Become a Patron!

DIY Mod Building Ge Naos Raptor

bb0y

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Whats up fellow vape mod building DIYers? I am currently in the process of another DIY project featuring the Ge Naos Raptor chip. I was lucky enough to get my hands on the 60a/300w version of the chip (Big shoutout to NitroBex for pointing me in the direction of someone who had it in stock). I am just looking for others and putting myself out there asking if anyone else is currently experimenting with this chip. Wondering whether anyone has done any testing on the efficiency and any heat related issues related, possible digital potentiometer ideas, possible DIY wattage module adjustment via wattage instead of voltage, onboard charging, problems they have encountered, or just anything related to the Raptor. I am also always looking for more people to shoot the shit with that are knowledgeable about the electronics and components that go into vaping gear. So if you are passionate about DIY mod building and want to share your knowledge with others. Pull the trigger..

NitroBex

The Cloud Chasing Geek
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Show Host
Reviewer
Vape Media
VU Live Host
I dont build with boards but from checking around with a bunch of people I know using the raptor chip the efficiency is about what they say it is on the data sheet. The 60A chip iirc runs 95% so your looking at 285watts max depending on the load. The battery tech is gonna be the hard one on the 300 watt chip. The more the amp load the more the sag on the input the more the sag on the output =)

bb0y

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yeah so far i am having a lot of trouble finding anyone who has built extensively with this particular chip, but it is basically the same as the other Raptor chips. I am not confident enough in my own skills with this chip to operate at such high values. I've got to upgrade fuses, capacitors, possibly different potentiometer values to achieve what I want to do. I just need to pull my big boy pants up and start popping some chips or batteries.. Wish these chips were $2 from fasttech... ;)

OWWW! the 60A version is too much...I haven't tried to mess w one yet, but they seem a tad large with the heat sink attached...probably cost an arm and a leg too so pulling the heat sink at the risk of damage to the reg is a nono....hmmmmm Let me kow how it works out...to me that one looks like a good candidate for a hookah box...NOT a mod...Good Luck tho... :D

bb0y

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
OWWW! the 60A version is too much...I haven't tried to mess w one yet, but they seem a tad large with the heat sink attached...probably cost an arm and a leg too so pulling the heat sink at the risk of damage to the reg is a nono....hmmmmm Let me kow how it works out...to me that one looks like a good candidate for a hookah box...NOT a mod...Good Luck tho... :D

Hookah box yes that was the idea originally... all the chips are the same price under $30, basically just trying to find them in stock where they are wholesale is the issue. People selling them way too overpriced on Ebay, taking advantage of the lack of supply, and crazy demand. I dont think there is a huge difference in size between the 40amp and the 60amp, so they should both fit relatively easily in a hammond box with two 26550's.. but yes I was working on this for a coffee table style hookah for party vaping but if I can build it compact enough for a box I will just for the hell of it..

Artisan Vaping

Founding Vendor
Founding Vendor
VU Vendor
One warning about building these super-high current mods with cylindrical batteries... Make sure the battery holder can carry the current. If you look at high current LiPo batteries (the ones used in RC gear, for instance), the always have a good connector like a Deans or something else that can handle high current. Using a dual battery holder from Digikey (or where ever), you must make sure it is spec'ed for the kind of current you will be drawing from those batteries.

Just some friendly advice.

If I was going to build with one of them I would use the same LiPo pack in my current box, it is a 90c so over 500 amps and no pesky battery holder.

bb0y

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If I was going to build with one of them I would use the same LiPo pack in my current box, it is a 90c so over 500 amps and no pesky battery holder.

yeah I am frequenting hobby shops trying to find different lipo batteries, you have any suggestions on brands or ones to avoid?

I'm using Turnigy LiPo's in mine, this one is what is in the one I just built a wooden box for(and learned that I don't have a knack for woodworking, lol)

hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__51841__Turnigy_nano_tech_Ultimate_6400mah_1S2P_90C_Hardcase_Lipo_Pack.html

Sitting here patiently waiting til Fat Daddy updates the stock on the 510 connections.. =(

Okay, not very patiently.

bb0y

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have a fat daddy 510 im gonna use on a 200 watt mod, but I'm really digging the new varitube.com 510 connectors , 22mm in stock on their website. good price too

Bought 6 of the ones from fatdaddy, just in case lol. Went to varitube but they were sold out by the time I saw the response

bb0y

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Bought 6 of the ones from fatdaddy, just in case lol. Went to varitube but they were sold out by the time I saw the response

Oh man that sucks, I was about to order more of them. Sorry about that.

I too have been looking for more info on the higher wattage Naos chip builds and build specs. I have a 40A - 200watt Naos chip that I really want to build with asap but can't find enough info to complete the build. Its pins 1,2, & 3 are all labelled Vout and pin #9 is PwGood (WTF? is that I wonder - hadn't seen that on any other chips I've built with yet) AND, pins 12 & 13 are both labelled Vin... Just need someone like Mamu to create a nice wiring diagram for me.. lol. She's been an amazing help for me on my other builds and I've used her info to build my others with great outcome. I've built several box mods with the 10A and 20A versions but really want to push the envelope just a bit more - why you ask? - just for the fun of it - I seldom even require the full 20A of power when vaping but just wanta play with higher power because it's out there to be reckoned with... ;-) ya feel me..?

BTW, I have some FDV 510's myself but do also like the looks of those VariTube ones - got on the waiting list - hope to cop a few of those soon as well - they look awesome..!! Thanks for the heads up!!

Attachments

• Naos-40A-pinout.JPG
    Naos-40A-pinout.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 445
Only reason I am even considering building a VW box is for the wife - but even if she doesn't use it, I still like building box mods and haven't done a VW one yet so I believe it will end up on my to do list.

