Become a Patron!

Couple of questions

Hi guys - been doing great with my Geekvape that I bought. I am doing 12mg freebase right now. Same I have been doing all along since we tried 6 then 9 then 12. Wondering if I could or should go more? Tying to make it more satisfying. Here's the question. Do our throats "get used to it" almost immediately? I really like the throat hit...and after a little while that I haven't vaped, The first few puffs I definitely feel the "burn" of the throat hit like I do when I first hit on a cig. After those first few puffs on the vape, it goes away and I don't feel that anymore. Is that normal? Anything you can do about that?

Secondly, I know none of you are doctors so I don't know how much help you'll be able to give, but here goes. Something that may be interfering with stuff. Bupropion -- Wellbutrin. I have been on Wellbutrin for a while now (3 or 4 months). It was to help me curb my desire to smoke. It worked wonderfully for my wife. But me? Nah. Nothing. Still kept taking it hoping it would eventually kick in but I got nothing. Still taking it. Wondering if that could be keeping me from being satisfied? I take two a day and figured I should just get off of it so I took it down to 1 a day earlier this week. Several nights of not sleeping well so I know that withdrawal feeling. Anyways...that's neither here nor there. Thoughts?

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
18mg would be the next level. It get's bad after 12mg in higher wattage devices.
Is the Geekvape device a pod system or a mod with tank? It really depends on what kind of vape it is.

Wellbutrin is an anti depressant that is being used off label for smoking cessation.
I wouldn't personally take an anti depressant as a quit smoking aid.

Have you tried any of the higher nicotine nic salt vapes?
They are less harsh which allows you to vape at much higher nicotine levels.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
18mg would be the next level. It get's bad after 12mg in higher wattage devices.
Is the Geekvape device a pod system or a mod with tank? It really depends on what kind of vape it is.

Wellbutrin is an anti depressant that is being used off label for smoking cessation.

Had 15W max Nord using salts w/ .6Ω
Changed to sub ohm tank w/ .6 & freebase.

I tried bupropion twice before vaping. Didn't work for me either. I also suggest to vape only.

You could go up in nic but that wouldn't be my path. I'd stop the pills and give the 12mg more of a chance. Goal should be to reduce nic mg.

If you want more of a throat hit on every pull, change the atty or coil to one that will give you that, and probably with lower mg nic.

Also, if your using 20/80, could change to 30/70 since PG provides throat hit.

IMO :)

Last edited:

BobsHere

From Wherever
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Throat hit variables:
Nic level, freebase or salt
PG/VG
Device and draw

My thoughts on this were covered pretty well in the other thread. I too need throat hit, can't DL all day.
It is common for the first few pulls to have a little more throat hit, it's the ones after that you should focus on.
Adjustments are needed if you're not getting enough. You're already vaping at a nic level that's twice what most people DL. Since your local shop is mixing for you, you could try a little more PG but I dont think that will get you were you want to be.

I still believe you need to put some MTL style in the mix. It is possible to dial it in to the same hit as a cig and have it stay that way all day. As for the satisfaction part, it's difficult because no vape will duplicate it. There are other things at play that put the nic to brain hard and fast in a cig.

If I was trying to substitute vaping for smoking I would definitely ditch the wellbutrin. If I was trying to quit both and could tolerate it....different story.

Perhaps a MTL tank for your mod with some 50/50 12, 18, or even 24mg freebase?
If that doesn't smack you in the back of your head maybe have the wife do it, I'm sure she would be happy to.. :giggle:

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
If you want more of a throat hit on every pull, change the atty or coil to one that will give you that, and probably with lower mg nic.

IMO :)
I would definitely ditch the wellbutrin. If I was trying to quit both and could tolerate it....different story.

Will mirror both of these pieces of advice, and even, ...

That one as well.

Would first try the 70 PG / 30 VG juice as it is the simpler fix. Next, up, I would look at a coil. If you're using a 0.60 Ω coil, try dropping that down to a 0.30 Ω coil. If that still doesn't get "it" for you, would look to MTL style of vaping as an optional to help when DL style isn't tickling your fancy.

