Become a Patron!

Cotton question.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
OK, when I click on your pic, the box says 100% cotton, maybe that's just on my end?. No worries :)

Calikid

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
weird. It may be. No biggie. I was just confused when I saw it saying rayon. Have you tried the Rayon huckleberried ? Wondering if it's as good as they say it is.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
weird. It may be. No biggie. I was just confused when I saw it saying rayon. Have you tried the Rayon huckleberried ? Wondering if it's as good as they say it is.
That is weird, and since she was curious about it, I was posting since she'd not tried it, yet. And, yes, I have tried rayon :). Tried it about 2 years ago and it's all I use, since then. For those that do like rayon, over cotton, the flavor is cleaner, zero break-in time, wicks faster, and the wicks stay cleaner, longer. As with any wicking material, there is the learning curve of how much to use. Rayon shrinks, so you use more than you would cotton. I love the stuff!

Briandesimone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That is weird, and since she was curious about it, I was posting since she'd not tried it, yet. And, yes, I have tried rayon :). Tried it about 2 years ago and it's all I use, since then. For those that do like rayon, over cotton, the flavor is cleaner, zero break-in time, wicks faster, and the wicks stay cleaner, longer. As with any wicking material, there is the learning curve of how much to use. Rayon shrinks, so you use more than you would cotton. I love the stuff!
Do you get a weird taste from rayon? I tried it a couple months ago and had a really nasty taste to it.

Sent from my SM-S120VL using Tapatalk

Calikid

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Wow ok. I think I may try it. I have not heard any negative effects from anyone who is using it. It almost sounds too good to be true. Think I'll pick up a little and give it a go. Flavor is important to me and if I may be able to save on extracts using it, it all sounds good. Is that PIC the kind I should get as long as it say's 100% rayon fibers? There is a Sally Beauty near my flat.

Huckleberried

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Wow ok. I think I may try it. I have not heard any negative effects from anyone who is using it. It almost sounds too good to be true. Think I'll pick up a little and give it a go. Flavor is important to me and if I may be able to save on extracts using it, it all sounds good. Is that PIC the kind I should get as long as it say's 100% rayon fibers? There is a Sally Beauty near my flat.
Yes, 100% rayon fibers.

Do you get a weird taste from rayon? I tried it a couple months ago and had a really nasty taste to it.

I don't get a weird taste from rayon, but before I use it, I do make sure my hands are super clean. I've tried wicking in a hurry, thinking my hands were clean, lol. Rayon picks up oils from your skin VERY easily. CLEAN CLEAN hands.

Everyone has their preferences when it comes to wicking. A 500 ft box of rayon at about $13 might not be the way to go, if you're not sure. Another member said she'd found smaller bags for sale on ebay, so that might be a good way to go for sampling.

Briandesimone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes, 100% rayon fibers.

I don't get a weird taste from rayon, but before I use it, I do make sure my hands are super clean. I've tried wicking in a hurry, thinking my hands were clean, lol. Rayon picks up oils from your skin VERY easily. CLEAN CLEAN hands.

Everyone has their preferences when it comes to wicking. A 500 ft box of rayon at about $13 might not be the way to go, if you're not sure. Another member said she'd found smaller bags for sale on ebay, so that might be a good way to go for sampling.
I'll boil it and give it a try again. Maybe it was my hands.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'll boil it and give it a try again. Maybe it was my hands.

I wash my hands with unscented soap before I wick and I get a nasty taste from Rayon. So I don't believe your hands were an issue, not ruling it out but everytime I've tried Rayon it has an off taste.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Briandesimone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I wash my hands with unscented soap before I wick and I get a nasty taste from Rayon. So I don't believe your hands were an issue, not ruling it out but everytime I've tried Rayon it has an off taste.

It's possible. I'll give it one last shot.

