Become a Patron!

DAEDALUS - Easy Clapton Coils for Everyone!

iamadrunkguy

Member For 4 Years
Ƥʂұçħớ ŘêἁḺm" data-source="post: 2102166" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
"Pen" method meaning pushing the jig with the pen slightly all the time?

No I meant by using a drill with 1 wire and running wire 2 through pen tube to hold wire to help clapton on wire 1, without daedalus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Cool Tom.

Just to clarify, so you do recommend the daedalus for aliens, yeah?

I'm curious about this drill with the wire holder though.

Can I ask a huge favour please bud. Could you please post a pic or link of a good drill. There are so many types available, I really don't know which one to get.

I'm actually considering getting both a daedalus and a drill, because I don't think the daedalus works well to get the decored clapton, because you'll need to clapton a pretty long wire, but I think it will work well to reclapton when making the alien coil, because the drill turns by itself without needing to hold in any buttons.

Well, I need to prioritise though, since I can't afford to buy them both right now, so either the daedalus or the drill. But I'm leaning towards the daedalus, so at least I can start practicing making fused claptons.

Older post but I had to comment here. For God sake.. buy the kit that comes with the drill. It sits flush with the table. Hand drills do not and tend to cause the coiling bit to jump and vibrate causing the wire to miss and double back. Also the speed takes some getting used to. I find running the unit to fast causes the 40g wire to break.
I actually made a 3x 26ga fused clapton last night. only 2 breaks but rather easy to fix. (put the loose end between the cores, put up to the end point keeping the wire tight and continue.. clip the loose bit off when done.)

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
No I meant by using a drill with 1 wire and running wire 2 through pen tube to hold wire to help clapton on wire 1, without daedalus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kit now comes with 2 straws for wire guides.

Supercwazy

Member For 4 Years
Older post but I had to comment here. For God sake.. buy the kit that comes with the drill. It sits flush with the table. Hand drills do not and tend to cause the coiling bit to jump and vibrate causing the wire to miss and double back. Also the speed takes some getting used to. I find running the unit to fast causes the 40g wire to break.
I actually made a 3x 26ga fused clapton last night. only 2 breaks but rather easy to fix. (put the loose end between the cores, put up to the end point keeping the wire tight and continue.. clip the loose bit off when done.)

Cool bud, glad it's working out nicely for you. I had all but forgotten about this thread until just now :) hehe.

I've been using a hand drill for quite a while now. The daedalus drill is just way too slow. Also the chuck wobbles a lot. But I don't regret getting the daedalus. Those little wire guides it came with are extremely helpful for tri cores. Beats using a split ring.

Also I still use the jig with consistency to do the clapton for my de-core.

I've have been building aliens successfully for quite a while now. Hand drill is king, but aside from the daedalus drill, I use everything else, including the G clamp. Absolutely no regrets buying it.

Here are a few of my latest builds...

20181005_060644.jpg 20180929_010941.jpg 20181010_030029.jpg 20181006_023628.jpg

Moral of the story...

If I can do it, anyone can ;)

Last edited:

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Cool bud, glad it's working out nicely for you. I had all but forgotten about this thread until just now :) hehe.

I've been using a hand drill for quite a while now. The daedalus drill is just way too slow. Also the chuck wobbles a lot. But I don't regret getting the daedalus. Those little wire guides it came with are extremely helpful for tri cores. Beats using a split ring.

Also I still use the jig with consistency to do the clapton for my de-core.

I've have been building aliens successfully for quite a while now. Hand drill is king, but aside from the daedalus drill, I use everything else, including the G clamp. Absolutely no regrets buying it.

Here are a few of my latest builds...

View attachment 121587 View attachment 121588 View attachment 121589 View attachment 121586

Moral of the story...

If I can do it, anyone can ;)
LOL that's what I say when talking about coil building. It's hard to convince forum mods sometimes that coil building is not as hard as once believed.

I did find the power drill was faster but also the additional speed caused a lot of vibration on the wrapping unit, causing the wire to coil back on itself. Although the drill with the kit is somewhat slower, it is flush with the coil unit so no jumping and now back coiling happens. Plus as someone mentioned... you can do other stuff while your wire runs. Last night I made 22 inches of 3x 26ga kanthal fused clapton, enough for 6x 5wrap coils on 3 mm id core.

Once I get more wire, I think i will start a thread on Daedalus builds.

Supercwazy

Member For 4 Years
LOL that's what I say when talking about coil building. It's hard to convince forum mods sometimes that coil building is not as hard as once believed.

I did find the power drill was faster but also the additional speed caused a lot of vibration on the wrapping unit, causing the wire to coil back on itself. Although the drill with the kit is somewhat slower, it is flush with the coil unit so no jumping and now back coiling happens. Plus as someone mentioned... you can do other stuff while your wire runs. Last night I made 22 inches of 3x 26ga kanthal fused clapton, enough for 6x 5wrap coils on 3 mm id core.

Once I get more wire, I think i will start a thread on Daedalus builds.

That's the cool thing with daedalus, no doubting there bud. Basically, hands free fused claptons in no time ;)

But alien coils are a game changer. That's what got me onto the electric drill. You just need to find a way to mount the drill so it sits still. I model my building technique according to m terks method, to a large extent. Drill laying on its side. And I rest it on the rubber from am old mouse pad, so it doesn't slide around easily. I just peeled off the one layer so it's rubber on both sides.

I just did my first quad core build last night, and a set of tri core 28/36 for a friend of mine.

Check it out...

20181011_021138.jpg

Only managed to do a single coil of the quad core though, cos I ran out of time to do another one.

20181011_062947.jpg

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
That's the cool thing with daedalus, no doubting there bud. Basically, hands free fused claptons in no time ;)

But alien coils are a game changer. That's what got me onto the electric drill. You just need to find a way to mount the drill so it sits still. I model my building technique according to m terks method, to a large extent. Drill laying on its side. And I rest it on the rubber from am old mouse pad, so it doesn't slide around easily. I just peeled off the one layer so it's rubber on both sides.

I just did my first quad core build last night, and a set of tri core 28/36 for a friend of mine.

Check it out...

View attachment 121646

Only managed to do a single coil of the quad core though, cos I ran out of time to do another one.

View attachment 121647

looks good. I'm waiting on some flat ribbon wire. For the core I am going to use 26+flat+26+flat+26 and 34ga ss to wrap. Personally I don't like using 40ga wire although I may go as high as 36ga.
My main problem with the 40ga is seeing it. Its like threading a needle with spider web. I ordered some 10x Jeweler glasses which should ship soon, so that might help, but I also find it hard to "feel" when I actually have the 40 between my fingers, like when I am starting a coil or repairing a break in the wrap.

WPMac

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
looks good. I'm waiting on some flat ribbon wire. For the core I am going to use 26+flat+26+flat+26 and 34ga ss to wrap. Personally I don't like using 40ga wire although I may go as high as 36ga.
My main problem with the 40ga is seeing it. Its like threading a needle with spider web. I ordered some 10x Jeweler glasses which should ship soon, so that might help, but I also find it hard to "feel" when I actually have the 40 between my fingers, like when I am starting a coil or repairing a break in the wrap.
The more you work with finer wire the more you feel it. It's all about consistency of use. Yah there are times where you HAVE to see it. But some 10x goggles should be way more than enough to go just about as fine as you like. My eyes are pretty bad and I use 4x to see 42g pretty decent.

VU Sponsors