Become a Patron!

Coughing, like, a lot

nitsuj

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've been vaping off and on for a while. Probably since 09ish. Did the cig alikes, ego, ego twist, my first serious mod was the original Tesla.

Enough with the history lesson. I'm not back into vaping, and on a Fuchai 213 with a few different sub-ohm tanks. I vape light during the day, then in the evening unwind in my easy chair and vape while watching tv or surfing. Here's the deal, at night, I cough. With every toot. Like a lot. Choking almost. It's not a shortness of breath type of cough. Its and irritation of my throat. Happens with all juices. It's so weird, because vaping isn't new to me, so it's not like I'm not used to it. And it's not happening during the day.

Anyone else experience this?

Whiskey

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I did when I tried a direct lung inhale, I switched how I inhaled with vaping and do a mouth to lung inhale and that stopped my coughing. I also discovered with too much PG in my juice mix , I will cough too, so I use a higher VG mix and found my vape was smoother and better. Welcome to VU and Good luck!!!:)

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I've been vaping off and on for a while. Probably since 09ish. Did the cig alikes, ego, ego twist, my first serious mod was the original Tesla.

Enough with the history lesson. I'm not back into vaping, and on a Fuchai 213 with a few different sub-ohm tanks. I vape light during the day, then in the evening unwind in my easy chair and vape while watching tv or surfing. Here's the deal, at night, I cough. With every toot. Like a lot. Choking almost. It's not a shortness of breath type of cough. Its and irritation of my throat. Happens with all juices. It's so weird, because vaping isn't new to me, so it's not like I'm not used to it. And it's not happening during the day.

Welcome to VU!

What is your eJuice PG/VG level? What's your nicotine level? MTL or DL?

nitsuj

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
DL, various juices. Currently Binge vapors Strawberry starburst, 3mg. I think it's a 70/30 or 60/40. It seems to happen with all my juices though. And both of the tanks I'm currently using. CCI Maus and Herakles Plus.

So here's a weird thing: what about the position I'm in while sitting in my recliner surfing? Sitting here now, I'm slightly reclined, with my head tilted forward, chin on my chest as I type. Vape, cough. Stand up, neck straight, no cough. Weird right? I wonder if this seating position makes my throat susceptible to irritation? I always thought it only happened at night, but at night, I'm always sitting in the same chair.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
You might have throat irritation FROM all the coughing, not as the cause of it -- I have never been able to smoke lying down or lying back, and now also have a very hard time vaping that way. But I have asthma, which makes breathing while lying flat on the back very dicey. Could be all that VG plus lying back is giving you something that simulates an asthma attack -- basically just a closure of the airways. Cough a lot, and it irritates the throat, which could cause more coughing.

Or, you could have developed an allergy -- an allergy requires a sensitization, it doesn't just appear out of nowhere -- before you can be allergic to something, you have to encounter it.

Andria

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
...I wonder if this seating position makes my throat susceptible to irritation? I always thought it only happened at night, but at night, I'm always sitting in the same chair.
It's possible. However, you might have an allergic reaction, since you mentioned vaping a lot more at home. Some people are allergic to PG.
Personally, since I make my own eJuice, I prefer having 85-90VG. Even a 80VG eJuice can be "scratchy" to my throat, sometimes leading to some coughing too. You might want to try higher VG juice yourself.

nitsuj

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've ruled out allergic reaction. I was off today and vaped my face off all day. No coughing. I vape non-stop on my hour commute both ways to work. I get home, I hit this chair and it's coughing time. So, if I am allergic to anything, it's my trusty old easy chair. As weird as it sounds, I think it's a combination of a few things. One, my contorted seating position is putting a kink in my airway, and two, the kink makes me cough, and as Andria pointed out, coughing makes me cough more. When I smoked, I didn't do it in the house, so this may well happen if I smoked in the chair as well, but I would have never known.

Truth be told, I need an excuse to get out of this chair more often anyhow.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I've ruled out allergic reaction. I was off today and vaped my face off all day. No coughing. I vape non-stop on my hour commute both ways to work. I get home, I hit this chair and it's coughing time. So, if I am allergic to anything, it's my trusty old easy chair. As weird as it sounds, I think it's a combination of a few things. One, my contorted seating position is putting a kink in my airway, and two, the kink makes me cough, and as Andria pointed out, coughing makes me cough more. When I smoked, I didn't do it in the house, so this may well happen if I smoked in the chair as well, but I would have never known.

Truth be told, I need an excuse to get out of this chair more often anyhow.

I run into this everytime I have insomnia and read in bed -- used to, if I wanted a smoke, I had to get up, put on the robe, go out to the porch. It's too easy to grab the vape off the nightstand and take a few hits... and then have to use my rescue inhaler, because vaping lying back is as problematic as smoking was, in that position. And yeah, the more you cough, the more irritated the entire airway, from throat to bronchioles, becomes, which causes MORE coughing.

Could be you have something similar to the weirdness I suffered in my breathing even before I developed full-blown asthma -- never could smoke lying down, couldn't swim underwater very far because breathing out has always been "digital" for me, I can't "meter" it, it's either breathe out or breathe in. Sort of an asthmatic propensity, that may or may not ever develop to full-blown asthma.

Andria

SnapDragon NY

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
VU SWAT

Maybe you should get checked out by a Dr.? I do not cough when I vape, but my hubby who vapes and still smokes some cigs does! I coughed at first during the transition from smoking to vaping, lung clearing out, getting used to eliquids for maybe a month. I vape higher vg and my nic is at 3mg and I no longer cough,I do not smoke any cigarettes- but hubby coughs when he vapes because he is still smoking too, he has gone down from 2packs a day to about 5 cigarettes, I just wish he would stop smoking completely, and I think his coughing would stop?
I drink tons of water too- sorry that you are coughing so bad at night, I know that eliquids can be drying on the throat, maybe just more irritating to you at night after vaping during the day? What is your pg/vg and nic levels?
You are probably active and moving around during the day, keeping your lungs working better, but at night sitting in a chair , maybe your lungs are overcome with your vape, I don't know, I am not a Dr.?

VU Sponsors