I use 18 mg per ml nicotine strength and sub ohm vape using DL. I have unsuccessfully tried a few different times to drop to 12 mg per ml strength. My problem is genuinely hormonal and neural, though.

I was literally born with some mild brain damage. My pituitary gland has never really functioned; ergo my physiology handles a bit more nicotine than most. Even dual use, vape and rub snuff. No, not exactly at the same time.

Think you've gotten some excellent advice from others here. You're correct, we generally aren't doctors. Please consult those for medical advice, generally, and measure in your own good common sense.

A big hint to keep in mind, "listen to your body". Tonight I was sitting and feeling tepid. Well, found out my body was craving water. So, I acted like a camel and sucked the water down. Your body knows you better than you think.

Also, having to face some banal depression, or what was classed as that, ... Wellbutrin doesn't work for depression, either. Of course, found mine is actually anhedonia, not so much depression but more so a lacking capacity to enjoy, everything. I have to work on that mentally for myself, serotonin helps but it is just a help only. Can see, know that.

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Everything everyone else said, also u can try upping the wattage (warmer), or try a heavier flavor (i.e. coffee or peanut butter as opposed to berry)

Yes nicotine has slight anesthetic properties, u can tell if u have ever gotten juice in your mouth.

I wont comment on nic levels, other than to say u are nowhere even close to 'full strength', so upping the nic is nothing to worry about in that sense

Another is to put a regular sized 510 drip tip on what is probably a dtl tank with a wide bore 810, essentially what was said about switching to a mtl tank, except u get the dtl amount of vapor runing thru a mtl size mouthpiece

dubya314

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Not sure if it's something you like, or even can stand, but maybe try adding some menthol or ice? This is what did it for me. Adds a throat hit, and also a sensation of smoking imo. This is what did it for me. I thought for the longest time it was more nic I craved, but it was just a closer sensation to actually smoking

Thanks all. You guys rock! So it's a sub-ohm coil I am using. The display on the vape says it's .2 ohms. And the other coil it came with is .6 . My replies:
I'm at 12, but could go up.
I used nic salts exclusively when I was vaping 6 years ago. Liked it. Can shops mix up their own nic salt joice? I thought I had heard it was only something you could buy pre-made so you get what you get. Consensus here seems to be that freebase is better than nic salts, however.
You could go up in nic but that wouldn't be my path. I'd stop the pills and give the 12mg more of a chance. Goal should be to reduce nic mg.
Yep. I thought the same thing. On my way to ditching the pills...down to 1 instead of 2 per day. Body finally used to that. Will probably stop it altogether in about a week. I kinda do want to give the 12mg a chance and see what happens after I am off the pills.

I think I'll wait on the atty and/or coil change...try 1 thing at a time. I'm afraid the .6 coil that came with it probably won't perform as well as the .2 I have in there...but you never know. Gonna stick with the .2 for now. The default the shop mixes is 70/30. The tank is a sub-ohm 3.5ml tank.
If that still doesn't get "it" for you, would look to MTL style of vaping as an optional to help when DL style isn't tickling your fancy.
I've tried to do MTL. I can't get it. I've closed the air flow all the way and still not as much resistance as a cigarette would have so I tend to not be able to do MTL...I still tend to do DTL no matter what...plus the fact that when I do try MTL, I feel like I'm not taking in enough. Barely any feeling and any vapor coming out.
u can try upping the wattage (warmer), or try a heavier flavor (i.e. coffee or peanut butter as opposed to berry)
I'm running at about 30w. I've found I can handle as much as 48w. Yes, it's some improvement, but I worry about burning out the coil faster and draining the battery faster. Flavor-wise yeah that's a good idea. I love coffee, not sure I'd like pb. I could do cinnamon...I remember getting some years ago...but it was really a high high nic content (I didn't know what I was doing or asking for at the time) and I couldn't use it.
maybe try adding some menthol or ice? This is what did it for me. Adds a throat hit, and also a sensation of smoking imo.
Another flavor idea. I never smoked menthols...I hated them. But this isn't technically a menthol flavoring and I do like something like wintergreen or spearmint. I'll definitely have to check into those. Could help.

