Become a Patron!

Dented 18650

Vapin-Dave

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So I have been rotating two LG HG2s in my eVic VTC Dual. (Single battery compartment.) I noticed a few weeks ago that one of the batteries had the slightest tear in the plastic beside the positive terminal. After some searching online I heard that these could be re-wrapped and/or taped. I got a small piece of electrical tape (like a couple millimeters) and covered the tiny spot that had come loose.

A buddy gave me one of his new 18650 batteries (same type) so I started using it and kept the one with the piece of tape on as a backup. The other day I noticed a very very slight dent in the positive end of one of the 18650s I'm currently using. I'm not sure if it's the one I got from my buddy or not. I'd try to get a pic but it's not obvious at all you really have to look for it. I've been still using it because the dent is so minor but am wondering if I should be.

I realize that battery safety is very important however am I being too cautious? Are both batteries - small piece of tape and barely noticeable dent - still safe to use or should I be replacing them? I want to be careful not paranoid. :rolleyes:

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
There are extremes. You can set off a thermal runaway by crushing a battery, but a minor dent in the battery negative I wouldn't sweat about.

skiball

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I don't really worry about dents to much. The rip in the wrap could cause an issue but electrical tape is a good fix. I'd just wrap the tape all the way around the battery so you know it won't peel off.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk

Vapin-Dave

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
OK ... Thanks for the replies. I figured they were still fine to use but thought I should get some experienced opinions. :cool:

VU Sponsors