox has approximately 10 watt hours. (using it's 900 mah 3s Lipo pack). Both use three batteries wired in series. One uses three 900mah lipos, the other uses your choice of three 18650's.

Last edited:

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Besides what has been mentioned already, I'll add my $0.02.
Out of the box, a DNA 200 mod, only supports TC for Ni wire. For TC of Ti, or SS wire, you would need a computer (currently Windows only), in order to program Profiles via Escribe into your mod. Therefore, if you're not willing/able to learn the Escribe's basic features, any DNA 200 is not for you. However, if you know how to utilize Escribe, the DNA 200 will exceed your expectations.
If you're not a fan of Escribe, any DNA 200 mod is not for you. If you don't mind the weight and the lack of being pocket friendly, I would consider the Reuleaux RX200, 'cause it doesn't need any fancy programming. OOB, it does support TC for Ni, Ti, and SS wire, and does a pretty good job in that. I have both Reuleaux mods, and I like them both. The DNA 200 outperforms, if you know how to utilize Escribe properly.
A LiPo pack can be charged quicker than a 18650 battery. In addition, a LiPo is lighter. Therefore, they are being used in the R/C hobby. However, a LiPo doesn't like hard crashes that much. It can go up in flames, if it has been damaged. Which can happen right away, or later, e. g. while charging the LiPo pack.

Last edited:

pescadore

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have 2 of the HCigar VT200's and the Reuleaux DNA 200 and I am a fan of the DNA's. I use Escribe and it's not difficult. If you need long battery life the Reuleaux is the way to go but it is heavy with the 3 18650's. I prefer the VT200 but if I don't have an opportunity to plug it in during the day, it will not last me all day. If you are not a chain smoker like me then you might get a whole day from the VT200. I would compare it to having a mod with 2 18650's as far as battery life goes. I usually take the VT200 to work because I can plug it in and still vape. When I get off work then I have a full charge to last the rest of the day. If I know I am not going to be able to charge during the day then I tote the Reuleaux. They both are great Mods.

Flightmedic76

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I don't have the DNA Reuleaux, but I really enjoy the RX. If I was in the market for a DNA I would certainly pick up the Reuleaux as well. The biggest turn off for me personally with mods is internal LiPo batteries. When the internal runs down you need to plug it in versus just swapping out some 18650's which most people have a handful of laying around. The Reuleaux is not small, but it feels oh so good in the hand, and it is built rock solid. I can usually get a whole day with the RX in wattage mode unless I'm really chain vaping. I'm curious to see how the batteries last in TC.

shamelin73

Member For 4 Years
I am a fan of the VT200 from HCigar. I came from the Sig 150TC. I travel quite a bit and not having to have batteries and a charger with me make the VT200 great. The battery last about the same as the Sig 150 for me and we'll when I am at the desk I can just plug it up.

Without having to travel with extra batteries and a charger rocks.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I have a vaporsharkdnaDNA200 which has the same battery as the lavabox only it also has a 2a rapid charger. If it weren't for being able to completely charge the battery in 40 minutes it would be a no go as an adv. I don't believe that lavabox has that charger; so if battery life is a decision factor I would say realoux

Last edited:

Yellowhorse

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I have LOTS of mods but I only have 3 box mods that are using the DNA200. I have a Vapor Shark DNA200, a Wismec Reuleaux DNA200and a custom Mad Modder Studio 1850 DNA200.

The Vapor Shark DNA200 is a great little box mod. No real complaints to speak of. I would recommend it to anyone.

The Reuleaux DNA200 was a nightmare right out of of box. Great exterior design but the inside.....well, let's just say it's underwhelming and a little scary. The almost hair thin wires (24 gauge I think) that are used for the balanced charging coupled with the battery sled's ground wire (also way to thin) that is attached with a screw instead of being soldered on, were causing all kinds of issues with the batteries and overall functionality of the mod. I was experiencing all kinds of random problems. I replaced the 3 cheap/undersized factory charge wires with silicon sleeved 18 gauge silver plated copper wire, replaced the also way to thin factory ground wire for the battery sled with 16 gauge silicon sleeved silver plated copper wire and soldered it instead of using that sketchy screw mount. Finally, I replaced the wires coming from the board and going to the 510 connector as well. Same kind of wire as the other wire I used but this time I used 14 gauge wire. Believe me when I tell you that there is a night and day change/improvement in performance and charging after the wire upgrades. I have issues with spring loaded battery contacts for high powered devices (for several good reasons) but that is a topic for another day. Let me briefly mention serious issues when balance charging different brands/types of 18650 batteries with the factory preset charging profile. I probably don't need to remind a lot of you that all the batteries are different and have slightly different charging requirements and that these issues are greatly amplified when using them in series. That too is a topic for another day. While I was in there I also rerouted the ribbon connector for the display so it wasn't being crushed by the power button every time it was depressed. Now that everything is the way it 'should' have been in the first place, I like the mod better. It's a shame that Joyetech/Wismec/Jaybo didn't put a little more thought/effort into the interior of this device before they unleashed it on their customers, most of whom are 'uninitiated' in basic electronics and have to rely on the dealer or the factory for support (good luck). I am in NO way slamming anybody that is in love with the mod - as is. Just posting my observations and recommendations.

