Become a Patron!

Daily Check-In Thread

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
So still here and still breathing correctly. Dad had his Physical Therapist come and his heart rate is low. So to prevent him needing a Hospital Visit waiting for the Doctor to call and making him exercise every 15-30 minutes. I guess this will keep me busy today checking his heart rate and making him walk.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
OK, so Doctor called to adjust his medications and my busting his balls to get up and walk around plus some exercises in his chair, his heart rate is almost normal. I really could do without this kind of keep busy task if you feel me~!

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Checking all good on the homefront today

Last night was a different story..
We lost power around 2330, from a big storm that blew throug. 70mph wind gusts here. At my MIL who lives a little south of us, they clocked 101mph gust.
Several tornadoes apparently touched down just south of us as well

Evidently some downed trees knocked out our power until around 0330. Long night but oddly enjoyable.

I think we may be about to get your storm. It is looking and sounding terrible outside. Hubbs barely got back here with the groceries and got them in before the bottom fell out. Then it stopped for a while and now it's starting up again.

The power was just off for most of a day late last week. I hope it doesn't go off again. It takes forever here for them to get things repaired. We're rural and on the end of a line that no businesses use, so we are always at the bottom of the priority list.

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
I think we may be about to get your storm. It is looking and sounding terrible outside. Hubbs barely got back here with the groceries and got them in before the bottom fell out. Then it stopped for a while and now it's starting up again.

The power was just off for most of a day late last week. I hope it doesn't go off again. It takes forever here for them to get things repaired. We're rural and on the end of a line that no businesses use, so we are always at the bottom of the priority list.
We are doing good. Lovely day here in our town. This time of year is always our best weather wise.
Speaking of power and being at the bottom of the priority list we know about that one here.
Where I am in the country our part of the state are low priority too. We have had power stations closed in Victoria and nothing new made due to a mad climate change policy here. This means in summer when peak load times hit with temps in the high 30,s to 40,s celcius there is power sharing. This means that because our power supply is now inadequate and unable to cope and deliver to the entire state population in these peak load times that certain areas get power shut down to them for several hours. Shared. But that is not true in reality. To supply Melbourne and its suburbs more constantly the small insignificant towns like ours in the north central and north western part of the state get constantly shut down during heatwaves to keep the supply going for Melbourne. It was happening to us several times a week over the summer just gone. The real load sharing is these, our, small towns getting shut down in the load share, so these parts of the state are the ones having it done to them, not the whole as people think and are told.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
LMAO
Being an old phart techno nerd I just had to post this about the greatest country in the world.
Wanted urgently: People who know a half century-old computer language so states can process unemployment claims

On top of ventilators, face masks and health care workers, you can now add COBOL programmers to the list of what several states urgently need as they battle the coronavirus pandemic.

COBOL, which stands for Common Business Oriented Language, is a computer programming language that was developed back in 1959, according to the National Museum of American History.

"It's a programming language that was used to create a very significant percentage of business systems over the period of the 60s, 70s and even into the 80s," Joseph Steinberg, an expert on cybersecurity, told CNN.
But over time, coders have moved away from the aging language.
"The general population of COBOL programmers is generally much older than the average age of a coder," Steinberg said. "Many American universities have not taught COBOL in their computer science programs since the 1980s."

Despite a dwindling number of COBOL programmers, a 2017 report by Reuters found that there are still 220 billion lines of COBOL in use today. 43% of banking systems are built on COBOL and 95% percent of ATM swipes rely on COBOL code.
Even in the federal government, COBOL is being used in agencies such as the Department of Veterans Affairs, Department of Justice and Social Security Administration, according to a 2016 report by the Government Accountability Office.
A 2018 report by the inspector general for the Social Security Administration found that the administration maintained more than "60 million lines of COBOL" with "millions more lines of other legacy programming languages." The inspector general urged the administration to modernize its systems.

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
LMAO
Being an old phart techno nerd I just had to post this about the greatest country in the world.
Wanted urgently: People who know a half century-old computer language so states can process unemployment claims

On top of ventilators, face masks and health care workers, you can now add COBOL programmers to the list of what several states urgently need as they battle the coronavirus pandemic.