Thanks guys. And sorry if I've asked things that were already answered in my own earlier thread.

BobsHere

From Wherever
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I've tried to do MTL. I can't get it. I've closed the air flow all the way and still not as much resistance as a cigarette would have so I tend to not be able to do MTL...
Not off that sub ohm tank. Would have to go back to the Nord. I can't remember how tight the air was on the Nord, seems like it was a little loose but not too bad. You might need something adjustable to make it tighter.

You should be able to MTL with those coils you bought, Think it was the 1.2 (?)
If you haven't already put some of that 12mg freebase in there and give it a go.

Hang in there....

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
*steps off a public transit bus looking like a big tall wooly morlock, reads ... nods, sits on heavy-duty bench, sees another bus rolling out, sticks arm out catching in the open door, pulls self aboard and rolls on with bus*

I do stand six foot tall and about three and a half to four foot wide shoulder to shoulder. Everyone says I wear 300 lbs well, I say let me give you a few hundred and see how you wear it. Nobody will take me up.

I'm a public school custodian slash material handler. Don't even need to try, and folks seem especially nice around me. Then, I'm respectable, friendly, hardworking. Imagine if I unleashed the shadows inside. Hm, ho 'bout that? *grins*

Nope, too well-trained. *sighs*

Last edited:

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
@SnapDragon NY and I both started off vaping with cinnamon-type e-liquid flavors. I think it really helped me leave the cigarettes behind. I'd second the flavor suggestion, but don't know of a store-bought flavor to recommend, because I make my own cinnamon mixes. DIY Pink Bubblegum (a la @HeadInClouds) is a mixture of cinnamon, orange, wintergreen, vanilla, and sweetener. Imo it's just about the perfect combination of flavors to keep throat hit going and taste buds entertained indefinitely.

Also want to suggest that you probably aren't getting the most out of your 0.2 ohm coil if you're running it at 30W. Maybe start at 30, then after the throat hit fades, bump it up to 38 or 40. If that's a little warm for you, open the airflow up a little.

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Thanks all. You guys rock! So it's a sub-ohm coil I am using. The display on the vape says it's .2 ohms. And the other coil it came with is .6 . My replies:

I'm at 12, but could go up.

I used nic salts exclusively when I was vaping 6 years ago. Liked it. Can shops mix up their own nic salt joice? I thought I had heard it was only something you could buy pre-made so you get what you get. Consensus here seems to be that freebase is better than nic salts, however.

Yep. I thought the same thing. On my way to ditching the pills...down to 1 instead of 2 per day. Body finally used to that. Will probably stop it altogether in about a week. I kinda do want to give the 12mg a chance and see what happens after I am off the pills.

I think I'll wait on the atty and/or coil change...try 1 thing at a time. I'm afraid the .6 coil that came with it probably won't perform as well as the .2 I have in there...but you never know. Gonna stick with the .2 for now. The default the shop mixes is 70/30. The tank is a sub-ohm 3.5ml tank.

I've tried to do MTL. I can't get it. I've closed the air flow all the way and still not as much resistance as a cigarette would have so I tend to not be able to do MTL...I still tend to do DTL no matter what...plus the fact that when I do try MTL, I feel like I'm not taking in enough. Barely any feeling and any vapor coming out.
What tank are u using?
and yes, a shop can mix up using nic salt or fb. Not sure its legal in general anymore, maybe it is state dependent

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Not sure its legal in general anymore
From what I understand of it, it is like an ABC license. If your business registers to sell tobacco, you can then feasibly sell nicotine mixed ejuice as well as it is now declared as a tobacco product. You need to pay regulated taxes and for licensing fees. Get busted selling to minors and lose your license for tobacco sales, possibly. If the legislation and enforcement of it is done reasonably, it seems reasonable that ought to be the "way" to do things.

