Become a Patron!

DIY Issues

So my problem is the following :

I got a clone recipe from a friend for Twelve Monkeys Matata and tried it as my first DIY liquid, seeing its just 2 simple flavours + sweetener it seems simple enough.
Tried to make some 30ml bottles and used the calculator over at e-liquid-recipes.com, used 48mg PG nic from NicSelect ( it was the one they sold on the website where I live in the EU and I know like 5-6 other people from a forum who use this Nic )

Other ratios are
Fuji Apple (FA) 2%

Grape Candy (TPA) 6%

Sweetener ( Sucralose ) ( TPA ) 2.5% and then just the right amount of nic and vg/pg to make it 3mg 70vg/30pg.
I also use a pocket scale that does 0.01g and syringes for the nic and PG/VG and haven't gone over any of the number limits.
Now my problem is when I went to have a try after like 3-4 days it tastes really bad, kinda tastes like the nicotine smells straight from its own bottle, kind of an ashtray smell.

I kept the bottles in dark place not too warm and shake them everyday for about a min, but when I vape them for a test run I instantly get this harsh almost burned ash tray flavour to it.
Someone local who also makes this exact same recipe says it should be a lot better after +- 2 weeks but I find it hard to believe this harsh burned ash like taste will disappear.

So far its been 5 days since the liquid was made, I just find it weird that my nicotine has such a strong smell straight from its own bottle ( I keep it in the fridge and its been there since it was delivered to me and I shake it well before use )

Is there something wrong with my nic ? is my friend right and will it just all blend together after 2 weeks ?
When I smell my liquid it does already has that candy grape smell like real Matata but doing a good puff at 45 watts on a Cleito with fresh coil just gives this really harsh almost ash like taste to the juice, but like I said its only been 5 days since it was mixed.

Do I just worry too much about the current flavour and will it smooth down after 2 weeks steeping ? or did I got shafted and got bad nicotine ? ( NicSelect says on their website it should look clear and it does but they don't say anything about the smell )

Did you shake or stir your nic concentrate before using it?

The nic comes in a 100ml glass amber coloured bottle and gave it a good shake before drawing it out with a syringe.
Even now when I take it out of the fridge and shake it well and then have a small wiff of it it smells really potent, almost like a wet ash tray would.

I specifically got the PG based nic as well since it would be easy to handle and people told me it would be easier for a beginner then VG based nic.
Also checked and the nic has a expiration date of Oct 2019.

Last edited:
Clear ( like it states on their own website )

it's from this brand : http://nicselect.com/ , but bought on a local webshop which does pharma grade bases so it's supposed to be good, and on another forum I know like 6 people who use this nic.

Starting to think I'm maybe just impatient after 4 days but I don't really see how this harsh taste will disappear from the liquid after 2 weeks like my friend says, but he claims its normal that it tastes awful right now and gets good after 2-3 weeks.

iVapeDIY

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Starting to think I'm maybe just impatient after 4 days but I don't really see how this harsh taste will disappear from the liquid after 2 weeks like my friend says, but he claims its normal that it tastes awful right now and gets good after 2-3 weeks.

Harsh can also mean
  • dry hit
  • coil gunk
Have you ruled that out? There is a simple way to check your nic; make a small batch of your 3mg/ml with NO flavor ... it should not be harsh.

Tried on a fresh 0.4 Cleito coil right from the pack to get the best feeling for the liquid so I'm sure its not the coil, also pre soaked the coil and let it stand for a good 5 mins like I always do and never had issues with dry hits on my cleito.

I might make up 10ml of liquid with just VG/PG and then the nic to get it to 3mg and vape straight away, if it has the same shit taste I assume its a bad bottle of nic?

iVapeDIY

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I might make up 10ml of liquid with just VG/PG and then the nic to get it to 3mg and vape straight away, if it has the same shit taste I assume its a bad bottle of nic?

Yup ... unless you have bad PG or VG. You can vape your PG and PG (pure) too ... should have no taste ... slightly sweet with VG.

tried 70vg 30pg without nic and tasted fine, slightly sweet but nothing else.
then tried the same but with 3mg nic also tasted fine, no strong pepper taste or anything from the nic, just an added throat hit compared to the vg/pg alone, I'm glad the nic I have aint bad then.

guess the FA Fuji apple or TPA grape candy needs lots of steeping, just tried some 0mg matata I made sunday and tastes harsh even without nicotine and the grape candy doesn't even come through the apple yet even though I used 1.8ml of that compared to 0.6 Fuji Apple.
Guess ill let it steep another week and try again then.

Lannie

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Also, and I hate to ask the obvious question, but are you sure you mixed it to 3% and not 30%? As in, how big is your bottle of juice, and how many ml of nic base did you put in? It sounds to me like there might be way too much nic in your juice. I could be wrong, but it never hurts to check the math. :)

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Also, and I hate to ask the obvious question, but are you sure you mixed it to 3% and not 30%? As in, how big is your bottle of juice, and how many ml of nic base did you put in? It sounds to me like there might be way too much nic in your juice. I could be wrong, but it never hurts to check the math. :)
3% nic? isn't that a bit high?

Lannie

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Ooops, no it's not. It's only 48mg/ml. I was thinking of someone else's post, apparently. My bad. Disregard my posts in this thread. :(

tried 70vg 30pg without nic and tasted fine, slightly sweet but nothing else.
then tried the same but with 3mg nic also tasted fine, no strong pepper taste or anything from the nic, just an added throat hit compared to the vg/pg alone, I'm glad the nic I have aint bad then.

guess the FA Fuji apple or TPA grape candy needs lots of steeping, just tried some 0mg matata I made sunday and tastes harsh even without nicotine and the grape candy doesn't even come through the apple yet even though I used 1.8ml of that compared to 0.6 Fuji Apple.
Guess ill let it steep another week and try again then.
I've always heard to get vg base nicotine buy flavors suspended in vg. The flavoring gets you your 70/30 ratio. But I have no personal experience but the guy sells 100s of 120mls a week. Just saying. And you never taste his nic. No gunk on your coils. Best I've found but I hate counter juice, way too sweet!

VU Sponsors