Become a Patron!

Cut 220 Premium Kit - Desire Design

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi Vaping Underground members, In this Review i take a look at the Cut 220 Premium Kit by Desire Design. The Cut 220 Premium Kit was supplied for the purpose of this review by Emma from BuyBest.

https://www.buybest.com/product/Desire-C...63890.html

Introduction

It doesn't seem that long ago since Desire Design released simultaneously a duo of BF devices that received a very favourable response from the vaping community. there was the Rage dual battery BF device and the single battery Cut BF device which didn't just get a favourable response for it's functionality but also it's cut corner shape. The Cut Premium is their latest device taking the popular form of the Cut BF device but is a standard regulated device accommodating a second 18650 battery where there was once a BF bottle and IML door panel (unlike the Cut Squonk 108 it doesn't also accommodate 21700 batteries). With a top wattage of 220W, TC suite, curves, LED customisation, Novice Mode and coming paired with the impressive Bulldog Sub-ohm tank the Cut Premium is well worth a look!

In the Box

Contents:

1x CUT 220 MOD
1x BULLDOG Tank (0.18ohm Mesh coil, 4.3ml)
1x 0.2ohm Triple coil
1x Extra 3ml Glass Tube
1x Accessories packet
1x USB Charger
1x User Manual
1x Warranty Card

Aesthetics and Ergonomics

The Cut Premium Kit comes in cardboard packaging and once opened i found i had been sent the Purple version, it's also available in White, Black, Red and Blue, all colour options come with matching Bulldog tank apart from the White version that comes with a Silver tank. The White and Blue versions come with a Black IML battery door, the Purple and Red versions with a White door and finally the Red version comes with a Black door. The device looks a very strange shape but on closer inspection all that's been done to get this strange shape is the back 2 corners have been very rounded then the front left corner has been cut (as in Cut Premium mod) giving the device one diagonal side. This diagonal side sees a Platinum colour fire button in the shape of the Desire Design logo at the top and the - and + round Platinum buttons underneath. The shortened front of the device (due to the corner being cut) has a vertical elongated rectangular Black panel, this houses the 1.3" Colour screen at the top, another 1.3" section near the bottom which houses a Desire Design logo that lights up and finally right at the bottom the micro USB port. The back of the device is the removable IML battery panel, the opposite side to the diagonal cut side sees part of the back panel, notch for helping to remove the panel and "DESIRE DESIGN" deeply etched into the metal vertically. The base of the device has very generous venting and safety stamps, the top of the device towards the front we have a Gold plated, spring loaded 510. The device is very solidly made and feels very sturdy and durable, the cut corner design allows the device to be held and fired with the finger or thumb with great comfort.

Bulldog Specs and Features:

Size: 24.5mm x 49mm (w/o thread)
Material: Stainless Steel/Aviation Aluminium
Drip Tip: Resin
Capacity: 4.3ml
Coil: 0.18ohm Mesh Coil (50-110W, Best 60-80W), 0.2ohm Triple Coil (80-130W, Best 100-120W)
Colorful resin drip tip
0.18ohm Mesh Coil & 0.2ohm Triple Coil
Intuitive push-top refill design
Adjustable bottom airflow system
SS & aviation aluminium construction
Thread: 510
Colour: Red, Blue, Black, Purple, Silver

The Bulldog Overview

Assembling and disassembling

The Bulldog has been kept simple when it comes to breaking it down into it's various parts. It consists off the top section which is the slipper, juice port grommet and air chamber. Your coils screw straight into the base and then the top of the coil screws on and off the air chamber as you screw your base on and off the tank. The glass tube is secured to both the top section and the base by o-rings that fully seal the tank. When you unscrew the base the glass can be easily removed if you wish to swap for the 3ml straight glass but the Bulldog is a thirsty animal so i think the majority will stick with the 4.3ml bubble glass.

Top-fill and Drip tip

After priming your coil, screwing it into the base and screwing together the tank we need to fill. Before we get onto the fill system i want to mention the drip tip as it's the nicest looking i have seen to date. The resin colouring is quite beautiful, the main top section is resin as is the bottom section, the bottom section has 2 o-rings to fit into the Bulldog (other 810's with o-rings will fit). The middle of the drip tip (the section that sits directly onto the tank) we have a Stainless Steel band. The top-fill is done via a slipper method which i have come across before, instead of having a top-cap the whole top section is one piece. The centre section of the top slides open and shut along the outer rails, when open a large juice port is revealed. The slipper is tapered downwards both sides with a textured finish to help with opening. The slipper slides with quite a bit of resistance and will not open of it's own accord, i find this method a lot sturdier than a top-cap on a hinge and a lot quicker than a top-cap that unscrews so a big pro.

The Coils

There are 3 different coils available for the Bulldog, a mesh coil which you would expect in the current climate, a powerful high wattage triple coil and an even more powerful quad coil. The quad coil isn't included but it's 0.15ohm rated between 90w and 140w with a best of 100w to 120w, it's description is "more power, more smoke" (don't really like the use of the word smoke) so in other words a cloud chucker although going by how i found the triple coil i doubt it is flavourless. The included coils is the mesh coil, 0.18 which is rated between 50w and 110w with a best between 60w to 80w. The other coil included is the triple coil which is rated between 80w and 130w and with a best rating of between 100w and 120w.

