Become a Patron!

DAEDALUS - Easy Clapton Coils for Everyone!

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I just found this on Avidartisan's FB page.

Shenzhen Avidartisan Technology Co., Ltd Sorry delay to reply u later because Our Festival. Like u said, the brass guide will be break if use about 1-2 months if use frequently. U can try to contact grayhaze in Europe, or lightningvapes in USA for the brass part. Thanks.

Ok, I just went to the LV site and they don't have them. I sent an email inquiring about it. I'll let you know if they respond.

I just sent an email to Grayhaze as well.

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Tried my daedalus for the first time. Had it forever. Worked well after figuring it out. Haven't tried one of the coils but I did wrap two ready for the pharaoh rta. Did two 26/38 ss 316l and one 24/38 ss 316l but the outer wire slid off the 24. Once the 38 outer is gone I may go a little larger. That is really small for me.

MaxPerilous

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I used mine for the first time tonight too! Made 3 coils, 4/5 wrap 2x28/36 fused claptons. Threw my Goon clone that I recently got a squonk pin for, on top of my Boxer clone. Checked the pair on my Drone first of course, they ohm out to .17ohm. Now I have a beater mod that won't make me cry if I drop it at work, that's pocket-able, for ~$30. I was surprised at my results being my first attempt. My ultimate goal is making aliens though.

joeyboy

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I used mine for the first time tonight too! Made 3 coils, 4/5 wrap 2x28/36 fused claptons. Threw my Goon clone that I recently got a squonk pin for, on top of my Boxer clone. Checked the pair on my Drone first of course, they ohm out to .17ohm. Now I have a beater mod that won't make me cry if I drop it at work, that's pocket-able, for ~$30. I was surprised at my results being my first attempt. My ultimate goal is making aliens though.
Nice. Going to try the coil this morning.

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hello all. I did not see a thread dedicated to this awesome creation so I decided to start one.

original-avidartisan-daedalus-alien-clapton.jpg

If you build coils and you do not already have one, it is the best investment you can make. I have been making my own coils for a long time but never really had any luck with clapton coils. (I am definitely not a really advanced coil maker!) Then I purchased this baby and immediately built some fused claptons with EASE!

This device is amazing!

If anyone else has used this device, please feel free to post below and tell everyone your experience with it.

Here is where I purchased mine: BE Vape Happy

Use RIPIT25 code for 25% off.

Happy Vaping Everyone!!!!
CV :)

A Quick Tutorial Video Below:

This looks like it could be helpful, I've been building claptons for a couple months & using a screwdriver is bloody annoying when your so shaky.

SkoldVape

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm happy to say my 26/38 as 316l clapton works great in tc mode and tastes great. I guess I can be more creative next time.
I've only just got into TC, got a ud athlon to try out ss but now I know how good it is ill be getting some 316l wire

Supercwazy

Member For 4 Years
Hi guys, so I got my daedelus some time last year but have only used it once so far, to make some high guage fused claptons. Well, the first time I messed it up, the outer wire kept overlapping. Not sure what I was doing wrong. I think it was because I didn't screw the nut tight enough, but not too sure.
On my second attempt I used the clamp and swivel, tightened the nut a bit more and also changed the surface I put it on and it worked beautifully. Made a shot of 2×28g/27g nichrome, about 30cm long. Really came out nicely.

Only issue is the wire had many twists in it which I didn't manage to get out fully. I think I made the shot too long, so it was harder to get all the twists out.

Anyway, I decided to start taking coil making a bit more seriously and was just wondering...

How do I use those guides? Is that only for when you make aliens? Or can they be used for regular fused claptons, in conjuction with the jig?

The last time I made a successful wire shot, I used the jig, plus the clamp and swivel. Not sure if it was actually necessary to use the clamp n swivel, but it worked.

But I want to simplify the process. I'm thinking that those guides will stop my the core wires from twisting, but I'm not sure.

