Become a Patron!

Cthulhu Mulan MTL RDTA

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi Vaping Underground members, In this review i take a look at the Mulan MTL RDTA from Cthulhu Mod. The Cthulhu Mulan MTL RDTA was supplied for the purpose of this review by Ella from Sourcemore.

https://www.sourcemore.com/cthulhu-mulan-mtl-rdta.html

Introduction

Since Cthulhu Mod came on the scene they have continuously released MTL atty's even when the MTL scene was quiet so now the releasing of MTL products has picked back up (which at long last as been the case in 2019) Cthulhu show no signs of slowing down.
The Mulan MTL RDTA (i would prefer it being called a top coiler RTA as really RDTA's don't seem to exist anymore, they are simply RTA's with the tank on the bottom but they are not used for dripping so technically shouldn't be called RDTA's) is Cthulhu latest offering which brings us an internal domed chamber inside the sleeve and airflow inserts that can be changed on the fly. Coming with both a standard and BF pin, short delrin and longer Stainless Steel 510 drip tips and both a glass and poly-carbonate tank section let's give the Mulan MTL RDTA a look!

In The Box

Contents:

1 x Mulan MTL RDTA
1 x 510 steel drip tip
1 x PC tube
1 x Manual
1 x Spare o-ring bag
3 x Airflow inserts
1 x Flannel bag

Aesthetics

The Mulan MTL RDTA comes in cardboard tubular packaging with the atty itself being placed inside a little pouch. I received the Black version but there is also a Silver option, it comes with a shortish delrin MTL drip tip installed. The Mulan is made of 304 Stainless Steel and comes with a glass tank installed, we have a short tank section at the bottom then much larger metal top section as this is where the deck is housed. Halfway up the top section we have a groove that encircles the sleeve making it look like it's in 2 parts but it's purely aesthetics as we have a one piece sleeve. Underneath the groove we have a 2mm airflow hole and the top of the sleeve tapers to meet the drip tip. Moving to the base we have printed branding and safety marks, the Silver plated pin which comes pre-installed is a standard but a BF pin is included. The build quality is very good and certainly the finish on the Black version i received seems durable and in general there is a retro look about the Mulan.

Mulan MTL RDTA Specs and Features:

Height: 33mm (without drip tip)
Diameter: 22mm
Type: Single Coil RDTA
Drip Tip: 510
Material: 304 food grade steel
Double chamber system to dissipate heat
Changeable airflow insert without rebuilding coil
Three airflow inserts (0.8mm 1.4mm 2.0mm)
Silver-plated positive pin
Perfect for restricted MTL vaping
Squonk-friendly for squonker MODs
Thread: 510
Colour: Black, Silver

It's Various Parts and What You Receive

The Mulan comprises of drip tip, sleeve, deck section, tank and finally the base with 510 pin. The mulan comes pre-installed with a delrin drip tip, glass tank and Silver plated standard pin but included is a longer Stainless Steel drip tip, s poly-carbonate tank section and a BF pin if you prefer squonking. The Mulan utilises airflow inserts and as well as the one installed you receive 2 extra (all have different size airflow outlets). You also receive spare o-rings and screws, screwdriver and an allen key for the BF pin but sadly there is no cotton or pre-wound coils included which is a pet hate of mine when it comes to rebuildables (It should come with everything that is needed to do at least one build).

Airflow Inserts

The Mulan utilises airflow inserts that can be best described as a piece of pizza, removing the insert is like removing a slice from the whole pizza (the deck) and inserting one completes the pizza.
The inserts get secured by screwing them down from above, the screw is to the outer of the insert so fully accessible while a build is in place and the insert can be removed and slid in place without disturbing your build so you can swap inserts on the fly which is a big pro.
The air enters the insert through a side hole which is 2mm on all three inserts, it then travels through the insert until coming out the outlet which gets positioned directly underneath the coil, these outlets are what differs on each insert, the outlets are 0.8mm, 1.4mm and 2.0mm.

