Become a Patron!

Diabetes info please help

Chuck-N Clouds

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Is there anything in VG-PG or the flavoring mixtures that would cause a jump in suger levels? My friends suger levels went up and the only thing he has changed was he started vaping, i tolgd him im sure that it wasn't from vaping but just want to know for sure so anyone out there that has a definite answer please comment ok? thanks and VAPE ON!!! And check out Chuck-N Clouds page on Facebook and plrase like and comment if you want thanks again. VAPE ON!!!

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Is there anything in VG-PG or the flavoring mixtures that would cause a jump in suger levels? My friends suger levels went up and the only thing he has changed was he started vaping, i tolgd him im sure that it wasn't from vaping but just want to know for sure so anyone out there that has a definite answer please comment ok? thanks and VAPE ON!!! And check out Chuck-N Clouds page on Facebook and plrase like and comment if you want thanks again. VAPE ON!!!

It shouldn't. I have a diabetic friend who vapes, and it doesn't affect her sugar levels at all. However, I seem to remember that she had to lower her nicotine.

anendeloflorien

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Were they a smoker previously? If so I wonder if the tobacco use was suppressing sugar uptake somehow. We all know that circulation increases when you quit so it may be that his body is recovering and it will take him some time to get his levels right again.

To the best of my knowledge VG/PG does not break down to sugars in the body, not sure about flavorings though...... Kind of out of my wheelhouse

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Just my uneducated 2 cents.

Hydration is always good whether or not you are a vaper and perhaps that has something to do with it.

But I have heard positive things from diabetics about some flavors at least helping them control the old Sweet Tooth.

Chowder

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Propylene Glycol is a form of alcohol. I know that ETOH (or Ethyl Alcohol that we drink) is broken down into sugars and other byproducts by the body’s metabolic processes. However, I’m not sure if PG is metabolized in the same manner. Does anybody have insight or a documented resource on this subject?

Edit:

I found this on the diabetesforum.com :

Propylene glycol is an organic compound which has ubiquitous applications in everything from food manufacturing to lubrication of industrial equipment. Oral toxicity for both acute and long-term exposure is very low. In humans, PG is metabolized into lactic, pyruvic (a ketone), and acetic (vinegar) acids, all three of which are already naturally found in the human body. The only complication I could see from this would be if you take metformin. Although rare, metformin has been known to potentiate lactic acidosis, a potentially life-threatening condition caused by a build-up of lactic acid. However, it’s doubtful that the amount of lactic acid the PG in your pseudo-cigarette would cause you to metabolize would be sufficient to induce lactic acidosis. The bottom line: propylene glycol is generally recognized as safe and should have a neutral effect on blood sugar concentration.

Vegetable glycerin, more commonly referred to as glycerol, is a polyol alcohol compound. Glycerol is a common food additive which works as a preservative, a sweetener, and thickening agent. Humans metabolize glycerol into a form of triglycerides, phospholipids, and possibly glucose. Since glycerol is an alcohol, it does metabolize like a carbohydrate, although it has a lower glycemic index than sucrose. Thus, it is likely to cause a small increase in your blood sugar, though the amount contained in your pseudo-cigarette is unlikely to make that increase significant (or perhaps even detectible). The bottom line: vegetable glycerin is generally recognized as safe and might produce a modest temporary elevation of blood sugar.

The bottom-bottom line: whatever risks might be involved with the intake of propylene glycol and vegetable glycerin are clearly much smaller than the known risks of cigarette smoking. I applaud you in your decision and action to discontinue smoking. Nicotine is perhaps the most addictive drug to exist, so I highly respect your efforts.

Last edited:

scarecrowjenkins

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
As i understand it, VG found in e-liquids metabolizes as sugar in the body. A good friend of mine is a chemist and she confirmed that for me. What that means to a diabetic i cannot say

I'm 49, type2, using no meds to control blood sugar with an A1C (3 month blood sugar percentile average) of 5.8. I've been vaping for 1yr. 3 months and was diagnosed late 2012. FWIW, I don't see any spikes in my daily glucometer check from vaping and my A1C has been constant throughout the change from dipping tobacco to vaping. As UncleRJ posted, I can have my cake (sweet dessert flavored vape) and eat it too, just without the sugar spike.
Since diabetics react differently to different foods (beans in a salad kept my sugars above 126 until I removed them) your friend just needs to realize her/his tastebuds are coming back around and the first things that taste better are carbs.
Not sure when your friend started vaping, but hydrating above a daily level is a must for me as vaping makes me thirsty and the artificial sweeteners in the e-juice create a desire for me to want to eat (that's just me I'm referring to).