Ohm boy josh used the guides, but put it in the chuck. But on the daedelus tutorial vids, the guides are used differently.

Can someone please explain where the guides are supposed to go? Should I use it for a regular dual core fused clapton?

entropy1049

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Hi guys, so I got my daedelus some time last year but have only used it once so far, to make some high guage fused claptons. Well, the first time I messed it up, the outer wire kept overlapping. Not sure what I was doing wrong. I think it was because I didn't screw the nut tight enough, but not too sure.
On my second attempt I used the clamp and swivel, tightened the nut a bit more and also changed the surface I put it on and it worked beautifully. Made a shot of 2×28g/27g nichrome, about 30cm long. Really came out nicely.

Only issue is the wire had many twists in it which I didn't manage to get out fully. I think I made the shot too long, so it was harder to get all the twists out.

Anyway, I decided to start taking coil making a bit more seriously and was just wondering...

How do I use those guides? Is that only for when you make aliens? Or can they be used for regular fused claptons, in conjuction with the jig?

The last time I made a successful wire shot, I used the jig, plus the clamp and swivel. Not sure if it was actually necessary to use the clamp n swivel, but it worked.

But I want to simplify the process. I'm thinking that those guides will stop my the core wires from twisting, but I'm not sure.

Ohm boy josh used the guides, but put it in the chuck. But on the daedelus tutorial vids, the guides are used differently.

Can someone please explain where the guides are supposed to go? Should I use it for a regular dual core fused clapton?

The guides are supposed to be used to keep more than two core coil wire from pyramiding or loosing a linear configuration. I have the Daedalus Pro, which has a different brass receptacle for the guides in addition to the standard dual brass receptacle. I’ve had no luck making coil wires with the Daedalus with more than two cores using the bits with the larger guide hole, but the standard dual core brass receptacle works a treat.

☠Ƥʂұçħớ ŘêἁḺm☠

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Same here. When I use these bits to wrap a tri-core fused clapton - the wrapping wire keeps overlapping (tried so many different things that it's not even funny anymore). Without these bits it works like a charm. I, however, faced the same issue - a lot of twists and the end wire was extremely springy so I just couldn't straighten it up.

Zohmbiebuilds

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
There is no point in a Clapton machine. You can Clapton by using a cheapo drill no swivels and let the drill rip. You just have to do it. You'll get it.

The drill part of that thing moves way to slow to do Claptons imo

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

tomczak215ii

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There is no point in a Clapton machine. You can Clapton by using a cheapo drill no swivels and let the drill rip. You just have to do it. You'll get it.

The drill part of that thing moves way to slow to do Claptons imo

I don’t know about other but I messed up my eyes and hands while in the service. So doing it with a drill and swivel doesn’t work out for me. You need to keep in mind not everyone’s situation is the same just because it may be easier for you doesn’t mean others are as lucky. This tool has been a major help so I don’t have to rely on others to build my coils.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Supercwazy

Member For 4 Years
Thanks guys.

Also curious...

At what point does the daedalus v1 drill shut down? Like do I need to worry about it over discharging my batts? Or at what voltage will it shut down?

Also, people tend to have an issue with the brass guide getting messed up, because the wire cuts into it. Do you guys have any solution to keep this from happening?

Like I was thinking of using a little superglue over that groove, but then I figured that if the wire cuts through brass, cutting through the glue should be a lot easier.

You get this liquid which if you wipe over your cellphone screen, it becomes impossible to get scratched, so I'm thinking of getting this, but I'm not sure what it's called or where to get it. But that's my idea...

Do you guys have any other suggestions maybe?

entropy1049

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Thanks guys.

Also curious...

At what point does the daedalus v1 drill shut down? Like do I need to worry about it over discharging my batts? Or at what voltage will it shut down?

Also, people tend to have an issue with the brass guide getting messed up, because the wire cuts into it. Do you guys have any solution to keep this from happening?

Like I was thinking of using a little superglue over that groove, but then I figured that if the wire cuts through brass, cutting through the glue should be a lot easier.