COBOL, which stands for Common Business Oriented Language, is a computer programming language that was developed back in 1959, according to the National Museum of American History.

"It's a programming language that was used to create a very significant percentage of business systems over the period of the 60s, 70s and even into the 80s," Joseph Steinberg, an expert on cybersecurity, told CNN.
But over time, coders have moved away from the aging language.
"The general population of COBOL programmers is generally much older than the average age of a coder," Steinberg said. "Many American universities have not taught COBOL in their computer science programs since the 1980s."

Despite a dwindling number of COBOL programmers, a 2017 report by Reuters found that there are still 220 billion lines of COBOL in use today. 43% of banking systems are built on COBOL and 95% percent of ATM swipes rely on COBOL code.
Even in the federal government, COBOL is being used in agencies such as the Department of Veterans Affairs, Department of Justice and Social Security Administration, according to a 2016 report by the Government Accountability Office.
A 2018 report by the inspector general for the Social Security Administration found that the administration maintained more than "60 million lines of COBOL" with "millions more lines of other legacy programming languages." The inspector general urged the administration to modernize its systems.

Well, I had a couple semesters of it a long time ago, but the language I code in is primitive enough. There would have to be a LOT of money involved to get me to write Cobol again. :) Besides which, on IBM mainframes, Cobol doesn't run by itself - you generally also have to know that damn JCL that is incomprehensible to 95% of human beings.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I actually used Cobol in HP mini computers in the mid 70's. That was my last foray into it. Pretty simple and straight forward language.

Now they will really be up the creek if they need ALGOL programmers. I last dabbled just a bit in it in the mid to late 70's as well.

Of course I was first trained on pure machine language, no assembler. With no microprocessors and magnetic core RAM.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

Lay low and stay safe!

muzz

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Another mindless trip to Maine today for bidwalks with 6 other guys...
Corner Office needs that checkmark ya know!
At least there are only two, and they are nowhere near as far up as last week, so I won't have to stay up there...but I will need gas again...
Have a great day, and Stay Safe!

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Still here and tired as all get out this morning. Sleeping a few hours to wake up multiple times during the night is starting to wear on me.

speak-to-me-5b61a5.jpg

ChainVapeS

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Another day under the stay home order. The governor is supposed to announce an extension of that order. The original was going to expire this coming Monday. More staying home in my future.

Wife and I are still healthy.
Playing board games, watching bad tv and running around the yard with the dogs.

Blew out the fluid sac in my left knee cap for the third time now. Bursitis of the knee they call it.
Swelled up like a balloon. Hot to the touch. Hurts like hell. I'll live tho. Been thru it a few times now. I attribute it to the osgood schlatter disease that i have in the same knee. Protruding bone just below the knee cap. Causes extra stress on the fluid sac around that joint. And being a painter of all things house related, I spend a lot of time on my knees and do not wear knee pads.... maybe I'll start wearing them...

Enough bitching.

Hope everyone stays safe and sane out there.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

wildgypsy70

“Widgy Pidgy”
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Good morning, fellow shut-ins!

Still in my pajamas. Lol! Planning on going to the restaurant today to do some cleaning. And a quick trip to the grocery store. Yay. Mr. Gypsy working through the week. He doesn’t seem to be slowing down....he’s a class B contractor. Apparently, people still want cabinets, patios, remodels and repairs done.

Stay safe and sane, fam! Hope everyone is doing alright. :hug::hug:

gopher_byrd

Cranky Old Fart
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Yet another SSDD day.

Our male cat Romeo heard me get up to use the restroom at 2AM and decided that it was time to feed him. Umm, nope, that ain't happening. Ignored him for an hour and finally couldn't take it any longer. 3 freaking AM... He had gotten used to these weird hours when I was driving to the office or to the airport and trying to keep my body on Central time. He just hasn't figured out that 6AM should be closer to normal now that I'm staying on Pacific time. Grrr...

Our county now has 40 cases and 3 deaths. However, my wife and I are still healthy.

Stay safe everyone!

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Good morning VU!

Family is good, we are good... life is...

Respirators arrived yesterday for the wife.

