Become a Patron!

Disabled vaper needs stand

brittany741

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have been searching for a stand to meet my needs and I hope you can help me with ideas as well as finding someone who can produce the stand to suit my needs.

I've compiled a list of necessary features which will make this stand suit my needs and lifestyle. I spend 23 hours a day confined to bed.

Features:
Charging station with cord passthrough
18650 storage

Coil building station to build auto-tensioned coils using a fly fishing reel with drag combined with a hand crank mounted jig

Spool storage

Tool storage slots for quick access

wicking material storage, including 316L mesh, silica, standard wick bags. A drawer under part of the stand may work better for aesthetic purposes.

Ohm meter slot for 18650 ohm meter

Mod storage (universal) to suit current and future regulated mod needs

Atomizer storage to suit RTAs and RDAs but a shelf instead of slots to fit future designs, such as giant or differently shaped atomizers, also parts storage for different top caps and accessories. A second drawer might suit this parts storage need better.

Drip tip storage to suit both 510 and chuff caps

Juice storage to fit small unicorn bottles, as I will keep my main juice bottles on a shelf and transfer juice into smaller squeeze bottles to save space and with my limited dexterity, they simply work better. I have too much juice to keep on my nightstand.

Storage drawer to hold things like extra grub screws, insulators, etc

I know this seems like a lot but my quality of life is quite limited and building and vaping is pretty much my only activity outside of using my phone and TV. A stand would greatly improve my quality of life and those few minutes a day where I can sit up.

Any ideas or brainstorming you have is much appreciated. I want a wood stand stained similarly in color to my nightstand as it will be going on top of my nightstand. A tiered stand may be the best way to go to maximize space while minimizing footprint.

Thank you so much

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Something like this? You can get slotted holders to fit inside the drawers.
2.jpg
https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/adeptus-6-drawer_mobile_storage_cart/0000000036562?utm_source=googleps&utm_medium=shopping+search&utm_campaign=google+product search&gslfah&gclid=CKPKrqqj09ICFQ-BswodJEoBJA

brittany741

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That's a great idea. The problem would be getting to the drawers as I cannot bend down. A custom tabletop stand would probably fit my physical capabilities better as it would minimize the amount of physical movement needed to access everything.

Thank you so much. I may consider the drawers for something else and elevate it on something so bending wouldn't be required.

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Hmm... We do have our woody-worky guys here who do stands, but I don't know if this is something they would want to take on. All we can do is ask. @Absolute-Wood is one who comes to mind.

Absolute-Wood

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Looking at google images search found this, if you knew a wood worker that could do this, although $56 is not a bad price.
media.nl

Came from this site>> http://www.rings-things.com/Product...Organizers/Beadalon-Table-Top-Work-Bench.html

I like it so much I bookmarked it!!!

Actually, a great price. It looks like clear pine, great for light weight. Appears finished - look at the reflection of the tubes in the cubby.

@brittany741 This would be a great project - it would require a good bit of design to get it right.

• I would suggest first compiling a list of sizes of objects like battery charger, ohm meter, etc...
  • Number of Mods, RDAs; major parts
  • Number of batteries
  • A link or more detailed info for the fishing reel / hand crank jig building setup - this seems like a removeable sub-piece to the stand
  • The amount of space (footprint) it can occupy on your nitestand - eventually a pic for color, wood type
  • Approximate number of alike items to be stored - spools, hand tools, wicking materials, etc...
I'm way busy now, but, I would like to donate the design time to create what you need. Not sure how much time or how quickly I can get it done tho. The resulting prints could be given to any good woodworker. Also, time permitting, I could make it, but like I mentioned, I'm jammed with work now. It could be months before I had a break in my production schedule. I'm a one man operation - and things are getting busier by the day it seems! I'll do what I can - you deserve it.

Edit: could have sworn I read "Disabled Veteran" - if not - Doh! on my part... damn meds ;) Besides - we're a family of Vapers, and I like helping family.

