Become a Patron!

DIY nic-free juice

Orion

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hello. Someone recently suggested that I try making my own liquid. I gotta ask, are glycerin from the pharmacy and food flavorings from a super market safe for 100% VG?
Thanks.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hello. Someone recently suggested that I try making my own liquid. I gotta ask, are glycerin from the pharmacy and food flavorings from a super market safe for 100% VG?
Thanks.
I will tell you this....recently I ran out of vg while waiting for an order thru the mail. I did find some at the grocery store, a store brand labelled "Glycerin USP". The ingredient label reads "active ingredient - Glycerin 99.5% anhydrous". Did quite a few Google searches and read quite a few posts on several forums and read a few opinions from licensed pharmacists that said it was all the same thing. I bought it, I use it, and it vapes as smooth as silk. Others' opinions on this may vary. I've gone through near an entire 6oz. bottle and I'm alive and well with no issues.
As far as food flavorings, you need to be a little pickier. A lot of those that are safe for ingestion are NOT suitable for vaping due to colorings, diacetyl, etc.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There are specialized suppliers for both VG and flavors.
USP VG in large quantities (0.5-1 liter) is really cheep, while you will get a small quantity for a high price at a pharmacy.
I found the best price for both USP VG and USP PG at lab equipment suppliers.

Try FA, TFA, FW, Capella for flavors and do not buy anything at the super market.

There are no stupid batteries, just stupid people.

Larry J

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Any VG marked USP is fine for vaping. I definitely agree with nightshard that grocery store food flavorings are out. They're almost all far too weak for use in DIY. You need concentrated flavoring from one of the companies he mentioned, or from others you'll see mentioned here.

Orion

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Well, we don't have USP vg here :D I found 85%pure vg, the rest should be distilled water. Safe, right? I mean, it's a pharmacy... That's at least for a while, until I find the e juice I like near by, or when I run out of it.

Larry J

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Where are you from, Orion. If it's in the US then there should most likely be USP marked on the label. It's not a brand name, but a certification of its purity. Most brands put it in prominent type on the front of the label. Otherwise it might be in smaller type on the back. If what you're looking at doesn't list what the other 15% is composed of then I (personally) wouldn't vape it. Of course, if you're not in the US then completely ignore all the info about USP because that's strictly a USA marking.

Orion

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm from Bulgaria. The other 15%, according to the manufacturer, are "purified water".

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Since you're in Europe look for EP grade VG instead of USP.
VG is used in high quantities by chemical/food/cosmetics industries in every county and most use USP grade or equivalent, so it is not possible you don't have it in your county. Try contacting the industry suppliers.

There are no stupid batteries, just stupid people.

Orion

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I will look around, thanks.

blake2go

Member For 4 Years
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I find VG PG on ebay and vg vp mixes, all at cheap prices.
I have made my own juices from pipe tobacco, and have used store coffee flavoring
All good.

blake2go

Member For 4 Years
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm from Bulgaria. The other 15%, according to the manufacturer, are "purified water".

Outstanding English, I will now have to go learn some Bulgarian
I speak English because I was raised speaking it, Had I not been, I would not
have wanted to learn this CRAZY language.

Orion

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Outstanding English, I will now have to go learn some Bulgarian
I speak English because I was raised speaking it, Had I not been, I would not
have wanted to learn this CRAZY language.
Thank you :D

VU Sponsors