You get this liquid which if you wipe over your cellphone screen, it becomes impossible to get scratched, so I'm thinking of getting this, but I'm not sure what it's called or where to get it. But that's my idea...

When my brass guide eventually wears out, it’s three bucks and change for the replacement from Lightning Vapes. I can live with that.:)

KarmicRage

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Thanks guys.

Also curious...

I personally wouldn't lube the thing with anything other than ejuice. Don't want any other stuff sticking around and going into your lungs. I never had a problem with the brass bit on mine, still have the replacement sitting around as well

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using Tapatalk

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don’t know about other but I messed up my eyes and hands while in the service. So doing it with a drill and swivel doesn’t work out for me. You need to keep in mind not everyone’s situation is the same just because it may be easier for you doesn’t mean others are as lucky. This tool has been a major help so I don’t have to rely on others to build my coils.

Agreed. I tried building both ways but it's too hard on my eyes. I now buy spooled Clapton wire from AVS and it works for me.

Supercwazy

Member For 4 Years
Unfortunately, lightening vapes stocking the brass guide doesn't help me much because I still have to pay crazy shipping prices to get it to SA :/ but I've completed a product request at fasttech for that piece. Just hope they'll start stocking it soon.

I thought the pool tamer would only work for a single core clapton. Didn't imagine it would ever work for a triple core :/

I really need to try this.

Do you need two vice grips to pull this off? Like, one to grip the drill and another to grip the swivel?

The issue is, these vice grips are quite expensive here, like 500 bucks a piece.

I suppose I can get away with using a C clamp for the swivel, but is there any way to mounthe drill, except with a vice?

And should the drill be at an elevated angle to the swivel, so that gravity helps the wire spool along? Or should the drill and swivel be straight in line?

☠Ƥʂұçħớ ŘêἁḺm☠

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I thought the pool tamer would only work for a single core clapton. Didn't imagine it would ever work for a triple core :/
You have to try this. For $1/tamer you can't go wrong. The way I made it work with triple core was I used "magic tool" from Daedalus kit. I used 28" tool behind the tamer to keep cores inline. I already had them so why not to use them? You can either buy these bits separately or you can buy 3D printed bits on eBay.
Do you need two vice grips to pull this off? Like, one to grip the drill and another to grip the swivel?
You'd need only one tool for swivel. And it doesn't have to be $500 vice grips. You can get something like THIS and it will work like a charm. To keep my drill secure I simply used a heavy object that I put on top of the drill. You can even get something like THIS to keep your cores together (and it will actually help you build alien coils).

Supercwazy

Member For 4 Years
@Psycho, thanks a lot mate. Some awesome recommendations right there. Unfortunately, because I live in SA, shipping costs are quite hefty if I purchase from the US, but I'll definitely keep an eye out for these tools.

I actually have a pack of UD spool tamers at home, but I just need to figure out an economical way to set up my drill and swivel. Well, the swivel isn't so much an issue, but I'm sure I'm gonna need a vice to secure the drill, right?

Here's the thing...

The drill has to be in an elevated position, because there has to be some space between the wire and the table below it, for a spool to be able to move freely under the wire. Like, ohm boy josh uses a vice to mount his drill upside down.

Lets say I just put the drill on top of a couple of text books, so it's above the table, but how necessary is it for the drill to be firmly secured? Do you use a vice to secure the drill?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but is the "magic tool" the little 28" guide? If you use the 28" guide behind the spool tamer, that means that piece just remains in the same spot, near the chuck of the drill, the entire time, is that right?

Not sure if I have the right picture in mind here :/

tomczak215ii

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unfortunately, lightening vapes stocking the brass guide doesn't help me much because I still have to pay crazy shipping prices to get it to SA :/ but I've completed a product request at fasttech for that piece. Just hope they'll start stocking it soon.

The issue is, these vice grips are quite expensive here, like 500 bucks a piece.