Ended up with a couple MOSFET's I was going to use in my next unregulated to let me use a smaller switch and it came in the mail and is smaller than the eraser on a pencil lol - no fuckin way

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have a Marine Battery hooked up with 10g wire to a 510 connector, with a rail switch from a Train Track. Should hit like a big dog. Gonna use a 26650 101 Dripper. :cool:

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
OKR-T10:

OKRt10box01.png

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
This is the 120 watt raptor. I haven't been able to find much on the bigger one:

raptor7.png raptor-wiring-nicd.png

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thank You Big Time. I have two GE Raptors on the way. Making Mods is My thing for right now. Evolve wants 49.00 each for their board. I was there yesterday. I hit one auction but missed by .06 cents. EBay is a blast. This Forum is better.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I love it. Took me weeks to figure out what this Vid shows in minutes. I lost my mind, (it was in jeopardy anyway) my eyesight, and sense of humor building my first one. Your a Hero, showing others how. It is not easy, but it's fun!

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I had to score another 26650 Atty. VJoe makes it SO easy to be a Vape Master. :cool: 26650 is the Trucker of Vaping. When the 38000 comes out, we will see.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I got 500.00 in building Mods. Don't expect a dime back. I watched a friend smoke almost a pack of cigs last night. 6.00 he burned up. Amend my costs. 500.00 in Vaping. Maybe more. My vaping equipment is going to be here tomorrow. He has a burnt cig filter. To be fair I sucked down three six packs. 15.00 I can breathe, laugh, & play my Tuba. Sousaphone. My air is back. If I would have been weird, I could have been rich playing in a orchestra. I just can't do that. Harley & Rock & Roll define me. I love both. Women are a bonus. I love em' every one.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A ship that had a cargo of Pot has partially sunk. Guess it's "Sea Weed" now. The Cops are drying it out I would guess. Evidence Ya Know.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oh wait, that post was not vape related, to certain specs. Better Bitch about it. Isolate it. Wait, this Awesome Forum has NO Rules. I just bought a 26650 Atomizer Vapor Joe turned me on too, & You can too. Lick my tires. When I need a wimp I will hire one.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This Post is brought to you by : The Foundation of Vapers, & the foundation to cure Wimps. Part of the K.M.A. Network. This won't be found on N.P.R.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I got a used Dell magnifying station @ a yard sale for 10.00! Had it for years. Didn't need it till now. I can see a splinter in a Nat's ass with it. Micro soldering is a breeze.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Zurcon encrusted tweezers. I can hit the solder joint every time. Tin the joint, sticks every time. Sloppy = shorts. Micro is more fun. Now I know how to wire it, I make it work for Me. 320.00 for a Raptor Mod? I smile with that. It's skill. They pay for that. If you have that much money I can make one for you. I will make you three. I am poor, your not, let's talk. I am a product of silicon valley. Masters degrees are like napkins. Rapture! It's how we are. These hillbilly's in Texas think I'm a God. I am just a normal product of superior parents. I like it.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I am poor as well. I would love for you to post some pictures of your first raptor mod so I can see what you have been working on.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I flooded the thread. No One here. Might as well use bandwith. No one else is here. Makes me happy to build. I will shower the thread with pics, when I have something to show. Have some Mods in the building stage, Have parts on the way.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
where did you order the chips from? digikey, mouser?

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
did you go with the hammond boxes?

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Have a new gun on the way. 415'2 is a vaping thing. FT will make me happy eventually like in some other time. Some Dude is messing with me, I'm not sure if I should be friends with him or not. I think I should because it's easier than being a Tard. I mean come on, how bad can it be? I can flip him to someone who can enjoy his company. All I can do.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm more than this. I enjoy the challenge of new tech. I don't see the need of the 120 when 15w boils juice. Then again my Wife hated my Honda XXX Night bird. 226 mph. Didn't ride it at that. I sold Honda Motorcycles. What could I do. :cool:

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Take my Vamo V5 in my Vest with a Atty of my choice. I ride to where I can think. What can I give back? I have a bicycle from Walmart delivered every month. I call the Fire Department to come get them. Cops are Pricks. 12 bikes for 12 kids. Just my way. How it is.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Did the same as before, but ordered 10 boxes from Digi Key. The hardware from Mouser. 510's I have yet to order. Have 50' of wire, 98 of resistors & other components. So I just go for it. Chin Hung Lo is mining the ore for the boxes, so all is on track. Yu Gotta Tri, is on the marketing, looks like a good trial run. Arrriba, Yee ha! On da Lay white boy. I can make derogatory statements about me, and no one gives a shit. Don't say anything about anyone else, might hurt their feelings.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Play that funky music white boy, play that funky music right, lay down the boogie, & play that funky music till you die. If I get on a Jet, I want a parachute! The rest of you are on your own.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Did the same as before, but ordered 10 boxes from Digi Key. The hardware from Mouser. 510's I have yet to order. Have 50' of wire, 98 of resistors & other components. So I just go for it. Chin Hung Lo is mining the ore for the boxes, so all is on track. Yu Gotta Tri, is on the marketing, looks like a good trial run. Arrriba, Yee ha! On da Lay white boy. I can make derogatory statements about me, and no one gives a shit. Don't say anything about anyone else, might hurt their feelings.
Fatdaddyvapes are the go to 510 connectors for high end box mod builders. They have a spring loaded center so all attys sit flush.
They sell out fast so if they are in stock now is the time to pick a few up.
http://www.fatdaddyvapes.com/shop.html

Anyone know of a GOOD video on either the okr or raptor? I am a really visual learner and need to see how it's done. Goss' video is no help. Can anyone here help? I have parts but really getting annoyed with my lack of skill. Input would be awesome. Thanks

VU Sponsors