The Mad Modder Studios 1850 DNA200? MARVELOUS!! A little pricey but it's worth every penny and built like a tank. Heavy, machined T6061 aluminum case. A MaxAmps 3s 1850mah LiPo battery pack (about 23wh and rated at 100c!!!) that comes with a LIFETIME warranty. Seriously over-sized silicon sleeved silver plated wire with all connections soldered. This thing is beautiful inside and out. Most are anodized in different colors with laser etched designs of your choice. You supply the graphics you want on it. Mine is raw brushed Aluminum with custom acid-etched (since it is not anodized) engraving. Anybody wanting contact information for the maker - just ask. When I get some time I will post a couple of pictures of it.

This is my first post 'here' but I am a member on several other forums and am not a newbie vaper or stranger to electronics. I'm opinionated, Educated and smart enough to understand that I don't know everything. I'm looking forward to absorbing things I didn't know and be a solid contributor here when I can. I hope I didn't make anybody mad with my comments on the Reuleaux but everything I said addresses KNOWN problems with it. Yeah, I pick nits. Knowledge is power.

Vape safe, Everybody.

Wingsfan0310

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I've only had mine a few weeks. It was from a new batch. My board was programmed November 9, 2015. It came with a proper battery profile preloaded, mod resistance, and case thermal properties. I've had no issues whatsoever with charging in the mod, all are at 4.2v. I'm using Samsung 25R's and haven't had any loss of connection either (another problem people reported with earlier batches). I wonder if they made a few changes after the first batch(s)? I haven't opened up mine yet to check, but so far it's working as good as my other three DNA200 mods.

PS No hurt feelings here. If my opinion changes, I'll be the first one to say it's sub-par, but so far it's been rock solid!.

Edit I should also mention, I only paid $113 shipped (from a USA dealer) for the mod. Not saying it's the best DNA200 mod ever made. For the price, I've been quite pleased so far.

Last edited:

Yellowhorse

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I've only had mine a few weeks. It was from a new batch. My board was programmed November 9, 2015. It came with a proper battery profile preloaded, mod resistance, and case thermal properties. I've had no issues whatsoever with charging in the mod, all are at 4.2v. I'm using Samsung 25R's and haven't had any loss of connection either (another problem people reported with earlier batches). I wonder if they made a few changes after the first batch(s)? I haven't opened up mine yet to check, but so far it's working as good as my other three DNA200 mods.

PS No hurt feelings here. If my opinion changes, I'll be the first one to say it's sub-par, but so far it's been rock solid!.

Mine is about 2 1/2 months old. First batch. As far as I know, the only changes made on the second batch is that the ribbon wire for the display has been re-routed.

IF (big IF) the device came with the proper charging profile for Samsung 25R batteries only (I have my doubts), what do you suppose happens when you put Sony or Panasonic batteries in it? Since the batteries ARE demonstrably different, the charging profile would need to be modified to accommodate those differences. In many cases, the differences are minor and you may not notice the reduced life span or capacities of the batteries. On the flip side, different batteries could be being overcharged or over-discharged and THAT leads to a whole different set of problems. While Evolv does not directly support 18650 battery use because of all the variables, several manufacturers have created their own 18650 battery profiles using who-knows-what batteries. Wismec is one of them and they do not provide any data on what battery that profile was made on. In fact, if you look at their warranty, they specifically state that if Wismec batteries and chargers are not used, the warranty is void. The really strange thing is that Wismec doesn't even make batteries. Weird, eh? Therein lies the problem and one of the reasons I like DNA200 devices that come with a standardized LiPo pack and profiles specifically generated for that battery and case. It's the little things...........that sometimes lead to bigger things, that we should all be trying to avoid.

If you go to Evolv's Advanced User Forum, you will find plenty of information (good and bad) on various brands of 18650 battery charging profiles being used with the DNA200 and some members have been kind enough to share the information with the rest of us. Please keep in mind that using lithium batteries in series combined with balanced charging (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!) presents a whole different set of issues and parameters than using them in parallel. By the way, using a normal external lithium battery charger DOES NOT 'balance charge' the batteries. If you are using a 'hobby charger' and have it set up for 'balance charging' - you are good to go. Better safe than sorry? You betcha! Check it out if you are interested.

All that said, If you are happy with it the way it is and aren't having any problems - enjoy!

Vape safe.

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
No problems whatsoever with my Reuleaux DNA. Absolutely, hands down my favorite mod. I also have a VT200 and I hate it. Battery life is just horrendous. I just vape at home with it because the battery life is so bad. I would consider the VT133 because of the swappable battery set up. It's a nice mod and all but I don't see myself ever buying a lipo mod again.

VU Sponsors