759610fb5f136e1bcea605ca47ab5d94.jpg

I sterilized them with the AF3 Sani Wipes we have 6 tubs of at home (Don't tell Kaiser) let it dry and installed the filters. Then when the wife came home I fitted it to her face.

We have over 1500 cases in San Diego county with 36 deaths sadly... and it will jump to 1800 and 50+ I fear when the new data is published tomorrow.

Be safe everyone.

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Morning

Doing OK

"No proof" that home flu remedies help. But, they never hurt anyone. So continuing with high garlic and single malt consumption.

As well as the recommended stuff, of course.

Hope everyone is well.

DaBunny

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Good morning VU!

Family is good, we are good... life is...

Respirators arrived yesterday for the wife.

759610fb5f136e1bcea605ca47ab5d94.jpg

I sterilized them with the AF3 Sani Wipes we have 6 tubs of at home (Don't tell Kaiser) let it dry and installed the filters. Then when the wife came home I fitted it to her face.

We have over 1500 cases in San Diego county with 36 deaths sadly... and it will jump to 1800 and 50+ I fear when the new data is published tomorrow.

Be safe everyone.
geez they are not kidding..
THEY SAY when folks have been together for a while
they start to look about da same...
in your case DER NOT KIDDING!

and HOW did you get such a cuttie??

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
and HOW did you get such a cuttie??

Luck, pure luck.

Funny story of meeting at the International Terminal of LAX in the mid 90s... I was lost and I saw this Filipina in a skirt with olive tan skin, and I was like, yup asking her for directions...lol

Rest is a few years of correspondence, dating, marriage and then moving to Los Angeles and now San Diego, more than half my life with this lady, and I wouldn't change it for all the riches in the world... or at least that is what I tell her ;)

Another related funny story haha...

One day drove into a dealership... and the wife was like, "Wait, we getting a new car?"

Nah, I want to see if I can trade you in for a new you... lol... the look on her face was worth it lol...

Did it again years later... and she said, " Not happening, you stuck with the classic" Then we drove away in a 2015 Honda Accord about 1.5 hours later

misswish

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My house has never been so clean! I'm done, now it can fall apart, lol. Beading is going well but where am I going to wear it? And I'm wearing out my Kindle. I can't find the cat brush, I think the kitty hid it from me. I have enough juice mixed for a year. Guess I'll work on getting fat.
Be safe and stay healthy :hug:

DogMan

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
My house has never been so clean! I'm done, now it can fall apart, lol. Beading is going well but where am I going to wear it? And I'm wearing out my Kindle. I can't find the cat brush, I think the kitty hid it from me. I have enough juice mixed for a year. Guess I'll work on getting fat.
Be safe and stay healthy :hug:
yeah, my sister is a professional cleaner

no work lately, with everyone home and bored

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Hubbs has gone to sit with two grandsons in town today. Son can't get his studying done with kids at home needing to stay on task on school work, so Grandpa was needed to help. He took a mask and hand sanitizer with him. I hope he'll be alright. This isolation is terribly tough on young-ish single parents, has to be.

Walmart order yesterday was surprisingly complete. Garlic mashed potatoes, though, YUCK, in the order in place of the buttery ones I almost like. Extra gravy will be required.

Now up to four cases in our county, and over 4,000 in Virginia. It's starting to climb quick. Of the entire state, the suburbs of DC and the entire area from Richmond to Virginia Beach are the hotspots. I have also heard that in North Carolina, Charlotte is becoming a problem area. I have some family left down that way, and hope they'll all be okay. Should stay in closer touch with them.

Nothing new with me except I spent half the night coughing, and don't know whether to be concerned about that or not. It's been very slowly getting a little worse each day, but soooo slowly, I almost wonder if it's psychosomatic. Had a bit of wheezing in my chest so I dosed myself with this Yerba Santa this morning, and the wheezing is totally gone. No fever. Sore throat a bit yesterday morning, but went away as soon as I got up and awake.

