Become a Patron!

Diy newbie looking for advice

Hi. I'm a DIY newbie oh, well pretty new to vaping also. Started vaping about 4 months ago with a pod device and Nic salts. After many unsuccessful Nic salt juice purchases I mean many, I found only two that I really liked. One was glas basix banana cream pie. The other was I think custard shop butterscotch cream pie. And ugly butter was okay but not flavorful enough. Anyways after wasting so much money juices that were disgusting I decided to try my hand at DIY. I got 100 mg liquid Nic salt concentrate in a 50/50 PG VG blend from liquid nicotine wholesalers. As well as a 50/50 PG VG blend for the base I think from there as well. Since most of the flavorings I have are PG based I also have 100% VG to make my juices 50/50. I've been experimenting with flavors and flavor combos always at approximately 15approx 50mgmg Nic salt 50/50 PG VG as my target for finished product. I have tried so many flavors and mixes but they all seem just a little off to me. I could list off all of the flavors that I have by all of the top flavoring brands but that would take too long. Anyways all of my juices seem to have more and a little after taste that make them not as pleasant to vape when compared to the good store-bought juices I've tried. Is there something I'm missing? Could it be the PG VG blend I have or the Nic salts that I have or is there another additive that people use in their recipes that I'm not? Any advice is appreciated thanks.

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Hi. I'm a DIY newbie oh, well pretty new to vaping also. Started vaping about 4 months ago with a pod device and Nic salts. After many unsuccessful Nic salt juice purchases I mean many, I found only two that I really liked. One was glas basix banana cream pie. The other was I think custard shop butterscotch cream pie. And ugly butter was okay but not flavorful enough. Anyways after wasting so much money juices that were disgusting I decided to try my hand at DIY. I got 100 mg liquid Nic salt concentrate in a 50/50 PG VG blend from liquid nicotine wholesalers. As well as a 50/50 PG VG blend for the base I think from there as well. Since most of the flavorings I have are PG based I also have 100% VG to make my juices 50/50. I've been experimenting with flavors and flavor combos always at approximately 15approx 50mgmg Nic salt 50/50 PG VG as my target for finished product. I have tried so many flavors and mixes but they all seem just a little off to me. I could list off all of the flavors that I have by all of the top flavoring brands but that would take too long. Anyways all of my juices seem to have more and a little after taste that make them not as pleasant to vape when compared to the good store-bought juices I've tried. Is there something I'm missing? Could it be the PG VG blend I have or the Nic salts that I have or is there another additive that people use in their recipes that I'm not? Any advice is appreciated thanks.
If I’m understanding.....most commercial juices are 30pg/70vg or max vg. That could be your problem?

Oops, I didn’t read thoroughly. Nic salts. I know nothing about nic salts.

Last edited:

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I haven't tried 50mg juice but I cant imagine it tasting that great.

There's ways to eliminate bad tasting juices. There's a post stickied in the general DIY section. Your nic, or other ingredients can be the culprit.

I'd suggest going to All The Flavors website and search for Salt Nic recipes. Get the flavors for one or two of those and mix them up. I don't know know if your following recipes or just trying to create one. It's hard to create good tasting liquid when you don't know your flavors. It takes time and experience.

BozVapes

Member For 1 Year
Start of with Hics LMP play with one flavour at a time, or some even simpler recipe, single flavour test
your concentrates they change say inw biscuit its very raw flavour straight off the shake and vape 4
days after its not s raw tasting its nice and rich, these flavours change by themselves over a short & long steep.

There are plenty of places chefs flavours have a facebook page and there flavour notes are huge :) start
with 1,2,3 mix recipes trust me, ive been there with 30 + recipes gone down the drain because i tried
to make 7-8 flavour concentrate recipes without known what i was doing,

One more thing is misleading say CAP Lemon meringue pie is not a full lemon meringue pie its maybe just
the lemon center you need to make the topping and base, Just because the bottles of concentrates have
pictures of a full lemon meringue pie it does not mean that is what you are getting.

You have to start of small get the basics down go to all the flavours and find out which are the most common
flavours don't just buy all the cheapest flavours you can get all the basics if you go to all the flavours chose
flavours on the top bar and put in cream or say vanilla you can see which is most used.

Flavour arts are nice but chefs flavours sell Flavour creative which is exactly the same ad FA at a fraction of
the price, use the 10% code on every site you buy your concentrates

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I went through one 60ml bottle of salts before going back to freebase nic for mixing. However...

If you mix a freebase recipe at 15%, you might need 25% of flavors in nic salts. It mutes flavors like nobody's business.

It also takes some getting used to. I'd reduce the salt strength to about 25mg and bump your flavors by about 30%. Just mix a 10ml and see if that helps.

VU Sponsors