I controlled my diabetes by dropping weight, eating a low carb lifestyle and doing my 30 minutes of daily exercise. Have your friend do those bigger changes before believing ejuice is gonna keep his diabetes in check. My .02 cents.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I'm 49, type2, using no meds to control blood sugar with an A1C (3 month blood sugar percentile average) of 5.8. I've been vaping for 1yr. 3 months and was diagnosed late 2012. FWIW, I don't see any spikes in my daily glucometer check from vaping and my A1C has been constant throughout the change from dipping tobacco to vaping. As UncleRJ posted, I can have my cake (sweet dessert flavored vape) and eat it too, just without the sugar spike.
Since diabetics react differently to different foods (beans in a salad kept my sugars above 126 until I removed them) your friend just needs to realize her/his tastebuds are coming back around and the first things that taste better are carbs.
Not sure when your friend started vaping, but hydrating above a daily level is a must for me as vaping makes me thirsty and the artificial sweeteners in the e-juice create a desire for me to want to eat (that's just me I'm referring to).

I controlled my diabetes by dropping weight, eating a low carb lifestyle and doing my 30 minutes of daily exercise. Have your friend do those bigger changes before believing ejuice is gonna keep his diabetes in check. My .02 cents.
Great post, though I'm sorry to hear of your Diabetes, you sound like you're being responsible for your health, and have made changes, rather than sit and do nothing. That's truly commendable.

OP, I'm guessing you're familiar with the glycemic index, if not google and find some easy reading and a chart. The lower the number, the less impact on blood sugar. Polyol's generally aren't completely metabolized, and inhalation I'd think would lessen the amounts further. I base a lot of my nutrition by the G.I., regarding what carbs I'll eat and when, so I'm gonna look this up and see if I can find it.

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Just checked, it has a glycemic index of 3, compared to table sugar being 65. It is less sweet than sugar, but curiously is more calorically dense. Don't know about inhalation, but, 3 on the G.I. Is nothing. My non educated self would gues that VG is not the issue. At least not directly.

Great post, though I'm sorry to hear of your Diabetes, you sound like you're being responsible for your health, and have made changes, rather than sit and do nothing. That's truly commendable.

OP, I'm guessing you're familiar with the glycemic index, if not google and find some easy reading and a chart. The lower the number, the less impact on blood sugar. Polyol's generally aren't completely metabolized, and inhalation I'd think would lessen the amounts further. I base a lot of my nutrition by the G.I., regarding what carbs I'll eat and when, so I'm gonna look this up and see if I can find it.

Actually, it has been a blessing in disguise! I get to see what happens to people when it goes unmonitored (I work in the fire service) and this keeps me honest no matter how much others around me are eating and drinking whatever they want. I just didn't understand how to change my WOE (Way of Eating) until I read almost anything I could get my hands on. I apply the same determination of learning to my vaping, hence why I'm here on VU learning from all your FOG's. :)

All the best to the OP in his search to help his/her friend to vape and control his D!

kingworm

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
i know a little about this phenomenon. vg metabolizes into a sugar in your body but very small amounts. but if your lungs are capable of absorbing said sugar it can lead to a artificial spike in blood sugar. this is because the membrane of the lung is used to oxygenate the blood so the sugar can go to your blood stream undigested. as far as im aware though your body cannot use this sugar and it is filtered out. so if the reading is high i wouldnt worry if it starts negatively effecting the body is when its time to worry.

I've been Vaping for a year. I am a diabetic type 2. I always used a tobacco flavor 12mg nicotine. My blood glucose level always stayed low with my metformin and glimperide. So low that sometimes/everyday I would have to drink a coke to pick it up. One week ago today I bought a delicious sweet flavor
(The Revolution) the last 4 days (when I noticed it) my sugar has been out of control 300+ even taking an extra glimperide tablet everytime I ck it. That's the only thing that I have done differently!
Guess I will go back to tobacco flavor :-(

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I've been Vaping for a year. I am a diabetic type 2. I always used a tobacco flavor 12mg nicotine. My blood glucose level always stayed low with my metformin and glimperide. So low that sometimes/everyday I would have to drink a coke to pick it up. One week ago today I bought a delicious sweet flavor
(The Revolution) the last 4 days (when I noticed it) my sugar has been out of control 300+ even taking an extra glimperide tablet everytime I ck it. That's the only thing that I have done differently!
Guess I will go back to tobacco flavor :-(

Mind if I ask just how much of this e-Liquid you actually vaped in 4 days?

