Become a Patron!

Crema Fritta (fried custard)

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I will definitely pass on the truffle Twinkies.. Lol!
While a bit too mainstream, there's of course a FA Saffron addition to consider. Saffron cake is good....
saffron cake.jpg

Ron
---
“You know, most men would get discouraged by now. Fortunately for you, I am not most men!” ― PePe Le Pew, The Stink of Love: Pepe Le Pew's Guide to L'Amour

Squonk

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I keep thinking about what other recipe I can use FA Metaphor in.
I've got everything else.

Ron
---
"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."- Theodore Roosevelt
Errrr:mad: I forgot Metaphor in my order.

jpasint

Member For 4 Years
I mixed this up on Sunday.
4 hours in the UC and 20 hours in the shaker.
Plan to test it tomorrow night which is my normal break down and clean the tanks night.

The mix smells awesome.

I got a drop of the FLV cinnamon on my shirt and I think it would have burned a hole in it if I hadn't washed immediately.

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I know, right. I just got in today and mixed stand alone.... FA Zeppola, INW Blue Dwarf, FE Sweet Rice, INW Sesame Sweets and INW Coconut Cookies and a bunch of stuff I was out of or really low on. After sniffing Zeppola then Sweet Rice, I think those two are meant to be together.
What's Fe? Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Squonk

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Errrr:mad: I forgot Metaphor in my order.

I remembered to order the Metaphor but...forgot to get some FE Sweet Rice to try. :cry:

They were sold old during the past Holiday sale and I forgot to look again.

Ron
---
"As long as the world is turning and spinning, we're gonna be dizzy and we're gonna make mistakes."-Mel Brooks

Squonk

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I remembered to order the Metaphor but...forgot to get some FE Sweet Rice to try. :cry:

They were sold old during the past Holiday sale and I forgot to look again.

Ron
---
"As long as the world is turning and spinning, we're gonna be dizzy and we're gonna make mistakes."-Mel Brooks
I went out on a limb and grabbed 30mls while it was 20% off. I grabbed 30 mls of Zeppola from BCF while it was on sale.

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I went out on a limb and grabbed 30mls while it was 20% off.

I'm thinking that 30 mls will go fast !!

Will you also be mixing some CAP Butter (or ?) to give the Sweet Rice mix with...

FA0187A-TONNO-TUNA_iap2-zo.png .

..more of a "Toro" Nigiri Sushi flavored vape ? :idea:

Ron
:D:D
---
"Let's just say I was testing the bounds of reality. I was curious to see what would happen. That's all it was curiosity. "-Jim Morrison

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm thinking that 30 mls will go fast !!

Will you also be mixing some CAP Butter (or ?) to give the Sweet Rice mix with...

View attachment 86121 .

..more of a "Toro" Nigiri Sushi flavored vape ? :idea:

Ron
:D:D
---
"Let's just say I was testing the bounds of reality. I was curious to see what would happen. That's all it was curiosity. "-Jim Morrison
I just can't bring myself to vape meat....except Bacon. Bacon is good for any purpose. Lol!

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
This needs to naturally age at least two weeks, preferably three, or by normal custard rules - the longer the better. And I made mine with a 60vg/40pg ratio, YMMV.
Any and all feedback welcome!

I thought for sure I had some CAP Vanilla Custard V1. After 35 mins. of searching last night, all I could find was V2. :(

Instead, I substituted store bought GOC in the same recipe amount. (6%)

wllmc says GOC is a S&V. (even though it does contain some CAP VC 1)

I guess I must try some now and in "at least two weeks, preferably three".

For science. :yes:

Ron
---
"Goldie, how many times have I told you guys that I don't want no horsing around on the airplane?"-Major T. J. "King" Kong (Dr. Strangelove)

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I thought for sure I had some CAP Vanilla Custard V1. After 35 mins. of searching last night, all I could find was V2. :(

Ron
---
"Goldie, how many times have I told you guys that I don't want no horsing around on the airplane?"-Major T. J. "King" Kong (Dr. Strangelove)
Let us know how it taste with the GOC instead of Caps Vanilla Custard.

NGAHaze

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I made up a small batch with an alternate custard and it was still great.

I tried to wait the recommended time but it smelled so good I decided to go ahead and try it a week early, two weeks early if you're shooting for a 3 week steep period. The next thing I know it's all gone and I'm left standing there going :xD: 'cause now I won't be able to see how good it would have been after 2 weeks.