I suppose I can get away with using a C clamp for the swivel, but is there any way to mounthe drill, except with a vice?

And should the drill be at an elevated angle to the swivel, so that gravity helps the wire spool along? Or should the drill and swivel be straight in line?

Message me. I might have extra because I bought the v2 so I don’t use my v1 anymore.

☠Ƥʂұçħớ ŘêἁḺm☠

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The drill has to be in an elevated position, because there has to be some space between the wire and the table below it, for a spool to be able to move freely under the wire. Like, ohm boy josh uses a vice to mount his drill upside down.

Lets say I just put the drill on top of a couple of text books, so it's above the table, but how necessary is it for the drill to be firmly secured? Do you use a vice to secure the drill?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but is the "magic tool" the little 28" guide? If you use the 28" guide behind the spool tamer, that means that piece just remains in the same spot, near the chuck of the drill, the entire time, is that right?

Not sure if I have the right picture in mind here :/

I'll send you the pictures of my setup when I get home today. I'll also shoot a video showing how I'm using this 28" guide (I keep it 5-6 centimeters away from the tamer and push it back periodically).

I've also ordered THESE alien makers. Pack of each (24, 26, 28), six makers per pack.

entropy1049

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year

The shipping to SA is a bummer for sure then. Maybe a remailing service can do a bundle of goods for you cheaper.

Ive done up to 5 cores with a spool tamer. For laughs mostly, what the hell does a person do with 0.04 ohm coils lol, but yup, spool tamers don’t care how many cores you use.

Clamping your swivel is helpful. Usually the mass of a big ass drill is sufficient for holding the other end stationary for me, YMMV. C-clamps work fine for this.

I try to keep the angle between drill and swivel parallel to the table surface, but it’s probs just OCD, and really not an issue for making the coil.

The “magic tool” is the stainless steel sized guide that comes with the Daedalus in the 24, 26, and 28mm sizes and serves the same purpose that the 3D printed guides do, to keep your cores parallel while wrapping. The guide runs just forward of your spooling towards the swivel on your unwrapped cores.

Like psycho realm, I’ll post a pic next time I make wire.

Supercwazy

Member For 4 Years
Psycho realm, thanks mate. I'm actually really keen on seeing that video. I've got an idea of what you're saying, but a video would be perfect. I've known about these patino alien makers for a while, but fasttech doesn't stock them, unfortunately. But there's an even better one than those. I just can't remember the name now. I think it was called "coil assist" or something like that.

I know ohm boy josh complained about patinos, said they wouldn't move freely and you needed to run wire back and forth through those slots to sort it out, but maybe patinos have sorted this issue out now.

But after seeing those pics by Entropy, I'm starting to think I might not need those alien makers at all...

Entropy, that method looks amazing man. The reason I was all puzzled about using a vice and the angle between the drill and swivel was because of way ohm boy josh used the pool tamer. Where it was suspended from the wire and it just glided along. But your way looks so much simpler. I don't even need a vice now.

But one thing puzzles me...

Do you need to keep sliding the spool with your hand, as the guide moves towards the swivel? Like, there's no weight at all on the spool. Or do you put your finger on it to prevent it from moving and stuff?

Do you use two metal poles, like ohm boy josh used, between the spool tamer and the spool, so that wire can be fed freely?

Last edited:

Supercwazy

Member For 4 Years
Psycho realm, aaah now I see...

Thanks a lot bud. This helps me big time! This totally eliminates the need of the daedalus :/ well, except for the metal guide. But I guess the c clamp and swivel are essential too.

Curious, was the clapton wire bunching up on itself in the process? Like at some parts when you stopped the drill, were there any imperfections in the wire? It looked like that spool was on quite a bumpy ride, hehe.

I really appreciate that video man. Thanks again.

I'm still curious though about Entropy's method with the spool remaining at such a distance like that...

I'm just thinking, if I use the daedalus jig, will it be even better? Like if I use the spool tamer, but instead of leaving it on the table, I put it on the jig and let the wire feed from there...