The trouble being, Big Tobacco has all the legislation in its deep pockets. And it isn't only Big Tobacco, there is also pharmacology, litigators / lawyers, insurance, medical and so on all taking a bit of pie. Start following the money, and you'll see the whole "protect the children" mantra is a pure sham. Laws already exist to protect children. Adult parents rather let a nanny State take care of their progeny. Teachers who are supposed to teach are overrun by students who do not even have the capacity to learn, much less flush a toilet. Teachers blame parents, parents blame teachers. *makes a gesture universally recognized as a circle jerk* Round and round, ...

"As long as I'm not responsible, or accountable."

They toss platitudes of caring about kids out there as happy feel good marketing. Do they really care? No, and if you actually do, they reprimand, and / or worse for/ to you for it. Know from first-hand experience. Kids are simply Duracells anymore, not get the reference, see The Matrix.

What tank are u using?
It's the geek vape nano sub-ohm tank.

Also want to suggest that you probably aren't getting the most out of your 0.2 ohm coil if you're running it at 30W. Maybe start at 30, then after the throat hit fades, bump it up to 38 or 40. If that's a little warm for you, open the airflow up a little.
Yup I just tried it...seems like it will help some. I went today and grabbed some new flavors to try. I love wintergreen so I have that. Wanted something citrusy so I got a good lemon one. Also love cinnamon so I got that too. Sounds like I can also maybe mix and match a bit. Make it interesting. Haven't tried them yet as I am finishing up what's in my tank. Probably will be ready to try one tomorrow. Holding steady at 12mg. Like she said, I can always bring any of them back in and she can add a few more mg. She can do, 13, 14, 15.... whatever.

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
@SnapDragon NY and I both started off vaping with cinnamon-type e-liquid flavors.
Yes Cinnamon Fireball helped get me off cigarettes. One of the few flavors I could taste and that tasted better than a cigarette. My local vape shop mixed their own flavors, they had a free flavor bar so I could try many different flavors. I think I started at 6mgs, but that was too strong, so down to 3mgs and just right. I used an ego battery and had to make sure to use only Kanger Evod glass tanks. Cinnamon would eat thru plastic back in the day. I like more of the bubblegum,candy and fruit flavors. My favorite flavor today that I have been stuck on as an all day vape is Jungle King made by Freeman Juice Co. Tastes like a juicy fruit gum except with a sour edge. Been vaping this for years. I completely quit cigarettes on Dec. 2014- still not a cigarette smoked almost 9 years later.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Cinnamon would eat thru plastic back in the day.
Menthol also reacted against plastic. Tried an Innokin plastic tank with some Hawk Sauce (it has menthol). Found out what it meant to crack a tank. The bottom of the tank sleeve (plastic) had fused itself to the steel deck. It took me using pliers and literally cracking the tank to get it off. From then on I used Pyrex glass in tanks, shortly after switching to RDAs, goodbye tanks.

Apologies for the editing, revising. Sitting here, I recalled a recent occurrence, reading over this post and the subject of glass. Had a glass topper for Damn Vape's Mongrel recently, well, basically blow up and shatter when trying to remove it from the deck. Guessing one of two things happened given recent heat and humidity.

1. The o-rings drew moisture (humidity) and expanded, putting undue physical force against the glass.

2. The glass itself expanded due to the same reasoning and pressed itself against the o-rings and deck.

*Again editing*

3. Coil ends protruded out of the sides of the clamping, making the topper stuck on the deck. Found this out having similar happen with metal topper. Users, watch your coil ends. They cannot overhang in the slightest.

Minor suggestion for @Damn Vape's, please use a good quality Pyrex glass for those toppers, thanks. :) I enjoy glass toppers on RDAs, liked Pyrex for tanks. The glass alters the vapor texture and to me, it smooths it way out. I get a better sense of a flavor using glass than with metal or "plastics", inclusive of Ultem as ultem is plastic based.

If Damn Vape does use Pyrex, apologies. After spotting the issue of the coil ends, I think that is more likely the case and ergo a bit of user error.

