Become a Patron!

Difference between TC and VW and what is happening to your mod in each?

wert

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So how bout a dedicated informative thread designed to expose the inner workings of Temprature Control and Varible Wattage modes on our mods?

Straight up informative please.

Thanks

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
So vw uses power to heat the coil. The higher the power the faster it heats the coil. The issue, or lack of issue, the coil continues to heat.

With tc you set a temp and power or watts. Power or watts sets how fast the coil heats up to the temp set. The power then modulates to maintain the temp.

There are variables why you use different settings based on coils used, how many coils, etc for both vw and tc.

Don't know if this is what you want.

Evileclipse

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'll do the best I can with the limited knowledge I have on the subject, but you're welcome to ask any questions you might have. If I do not know, I will be able to help find the answer for you.
Ok, we will start with Variable Wattage (VW). Variable Wattage is very simple in that you tell the mod what Wattage you would like to vape at, and it adjusts the Voltage going through the coil to match your preference. There are a couple different ways of achieving this with software, but they have very similar results. The end result will always be that you tell the mod the number of watts, and it will calculate the math and lower or raise Voltage accordingly.
Temperature Control (TC) is a totally different animal and is much more sophisticated. In most mods that do TC, you have control over the amount of Watts delivered as well as controlling the final, and holding temperature of the coil as well. This is achieved by using certain kinds of wire whose resistance(ohms) changes measurably when its temperature changes. Ex- Ni200, Titanium, and Stainless Steel. When Voltage is applied to these coils and they increase in temperature, the computer inside your mod reads the resistance change and calculates the temp of the coil itself, and adjusts accordingly to the temperature that you set it to. This is very helpful because when your cotton starts to dry out, or run out of juice, there is nothing to keep the temperature in check and it will raise very quickly. The mod will see this, and reduce power to keep your cotton from burning up, or getting a dry or burnt hit. Some people swear by TC, but I'm old fashioned and will probably always just use VW, even with Stainless Steel. I've been vaping long enough that I can tell long before my cotton has gotten dry, because the taste will become muted, or lacking. A person new to vaping though may benefit greatly from the ability to pay less mind to the level of juice and be comfortable knowing that there is a system in place to keep them from the dreaded dry hit or burnt hit.

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Guess I was a little vague but there is a ton of info out there with tcr charts and preferred mods. Power is power, period.

Angrygod50

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Power mode is best for beginners, nothing to learn - set the power and vape away. But the temp increases the longer you draw.

TC has a learning curve, If it's not done right you won't like it but the reward is consistency of temp both during and from hit to hit. Also some manufactures don't implement it very well so the satisfaction you get will vary from company to company and the wire type your using.

It's a matter of preference over witch ones for you.

As far as how they work see the the explanation above.

VU Sponsors