I have now mixed up another much larger batch and I'm patiently waiting, so far at least. The trick for me is not to stick my nose in it, figuratively speaking only of course, lol.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Ron
---
I know I said I was gonna try GOC in this recipe but still haven't gotten around to doing it - so how was it? It has to be better because GOC is much better than Caps anything...lol!

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
- so how was it? It has to be better because GOC is much better than Caps anything...lol!

Of the 6 new to me mixes I made that day, it seemed that your fine recipe was the one that would benefit the most with a few days of aging. Tonight will be sample night. Maybe sooner.:)

Ron
---
"In time, all things work to your advantage when you pursue them with an open heart."- Miyamoto Musashi

RonJS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I know I said I was gonna try GOC in this recipe but still haven't gotten around to doing it - so how was it? It has to be better because GOC is much better than Caps anything...lol!

I sampled 4 mls of this recipe I made 3 or so days ago. Some may wonder how I might still have "store bought" GOC. Well, while GOC is certainly the best custard flavoring I've ever had; I'm just not a big custard fan. Heck, I've haven't touched a Caps Custard bottle in well over 2 years. I personally group custard flavorings between 2 groups. One of Caps/GOC and one of FA or INW type Custards (including Creme Brulee). I do from time to time enjoy the latter in supporting roles in mixes. Believe me, I've tried but I just don't find the ultra rich and vanilla packed custard recipes all that enjoyable.

This Crema Fritta recipe using GOC is very good! I'm thinking a few more weeks of aging will only make it even better. Certainly my favorite use of GOC.

I just received my first bottle of FA Metaphor and have not yet tried it as a single flavor. The combination of it with the other non custard ingredients have toned down the over rich sensations I do not care for in some custards. I'm getting a bit, but not a whole lot of fried notes and may cut out 5 mls and try a tiny addition of FA Joy and or AP.

The 1 drop of FLV Rich Cinnamon in a 30 ml mix was, for me, the perfect amount to provide a background light cinnamon flavor. I'm certainly glad I tried this mix and look forward to having another sample in a few weeks.

Ron
---
"Great things are done by a series of small things brought together."- Vincent Van Gogh

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I sampled 4 mls of this recipe I made 3 or so days ago. Some may wonder how I might still have "store bought" GOC. Well, while GOC is certainly the best custard flavoring I've ever had; I'm just not a big custard fan. Heck, I've haven't touched a Caps Custard bottle in well over 2 years. I personally group custard flavorings between 2 groups. One of Caps/GOC and one of FA or INW type Custards (including Creme Brulee). I do from time to time enjoy the latter in supporting roles in mixes. Believe me, I've tried but I just don't find the ultra rich and vanilla packed custard recipes all that enjoyable.

This Crema Fritta recipe using GOC is very good! I'm thinking a few more weeks of aging will only make it even better. Certainly my favorite use of GOC.

I just received my first bottle of FA Metaphor and have not yet tried it as a single flavor. The combination of it with the other non custard ingredients have toned down the over rich sensations I do not care for in some custards. I'm getting a bit, but not a whole lot of fried notes and may cut out 5 mls and try a tiny addition of FA Joy and or AP.

The 1 drop of FLV Rich Cinnamon in a 30 ml mix was, for me, the perfect amount to provide a background light cinnamon flavor. I'm certainly glad I tried this mix and look forward to having another sample in a few weeks.

Ron
---
"Great things are done by a series of small things brought together."- Vincent Van Gogh
:) Cool next time I mix this recipe I'm using GOC! Thanks for the heads up!

NGAHaze

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
If T can picture me licking my screen, well I can just see that bottle stuck on the end of your nose.:teehee:

(11).jpg

Howard Hughes

the way of the future....
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So yesterday was mixing day (I only mix about every 6 weeks) & I made two, 15-ml batches (in addition to the other 14 recipes I made). One with Metaphor & one with Zeppola.
They both smell real nice, but I think I got a pinch more of cinnamon in the one with the Zeppola- we'll see. I'm going to try them once a week (starting next week), which means they'll last me about a month. Can't hardly wait. :wait:

Howard Hughes

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This morning I've tried both batches of this recipe that I made 6 days ago. I usually wait a little longer on bakeries & custards, but they smelled so good I couldn't resist. I made one batch just as originally posted here & then the second one was subbing Zeppola (3%) for the Metaphor. After vaping a half tank of each at 6 days now I'd have to say the original (Metaphor) recipe is indeed the best. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Zeppola (I have an amped up version of Ckemist's Circus Cobbler recipe it's a major part of that I make frequently), but the Metaphor is better (at least at this stage). It seems fuller, giving more mouth feel than the Zepp. I like the way the cinnamon works with it better than the Zeppola. That one seems a little "drier". The original one is more moist & almost feels like you're actually eating something lol. If they both continue to steep like this, I will be escalating this recipe up to my "large batch" list soon. It has a wonderful, sweet, full flavor. You may have struck gold here, girl! Thanks for sharing this. :D

Last edited:

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
This morning I've tried both batches of this recipe that I made 6 days ago. I usually wait a little longer on bakeries & custards, but they smelled so good I couldn't resist. I made one batch just as originally posted here & then the second one was subbing Zeppola (3%) for the Metaphor. After vaping a half tank of each at 6 days now I'd have to say the original (Metaphor) recipe is indeed the best. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Zeppola (I have an amped up version of Ckemist's Circus Cobbler recipe it's a major part of) that I make frequently, but the Metaphor is better (at least at this stage). It seems fuller, giving more mouth feel than the Zepp. I like the way the cinnamon works with it better than the Zeppola. That one seems a little "drier". The original one is more moist & almost feels like you're actually eating something lol. If they both continue to steep like this, I will be escalating this recipe up to my "large batch" list soon. It has a wonderful, sweet, full flavor. You may have struck gold here, girl! Thanks for sharing this. :D
I wish we had a "love" button! This is the best review I've read, very descriptive and detailed, and I thank you! I'm very flattered, and very happy you like it!

Howard Hughes

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I wish we had a "love" button! This is the best review I've read, very descriptive and detailed, and I thank you! I'm very flattered, and very happy you like it!

Thank you. I meant every word- this is a great recipe.
I don't know if you're on ELR or not, but we could use it posted up over there. I believe a lot of folks would love it.
Keep up the good work!

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just made 2 versions of this. One as written and one subbing Game Over Custard at 6% for the CAP V1 Van. Custard. Waiting impatiently. Thanks for this recipe Teresa P!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
PLEASE let me know how the GO version turns out! I still haven't gotten to try it...

hellcatrydr

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Myy gawwd, I just dread going to ECX for anything! :kickbutt:

Their site is sooo horribly horribly slowwww...:gaah:

It just sat there watching for minutes, waiting for the site to add the FE flavor to my cart!...
waiting...
waiting...
WAITING.

Then as has happened before, I gave up on the purchase and fired off what must be my 4th complaint ticket in 9 or 10 years...
All my previous tickets were polite and for the same problem... and all I ever got back from ECX was yip-yap.
So today's ticket was not polite....

@Teresa P Forgive the rant, frustrated as chit...
I really wanna try your Crema Frita.
Is there any other supplier I can get FE flavors from?

Last edited:

hellcatrydr

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
  1. This recipe doesn't require any FE flavors, are you maybe thinking of Squonk's recipes?
    [*]ETA: I agree with you on the ECX website ... it's difficult to use.
    Yes dangit! I'm having trouble keeping track of my enablers. :) Geez, Teresa, Will, Squonk, Teresa, Jaggy, Ron (except for the tuna juice)
I guess I was tryin to get stuffs for both recipes in the same place.
I wish Bull City carried FE rice.

hellcatrydr

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Okay I'm at Bull City gettin teh stuffs for this. :) Thanks Teresa!
I'm really excited about a great cinnamon flavor. I've tried Ceylon a couple times and TFA Cinnamon Roll and didn't really like em.

Ummm... looky at all these new FA flavors!!! :bliss:
Coccoon... Labyrinth... WoW...
Have you tried any of these?

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have WoW, but don't remember off the top of my head (tip of my tongue?) what it tastes like. Don't think I've ever had labyrinth, and pretty sure I tried cocoon and disliked it and gave it away. Perhaps when I make it through this first cup of coffee, I'll remember a bit more.... :teehee:
The ECX site works much better if cache and cookies are clear. I visit them religiously. And make sure you give these guys a try - https://www.flavorplace.com. I've yet to be disappointed. ;)

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not in Tennessee...I'm 3 hours ahead of ya, and just getting up. ;)

VU Sponsors