Yes, Damn Vapes sent me a couple of glass toppers. Some lack fit on the Mongrel base, although I'll retry them. Borax tends to draw humidity, Pyrex apparently heat, or otherwise treats the glass they make to avoid drawing humidity. This is why it does so well in the baking industry.

"Ah, I put the casserole in a glass pan and shoved it in the oven."

"Are you nuts? It'll crack and bust, be full of glass!"

"It was Pyrex."

"Oh, well, you ought to have said that first."

Last edited:

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT
Had a glass topper for Damn Vape's Mongrel recently, well, basically blow up and shatter when trying to remove it from the deck.
Wow that is terrible- I have never used the glass cap for the Mongrel. Sorry that happened to you since I suggested the Mongrel RDA to you.
Yes those tank Crackers, MT Baker Vapor had a big list of "tank cracker" liquids. Once I got the glass Kanger Evod tanks no worries about certain liquids and their reaction to plastic tanks. I still have a few boxes of those tanks, lol!

nadalama

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
Menthol also reacted against plastic. Tried an Innokin plastic tank with some Hawk Sauce (it has menthol). Found out what it meant to crack a tank. The bottom of the tank sleeve (plastic) had fused itself to the steel deck. It took me using pliers and literally cracking the tank to get it off. From then on I used Pyrex glass in tanks, shortly after switching to RDAs, goodbye tanks.

Apologies for the editing, revising. Sitting here, I recalled a recent occurrence, reading over this post and the subject of glass. Had a glass topper for Damn Vape's Mongrel recently, well, basically blow up and shatter when trying to remove it from the deck. Guessing one of two things happened given recent heat and humidity.

1. The o-rings drew moisture (humidity) and expanded, putting undue physical force against the glass.

2. The glass itself expanded due to the same reasoning and pressed itself against the o-rings and deck.

*Again editing*

3. Coil ends protruded out of the sides of the clamping, making the topper stuck on the deck. Found this out having similar happen with metal topper. Users, watch your coil ends. They cannot overhang in the slightest.

Minor suggestion for @Damn Vape's, please use a good quality Pyrex glass for those toppers, thanks. :) I enjoy glass toppers on RDAs, liked Pyrex for tanks. The glass alters the vapor texture and to me, it smooths it way out. I get a better sense of a flavor using glass than with metal or "plastics", inclusive of Ultem as ultem is plastic based.

If Damn Vape does use Pyrex, apologies. After spotting the issue of the coil ends, I think that is more likely the case and ergo a bit of user error.

Yes, Damn Vapes sent me a couple of glass toppers. Some lack fit on the Mongrel base, although I'll retry them. Borax tends to draw humidity, Pyrex apparently heat, or otherwise treats the glass they make to avoid drawing humidity. This is why it does so well in the baking industry.

"Ah, I put the casserole in a glass pan and shoved it in the oven."

"Are you nuts? It'll crack and bust, be full of glass!"

"It was Pyrex."

"Oh, well, you ought to have said that first."

I bought a glass cap for a B2K from Trinity Glass and the same thing happened to it. Great honking shards of glass went everywhere. It's a miracle that none of them sliced me up. So it isn't just Damn Vape's toppers.

I have one of those caps for the Mongrel, too, but have been nervous about using it, because of the Trinity incident. Think now that I'll just let it lay.

MyMagicMist

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Sorry that happened to you since I suggested the Mongrel RDA to you.
No, no worries on that end. Stuff happens. Also in part likely my own doing, in a way. Really need to watch leaving burs, especially ones I don't notice. *sighs, smh* Getting too old. "I'm better'n this."

So it isn't just Damn Vape's toppers.

I have one of those caps for the Mongrel, too, but have been nervous about using it, because of the Trinity incident. Think now that I'll just let it lay.

Okay, good to note. Like I said, too, little burs of the coil ends were sticking out of the deck sides. Very little burs indeed, I had to really rub over the deck to notice them. They likely helped in getting the glass stuck. The metal topper got stuck, but I got it back off with little incident. Then I rechecked the deck, noticed the burs. Pushed them down with blunted needle nose pliers end, no more issue.

VU Sponsors