I can't thank you enough for your service - and especially your sacrifice. I'm ex Air Force. My son is currently making a career in the Navy. My dad served in the Navy during WWII. I had two brothers that were Marines. You are the most honorable and highest class of human. Thank you.

Rick
absolute-wood

Last edited:
Hi Brittany! I understand some of your situation. I was a primary care giver for my late stepfather for 14 years after his first major stroke......

Anyhow I am a gadgeteer, I love coming up with inexpensive and simple solutions to everyday problems.

I have designed several devices in the past for making coils simply and easily, I would love to send you one for beta testing when i start production of my latest design.

As I will be using a 3D printer for this, I also have the capability to design and produce all kinds of things.

Unfortunately i cant do the entire piece of furniture, but I would love to help with the individual componants that can turn a desk into a vape/build station!!!

eSMOKA

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I would think that your best chance at getting something close to what you need is to look at what online fly-fishing supply stores have to offer. Sure, they might be somewhat pricey, but trying to piece together a unit with parts from various sources would be just expensive, if not more.

But you'll probably have to settle for finishes that aren't exactly what you want.

brittany741

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thank you everyone for your replies! So sorry I've not been back, it's been a hellish week for pain.

In the mean time, I have come up with a solution to work for the interim. First, I found a nice bookcase that will be beside my bed. I simply have too much juice to warrant a stand, so I am using a carousel to hold the bottles. I bought a bunch of Chubby Gorilla bottles in bulk to ease the difficulty in using glass bottles as I have frequent bouts of hand weakness (they think I have May have MS) and drop stuff all the time.

As for the Coil building, I would love to try your prototype and would be happy to pay for shipping. My husband has helped me come up with a design for a permanent workstation and once we get that going, I will definitely share. If it works well enough, I may even decide to make them (albeit slowly) to offer to others in similar circumstances. There just really isn't much out there for people like me. It's either buy pre-made coils or use something like a production drop-in Coil. Disabled folks vape too!

Now that I've determined the need to separate out the various types of items, and I'm adding a lot more real estate in which to store everything, I will be able to likely get more off-the-shelf solutions to organize and hold everything. Such as a tiered stand for atomizers, the carousel for my juices, and that leaves the final piece of the puzzle as the coil building station. Thankfully my husband is a huge help in that area and has come up with a few ideas to make it not just something I *can* do but something I will enjoy doing. I can't remember the last time I did something just because it was fun. It's not much fun laying in bed all day and night.

He also proposed maybe I start a YouTube channel so others can benefit from what we've learned as far as how disabled folks can vape and build. Who knows!

brittany741

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I forgot to add pics of how I am storing my juice on my night stand. I have since started slowing transferring everything to Chubby Gorilla bottles. The 120ml CG bottles fit perfectly in the stand, whereas glass 120mL bottles do not.

https://imgur.com/a/4s9co

eSMOKA

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
He also proposed maybe I start a YouTube channel so others can benefit from what we've learned as far as how disabled folks can vape and build. Who knows!

Hey, you got the time. SO if you have the ambition, it's a great idea. It would help other disabled vapers and yourself because people could post stuff in the comments that might help you improve on your own setup.

Ms. Trixy

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Your idea about YouTube videos to help other disabled veterans would be a great idea.

I'm no wood builder, but I know what it's like to be in bed often. Do you have a hospital table? The one that slides under your bed but give you a flat working surface. I use it for my laptop. But you can have someone sew hanging pocket pouches for each side. With a long piece of fabric running the length of the table top by sewing it to top of one of the pockets, or use just a towel to put on the table. It's hard to describe, but a simple solution temporarily.

They have an entire section dedicated to Bedside Storage. $6.99 - $8.99.
http://www.stacksandstacks.com/bedside-storage

There is another website called organizeit.com/bedside-storage.asp
It's actually the same site but with more information.

I hope this helps.

VU Sponsors