Become a Patron!

Cost to 3d print a box mod? How good of a printer do you need?

Hello all, I hope this is the correct place to ask this. I was wanting to try making my own neat looking box mods. I am not sure which type of printer I would need to get. I see they can vary from $200~ up to around $1600 for normal home sized ones. Anyone have experience either any specific ones they can recommend to make the mods, battery sleds and the like? Also, any idea how much it typically costs in materials per box?

Thanks all!

VaporJoe

_ the end has arrived _
Staff member
VU Owner
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Really depends on how fast you want it to print.

That is understandable. What type of time difference are we talking, a difference of, something like say, hours, or days? I have never really been involved with printers before. Does the price of the printer itself greatly effect the quality of the final product, or does that just come down to the material used? Example being if there were say a $400 printer vs a $1200 printer, could the $400 one print just as good of a products as the later, it would just take longer?

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
What I would do if I were you is to find a forum similar to VU but for 3D printer enthusiast, join and throw yourself on the mercy of their membership.

If their members are as friendly and helpful as the folks here, you should have answers quickly!

BTW, I just saw my first 3D printer in action at my computer store.

It was printing a couple of small toys and Good Lord that thing was slow!

Vlad1

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
You should do a lot of research before you dive in. There are numerous different types on the market and some people have literally spent months getting a decent quality 3d print. There is a steep learning curve if you've not done anything like this prior. Dimensional Cad/Cam work, creating your gcode for the specific controller type and of course running the equipment. I looked into 3d printers about a year ago and instead of going with a 3d printer decided to go with a desktop CNC router/ mill / engraver instead. Similar in function but it's subtractive process instead of additive. The nice thing about the CNC is I can do plastics, soft metals and wood so I have a few options.

VU Sponsors