Bigbob2322

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
To me Rayon is tasteless, another benefit to rayon is even if you somehow have a dry wick rayon will let you know with a kinda off taste that will save your wick from burning, can't do that with cotton. :)

xpen

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

Rayon is more tasteless than cotton, IMO something is wrong there...
Rayon seems to transfer more flavor than cotton, al other things equal, so it might be just a different way of rendering your flavor. Or, your rayon has been 'contaminated' by some substance/smell, it's very easy for it to pick up smells from nearby stuff, or from your skin as huckleberried said.
The only extra odor rayon can add in my experience is a 'nutty' background taste when you pack it too hard in the coil (which also results in a muted flavor, so it's easy to spot)
PS: apologies for OT

Last edited:

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Rayon is more tasteless than cotton, IMO something is wrong there...
Rayon seems to transfer more flavor than cotton, al other things equal, so it might be just a different way of rendering your flavor. Or, your rayon has been 'contaminated' by some substance/smell, it's very easy for it to pick up smells from nearby stuff, or from your skin as huckleberried said.
The only extra odor rayon can add in my experience is a 'nutty' background taste when you pack it too hard in the coil (which also results in a muted flavor, so it's easy to spot)
PS: apologies for OT
I've tried a couple times with it, also don't like the dry throat it gives me nor the way it feels or handles.

VapeVillian

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wanna try cheap Rayon? Walmart, 100ft organic, $4.79. I tried it, didn't like it, went back to organic Muji 320 pads (2-4 wicks per pad depending on coil size) for $8.79. Gotta wait about a week, but you get it straight from Muji in Japan. Much better and cheaper than Kendo. If you want a better longer lasting wick, Cotton Bacon V2 for as cheap as $3.50 for 10 strips (about 8-20 wicks depending on coil size). Cheers

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

eSMOKA

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
CelluCotton is 100% Rayon. The cotton is in the brand name. The box says 100% rayon fibers that I posted.

They make both cotton and rayon versions...

https://www.grahambeauty.com/products/beauty-coil/

But the company is terrible with it's product packaging. As you can see, one is listed as rayon, and the other. Both boxes have different SKU #s on them, both are 500ft, yet they both say "Rayon" on the box. lol

So if you buy these on Amazon or Ebay, you might get the wrong thing as most ebay and Amazon sellers seem to think that there is only one cellucotton product (rayon). Make sure you know which one you are ordering before you make the purchase. Confirm by asking SKU # on the boxes in stock (if that's even reliable lol)

Goodrat

Member For 4 Years
I used Cellu Cotton for about a year. There's a Sally's nearby and they have small bags for $1 and still using the same bag. It's very easy to use and easy to pull out fibers from the ends to trim down the thickness just right. Any weird taste goes away after a few puffs. However, I noticed compared to cotton (I use CVS sterile cotton balls and also cheap) the rayon seems like the droplets in the vapor are bigger, while cotton is smaller droplets and exhales more smoke like. Also the overall flavor seems better with cotton. So for right now, I'm back to cotton. No boiling with either btw.

ttatlanta

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
the rayon seems like the droplets in the vapor are bigger, while cotton is smaller droplets and exhales more smoke like
You need to pack rayon much tighter into your coils. Rule of thumb is "stuff it like it owes you money" :giggle:

Once you do that, any difference in a droplet size will disappear.

Calikid

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You need to pack rayon much tighter into your coils. Rule of thumb is "stuff it like it owes you money" :giggle:

Once you do that, any difference in a droplet size will disappear.

Goodrat how long you been vaping with the rayon? A huge difference in flavor? Been wanting to try it but was a little nervous about Rayon.
Now that I say that I was not too concerned about all the poison in a cigarette when I lit it so what's your take on it ?

ttatlanta

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Goodrat how long you been vaping with the rayon? A huge difference in flavor? Been wanting to try it but was a little nervous about Rayon.
Now that I say that I was not too concerned about all the poison in a cigarette when I lit it so what's your take on it ?
You're quoting me, but addressing @Goodrat? Well, I'll take charge then, specifically regarding amount of "poison" in rayon. This myth stems from the article about tampon safety on some treehugger's blog some years back. Here, I did a math in another thread.

VU Sponsors