Everyone stay safe, stay at home, be super careful. We're in the throes of this thing.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
So I had to venture out for the Easter Ham and go to the UPS Store to get something Notarized for the parents. Going into King Kullen I saw a guy coming out with Bounty Towels and Angle Soft TP~! 1st aisle in the store I hit was the paper products. All the Bounty was gone but limit 2 of TP~! SCORE

4c9d1c4ec260e20cac93371bd39d1b0d.jpg

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Thursday check. It's my Friday. Received much better news about the big stuff that's been stressing me out, but will still need to spend part of tomorrow wrapping that up. It's all very good, though, can breathe a huge sigh of relief on that one.

Leaving for work in a bit, will be masked and gloved up. God bless all the hospital and healthcare workers. Whenever I feel like complaining about how horrible and miserable it is to wear a mask all day, I try to remember those folks and shut the hell up.

Be good to each other, everyone, send good vibes. <3:pizza:

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Checking in.
All is well on the home front. I heard my Ex took the virus test. Not sure a virus would put up with her though.

And A big YES for all that the health care workers are doing right now. They are the true warriors in this battle putting their lives on the line daily to help others.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Checking in today.

Scared myself earlier this morning. Tried getting up on a ladder to fix a corner end of the front porch here. Seems the wind is trying to sheer it off.

Well, knew how I was trying to get up was wrong. *smh* Once I got up, tried to twist and dance with the ladder. Then once back down off the ladder I went sliding on the wet wood "patio". Got tangled up the electric cord laying around.

Damn this getting old. I used to do stuff like this without a second thought. Now I'm relegated to come back in the house scared.

Otherwise we're doing okay.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Checking in today.

Scared myself earlier this morning. Tried getting up on a ladder to fix a corner end of the front porch here. Seems the wind is trying to sheer it off.

Well, knew how I was trying to get up was wrong. *smh* Once I got up, tried to twist and dance with the ladder. Then once back down off the ladder I went sliding on the wet wood "patio". Got tangled up the electric cord laying around.

Damn this getting old. I used to do stuff like this without a second thought. Now I'm relegated to come back in the house scared.

Otherwise we're doing okay.

Be careful my friend because my dear friend lost his new Father In Law over the weekend because he fell off the ladder trimming his bushes. Brain injuries these days are a death sentence and No Funeral can be held. No matter how fucked up you are I care about you and want you here to bust my balls~!

Smigo

Gold Contributor
Member For 2 Years
All the same here.
Nothing new with me except I spent half the night coughing, and don't know whether to be concerned about that or not. It's been very slowly getting a little worse each day, but soooo slowly, I almost wonder if it's psychosomatic. Had a bit of wheezing in my chest so I dosed myself with this Yerba Santa this morning, and the wheezing is totally gone. No fever. Sore throat a bit yesterday morning, but went away as soon as I got up and awake.

Everyone stay safe, stay at home, be super careful. We're in the throes of this thing.
I can relate to that. When we moved to live in the country years ago one deciding factor was my allergies. City pollution and crowds of people with purfumes etc would constantly make me feel sick or non stop allergies. I feel so much better in the country in low population density area. I still get allergies to things in the home though like dust, clean all you like it still is there to a degree and quickly comes back. General things also in our life man made products that unless you live in a cave you cant avoid in our modern lifestyle. But where I am I often get out and strike a balance where the effects are really minimal. But now stuck at home day after day and getting no break I now and then feel allergy symptoms, itchy eyes on and off, ill sneeze, a cough here and there. But I have got to know the difference between allergy and a bug now, but even then now n then you second guess yourself which one it is.
Hope you and your family stay well. It freaks me out each time I see the news from over there in the US and elsewhere.
Hope everyone else here too, families and friends, stays safe and well.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Finally checking in :wave:

Last week my plan for this week was to not leave the house except for maybe a walk or to chat with neighbors over the fence for the next two weeks

Ended up having to go to town 3 times :confused: - all important or I would not have gone

Ah, maybe next week hahaha

There is social distancing yoga at our community center Saturday, I'm thinking about checking it out

However, it's also Mr Juicy Lucy's birthday, so we'll see how it goes :)

Jimi

Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Finally checking in :wave:

Last week my plan for this week was to not leave the house except for maybe a walk or to chat with neighbors over the fence for the next two weeks

Ended up having to go to town 3 times :confused: - all important or I would not have gone

Ah, maybe next week hahaha

There is social distancing yoga at our community center Saturday, I'm thinking about checking it out

However, it's also Mr Juicy Lucy's birthday, so we'll see how it goes :)
Happy Birthday to Mr. Juicy, I hope he's feelin better.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Checking in ...