But not using the brass piece, I mean like if I use the jig, but let the wire feed from the side of the jig or something, if you know what I mean.

Did you ever try using the jig and the spool tamer together?

entropy1049

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Psycho realm, thanks mate. I'm actually really keen on seeing at video. I've got an idea of what you're saying, but a video would be perfect. I've known about these patino alien makers for a while, but fasttech doesn't stock them, unfortunately. But there's an even better one than those. I just can't remember the name now. I think it was called "coil assist" or something like that.

I know ohm boy josh complained about patinos, said they wouldn't move freely and you needed to run wire back and forth through those slots to sort it out, bit maybe patinos have sorted this issue out now.

But after seeing those pics by Entropy, I'm starting to think I might not need those alien makers at all...

Entropy, that method looks amazing man. The reason I was all puzzled about using a vice and the angle between the drill and swivel was because of way ohm boy josh used the pool tamer. Where it was suspended from the wire and it just glided along. But your way looks so much simpler. I don't even need a vice now.

But one thing puzzles me...

Do you need to keep sliding the spool with your hand, as the guide moves towards the swivel? Like, there's no weight at all on the spool. Or do you put your finger on it to prevent it from moving and stuff?

Do you use two metal poles, like ohm boy josh used, between the spool tamer and the spool, so that wire can be fed freely?

I get best results by holding the sewn tab of the spool tamer in my hand and maintaining the angle or the feeding wrap. I keep about two inches between the spool and the core as the wrap feeds and move the wrap spool with my tensioning hand along the cores as they wrap. The method psycho realm uses is a way to free up your hand and auto feed the wrap wire. I need to experiment more with that method, but for now, holding the tab works for me.

The alien makers are a wise purchase, but if you already have the Daedalus “magic tools” you can make due easilly with those. Once we’re dealing with more than 2 cores, you really need some way to keep the core wires parallel, and the alien makers or “magic tool” work a treat for that.

Edit: haven’t tried the spool tamer and jig with heavier gauge wrap, but with 40g it just results in a lot of broken wrap wire :D

Last edited:

☠Ƥʂұçħớ ŘêἁḺm☠

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Psycho realm, aaah now I see...
Curious, was the clapton wire bunching up on itself in the process? Like at some parts when you stopped the drill, were there any imperfections in the wire? It looked like that spool was on quite a bumpy ride, hehe.
Not a single occurrence of "bunching up". In the video the cores had a "bumpy ride" because I was in a rush and didn't center three cores in the chuck - hence such an amplitude. The only reason I was slowing down is because two metal posts were getting out of tamer (again, I was in a rush and inserted them upside down). Actually, you don't even need these 2 posts - once I was done shooting the video I removed them completely and finished the spool without them. I then used pasta machine to straighten up my wire.

I also have never tried using tamer and the jig together - because there is simply no need for it. On the video I'm using 36G as a wrapping wire but I used as low as 32G (for testing purposes) just fine.

Supercwazy

Member For 4 Years
Psycho realm, that's awesome news bud, exactly what I wanted to hear.

Do you also experience wire breaking like Entropy does?

Curious, when you say "pasta machine", is that basically a rolling pin? Or is it something mechanical?

So you don't use the plier and drill to straighten your wire at all?

Any chance you could please post a pic or video of how you straighten your wire please bud. That video of yours was really helpful.

Hope you don't mind if I shared that video link with someone. I was telling someone on one of the fasttech forums about the video and he asked if I could share the link...

Is it ok?

I posted the link to this forum as well so that credit can go where it's due. You guys have really helped me a lot! I really do appreciate it.