Hey,
My boyfriend has diabetes still he smokes a lot. I am just concerned about him and curious to know that whether this habit affect his health or not?
I love him and don't want to lose him like this. Please, help me.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Hey,
My boyfriend has diabetes still he smokes a lot. I am just concerned about him and curious to know that whether this habit affect his health or not?
He should follow the recommendations of his Dr.

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hey,
Your boyfriend smokes?...or Vapes?

When I smoked my A1C was 6.5...1.5 years later it's 5.6 vaping, basically normal. I just take metformin twice a day and eat healthy.

I actually don't have diabetes, I had a portion of my pancreas removed, my pancreas doesn't produce enough insulin. Guess you could call it diabetes, some doctors do, others don't....but vaping saved my life by getting off the smokes.

My glucose does not rise vaping 100% VG and 6mg nicotine, so in my case it's a win win.

Pastorfuzz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I know this is an old post but I need to chime in on my experience.
Been vaping for 1 year after I quit smoking. I drive a truck here in the states and must take a DOT physical every 2 years.
I went to renew my physical last week and my blood glucose was 279 mgl. WOW! Failed the test.
Couldn't figure out why it was that high. A friend of mine who vapes told me to stop vaping for a couple of days.
I vape the custards and donuts flavors. he told me that was the problem.
So, I stopped for 2 days and retook my test. 117mgl. After I passed the test I started the vape again. The next day my glucose was 198mgl. Too high.
I am not a doctor but I didn't eat anything for 8 hours prior to these tests and drink plenty of water.
In conclusion, Vaping affects my glucose levels. I am staying of the sweet stuff and getting some tobacco flavor.

Pastorfuzz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
I am going to vape until this weekend and take another glucose reading.
If it's still high, I'm going to stop vaping for a few days and check it again.
I'm sure every person has a different reaction. I'll post again after my results.

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I am pre-diabetic. I check my blood every morning and usually sit around 90-120. I've gone gluten free, keep my refined sugar to a minimum and try to eat a healthy diet. Vaping, as far as I can figure, has never affected my blood sugar....and I vape a LOT of bakeries, creams....every body is different.

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
If you vape high VG sugar levels are going up !!! VG has a high sugar level..... It's all natural palm sweetner......

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk
Something I'll have to keep an eye on, especially if I go full diabetic. No problems yet, crossing fingers....

inspects

Squonkamaniac
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Your boyfriend smokes?...or Vapes?

When I smoked my A1C was 6.5...1.5 years later it's 5.6 vaping, basically normal. I just take metformin twice a day and eat healthy.

I actually don't have diabetes, I had a portion of my pancreas removed, my pancreas doesn't produce enough insulin. Guess you could call it diabetes, some doctors do, others don't....but vaping saved my life by getting off the smokes.

My glucose does not rise vaping 100% VG and 6mg nicotine, so in my case it's a win win.
Reporting back from my previous post, my last A1C test was 5.1, basically non-diabetic, but I've changed my eating habits drastically, but not my vaping habit.....:)

Cloudy Peak Vapes

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Really interesting to read. It just goes to show how much our own bodies can differ medically in their responses to certain things. I think there's a lot of potential factors to narrow out besides just flavors... i.e. brands... etc... but if it's having a clear effect on you, that says enough to me. Your body may metabolize VG in a way that others don't. Different sugars metabolize at different rates, though it's really a farce that high fructose corn syrup is worse for you than table sugar... it's not. Just metabolized slightly differently. Your body sees carbohydrates, asks if it can use it now, then stores it as fat if it can't.

This sounds like how some people produce more of certain liver enzymes for instance, which can break down some medicine faster. They need more because of that. We're some complicated creatures.

I hope you find some juices you enjoy that don't screw up your numbers... Good Luck!

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
I've been Hypoglycemic my whole life... hasn't changed my numbers at all.

VU Sponsors