Become a Patron!

Desire Mad Dog RDTA MECH Kit

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi Vaping Underground members, In this review i take a look at the Mad Dog RDTA MECH Kit from Desire Design. The Mad Dog RDTA MECH Kit was supplied for the purpose of this review by Kristina from Desire Design.

http://www.desiredesign.com/index.php/pr...id/52.html

Safety

Most people reading this will know as much about ohms law and safety as me but i still need to have this section because there's always one. Please only get this device if you both understand and follow ohms law in respect to the continuous amp capability of your battery. Always check battery wraps and re-wrap if needed, only use atty's that are hybrid safe, don't use atty's that build decks are such that you can from time to time get a short with your build and finally always check your builds resistance on a tab or accurate device before fitting your atty to the device. I personaly when using a mech use a Sony VTC5a battery and never go below 0.2 resistance.

In the Box

Contents:

1x Mad Dog RDTA
1x Mechanical Mod (no cell)
2x Glass Tube
1x Bag of Accessories (Base, O-rings, Screws, Hexagonal Wrench)

Aesthetics and Ergonomics

The Mad Dog RDTA Mech Kit comes in cardboard packaging with a flip lid, which works very well but the design on the Box is probably best left not described. I know someone who has a coloured version of the Kit which is on the light side but the Gold plated version i received is somewhat heavier and has more of an high end look. As well as the Gold plated version i received it's also available Silver plated or in the following colours, Black, Red, Purple and Blue, all the colour versions have Gold plated accents at the base and between the glass and sleeve of the RDTA. The version i received is completely Gold in colour with a nice grooved cutout section to fit nicely with the contours of the hand. At the base we have etched branding and 4 small venting holes. The glass between the mod and the top section of the RDTA breaks the colour up aesthetically and does on mine look slightly tinted but it's just all that Gold plating reflecting off it. The sleeve has dual side airflow slots and "MAD DOG" deeply engraved in very fancy font. The mod also has high quality engraving which is all branding. The drip-tip is an ultem Goon style 810 and that's pretty much it. Like i said i do know someone with a coloured version which he loves but the Gold plated version just looks better and feels just a bit heavier, that's not to say the coloured versions are not well made they just feel slightly lighter. All the threading is spot on and the ergonomic feel when using is excellent.

Mad Dog RDTA Mech Kit Specs and Features:

Mad Dog Mech Mod.
Dimensions: 89 mm x 25 mm (tube mod only).
Battery: Single 18650 (not included).
Material: 304 Stainless Steel | Gold-plating | “Aeronautical material”.
Spring-loaded magnetic firing button with screw-lock.
Hybrid top cap only.
Mad Dog RTDA:
Dimensions (non-adjustable 510 base): 24 mm x 47 mm (without drip tip) 53.2 mm (inc. drip tip).
Dimensions (hybrid connection): 24 mm x 36.5 mm (without drip tip) 42.3 mm (inc. drip tip).
Capacity: 7 mL
ULTEM drip tip (10 mm inner diameter | 16 mm outer diameter).
Gold-plated 304 stainless steel build deck.
Central split-post deck design.
Bottom-fed airflow.
Airflow holes: 2.4 mm x 8.3 mm.
Colours: Black, Red, Purple, Blue, Silver plated, Gold plated

The Mad Dog RDTA

The RDTA comes pre-fitted to the mech as an AIO purpose made kit, the glass fits onto the top of the mech held in place with an o-ring which is fitted to the perimeter of the top of the mech. It's an hybrid connection with no other option and the 510 on the base of the central RDTA tube has an o-ring fitted which once screwed onto the mech gives a seal so no liquid will enter the inside of the tube and onto your battery. The kit also comes with a base that can be fitted to the Mad Dog RDTA so it can be fitted independently onto other devices, but a word of warning when the base is fitted the 510 barely protrudes so don't be tempted to fit this base to use on the Mad Dog or any other Hybrid mech. When you pull the sleeve off you will see a very large side filling port which i'm a big fan of and the tank holds 7ml of liquid.

The Airflow

When you take the sleeve off and look inside it you will see rather than being held in place with o-rings the sleeve has a large area of silicone coating which is a bit different but works well but i did notice if you allow e-juice to lubricate it too much it does start to get over loose (nothing a quick wipe doesn't solve). The deck has a vertical ramp each side on the outside which gets lined up with the airflow slots on the sleeve. Yes it looks like side airflow but how low the slots are with the angle of the ramps really it's bottom and side airflow. The only other thing to mention is if you look inside the sleeve you can see it's nicely domed to give flavour an helping hand.

Review Continued Below:

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Review Continued:

The Deck

Very simple design and easy build, there is what is suppose to be a blocker fitted allowing for a single build but it just bungs the 2 redundant juice ports and doesn't block the airflow from that side so in my opinion this is far better just using as a dual coil RDTA. There are 2 central posts that span the diameter of the deck, each post has just one large post hole with 2 screws but there are 2 nice sized grooves at the bottom of the holes so your wire legs just slot in place. So just position your coils with legs in the grooves and fasten down the good quality Hex screws. Now just manipulate your coils into the exact position you want them then wicking is just a matter of poking your cotton ends through the juice ports on the deck.

The Switch

I like the magnetic switch design with locking mechanism which can be adjusted to get just the right amount of throw you like. To lock the switch simply screw in and you can no longer fire the switch, unscrewing it then releases it and turn until you get the throw you want. Looking at the switch section when you unscrew it from the tube it has a spring loaded floating adjustment to fit snug to the battery so no battery rattle. With the switch unscrewed you can see the inside of the tube (this includes the inner of the top where the 510 threads are) has a non metallic coating which is good to see but still don't let this tempt you into using a battery with a damaged wrap. the venting on the device i wouldn't say over concerns me as it is present but i would of liked to have seen more generous venting.

Removing RDTA After Use

I do like the way the RDTA is set on the battery tube as an AIO device but the downside is you need to make sue it's completely drained of e-liquid before removing. In fact when i cleaned this up after testing before packing it away i first removed the battery, then drained completely and even then unscrewed the RDTA while holding the tube upside down, i really didn't want any juice getting inside the tube.

My Experience Using the Mad Dog RDTA Kit

First thing is i do like using a mech with a fresh battery but it's more about the different feel of a switch and i find them very aesthetically pleasing but then i don't like the drop off and i just think there's a lot of reasons why using a regulated device is a better alternative. As i have already mentioned I do like the design of the switch and the locking mechanism works really well but i would like it a bit stiffer when firing, it just seams very little resistance when firing which some might like but many like me won't. I like the RDTA big time but only as a dual build, the coils are definitely getting both bottom and side airflow and the flavour is very decent indeed, there's plenty of air which normally would have me closing it down slightly but it's so smooth i really enjoyed vaping with it fully open.

Pros

Feels and looks quality
Aesthetically pleasing
Excellent ergonomics
Smooth Airflow
Bottom and side coverage
Very decent flavour
Side-fill
7ml capacity
Screws straight onto mod
Includes base to use RDTA independently
Includes 3 glass tubes
Easy build
Lock mechanism
Floating battery adjustment

Cons

Switch very little resistance
Would like better venting
Need to fully drain of juice before removing RDTA
Included RDTA base when used not hybrid safe

Not For Beginners

Once again i can't state strongly enough do not even consider this or any mechanical device unless you understand and follow ohms law and are fully aware of battery safety and follow battery safety, in regards using only a suitable battery which is in perfect condition.

I would once again like to thank Kristina from Desire Design for supplying the Mad Dog RDTA MECH Kit for the purpose of this review.

http://www.desiredesign.com/index.php/pr...id/52.html

VU Sponsors