Last edited:

☠Ƥʂұçħớ ŘêἁḺm☠

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Not really, no.
Curious, when you say "pasta machine", is that basically a rolling pin? Or is it something mechanical?
So you don't use the plier and drill to straighten your wire at all?
I do use pliers to straighten it up initially a little, but can't straighten it up perfectly so I use pasta machine.
In this video Vaping Biker shows how to use it:
12:26 - he tried to straighten the wire up via chuck and pliers and had experienced exactly the same issue I had been experiencing.
13:54 - he uses the pasta machine.
Hope you don't mind if I shared that video link with someone. I was telling someone on one of the fasttech forums about the video and he asked if I could share the link... Is it ok?
Sure. No credits are necessary.

entropy1049

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year

I should clarify, the wrap wire breakages I was talking about were resulting from experimentation with using the spool tamers with the spool on the Daedalus jig.

Otherwise it’s smooth sailing. No problems with wrap wire breaking with spool tamers when used as directed :cheers:

entropy1049

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Also, I think PR was talking about taking twists out of his finished multi core wire with the pasta roller, not straightening single core wires as prep for wrapping. Drill/pliers or a little stretch for prepping core wires.

☠Ƥʂұçħớ ŘêἁḺm☠

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Also, I think PR was talking about taking twists out of his finished multi core wire with the pasta roller, not straightening single core wires as prep for wrapping. Drill/pliers or a little stretch for prepping core wires.
^^^ Yeah, this.I'm using pasta maker for this finished product, not for the original cores. Should've clarified.

Supercwazy

Member For 4 Years
Lol, cummon guys, I'm not that bad :p I figured the pasta maker was for the finished product :)

Thanks for clarifying that Entropy. At least now I know trying to use both the spool tamer and jig is a bad idea.

Curious, does the spool tamer method work for flaptons?

I've thinking of getting quite a bit of flat wire, but they're generally only 0.1mm thick. So I don't know if that's too flimsy for the spool tamer method.

Do you think the daedalus will work with such thin ribbon wire?

entropy1049

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Lol, cummon guys, I'm not that bad :p I figured the pasta maker was for the finished product :)

Thanks for clarifying that Entropy. At least now I know trying to use both the spool tamer and jig is a bad idea.

Curious, does the spool tamer method work for flaptons?

I've thinking of getting quite a bit of flat wire, but they're generally only 0.1mm thick. So I don't know if that's too flimsy for the spool tamer method.

Do you think the daedalus will work with such thin ribbon wire?
The Daedalus I haven’t tried with ribbon, but I’ve def used spool tamers for making staples and FS.

Supercwazy

Member For 4 Years
Thanks for all the advices guys. I'm pretty psyched up to do this. Just waiting for my wire to arrive now. Hopefully will have it in about two weeks. My supplier is just waiting for his spools to arrive from China, there was a delay because of their new year.

Curious, isn't there some kinda substitute for that pasta maker? All I really need is something with two smooth wheels almost touching each other, and I can roll the wire between them...

Doubt I can get a pasta maker anywhere here and it looks kinda expensive. Else straightening with the drill could work too, if I just straighten the wire by grabbing the wire at different points, by starting from the swivel end and working my way towards the chuck..

But I think the pasta maker concept will work best.

What do you guys think about staples?

Staples vs flaptons vs fused claptons...

☠Ƥʂұçħớ ŘêἁḺm☠

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Curious, isn't there some kinda substitute for that pasta maker? All I really need is something with two smooth wheels almost touching each other, and I can roll the wire between them...
Doubt I can get a pasta maker anywhere here and it looks kinda expensive.
If you can come up with two metal blades in extreme proximity to each other mechanism - then sure, you have a substitute. I paid $20 for open box decent pasta machine.

lcIrkwa.jpg

Zohmbiebuilds

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years

Anything you have to do to make coils. I pmed you an apology. I just think that they charge too much for something that a 20 dollar cheapo drill does. If using anything above 32 it will take a minute.