The wife goes back to work Wednesday next week. Both excited for her and nervous. God willing it's a small office.

Hope everyone and y'alls families are all staying safe and sane.

Rhianne

Diamond Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
All the same here.

I can relate to that. When we moved to live in the country years ago one deciding factor was my allergies. City pollution and crowds of people with purfumes etc would constantly make me feel sick or non stop allergies. I feel so much better in the country in low population density area. I still get allergies to things in the home though like dust, clean all you like it still is there to a degree and quickly comes back. General things also in our life man made products that unless you live in a cave you cant avoid in our modern lifestyle. But where I am I often get out and strike a balance where the effects are really minimal. But now stuck at home day after day and getting no break I now and then feel allergy symptoms, itchy eyes on and off, ill sneeze, a cough here and there. But I have got to know the difference between allergy and a bug now, but even then now n then you second guess yourself which one it is.
Hope you and your family stay well. It freaks me out each time I see the news from over there in the US and elsewhere.
Hope everyone else here too, families and friends, stays safe and well.

Maybe give Quercetin a try. It’s worked really well for allergies that I just got this winter. It’s an herb, and there’s very few or no side effects. I wouldn’t tell you to try it, if I wasn’t taking it myself. :hug:

~Don~

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Good Friday VU!

Another rainy day in San Diego... and I am hoping it just straight out dumps for the weekend. Lower the amount of people out and about.

Get to brave Costco later today, possibly tomorrow morning... at least we don't have to wait in the regular line... Costco allows Nurses +1 to have their own line, which is shorter and at some Costco locations no line.

News for me and crazy as it seems; I broke my diet of 10 months last night lol... Had In-N-Out... was straight fucking awesome!!!

But I am back on the Keto Wagon today... first time I ate something other than eggs, broccoli, chicken, ground beef in nearly a year... but the guilt was high... but so damn worth the break... but yeah, back at it today... dreaming of pizza LOL

Now the bad data ...

upload_2020-4-10_6-39-50.png

And San Diego...
upload_2020-4-10_6-44-49.png

Calls to be made to mum and sis' soon...

In other related news...

The wife goes into specific training today for floor care... luckily she is not assigned to the front line and will be taking care of Non-CoViD19 patients.

Anyhoo...

Be safe everyone!

Edit: wife texts

d90dff62c669274cf002d7d6c73a6bcc.jpg

Last edited:

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Happy good Friday and Passover

Checking in... all good here

@Smigo the quercetin with zinc has really helped alot here, it may be worth a shot

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Hubbs has gone to sit with two grandsons in town today. Son can't get his studying done with kids at home needing to stay on task on school work, so Grandpa was needed to help. He took a mask and hand sanitizer with him. I hope he'll be alright. This isolation is terribly tough on young-ish single parents, has to be.

Walmart order yesterday was surprisingly complete. Garlic mashed potatoes, though, YUCK, in the order in place of the buttery ones I almost like. Extra gravy will be required.

Now up to four cases in our county, and over 4,000 in Virginia. It's starting to climb quick. Of the entire state, the suburbs of DC and the entire area from Richmond to Virginia Beach are the hotspots. I have also heard that in North Carolina, Charlotte is becoming a problem area. I have some family left down that way, and hope they'll all be okay. Should stay in closer touch with them.

Don't panic... it's allergy season. I've been doing the same thing for about a week now. Sinus drain, tickle/scratchy throat, mild cough from tickle, headache.

Amber Petti

Platinum Contributor
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Still going strong! My friend gave me their aegis legend for free the other day! So now I have all the aegis line starting from the solo. (Got my boost back from my brother in law because he “broke” the port... I fixed it.) so now I’m happy! More mods to play with! Came with a Valyrian tank too which is nice! The screen is just scratched up a bit. Still need to get new replacement glass for my twister but the vape shop I go to is closed.

Sorry for the random check in.

VU Sponsors