Become a Patron!

DIY Lube

Lost

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Considering so many DIY juice makers have VG sitting around, I thought for sure there would already be a thread on homemade lube. Apparently not. Let the jokes begin.

DIY LUBE
3/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
4 1/2 tablespoons food-grade vegetable glycerine
2 1/4 teaspoons vinegar or lemon juice
8 tablespoons plus one teaspoon water

NOTES
--Mix the xanthan gum and glycerine together until the xanthan gum is absolutely incorporated. Only then should you add the rest. Stir well, put in a bottle and shake.

--You probably won't like the idea of vinegar/lemon juice. It's here because some people don't use really clean cooking utensils, and the acid makes this a little more shelf stable for the long term. You can simply ignore the acid and bump up the water to 9 tablespoons. Citric acid is another possibility.

--Makes about 7 oz (200 ml). Note the glycerine:liquid ratio is 1:2.

--Xanthan gum is a powder and makes the lube a bit cloudy. You can buy it online or in health food stores. It's expensive, but even 8 oz. (226 g) of it is cheaper than two small bottles of, say, Astroglide. You can always borrow xanthan gum from a neighbor who bakes bread. Tell them you're making a couple loaves.

Last edited:

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Considering so many DIY juice makers have VG sitting around, I thought for sure there would already be a thread on homemade lube. Apparently not. Let the jokes begin.

DIY LUBE
3/4 teaspoon xanthan gum

NOTES
--Mix the xanthan gum and glycerine together until the xanthan gum is absolutely incorporated. Only then should you add the rest. Stir well, put in a bottle and shake.

--You probably won't like the idea of vinegar/lemon juice. It's here because some people don't use really clean cooking utensils, and the acid makes this a little more shelf stable for the long term. You can simply ignore the acid and bump up the water to 9 tablespoons. Citric acid is another possibility.

--Xanthan gum is a powder and makes the lube a bit cloudy. You can buy it online or in health food stores. It's expensive, but even 8 oz. (226 g) of it is cheaper than two small bottles of, say, Astroglide. You can always borrow xanthan gum from a neighbor who bakes bread. Tell them you're making a couple loaves.
lube-sign.jpg

Lost

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Is it hypoallergenic? Asking for a friend.

Well, you can eat it. XG and VG are both approved for food use. And I haven't seen anyone on any other forums say anything bad about it.
So you can confidently tell your friend (since the friend is the only curious party here) that this is a billion times safer than getting e-juice on your skin.

cmoorewv

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
A

DIY LUBE
3/4 teaspoon xanthan gum

NOTES

Actually, I could see a bit of vinegar being useful here. Preventative medicine. LOL.

SailCat

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Since this is a thread in the non-vaping related topics section, I'm wonder WTH you're lubricating?

I had a pharmacist friend say to me once, "Use Vaseline if you want to get stuck."

I don't think she was a vaperm though ....

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

DIY LUBE
3/4 teaspoon xanthan gum

NOTES

Wouldn't the lemon juice burn?

Lost

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Wouldn't the lemon juice burn?

Nope. At least... um... according to what the people on other forums keep saying.

Tangent:
100% of people can see this recipe, think it's stupid and never make it. It would still be funny. Because there will be a portion of members who forever look at their VG and think "People actually make LUBE with this stuff." Good times.

I should point out that I am among that tortured portion of members. But hey, VG is used for a ton of stuff. Ejuice is just the latest Big Thing.

VU Sponsors