The Airflow

The airflow is part controlled by turning the sleeve to adjust the airflow alignment but is mostly determined by which insert is fitted, the 2mm airflow hole which is on the outer sleeve needs lining up with the airflow hole (also 2mm) on the outer edge of the insert, of course when perfectly lined up that's the airflow fully open but this can be micro managed. The air then travels through the insert and then up through the outlet hitting the underside of your coil, not having an insert in place isn't an option with the Mulan.
Looking inside the sleeve we can see an indented section on the sleeve which gets lined up with the fitted insert, this needs to be lined up for the sleeve to fully fit and then once in place it gives just enough play for adjusting airflow before acting as a stopper.
Even more interestingly instead of just having the outer sleeve as expected we have an inner domed chamber attached to the inside of the sleeve that sits over your build giving both a very reduced chamber but it also protects the outer sleeve from getting hot.

Filling

I personally used the Mulan with the BF pin but did initially fill the tank. The fill port can be found on the deck and on the opposite side of the deck we also have a tiny breathing hole. The fill hole is not very big so some nozzles will be an issue my only advice would be to take your time when filling or decant to a needle nose bottle. When using on a BF device simply squonk to keep the tank topped up, the liquid comes out of holes either side at the top of the pin just before the deck section.

The Deck and Build

We have a 22mm deck which like the atty itself is quite retro looking. We have tubular posts side by side so both leads need to face the same way which get fed through round terminal holes one in each post, the leads get tightened from above with philips grub screws. With your leads thread through the terminal holes just hold the coil in position while tightening the screws. After installing the coil you can use a coiling rod or fit for purpose tool to position the coil exactly where you want it before then making sure your screws are still tight then snip your leads.
With these top coiler atty's people have their own way of wicking from having the wicks feeding down to the bottom of the tank to the other extreme like how i wick just poking my wicks slightly through the ports, just stick to whatever works for you! I did 2 builds, one round wire and a fused clapton build and both builds were easy enough.

Review Continued below:

timwis

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Review Continued:

How The Mulan Vapes and Thoughts!

I used the Mulan with the BF pin installed as that's how i use RDTA's (top coilers) when a BF pin is included using the squonk bottle as an extension of it's capacity. As mentioned i did 2 builds and being able to swap the inserts on the fly allowed me to try all 3 inserts with both builds. The 2.0mm insert gives a very loose MTL which worked better with the 0.68ohm fused clapton build as a restricted lung hit, when using this insert the airflow was a little choppy. The 1.4mm again gave a loose MTL draw but when closing the airflow down on the outer sleeve it gave more of a mid range MTL, both coils suited this insert well and the airflow was much smoother. The smallest insert gave a nice tight draw very similar to a cigarette pull which again was very smooth, this suited the round wire 1.12ohm build much better.
Both builds with all inserts except for using the 0.8mm with the 0.68ohm build gave cracking flavour and i would say the Mulan was at it's best with the 1.12ohm coil with the 0.8mm insert at 15W.
The build wasn't difficult and the Mulan worked well with the BF pin installed, i tried different PG/VG ratios and had no issues with wicking and being able to change inserts on the fly is a big pro!

Good build quality
Nice retro looking
Top coiler
Build easy enough
Can use squonk bottle as extension of it's capacity
Cigarette type draw right up to restricted DL possible
0.8mm and 1.4mm gave smooth airflow
Fantastic flavour
Wicked well with all ratios i tried 50/50 up to 80VG
2 different MTL style drip tips included
Can use your own 510
Glass and Poly-carbonate tank sections included
Standard and BF pins included
3 Airflow inserts
Inserts can be swapped on the fly
Inner domed chamber attached to sleeve
Sleeve locks in place allowing enough play for airflow adjustment
micro manage airflow further with sleeve

Cons

Doesn't include coils or cotton
Small fill port
2.0mm insert, airflow slightly choppy

I would once again like to thank Ella for supplying the Cthulhu Mulan MTL RDTA for the purpose of this review.

https://www.sourcemore.com/cthulhu-mulan-mtl-rdta.html

VU Sponsors