But to each is own I'm not an elitist ass hole. That came out wrong. If this is easier for you than by all means

iamadrunkguy

Member For 4 Years
Made my v1 into a pro ! looks eh but works great. Haven’t made anything but a staggered fused clapton. Just need the new wire guides. Lots of videos on YouTube on how to mod v1 and use pro version. Can’t wait for more wire!!! Drilled out the spool wire guide to a bit over 5mm (not sure used regular bit not metric), screwed 2 screws to the side going through both walls (for more support I suppose), drilled out the back hole to accomidate the tube, tube is a mechanical pencil sleeve - works great because its not big enough for the multi wire little tube to go through so keeps it flush with the front and I can feed the wire more easily now, then hot glued the crap out of it.... :D
865804985856403bf2879e8974f346cd.jpg
07e789d558f9c5376ed7a462aaa355b0.jpg
b221e3de92cd0bdbdb6ab2aa5be7190b.jpg
6ad8889f951cd679209d83bf42bee9a5.jpg
b2a8887891d8107902f7005a74fc3719.jpg
5a1cf4fbd413b776489c4e84c00455a4.jpg
8de5d121b2193dfe5df646042f69c823.jpg

Last edited:

Zohmbiebuilds

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Everyone really liked spool tamers, I skipped that step and literately took my spool out from a small ziplock bag. I would hold the ziplock bag to feed wrap wire because I was too scared and didn't trust holding a bare spool. The bag have me the confidence needed to just step my game up.

Zohmbiebuilds

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Ƥʂұçħớ ŘêἁḺm" data-source="post: 2068230" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
Tamer is DA BEAST! 2*28/36 n80 3mm I made just yesterday for my friend using tamer and pasta machine to straighten the wire up (took me literally 10 minutes):

9Ov2JeL.jpg
I would get fused Claptons that looked like that in the beginning. I'm so OCD. I used to freehand my fused Claptons and that worked well but now that I hold the spool I can really stack those wraps one after another. You can tell the light will hit making it very shiny when your wraps are perfect. The duller, greater the wire looks after wrapping the now spaced and less perfect the wrap is.

Now throw them bad boys in and vape the shit out of them

Bundy71

Member For 2 Years
This thread was a pretty fun read. I've been making single wire 316L coils for a while for TC on my RTA, but I'm venturing over to a mech squonker so I want to start making my own Claptons. I just free-handed one the other day with my drill (no swivels, just straightened the wire for rigidity) using a 26awg core and 28awg wrap (weird, I know, but it's what I had!). It actually came out fine.

I started looking around for tips and techniques and stumbled onto this thread. Since i already have wire tamers, I'm going to start with those to build single core, 24/30 316L and go from there.

I'm sure I'll be asking questions, but the main reason for this post is to share this link to the Daedalus jig, minus the drill, for $7.99:

iamadrunkguy

Member For 4 Years
This thread was a pretty fun read. I've been making single wire 316L coils for a while for TC on my RTA, but I'm venturing over to a mech squonker so I want to start making my own Claptons. I just free-handed one the other day with my drill (no swivels, just straightened the wire for rigidity) using a 26awg core and 28awg wrap (weird, I know, but it's what I had!). It actually came out fine.

I started looking around for tips and techniques and stumbled onto this thread. Since i already have wire tamers, I'm going to start with those to build single core, 24/30 316L and go from there.

I'm sure I'll be asking questions, but the main reason for this post is to post this link to the Daedalus jig, minus the drill, for $7.99:

Not having good eyesight and dexterity, actually in reality patience, the Daedalus was good for me I know some dont like it but it works once you get the basics down. I’ve done claptons withe the “pen” method easily but i just wanted to try it and i stuck with it

Bundy71

Member For 2 Years
Not having good eyesight and dexterity, actually in reality patience, the Daedalus was good for me I know some dont like it but it works once you get the basics down. I’ve done claptons withe the “pen” method easily but i just wanted to try it and i stuck with it

Honestly, the only thing stopping me from ordering it, other than the fact that I'm pretty mechanically inclined and capable, is that I saw some mention that not all spools fit on it. I'm going to be using Temco wire, and that was specifically mentioned as one that won't fit.

VU Sponsors