Cut Premium Specs and Features:

Size: 46 x 35 x 81mm
Battery: Dual 18650 battery (Not included)
Multi-function adjust mode: NOVICE/VW/TC-NI/TC-TI/TC-SS/TCR/BYPASS/PMG (Power Multiple Graph) modes
Power adjustment range: 5W-220W
Resistance range: 0.08ohm-3.0ohm
Screen: 1.3-inch TFT Colour Display Screen
Compatible with dual 18650 batteries
A complete security system for battery protection
Advanced modes for various preferences
1.3-inch TFT colour screen with five theme interface colors
Innovative novice mode preventing burning coil
Upgraded iconic breathing lamp design
Thread: 510
Colour: Red, Blue, Black, Purple, White

Fitting The Batteries

The Dual 18650 batteries are fitted by removing the back panel which is helped by a notch on the side. Once fitted there is plenty of space to get your fingers to the outer sides of your batteries for easy removable and the panel secures back into place very securely, no movement and no rattles. Apart from my pet hate orientation being Black on Black a really good job has been done.

Review Continued Below:

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Review Continued:

The Display

The Display could be sharper and the tinted cover makes it difficult to see outdoors but inside it's perfectly adequate and set out well, despite being a colour screen only ever is one colour in use at any one time. When the device is on in Novice mode the whole centre section of the screen has a smart mode logo as well as battery bars at the top and resistance and volts at the bottom. When in advanced mode the device has full functionality and the display shows battery status indication as both bars and percentages at the top. Below to the left we have the working mode we are in, below this the wattage or temperature (when in temp control), next to this is the unit ("W" for wattage or one of your 2 temp units "F" or "C"), above this is the puff counter. Below the wattage or temperature to the left we have time vaped and underneath this is a time vaped progress bar. Finally at the bottom towards the left we have the resistance and volts which changes to watts when in temp control.

Operating The Premium Cut

The Premium Cut is the usual 5 clicks to turn on and 5 clicks to turn off and once on there is one combination button press feature which is pressing both navigational buttons together locks and unlocks the device, if locked the device will still fire. To enter the menu system is 3 clicks of the fire button which brings up the options to scroll through which are, Novice, Advanced, Colour, LED set and device. If you choose Novice the screen goes to the smart logo and the wattage is set at a suitable wattage for the resistance, when in this mode nothing can be altered and i did test it out with different set-ups and although it didn't for the most part set wattage as i would do manually all wattage's chosen gave a decent vape and achieved the main purpose which is to stop a new-comer from sizzling their coils. Advanced takes you to the main screen with the working mode flashing which can be altered between VW, TC-NI, TC-TI, TC-SS, TCR-M1, TCR-M2, PMG (curve), and Bypass. Selecting one of your TCR memory slots allows you to enter TCR value and set wattage right up to 220w, when in normal temp control mode the wattage will be what was previously set in VW mode. Choosing Colour allows you to change what colour the display information is between Blue, Purple, White, Red or Green. Choosing LED Set brings up LED status (which allows you to have the Desire Design logo always lit, only lit when firing or turn the LED off), and LED Colour which allows you to change what colour you want the logo to light up between Red, Green, Blue, Purple or White. Finally Device allows you to reset the puff counter, reset the device to default and displays the product hardware and software information. While in the menu any time you hold down the fire button it will take you back to the main screen, the Cut Premium is a very simple device to navigate around and operate.

My Experience Using The Cut Premium Kit

The first thing i must say is i do not vape using temp control and do not have access to technical readouts so i simply review products as a personal vaping experience. The Cut Premium like all the Desire Design devices i have used performed excellently with immediate ramp up and all wattage's vaped at seemed very accurate. The curves feature works well and as already mentioned the Novice mode works as it should. I used the Bulldog tank along with a couple of other atty's and just loved the device especially it's ergonomics. The Bulldog i have reviewed before so i used the mesh coil in my already used Bulldog rather than the new tank but have used both supplied coils previously and can tell you not only do they give great flavour but also the longevity is very impressive. The Bulldog has plenty of air but can be adjusted for a restricted lung hit and it's smooth throughout. The mesh coil I found the airflow best half open which allowed me to get the best flavour at 65w with a smooth restricted hit. The 510 has been brought forward to keep the height of the device to a minimum but up to 26mm atty's will fit without overhang which includes the vast majority of atty's that are available. Battery life is good seeming slightly better than average for a dual 18650 so good efficiency, the device is also fully firmware upgradeable.

Great build quality
Cut corner design
Very ergonomic
Novice Mode
Very easy to navigate
Fires instantly
Customisation with Desire Design logo LED (can be turned off)
Display Colour choices
Curves feature
Temp control (not tested)
Very good battery door
Efficient, good battery life
Firmware upgradeable
Bulldog tank excellent inclusion
4.3ml capacity
Very good flavour with both supplied coils
Coil longevity
Nice slipper top-fill design
Smooth airflow

Cons

Display not easy to see outdoors
Over 26mm atty's will have overhang despite a lot of real estate up top
Black on Black battery orientation

I would once again like to thank Emma from BestBuy for supplying the Cut Premium Kit for the purpose of this review.

https://www.buybest.com/product/Desire-C...63890.html

Last edited:

VU Sponsors