Become a Patron!

Could you help me understand this?

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi people.

I have been here a while now, but still there is one thing I do not understand.

Why, is it that say I used 28 gauge to make a 1.1 Ohm Coil, then 26 gauge, the 26 makes much, much more vapour?

Is it the surface area increase, as I have to do more wraps to reach the same resistance as a thinnner gauge wire, or is there more in play creating more vapour? This is only at 13.5 watts, and provides largeish clouds(They wouldn't win a competion, but are much,much larger than my nautilus for example).

Also, why, in my RDA does the same coil need at least 20 watts thrown at it to provide the same amount of vapour as my RTA with the same coil at around 13.5 watts? This is the part that really baffles me the most.

Thanks for every who has diven me advice so far, and thanks for anyone that can answer these questions this time round too :).

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
To answer your first question, yes, it's the surface area, more coil contacting the wick, and more current flowing through the coil since electrical current travels through a conductor using the skin effect (flows on the outer edge of the conductor. I'm not sure what could cause the difference given that the coil is the same gauge, turns, ohms, etc.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thanks for your answer. It has me puzzled to the second part, although I do get confused easily and thinking it could of been a lower resistance coil that needed more power, not the same one. As I have double checked and it actually does work fine on the same amount of watts, second part was me being confused lol.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Its the Wacky World of Vaping.

Being confused is just one small part of it!

Tim Vatic

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
try not to put too much thought in it. I suggest you find out a combo that works for you and stick with it. Like when I'm building a coil for a tank, I rarely deviate from my standard 26g kanthal 4 wraps around a 3mm screwdriver = around .7ohms and its always good. Don't drive yourself crazy trying to learn everything in a week or two. I've been vaping 5 years and I still learn new stuff every day. This hobby of ours evolves quick. :D

zaroba

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Could be an airflow differences.
RDAs can have *far* more airflow then a tank.
More air = less dense clouds if the hits are the same length for both the RDA and tank.

If your filling your mouth or lungs with each hit, then again, the airflow will play a role.
More airflow = less time needed to fill your mouth or lungs with vapor, which is less dense.
Less airflow = more dense vapor, and if filling your lungs or mouth each hit, then a much longer hit and thus larger clouds of dense vapor.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thank you all for your answers, they have shone some light on the wattage issue, so I understand more now.

I have found I enjoy around 1 to 1.2 ohm coils the best, but that is single coil.

I want to run dual coils, but end up with less vapour as my device is only 30 watt. I did not realise that two coils means it needs double the power. I was advised if I built lower, I could do it, or buy a device with more watts. How low would I have to go? Should I halve my preffered resistance so I can get the correct power to the coils?

In all honesty single coil satisfys me, but I would like to build a dual coil fog machine, I was impressed with single, but if I can get two doing that it will be insane. Only thing is, I have tried sub ohming single coil and to me, it just tasted burnt. Will this be the same with dual coil, or will I find a difference?

Thanks everyone thats gave helpful answers, I do appreciate it :).

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Worked out the Sigelei had issues from purchase. It is now working OK, can fire dual 26 gauge coils, and has not falled back into its low wattage mode for quite a while.

I believe when I made these threads, the Sig was the only mod I had, and it was outputting 15 watts max I would say. This is the reason I believed I needed A LOT A LOT more power, so got the 150.

I changed the sig 30's modes from dc-dc to pwm a few times, and it now works how it should, and is equal at 30 watts to any of my other devices.

It has been working for at least a week and a half, I am going to give it a month untill I take it out with me.

Where it was my first mod though, I thought it was how it was supposed to be, but now realise it had an issue, now sorted(I opened up the insides, taped some bare wire, stopped a short in the ground wire in the base, even though I understand the ground will not really be shorting as it is connecting to itself at a different point) and checking the Chip by pressing fire, pulling the battery, and re inserting seems to have somehow 're-set' the 30, also switching modes a few times solved the issue, as it would still do it, but after enough changes, it stopped it. It works fine in PWM now.

I do not know what fixed it, but I am glad to have it back. I think if it broke for good, I would get another.

Although my next purchase, next weekend, will be the SMOK Xcube 2.

VU Sponsors