Copper posts

floresroach

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
How often do I have to clean them? Just got the freak show RDA and it has a copper pos post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TwistedVaper

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I have the Doge v2 and it has a copper center post and I just rinse it off with water every time I change out my coils. Usually about every 2 weeks or less. But honestly I dont think it's too big of a deal, i wouldnt worry about cleaning the copper or anything all the time

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
You don't want to see any bluish/greenish discoloration. That would be copper sulfate, which is toxic.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Do you know why this happens?

Is there a way to prevent it or remove it?

Thanks
The dis-coloring is a sign of oxidation (like rust on iron). In other words, the metal is combining with oxygen atoms. It can't be avoided, 'cause oxigene is almost everywhere to be found, including water. However, it will take a long time, before you'll see it. To gently remove the oxidation, (as silly as it may sound) you could use a regular tooth paste put some on a vapor towel and polish, rinsing it off with water, when done.
My grandmother used to polish her Gold wedding ring and her Silver utensils with tooth paste. I'll do the same on my RDAs when it's time, as well as polish my copper mech mod.

floresroach

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Would never-dull be a bad idea if you wash it off with soap after?

Monotremata

Member For 4 Years
You don't want to see any bluish/greenish discoloration. That would be copper sulfate, which is toxic.
I would be concerned with juices with citric acid in that atty as well. When I was like 6 or 7, mom made a fruit salad to go with dinner in a copper bowl. Halfway through my portion, mom noticed the copper bowl turning green.

I spent all night puking up ipecac syrup in the bathroom. Not a recommend experience for anyone.

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I would be concerned with juices with citric acid in that atty as well. When I was like 6 or 7, mom made a fruit salad to go with dinner in a copper bowl. Halfway through my portion, mom noticed the copper bowl turning green.

I spent all night puking up ipecac syrup in the bathroom. Not a recommend experience for anyone.
That's what they call a forced patina. :)

floresroach

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm just curious about the way the posts patina, because if there was some sort of coating on it, and I use the never-dull, would I have to clean it more often after said coating coating is gone?

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm just curious about the way the posts patina, because if there was some sort of coating on it, and I use the never-dull, would I have to clean it more often after said coating coating is gone?

If there's a coating on the post, it shouldn't oxidize. In addition, I wouldn't use never-dull. Who knows what's in it, and it could dissolve in your liquid. Therefore being inhaled.

floresroach

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'd wash it thoroughly if I used the never-dull.

VU Sponsors