Become a Patron!

Day 10 of my vape tongue torment...

John C

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I know it seems silly to most people, but I am going through 9-10 days so far of vape tongue and it's really bummed me out. I know, there is hunger in the world, war etc...but in my little bubble I call my life, vaping the many flavors i have is one of my favorite little sources of everyday joy. And I can barely taste them.

Some days it's 50% flavor...some days I can't taste anything. Can't taste my DIY creations, my NET tobacco juices...nothing.

The past couple days I've tried to stick to vaping exclusively unflavored juice to try to reset my nose. And I don't have any misguided ideas -- it's the nose at play here, not the tongue. Olfactory fatigue. And it's pissing me off to no end! :mad::(:eek:

Can anyone who has had multi-day or multi-week vape tongue tell me what, if anything, helped you get over it? Is it a day or two of JUST unflavored juice vaping?

The typical "solutions" online really tend to focus on the completely wrong body part and suggest mouthwash, coffee grounds etc. So I think it's just TIME...but it's so aggravating.

John C

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
And what's also baffling me is that on average I vape between 10-20 different flavors every day on drippers. I mean I take one puff, drip another flavor, puff...another, puff...etc. :(

BadLuckAndTrouble

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
When I started sub ohming and wanted to go all out all the time after about 2 weeks I had a similar experience and nothing truly helped all that much. I used a netty pot (sp) and it may have helped slightly.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I know it seems silly to most people, but I am going through 9-10 days so far of vape tongue and it's really bummed me out. I know, there is hunger in the world, war etc...but in my little bubble I call my life, vaping the many flavors i have is one of my favorite little sources of everyday joy. And I can barely taste them.

Some days it's 50% flavor...some days I can't taste anything. Can't taste my DIY creations, my NET tobacco juices...nothing.

The past couple days I've tried to stick to vaping exclusively unflavored juice to try to reset my nose. And I don't have any misguided ideas -- it's the nose at play here, not the tongue. Olfactory fatigue. And it's pissing me off to no end! :mad::(:eek:

Can anyone who has had multi-day or multi-week vape tongue tell me what, if anything, helped you get over it? Is it a day or two of JUST unflavored juice vaping?

The typical "solutions" online really tend to focus on the completely wrong body part and suggest mouthwash, coffee grounds etc. So I think it's just TIME...but it's so aggravating.
Did you vape Habanero? if not try burning your taste buds numb.. I know its sounds crazy I do it twice a week that way I do not have vape tongue.. I just cant taste anything for a few hours then overnight its all comes back to normal.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
How about a menthol vape?
When I have a cold I pick up a fruit menthol... forgot what it is, been a while since I had a cold but its a melon or watermelon with a menthol to it and that is the one and only juice that I can taste.

I know it's a different issue but maybe a menthol to the vape could help?

Vaping straight vg/pg/nic makes the most sense though, just to let your taste-factory take a break.

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
And what's also baffling me is that on average I vape between 10-20 different flavors every day on drippers. I mean I take one puff, drip another flavor, puff...another, puff...etc. :(

I've experienced vaper's tounge too, however switching between flavors regularly is what I found eliminated it for me o_O

I thought fq06's idea about vaping unflavored nic base for a day was a very good one, but you've already tried that and I think it didn't work either.

If this happened to me I would continue vaping unflavored juice until the VT relents. I know this doesn't help much, but it's all I've got :(

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I second the hot pepper trick. It has worked for me. I just eat spicy salsa and chips.

I've never tried this, but I've heard other people say it helped them too. It's worth a shot, he's got nothing to loose.

I have some ground red chili pepper in the kitchen that I tried the other day. One wet finger tip of it almost brought tears to my eyes. I would upload some but my pepper port on the computer isn't installed :)

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Never really had it for more than a a short while.
But I eat 50-100k sku stuff daily.

Try a swish of pickle juice, Tried that once but it was the clausen hot pickles.

VapeRN

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Run down to your local pharmacy and grab this stuff. Follow directions and rinse sinuses. It's a very gentle formula, even more so than pure saline. Works wonders for all nose problems.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446040211.319990.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CaptNutz

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Man I ate some Korean Kim chi and took a vape that was one spicy vape.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

CorallineAlgae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Man I ate some Korean Kim chi and took a vape that was one spicy vape.

I've been making homemade kim chi for a long time. It's great stuff. If somebody can't taste (or especially smell) kim chi it must be serious.
I've often heard that taking a whiff of ground coffee a couple of times a day can sometimes help reset the olfactory system. That may be worth a shot, along with drinking lots of water and using saline spray. I keep saline spray on hand. It's good for more than vape tongue.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I've been making homemade kim chi for a long time. It's great stuff. If somebody can't taste (or especially smell) kim chi it must be serious.
I've often heard that taking a whiff of ground coffee a couple of times a day can sometimes help reset the olfactory system. That may be worth a shot, along with drinking lots of water and using saline spray. I keep saline spray on hand. It's good for more than vape tongue.
I did a super garlic loaded kim chi.. the stuff is FUNKY but oh so good.
With how ill I have been kim chi + siracha is like eating nothing.

CaptNutz

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Very good

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Run down to your local pharmacy and grab this stuff. Follow directions and rinse sinuses. It's a very gentle formula, even more so than pure saline. Works wonders for all nose problems.

View attachment 32033

hahaha you want him to Sinus rinse his tongue? hahaha that is funny I imagine it will work

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Last time I had the same problem I switched to unflavored while sucking candy.
It's not the same but at least it's something.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Time. That's the only thing that works for me. It's irritating as I spend a week wondering if my DIY sucks and then out of nowhere I can taste it again.

