Become a Patron!

Desire Mad Mod 108W TC Kit with M-Tank

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi Vaping Underground members, In this review i take a look at the Mad Mod 108W TC Kit with M-Tank from Desire Design. The Mad Mod 108W TC Kit with M-Tank was supplied for the purpose of this review by Kristina from Desire Design.

http://www.desiredesign.com/index.php/pr...id/47.html

Introduction

This is the second Desire Design device i have looked at recently, the other the X-Mini was also an 108W device hosting the exact same chip as the Mad Mod. The X-Mini is very nicely designed but is a very large size for a single battery device, the Mad Mod is a much slimmer device more suited than the X-Mini for using when your out and about.

In the Box

Contents:

1x Mad Mod
1x M-Tank with pre-installed 0.4ohm coil
1x 0.15ohm Regular Coil
1x USB Cable
1x 18650 battery adapter
1x Manual
1x Glass Tube
1x Accessory Pack

Aesthetics and Ergonomics

The Mad Mod is a slim but quite tall device which i found quite nice to carry and use when out and about. It's very boxed shape almost retro in it's simple design but the edges around the sides are rounded making it comfortable to hold around the body of the device. However the edges around the top and base haven't been rounded, they are not sharp but quite uncomfortable if you wrap your hands around these places on the device. I received the Black version which came with a Black M Tank, the kit is also available in Silver, Red, Purple, and Blue. One side of the device has "MAD" in raised lettering the same colour as the device, the word takes up the entire side, the opposite side and spine of the device is featureless. The front of the device has a round Silver fire button towards the top, towards the bottom we have side by side round Silver buttons which are the left and right buttons, underneath these is a micro USB port. Housed centrally on the front of the device we have the 0.96" OLED screen, the Silver base of the device is the battery hatch and has an opening/closing catch, there is also branding and safety stamps. Finally moving to the Silver top of the device we have a central air fed 510 plate with Gold plated, spring loaded 510. The device is solidly built and has no rattles whatsoever.

Mad Mod 108W TC Kit Specs and Features:

M-Tank
Size: 25mm x 53.5mm
Capacity: 3.0ml
Thread: 510
Mad Mod
Size: 96.2mm x 37mm x 25mm
Battery: Single 21700/18650 battery
Multi-function adjust mode: VW/TC-NI/TC-TI/TC-SS/TCR/PMG(Power Multiple Graph)modes
Power adjustment range: 5W-108W
Resistance range: 0.08ohm-3.0ohm
Output voltage: 0-8V
Output current: 35A
Screen: 0.96-inch OLED
Easy slipper top refill
Adjustable bottom airflow
Maximum output of 108W
Various battery protection
1A charging
Firmware upgradeable
Rebound battery cover design
Thread: 510
Colours: Silver, Red, Purple, Black, Blue

M Tank Overview

The M Tank is a subohm tank with what is described has a slipper top-cap which is slid back to reveal your fill port. essentially there is a section of the top-cap that is sloped with a textured surface, pushing this section slides the centre section of the top-cap back, the two static sides of the top-cap act as rails. The tank i find aesthetically pleasing due to the sleeve with cutouts that fits over the glass, the front has a circular "M" design with cutouts, the back has a cutout of the Desire Design logo and on either side the word "DESIRE" is cutout on the vertical. The tank unscrews very easily and both the glass and sleeve slide off with no hastles. The coil screws into the base and then when you screw the tank together it screws onto the air pipe. The coils do look to be mainstream size and i did fit a Wotofo Flow coil into the M Tank and it was a perfect fit. The 2 coils supplied are a 0.4 rated at 35w - 55w and a 0.15 coil rated at 50w - 90w. I used the M Tank on the Mad Mod with the Wotofo 0.25 coil at 45W which is were the sweet spot is for me and the supplied 0.4 coil which again i found best at 45W and i found the Desire coil edged it for flavour which surprised me. The airflow is smooth and wide open is a slightly restrictive lung hit i preferred it 2 thirds open.

Fitting the battery

The Mad Mod takes a single 21700 or a single 18650 (with supplied adaptor). The battery door is found on the base of the device where you will see a large catch that you pull back and the spring loaded door springs open. The battery orientation is clearly marked inside the compartment but orientation on the door is tiny and Black on Black which is something that really frustrates me. When shutting the hatch the catch doesn't close by it'self which some people will not like but you have to physically move the catch to the closed position. The door is sturdy and personally i don't mind having to physically close the catch has my view is if i need to physically open and close the catch it isn't going to open by accident.

Review Continued Below:

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Review Continued:

Using the Mad Mod

The Mad Mod is a very simple device to use having the bare minimal features to operate fully in power and temperature control modes. Turning the device on and off is 5 clicks of the fire button and once on you are met with a bright screen which i had no problems seeing outside. The display has a battery status bar top left, next to this it displays Mad and the Desire Design logo. Below this we have a highlight strip which accommodates the mode you are in, underneath is your wattage or temperature when in temp control. Below we have a chevron shape highlight section that displays the voltage or wattage when in temp control. Finally at the bottom of the screen we have the subpara to the left and resistance to the right. To change mode is 3 clicks of the fire button which will cause your current mode to flash, now pressing the right button alters the display to a different mode with each click. The modes are VW, TC Ni, TC Ti, TC SS, TCR Memory slot and Power Curve. When in variable wattage clicking the fire button 3 times will as already explained cause the mode to flash but if you press left instead of right it will now cause the subpara to flash so you can choose between puffs or amps. When in temp control clicking the fire button 3 times and then pressing left will cause the wattage to flash allowing you to adjust wattage for temp control, pressing left again moves as in variable wattage mode to the subpara which again can be altered. When in a mode with nothing flashing pressing the left and right buttons alters your wattage or temperature when in temp control. There are some combination key presses, right and left together locks and unlocks the keys but the device will fire and finally right and fire together locks the resistance. The menu on the Mad Mod is a big pro as i fail to see how it could be made any easier to use.

Performance

As with most devices of late i couldn't notice any delay and the fire button has a satisfying click. I have no idea if the device with a single battery does the full 108W but it certainly seemed accurate on all the wattage's i tried, i used the device with the M tank at 45w, the VGod pro at 60w and the Galaxies at 18w. As ever i don't do temp control so although i have heard nothing negative about the device in temp control if that's how you vape you need to sort out further information. I did find the battery life very good for a single battery device with the X-Mini so as expected with the Mad Mod hosting the same chip the life was equally as good. The Mad Mod will accommodate a 25mm tank flush, supports 1A charging and is fully firmware upgradeable.

Conclusion

If you don't mind the edges around the top and base or the raised "MAD" down one side of the device i found the Mad Mod a reliable single battery device that performed well in wattage mode and a nice size to carry when your out and about.

Solid built device no rattles whtsoever
Battery door very secure
Custom power curve
Temp control
Very simple menu system
Performed well in power mode for me
All buttons clicky
Very bright screen
21700 or 18650 battery
Good battery life (relative to single battery device)
M Tank very aesthetically pleasing
M Tank 0.4ohm coil gave very good stock coil flavour
On board 1A charging
Firmware upgradeable.

Dislikes

Black on Black battery orientation
Edges on top and base of device haven't been rounded off
Tanks over 25mm will overhang
No larger capacity option for tank only 3ml

Subjective

The raised "MAD" down one side will appeal to somepeople while others will dislike it.
The Very Boxed shape again won't be for everyone.

I would once again like to thank Kristina from Desire Design for supplying the Mad Mod 108W TC Kit with M-Tank for the purpose of this review.

http://www.desiredesign.com/index.php/pr...id/47.html

VU Sponsors