No rhyme or reason to it for me. It comes and it goes.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
hahaha you want him to Sinus rinse his tongue? hahaha that is funny I imagine it will work
His tongue? No. Nasal passages. They get dried out and irritated from vaping. Saline nasal spray used somewhat regularly really does help.

VapeRN

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
His tongue? No. Nasal passages. They get dried out and irritated from vaping. Saline nasal spray used somewhat regularly really does help.

Thanks Huck. Believe it or not, most 'taste' problems don't have much to do with your tongue at all. Your tongue can only taste sour, bitter, sweet, salty, and umami. The complex flavors comes from the odor molecules traveling up to your nose. This is precisely why when you have a head cold and stuffy nose, you can't taste your food. Olfactory fatigue is the culprit in Vapor's Tongue, and is often overlooked.

The ex smokers among us had olfactory fatigue for years, we couldn't smell the stink of cigarettes on us. Now, after vaping, a smoker smells disgusting and that's the TRUTH.

Take care of your nose and sinuses and your taste buds will cooperate.

CaptNutz

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Tell him agan!

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
If nothing else is working it might be best to scrub out your mouth with Epson Salt or maybe Kerosense
You know an old farmer told me one time "Kerosene its the best medicine every made"

CaptNutz

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Just had some pho and alot of hot sauce my mouth is still kinda numb so I took a vape Man was that one spicy vape!

John C

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Guys, thank you all for your replies! Just now seeing them. Im still not 100% over my VT. I will say for the most part I am 90%-95% back most of the time. And it was due, in my opinion, to vaping unflavored juice some of the time. Basically I vaped a whole session with just unflavored one night. Next morning, I noticed I had some taste back. So I tried a bit more, and so on. By the second or third day, I was getting to where I felt "back." Was VERY happy.

Now, before every one of my vaping sessions, I vape about 3-5 good hits of just unflavored juice. In my mind it seems to give me tongue/nose some perspective and makes the flavors I hit after that pop out a bit more.

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I had same thing. For 2 weeks I could not taste a thing. I tried all of the above remedies and nothing worked. I also had a cold which I think exacerbated things greatly. I just vaped all the stuff I had that tasted like shit. I got rid of a lot of bad juice without having to taste it. The only thing I can say that helped was drink plenty of water and this to shall pass.

Last edited:

Pax

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
As many people have stated, there are a number of "treatments" that may or may not have an effect. I went thru the same VT "crisis" about a month in to vaping after smoking for 45 years. I went thru the sense of taste and smell down time trying everything that has already been mentioned. I have to assume that part of the reason was the "waking up" of those senses after a period of regrowth of the tissue and sensors in my olfactory system. It would appear that patience is the best remedy. You read about many who go thru this and most come back after a week or more stating that it resolved itself. I guess, as many other has stated, "this too will pass".

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Oh yes, I hardly put more salt on anything other than Margaritas.

Sent from my LGMS345 using Tapatalk

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Sea salt is a favorite of mine. Kosher salt is good also. I had a 3 lb brick from a tour I did in a salt mine, but I lost it. Like 5 bucks. Really cool how they mine it.

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Sea salt is a favorite of mine. Kosher salt is good also. I had a 3 lb brick from a tour I did in a salt mine, but I lost it. Like 5 bucks. Really cool how they mine it.
Oh I know, love the ink for the mineral content.
None of that yellow cake garbage added in it.

Found a place that has ground pink or not ground for like 1.50 lbs.

VAPEROXX

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor

View attachment 32033

My allergist gave me this product, for allergies and vapers tongue. Unfortunately it did nothing for either...

CaptNutz

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hope you feel better

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you want it, Aloe Vera pulp, juice & Honey on the tongue works wonders. And you can swallow it. Good for humans.

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If nothing else is working it might be best to scrub out your mouth with Epson Salt or maybe Kerosense
You know an old farmer told me one time "Kerosene its the best medicine every made"
In that vein. turpentine is great for worming yer animals.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I got some castor oil as a kid. Dont know about the rest. Petroleum products should be checked out before using.

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Hey John, some viral infections like flu can impair your sense of smell and taste
and some flu meds like Zicam and Theraflu can cause parosmia and knock out your sense of smell
temporarily and in some instances permanently.

Your problem is probably only vapor's tongue either from over doing the vaping
or saturating your taste buds with flavor. You say when you vape plain juice
you can then taste/smell, you're cleaning your taste buds with the unflavored plain juice.

If I was you I'd make sure I haven't taken any flu meds and stop vaping for a few days,
also supplement your diet with selenium.

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I got some castor oil as a kid. Dont know about the rest. Petroleum products should be checked out before using.

Castor oil will clean his taste buds and his guts at the same time. It's good shit, man.
Palma Christi is a cure all prescribed by the sleeping prophet Edgar Cayce
and I'll swear by the stuff.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I see no humor in discomfort. My skills are what I have shared.

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Palma Christi or castor oil would likely be a good mouthwash for vaper's tongue
because it draws crap out of cells
It's organic too:
Ricinus communis, the castor oil plant, is a species of flowering plant in the spurge family, Euphorbiaceae. It is the sole species in the monotypic genus, Ricinus, and subtribe.
Palma Christi means palm of Christ...

Aloe is excellent for vaper's lip burn or any other kind of burn, and as you mentioned you can swallow it.
Good for the skin, stomach (inside) all kinds of stuff. You can get the juice in bottles at GNC

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Someone feels the need to question my old ass. My English is passible thru 6 professors. Lets party.

HazyShades

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Someone feels the need to question my old ass. My English is passible thru 6 professors. Lets party.

Old asses are good, when yer truck breaks down and your bike won't start
you can pile all your shit on 'em and carry on.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Aloe Vera is what I have used mixed with honey. Linger it on your tongue as you can. It does work very well. When you get up. When you go to bed.

VU Sponsors